• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World |OT| Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

zroid

Banned
Urgh

I have 90 exits. Still haven't beaten Bowser's Castle or the last three Special Zone levels. Where are those last two! @_@

krae_man

Urgh

I have 90 exits. Still haven't beaten Bowser's Castle or the last three Special Zone levels. Where are those last two! @_@

Likely choices:

Ghost house in the Valley of Bowser
Non Key exit in one of the Star World levels
Key or non key exit in one of the Forrest of illusion levels
That one level in Chocolate Island that just loops you

zroid

Banned
Just Off-TV play and restore points, I guess. :p

or as stated above, European folk got the 60hz NTSC version of the game so I'm sure they consider that an improvement, haha

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I read (here on GAF) Nintendo "added" lag when you play on the Gamepad. I wonder if Nintendo will patch it. Did Nintendo ever patch a VC game? I still need to buy it, probably later this week.

I don't think that's a thing they patch. The controller is wireless. It has latency.

Robin64

The latency felt a little off during the first two or three stages, but the feeling soon went away. It certainly doesn't break the game, it's so miniscule you'll only notice it if you were a Super Mario World player back in the day and remember the game like the back of your hand now.

Natetan

SNES mario games are best mario games. I really miss the aesthetic of the mario world games. It's never been recreated. I wish they would make a cell shaded mario with this aesthetic. and go back to the superior music.

CengizMan

Also decided to replay this game through Wii's Virtual Console. It still is a lot of fun! Not sure if I'm gonna pay €1,50 for the Wii U upgrade. Probably not.

So I think I'm going to start over and do a no cape/blue yoshi run, even as an adult I end up flying over half the levels lol need to stop doing that

Jucksalbe

Banned
Those are some very different genres, though. Both are at least among the best of their respective genres. No reasons to put them against each other. ;)

Don't really like Super Mario World. I could nitpick it's music(there's like, two good songs, the Castle theme and Athletic), it's art/character design(what the hell did they do to Goomba!? Hammer Bros!?), it's slippery play control, but really it just come do to a philosophical difference in what Nintendo was trying to do with SMW compared to the SMB trilogy on NES.

When I play Super Mario platformers, I want tight play control, with some concise challenging and charming level design shaped like obstacle courses. SMW says to hell with that, big open and easy levels! Look at all these secret exits! Here's a feather, you can fly over everything, screw the platforming! Nintendo wanted to go big with the SNES, show what they can do, and by doing that I think they got away from what I came to the series for. It wasn't until SMG they got back to the tighter structure of design, and it wasn't until SMG2 that they got it right and didn't treat you like you never played a video game before.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Must have been said already, the stereo sound coming out of the GamePad is spectacular in this game.

Still as good as ever, my daughters and I are having a blast :)

SNES mario games are best mario games. I really miss the aesthetic of the mario world games. It's never been recreated. I wish they would make a cell shaded mario with this aesthetic. and go back to the superior music.

We already had this come up in another Mario thread. If you take NSMBU, and add eyes to the clouds, you get a perfect Mario World modernized aesthetic.

Bullza2o

This was one of my favorite, most memorable childhood games, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the price for this. At the same time I'm getting closer and closer to buy the game.

zroid

Banned
Don't levels with a secret exits have flashing levels indicators on the world map?

The red dots, yes. I had gotten all of those. Thought it might have been a Ghost House or two, but as someone astutely pointed out, I hadn't cleared the standard exits in two of the Star Road levels. Those don't open new paths so there's no clear indicator. >.<

Platy

The red dots, yes. I had gotten all of those. Thought it might have been a Ghost House or two, but as someone astutely pointed out, I hadn't cleared the standard exits in two of the Star Road levels. Those don't open new paths so there's no clear indicator. >.<

When I played for the first time I didn't knew a word in english ... so I feel so clever when I discovered that ! =D

I kinda wanted to kill those speakers when I replayed the game knowing english =P

As much as I do love SMW i'm not so big on the secret exits these days, I finished the game earlier in the week with 48 exits so now i'm off to clean up the rest of them but there's just so many exits that feel awkwardly placed.
That is to say exits right next to other exits (Forest of Illusion Ghost House, Valley of Bowser 4, Star Road 2 and others come to mind) so you effectively just end up playing through the whole level again with a slight twist at the finish. I guess it was pretty neat back when I was a kid first trawling through Dinosaur Land, stumbling across a slight route variation was like a grand discovery and skipping past potentially troublesome stages. But now i'd rather just tackle every stage on my way to the finish without having to dive back into certain stages to nip up another path, while I don't agree with all of JC's post up there I can say that the focus on exploring levels or a puzzle like takes on things tend to get in the way of the straight up platforming goodness, one area where SMB3 remains king with its mostly focused obstacle course design (though SMB3 did have the odd alternative style stage as well).

This probably explains why i've never been a fan of Ghost Houses. Well at least I've already got Valley of Bowser 2 out of the way. Someone remind me if the Forest of Illusion Ghost House has three exits? like one of them has the 3 up moon in front of the exit and the exit itself does nothing on the map.

zroid

Banned
heh

56CKaNp.png

Robin64

The ghost houses in SMW are the only ghost houses I've ever really liked. They really play tricks on you as you try to find the real exit. Even the first one has you having to go through that room twice to make a beanstalk appear, rather than a P switch (which leads to a detour). Very clever stuff.

Later ghost houses in newer games are just mostly linear but with "odd" stuff happening, like floating floors and teleport paintings.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The ghost houses in SMW are the only ghost houses I've ever really liked. They really play tricks on you as you try to find the real exit. Even the first one has you having to go through that room twice to make a beanstalk appear, rather than a P switch (which leads to a detour). Very clever stuff.

Later ghost houses in newer games are just mostly linear but with "odd" stuff happening, like floating floors and teleport paintings.

I really enjoyed the ghost houses in 3D land.

Top Bottom