• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine needs a Remake on Switch (and Miyamoto doesn't want to do it)

Just make a Super Mario 3D All Stars. Including:

Full remake of Super Mario 64
Remaster of Sunshine
Remaster of Galaxy 1&2
Remaster of 3D World

Watch it print money.

Just make a Super Mario 3D All Stars. Including:

Full remake of Super Mario 64
Remaster of Sunshine
Remaster of Galaxy 1&2
Remaster of 3D World

Watch it print money.
I mean, these games already print money so unless they charged more for it I'm not sure why they wouldn't release them separately.

Yep, in the grand scheme of all Nintendo games released and Mario games in particular it's one of the worst.
Nothing worth preserving from the original game, the only good bits were already ripped off to fit in a much better game : Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

What good bits were ripped and put in galaxy 1 & 2?

8bit

Knows the Score
They can't do any easy port because of the analogue trigger controls for the water gun.

You could use tilt controls instead. Might be a bit tricky but there are options.

I'd just like to enjoy all reading about new players getting to experience the Pachinko table.

Geez, the last thing I want is a Mario Sunshine remake.

The music and levels suck so bad in Sunshine. That game is an insult to the series.

Mael

What good bits were ripped and put in galaxy 1 & 2?

The best secret levels that were lifted from Sunshine are in the Galaxy games.
Yoshi is in SMG2 and is sooooooooooooooooo much better there.
The rest of Sunshine is trash.
Mario controls better in SMG and SM64 anyway.

jts

...hate me...
Geez, the last thing I want is a Mario Sunshine remake.

The music and levels suck so bad in Sunshine. That game is an insult to the series.
Listen here, buddy. You can insult the levels of Sunshine all you want. But you talk shit about that summery, ocean-y arrangement of classic Mario music and we have a problem.

Listen here, buddy. You can insult the levels of Sunshine all you want. But you talk shit about that summery, ocean-y arrangement of classic Mario music and we have a problem.

You're crazy

The music in Sunshine is so damn bad. I just played this game for the first time recently, and all of the music sounds like it could be in any other generic platformer.

Mario 64 was a joy to listen to. Sunshine is so bland and dull in comparison.

Dizagaox

You could use tilt controls instead. Might be a bit tricky but there are options.

I'd just like to enjoy all reading about new players getting to experience the Pachinko table.
Or they could re-release the Gamecube controller. Or have it come with one.

guys, these single player nintendo games aren't going to get any remakes on switch, and the chances of them doing so are low.

if nintendo's going to be porting/remastering/remaking any of their prior titles to switch it will be the multiplayer focused ones like smash.
even something like custom robo has a likely better chance of appearing on switch than a sinlge player focused game like mario sunshine because it takes advantage of the 'multiplayer out of the box' feature that the switch highlights every single time.

*looks at Zelda cart*

*looks back at post*

Screw remakes, if you want to expand on Sunshine just do Sunshine 2

Tbh biggest problem with the game is the lack of worlds really. I won't settle for a remake similar to the 3D Zelda ones where you don't add much content and all while adding minor QOL changes to shut up fanboys on issues that are severly overblown on the internet. They could instead just make a new game using Odyssey engine with tropical environments, fludd as the gimmick rather than the cap thing(it would have more abilities/uses/physics interactions rather than just copypasting) and that would be a much better gift for fans of that game

D.Lo

limited FLUDD control due to the bad right stick in GameCube.
Thread invalid.

It's literally the exact same mechanism (aka easily the top stick tech of the generation mechanically) with a different top. It works flawlessly.

You're crazy

The music in Sunshine is so damn bad. I just played this game for the first time recently, and all of the music sounds like it could be in any other generic platformer.

Mario 64 was a joy to listen to. Sunshine is so bland and dull in comparison.

Whew boy. You are wrong. Very wrong. The correct answer is that both games have stellar sound tracks.

