• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Marvel vs Capcom: Hype Train to Comic Con; Now Boarding! Lupinko @ post 500+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

*Strider, Phoenix Wright, Asura, Apocalypse, Frank West and Jubilee are all pretty much confirmed. That's 6 chars... 4 Capcom and 2 Marvel. At the very least 2 more Marvel characters are going to be in this for the "even" rule.

*I wrote off Vergil until I saw the Tony Jay hint. Virgil and twins immediately caught my attention. He's a possibility although it's still a stretch.

*Either one of Ghost Rider or Mephisto are likely. Since they both share a universe, the hints are sort of in the same realm. The fact that Lupinko mentions Ghost Rider after saying he won't give any freebies... I am going with Mephisto. "the greatest trick the devil ever pulled" sounds like Mephisto.

*There's going to be a Spider Man villain in this. Dr Octopus and Venom are likely candidates and they are both hinted at. Dr Octopus probably has a stronger case because he is already in the MVC3 disc and Marvel doesn't really like old skool Venom that much to want him in the game. He is however the #1 most wanted character for MVC3.

*I am actually not that convinced on Gambit but the hints are there if you really wanna reach. There is some Canadian reference which I don't what the reference is to but I am guessing it's Gambit's actor. Gambit isn't actually Canadian though.

*Cable/Bishop... a lot of hints have been thrown here even going as far as to deconfirm a character. I want Cable in but I think Capcom wants Bishop (even though they will end up playing same). One of them is in the game.

*Hardac, robot chick, Blade Runner... all of these are related. Roll is a possibility but I don't want her especially not without Megaman. Megaman is one of Capcom's biggest mascot, no way they will exclude him. If robot chick wasn't there, I would've locked in Megaman (some form). PN03 too but obscure.

*Rival School character... possible but I don't know. Seems really obscure but I would dig this. Obscure isn't really out of Capcom's territory at this point.

*Elektra/Daredevil... the line about the blind man and the stage in MVC3. Elektra was also rumored a while ago. Don't know but it's up in the air.

I still question this, for some reason. Why would Niitsuma imply that in a video posted back in 2010?
Likely because those characters were going to be DLC. The video came out around Christmas, and the game was already done by that point aside from balance tweaks. He knew how many DLC characters we were going to get - this stuff all gets planned years in advance.

Did you ever see the leaked Blizzard Entertainment timeline? They had titles planned out by release for the next decade. The idea that Capcom waits to see how MvC3 sells before starting a plan for Super MvC3 is ludicrous - it was all there.

But hey, if that's not good enough for someone, just remember when Lupinko initially tweeted, he mentioned how SSFIV did it about right, and that added 10 characters. So, 4 is definitely underestimating.

*Hardac, robot chick, Blade Runner... all of these are related. Roll is a possibility but I don't want her especially not without Megaman. Megaman is one of Capcom's biggest mascot, no way they will exclude him. If robot chick wasn't there, I would've locked in Megaman (some form). PN03 too but obscure.
It looks like we're getting Megaman Starforce. Someone on GFAQs made an argument that the Blade Runner stuff is about Jubilee:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995375-marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds/59683384

Gene not being in enzo's post breaks my heart.

Please Capcom I would pay $300 for just a Gene DLC.
Gene has less of a chance than a Breath of Fire character. Niitsuma at least knows what Breath of Fire is. When someone asked him about Gene, Niitsuma said "Who?"

Azure J

kirblar said:
It's a version that'd translate better into a fighter than Classic or X.

Because any version would translate better than Classic or X.

You shut your mouth! X has the potential to be a higher mobility ranged/zoning version of goddamned Dante. If a nimble Swiss army knife shooting robot that can change between heavy offense and ranged shenanigans via armor changes at will can't be adapted well into the MVC3 environment, then Capcom employs some of the most creatively barren fighting planners in the biz.
Judging from how well they've done with MVC3 vanilla, that doesn't seem true.

Dahbomb

I don't get why people get so thrilled about zoning/long ranged characters in MVC3... unless they tweak the system these characters are at a huge disadvantage in the game. Megaman is going to need a lot of tools to be viable in this game.

I am really interested to see how Capcom plans to make Phoenix Wright viable.

DR2K

Banned
My guess list

Capcom
Strider (fan demand)
Megaman (fan demand)
Frank West (supposed to be in MVC3)
Roll (for shits an giggles)
Asura character (marketing shit)

Marvel
Cyclops (huge X-Men push, schism storyline)
Elektra (was supposed to be in MVC3)
MsMarvel (marvel is in need of popular female reps)
Venom (fan demand)
Doc Oc (supposed to be in MVC3)

Dahbomb said:
*Rival School character... possible but I don't know. Seems really obscure but I would dig this. Obscure isn't really out of Capcom's territory at this point.
Rival Schools isn't that obscure.

And if Capcom doesn't include at least one person from the series, I'm gonna pout. ;_;

Phoenix Wright's probably going to have a moveset made up of counters and assist helpers (Franziska, Gumshoe, etc.)

