• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine needs a Remake on Switch (and Miyamoto doesn't want to do it)

Neptonic

What you want is a sequel not a remake
Because that game needs a lot more than some spitshine and a better camera to fix it's problems.
Not to mention the lack of analog triggers on switch would mean the main mechanic is crippled.

KayMote

This is getting ridiculous and I'm unable to understand how someone who is replaying this game reachs the conclusion that it needs a remake. Basically because a remake would not fix ANYTHING of its problems, which are overwhelming.

Sunshine doesn't have control, graphic or bug issues. It is not like Wind Waker, a game that with a pair of adjustements fixed a lot of its pacing problems. Sunshine is just an incomplete game with an incredible lack of content and an incredible ammount of stuffing. As I've said in other ocasions, only the first three shines of each world or so are good. After that, the game becomes the very definition of repetition, unpolishing and tedium and nostalgy should not blind people about it:

-Repetitive bonus levels with nothing special about them.
-Revisitations of those bonus levels, in order to get red coins.
-Unpolished levels with gimmick mechanics that are barely unplayable, like the pachinko, the bottle or the waterlily river.
-Terrible missions with tedious ideas like the watermelon festival or Yoshi's fruity adventure.
-More than SEVEN Dark Mario pursuits that are exactly the same.
-THREE battles against the same Gooper Blooper with no twist.
-The worst final level and the worst final battle of any Mario game in Mount Corona.
-240 blue coins hidden in ridiculous places.

Nintendo perfectly aknowledges this and doesn't want people to revive it.

I recently replayed the game with 100% and despite having fun I can honestly say: agreed.

Look, I loved Sunshine, but we don't need a remake.. The new game comes out in months, what do we need a remake for? Plus it still hold up well.

This remake culture is so stupid.

The only Mario remake I'd want is 3D Land for the switch. It would be nice seeing it in HD and on a bigger screen.
But thinking about it I'm not sure how that would work seeing as it had a couple of areas where you definitely needed the 3D.

Raitaro

Look, I loved Sunshine, but we don't need a remake.. The new game comes out in months, what do we need a remake for? Plus it still hold up well.

This remake culture is so stupid.

To each their own but the main reason I'd want a remake of this particular game is because it still has a very unique holiday / beach resort / tropical setting and summer atmosphere that I start craving for when actual summer rolls by. Very few games have that as strongly as this game.

Also, I continue to be baffled by Miyamoto's stance sometimes and how this goes against the rest of Nintendo, leading to an almost hypocritical situation for Nintendo in general.

One one side you get: Zelda? Sure, remake those suckers all you want Aonuma! Mario Kart? Sure, just keep churning them out even if there is little innovation beyond graphics each new game! Star Fox? Just keep remaking the same game in terms of story but do add new control gimmicks!

On the other side: Mario? No, they don't need remakes, we just need new games! F-Zero? No, why would we need a new game if there is little to innovate upon? Kid Icarus? Just make one new game but never follow up on it because why do we need another main stay series?

Mario games, just like Zelda games, are games I go back to because their art and atmosphere are something I sometimes start longing for and want to revisit, not just their gameplay. As such I want them to be available on all modern systems in their original form, but preferably I'd also want them in a form that makes them feel a bit more modern every once in a while. I'd pop in Super Mario Sunshine every summer just to explore the hub and first few levels if I could do that without hooking up a gamecube. Some games just lend themselves for that (...Outrun 2 is another one of those...come on Sega!).

A VC release, sure. A remake? I'm not sure it's really worth the resources to remake Mario games most of the time since they tend to age better than say, Zelda titles (which have gotten numerous remakes and rereleases with much-appreciated QOL changes). I'd even be happy with an HD remaster for it, but if you're asking me which I'd prefer to get that treatment, it's 64 all the way.

Just let it be. Sunshine was disappointing, yes, but it happened, and 3D Marios have only gotten better since then.

It is what it is. Let's move on.

Nesther

Just outsource it to a studio to HD-fy it, like they did with OoT3D. Or straight up VC port it.

I really don't think a full-on remake would be necessary, I'd rather have them spend their resources on new stuff, than fuel the nostalgia of fans.

Honestly I don't really want a remake of Mario Sunshine. Just give me Gamecube VC on Switch and that'll be more than enough. Sunshine is still my favorite 3D Mario game (primarily due to nostalgia) so I just want to play the original again.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well if Nintendo makes a good GameCube emulator then it'll run at 60fps.

9SSHmgI.png

The best you can hope for is clean 480p. Nintendo doesn't to enhancements with their emulators.

Avalanche

Having replayed it recently, I realised I had definitely been looking at it with rose coloured glasses. The unique, focused setting is great and sticks in your memory but there's just no getting around the lack of content. They tried to get to 120 stars to match 64, when it could have easily been a much better game if it was shorter and didn't exhaust the location.

I didn't even hate the blue coins for the most part. I naturally collected a majority of them, they encourage exploration and not just traveling from A to B but getting all of them is simply an unreasonable slog.

As a side note, I loved being able to see other locations during levels and it got me thinking it would be neat if you could A. explore the whole island without loading levels and B. getting a star didn't kick you out like in Odyssey.