Mario 64 has this fantastic mix of jolly, bouncy tunes mixed with more atmospheric and moody ones. I will forever love it for that. The moody stuff in particular is just perennial. The choice of soundfont was flawless imo given the limitations of the N64. There's honestly something very beautiful about the lower quality, programmed instruments. They seamlessly cement Mario 64 forever as a product of the era it was birthed in, while also carving out an untouchable musical space that will forever belong to the game and nothing else. "Dire Dire Docks" represents that special, unique space to me.

On the other hand, Sunshine takes a much different approach. I really dig it's exploration of a different palette of instrument timbres to create its vibe. To my ears it has a much more bright and shiny theme to its overall musical color choice. Some of the tunes in this game are just beautiful. They have a nice soothing ebb and flow to them. I'm not the biggest fan of Rico Harbor's theme just because it's so in your face, but the rest do a great job of meshing with the overall visual aesthetic of the game in perfect harmony. It was the right choice for the game and they nailed it. Not really sure what is "generic" about it, like you said. It's a score heavily influenced by tropical music, marrying impressive jazz reharmonization of flawless, classic melodies with relaxed, slightly more exotic arrangement in the way instruments are put together.

Whew boy. You are wrong. Very wrong. The correct answer is that both games have stellar sound tracks.

Mario 64 has this fantastic mix of jolly, bouncy tunes mixed with more atmospheric and moody ones. I will forever love it for that. The moody stuff in particular is just perennial. The choice of soundfont was flawless imo given the limitations of the N64. There's honestly something very beautiful about the lower quality, programmed instruments. They seamlessly cement Mario 64 forever as a product of the era it was birthed in, while also carving out an untouchable musical space that will forever belong to the game and nothing else. "Dire Dire Docks" represents that special, unique space to me.

On the other hand, Sunshine takes a much different approach. I really dig it's exploration of a different palette of instrument timbres to create its vibe. To my ears it has a much more bright and shiny theme to its overall musical color choice. Some of the tunes in this game are just beautiful. They have a nice soothing ebb and flow to them. I'm not the biggest fan of Rico Harbor's theme just because it's so in your face, but the rest do a great job of meshing with the overall visual aesthetic of the game in perfect harmony. It was the right choice for the game and they nailed it. Not really sure what is "generic" about it, like you said. It's a score heavily influenced by tropical music, marrying impressive jazz reharmonization of flawless, classic melodies with relaxed, slightly more exotic arrangement in the way instruments are put together.

Again, I think you're crazy.

I realize that it's going for a more sunny tropical theme instead of a various mix like Mario 64, but the music itself just sounds so flat. Most of the time, it just feels like background noise. The music barely adds anything when you're exploring a level. You could probably replace it with pure ocean and beach ambience, and I wouldn't even notice. It just doesn't have any energy or that special pizaaz that makes Mario special.

Listen, here's the music that plays as you make your way to the final boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK1VGgf4xuM

Seriously, it sounds so damn flat. The player is on his final journey to take down bowser and save princess peach, and it plays this...this garbage. I did not notice the music at all when I played this section. Here's Mario 64 by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP9YBVUpdvM&t=516s

Fuck, I am so pumped. I've done so much to reach this moment. I want to fight bowser, and nothing in this level is going to stop me.

This is just Mario 64, I think all the Mario games past it (excluding Sunshine) do an even better job with momentum and energy and tapping into the player's emotions.

Sunshine does nothing for me. The one off tropical levels in other Mario games sound 10x better then anything Sunshine has to offer.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Why would he? It wasnt that good. Aside from a few moments here and there, the game was pretty mediocre. I cringe just thinking about the garbage that was the hotel level.

The best parts of the game were the classic backpack less levels which galaxy did better anyway. We need galaxy remakes before sunshine!

13ruce

Banned
Miyamoto needs to remake OoT and MM in full HD like that fan made MM trailer.

That's my dream artstyle for modern remakes of those 2 games do it!

Or Mario 64 with the ds content and better controls.