DekuLink

I would be content with a HD-version of the original, port, VC, whatever. 60 fps would be nice too. They could give the textures the WWHD treatment also (doing a really great upscale of the original textures rather than re-drawing them)

XandBosch

Breath of fresh air to hear this statement amongst a sea of fuckin' remakes and remasters.

And no, Sunshine doesn't need a remake anyway. Put Gamecube VC on Switch and throw it on there, that'd be more than enough.

rjc571

Banned
9SSHmgI.png

The best you can hope for is clean 480p. Nintendo doesn't to enhancements with their emulators.

False, N64 VC games run at a higher resolution and have fewer fps dips on Wii/WiiU than they did on N64. Though to make Sunshine run at 60 fps they would have to alter the game's code or implement a memory hack to remove the fps cap, which I doubt they would do.

mavo

Banned
Miyamoto authorized like what 4 zelda remakes? Star fox 64 3D.

I read this statement as "i really fucking hate super mario sunshine".

Myriadis

That would require some manpower to fix all these problems the game has.
I had and still have fun with super Mario Sunshine but it definitely has a lot of flaws.
If they would add the four levels that were cut, remove mission 7 from every level, replace some missions or make them better and remove the blue coins or make them unlock some nice bonus stuff instead of shines that would be nice. But that requires a good amount of manpower and money.

iMerc

So you're arguing Nintendo never ports/remasters single-player games for their newer systems? What were Zelda: OOT 3D, Majoras Mask 3D, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Star Fox 64 3D and others, then?

no that's not at all what i'm arguing, as they have obviously done plenty of that in the past.
what i am saying is that for the switch, nintendo seems to be focusing on games with a high level of multiplayer focus. this has been the case with their ports/remasters and recently new titles, too.

I never understand when people talk about this games 'issues'. As a kid I always thought the game was pretty straight forward, and I felt that flud allowed me to platform in creative ways that weren't available in other Super Mario games. In all, I really enjoyed it, much more than Mario 64, or Galaxy.

tkscz

I never understand when people talk about this games 'issues'. As a kid I always thought the game was pretty straight forward, and I felt that flud allowed me to platform in creative ways that weren't available in other Super Mario games. In all, I really enjoyed it, much more than Mario 64, or Galaxy.

This. I've even went back and played not too long ago and the only issue I had was it's ridiculous difficulty curve.

I don't have any real issues with Sunshine other than the fact that it was very unpolished by Nintendo's standards. Frame rate and camera problems all over the place.

That said, I still had an absolute blast playing that game for the most part. I don't think it needs a remake, but it could definitely use a remaster job for sure.

Nah. That game is beyond help. With the amount of work required to turn Super Mario Sunshine into a good game, you may as well just make a sequel using similar mechanics. Hopefully with more thoughtful stage design this time.

budpikmin

I'd rather the premier series in all of videogaming didn't resort to remakes. Mario games are are very pure gameplay first experiences with a focus on tight controls. I feel like remakes are needed when a game has aged badly and feels unplayable to a modern audience. All of the mainline Mario entries still feel good to play to this day. Yes, Sunshine has flaws where the others do not (camera, blue coins are lazy design) but Mario still controls like a dream and it's perfectly accessible to those who would like to play it.

Hakai

Dude Sunshine is bottom of my lists of remakes I want. It's a rushed game filled with unnecessary repetition.

Let them remake SM64 or Galaxy, then we may talk about Sunshine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Miyamoto is smart enough to realize it would take years to fix all the problems with that game.

How about just an HD Galaxy 1 and 2?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Just outsource it to a studio to HD-fy it, like they did with OoT3D. Or straight up VC port it.

I really don't think a full-on remake would be necessary, I'd rather have them spend their resources on new stuff, than fuel the nostalgia of fans.

Nintendo not wanting to make a game means they don't want to spend resources on it. OOT3D required money and internal staff alongside the subcontractor - aka resources.

hitgirl

I've been playing this for the first time on Dolphin. The game is HARD. It makes my damn feet sweat I get so nervous after climbing a tall tower to get a shine star..

they did it on dolphin, 60 fps and HD textures, and it's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZixBquVDCBc

I tried this patch and it's pretty bad. It's fanmade textures and he took a lot of liberty. Look how dark Mario's outfit is.

I'm just playing with heatwave removed and 8k downsampled to 1080p.

Of course he doesn't want to do it. It's the last painful reminder how not everything he spits out is gold.

For months and months, he had kept SMS veiled thinking competition would steal its ideas, then when Nintendo finally shared it with the world no one gave a good god damn.

Ivellios

We don't need to go and remake every single game.

I honestly think Sunshine is fine the way it is, warts and all. It is what it is. We don't need to start George Lucas-ing every game with this revsionist mentality.

It only steals reasources that could've gone into making something new and fresh.

I actually agree with this, though at least a port so you can play Sunshine portable woulndt hurt

emb

I honestly agree with him. I don't feel like many Mario games would benefit much from a modern remake. Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy? All of those already worked great, looked great. World is almost perfect. 1-3 already felt pretty good, but did get All Stars remakes if the visuals bothered you.

I'll take a remaster but it's okay to leave some games alone. We don't need everything to get a remake, but giving it a new coat of paint is something I'm never against.

Top Bottom