Raitaro

Apologies for coming back to this topic but I just watched ExoParadigmGamer's long and in-depth review of Sunshine and it only reminded me more of (A) how unique in theme, feel and enemy designs this game is compared to other, often increasingly bland Mario games (Odyssey notwithstanding), (B) how cool FLUDD is in terms of adding abilities to an already great controlling Mario and (C) how overblown the criticism against this game is especially in light of the almost always universally praised Super Mario 64 (that, as Exo brings up, does a number of the things worse that are criticised in Sunshine as well as some that Sunshine does well).

Sure, the game has wonky dialogue and voice acting as well as some actual problems due to its rushed development cycle as Exo himself admits, but just like he posits in his review - often supported by data analysis mind you - many of these problems are taken way out of proportion if you look at them more objectively (or in comparison to SM64). Discounting the for some too similar summer holiday theming (that I on the contrary view as a big plus and as one of the best reasons for firing up this game again every once in a while, but to each their own), the only big problems that would need fixing are the boss repeats (which are still less prevalent than in SM64 and which are also complemented by really interesting and unique encounters that SM64 lacks), some of the Yoshi sections / limitations and some of the levels or level sections such as the final boat ride, the Pachinko level and the poison river level.

I agree with Exo though that the blue coins are neither a problematic inclusion in most cases (the exception being around 37 of them that are hidden away too well, as Exo's data analysis brings up) nor something that is even unique(ly "problematic") for Sunshine as most collection heavy (praised) platformers have equivalents to them. I actually agree that they can offer nice little incentives to interact with and explore the game world in ways you'd normally wouldn't do if they weren't there and that they, as such, nicely complement the added interactivity potential that FLUDDs water spraying brought to the table.

Sure, the haters here will continue to hate the game even after they watch a video like Exo's (IF they'd even do that), and I'm sure I'll get flak for this post as usual given the overly negative tone in this thread, but I for one would definitely love to see this game be polished up and remade for Switch, especially if they could add some of the cut levels back in. It's still one of the most strikingly unique Mario games (devoid of any of the formulaic nostalgia that plagues many other modern Mario titles) and one of best games to play during summer. Now that Odyssey will hopefully re-awaken people's passion for more open world 3D Mario games, an improved version of Sunshine could be a great thing to have in the near future imo.

db1416

Great he doesn’t have to remake his old games, rerelease them on a Virtual Console type thing. One thing I loath about Nintendo is how they’re currently holding their history hostage on a Wii U system that failed and won’t bring it to Switch for some reason. I don’t need remasters, I already loved the games. Just let me play them on my new console.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Sunshine is my least favourite 3D-Mario game but I don´t think a remake would do it any favors. It´s fine the way it is. A remaster I can understand, revamping it slightly for modern platforms, but other than that it seems like a waste of time. There are many other games in Nintendos portfolio that needs a remake much more than Sunshine.

Rodolink

W
Or so does he say in this interview, that he is not interested in remaking Mario games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/27/e3-2017-shigeru-miyamoto-and-the-legacy-of-mario

I've always loved the game and I am replaying it on Dolphin now, but it has obviously some of problems. From the camera system and the limited FLUDD control due to the bad right stick in GameCube, including the hard to fucking find blue coins. But all this could be fixed in a possible remake. The biggest problem would of course be the analog triggers needed for FLUDD, as Switch does not have those. Still I'm sure they could find a fix using two left triggers to control the intensity.
Why bad right stick? I think it's great, it was the natural evolution from the c buttons, intended only for controlling the camera.

We need a proper sequel to mario 64, which is still the best 3d mario game of all time and probably the best videogame ever made. Odyssey was just not good enough and had too much filler material and duplication.

Sunshine doesn't need a remake, it just needs modern HD 4k textures, and new gen water effects but be nearly the same game.

Only thing they need to change is how much control you have when you're jumping and removing some of the float. Maybe fix some of the grab ledge collision detection and remove the more obtuse puzzles that average people won't figure out like the pachinko machine platform level, also Make Mario move just a tad faster while running on the ground.

Everything else is fine. The issues above may seem like they are small but it really made some levels unbearable or certain platforms a pain to get to. Lack of air control was also a be pain, especially for shortcuts or if you were trying to correct yourself from falling.

Top Bottom