Even if he ends up being Hsien-Ko tier bottom tier, I'll main the fuck out of him.

Azure J

Dahbomb said:
I don't get why people get so thrilled about zoning/long ranged characters in MVC3... unless they tweak the system these characters are at a huge disadvantage in the game. Megaman is going to need a lot of tools to be viable in this game.

I am really interested to see how Capcom plans to make Phoenix Wright viable.

Personally, I wouldn't want X to be represented solely by his projectiles, especially when there's quite a bit that can be pulled from to make a moveset. I'm just curbing my own expectations though given that people always associate Megamen not named Trigger to jumping and shooting and Capcom seems to share similar feelings (see Nitsuma's deconfirmation of a Megaman character a few weeks/days before MVC3 launch).

I'd kill for a well balanced "Dante'd" X though.

Karsticles said:
Gene has less of a chance than a Breath of Fire character. Niitsuma at least knows what Breath of Fire is. When someone asked him about Gene, Niitsuma said "Who?"

I know but he would be such a perfect fit for a Capcom VS. title. He already has specific attack moves and although God Hand isn't perfect its obscure enough in my opinion to be a unique addition in a growing list of "poster-boy" characters.

I'm still pumped for possible Jubilee, Chuck Greene, and Wright

CAPCOM

Strider
Megaman (some version of him)
Phoenix Wright
Frank West/Chuck Greene
Asura
Vergil (OH GOD PLEASE)

MARVEL

Apocalypse
Jubilee
Ghost Rider/Mephisto
Cable/Bishop
Dr Octopus/Venom
Gambit
This list must be false for the simple reason that Master_Chibi said we will get either Gill, Mysterio, or Dr. Strange. I think we can rule out Ghostrider, and I'm not sure about Apocalypse - too obvious.

Because Super MvC3 is a different game.

SmithnCo

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Phoenix Wright's probably going to have a moveset made up of counters and assist helpers (Franziska, Gumshoe, etc.)

Even if he ends up being Hsien-Ko tier bottom tier, I'll main the fuck out of him.

Yeah, he would probably have a moveset based on using evidence items and maybe make use of stuff like the whip and coffee mugs through assists or just by themselves.

Also I kinda want a courtroom stage with a bunch of PW cameos but that's probably asking too much, lol. Maybe a Fortune City stage.

N4Us

If they put in a Rival Schools character it's probably a high chance for Batsu, because TvC model ready and all.

I'm a little hype since we currently know nothing, which means there's an off chance for more DMC love -- I know it would be a troll to all your Vergil supporters, but if I could get Nero? That's worth my $40 straight up. Add in Strider and I might actually stick with the game for a bit this time. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
*Strider, Phoenix Wright, Asura, Apocalypse, Frank West and Jubilee are all pretty much confirmed. That's 6 chars... 4 Capcom and 2 Marvel. At the very least 2 more Marvel characters are going to be in this for the "even" rule.

*I wrote off Vergil until I saw the Tony Jay hint. Virgil and twins immediately caught my attention. He's a possibility although it's still a stretch.

*Either one of Ghost Rider or Mephisto are likely. Since they both share a universe, the hints are sort of in the same realm. The fact that Lupinko mentions Ghost Rider after saying he won't give any freebies... I am going with Mephisto. "the greatest trick the devil ever pulled" sounds like Mephisto.

*There's going to be a Spider Man villain in this. Dr Octopus and Venom are likely candidates and they are both hinted at. Dr Octopus probably has a stronger case because he is already in the MVC3 disc and Marvel doesn't really like old skool Venom that much to want him in the game. He is however the #1 most wanted character for MVC3.

*I am actually not that convinced on Gambit but the hints are there if you really wanna reach. There is some Canadian reference which I don't what the reference is to but I am guessing it's Gambit's actor. Gambit isn't actually Canadian though.

*Cable/Bishop... a lot of hints have been thrown here even going as far as to deconfirm a character. I want Cable in but I think Capcom wants Bishop (even though they will end up playing same). One of them is in the game.

*Elektra/Daredevil... the line about the blind man and the stage in MVC3. Elektra was also rumored a while ago. Don't know but it's up in the air.
Well none of those sections were meant to be convincing, just a compilation of guesses that we have so far.

And I don't put it past Niitsuma to scrap characters. I can easily see Elektra and DocOck getting the boot in favour of highly requested characters. Maybe they'll show up later as DLC, but they would also have to produce parity on the Capcom side. I do put it past them to put half-assed characters in for the sake of evening things up. They seemed pretty set with their goals on which characters to add and why in the original cast.

Karsticles said:
This list must be false for the simple reason that Master_Chibi said we will get either Gill, Mysterio, or Dr. Strange. I think we can rule out Ghostrider, and I'm not sure about Apocalypse - too obvious.

Because Super MvC3 is a different game.
You really believe that they will tweak the entire dynamic of MvC3 combat, that's also so OTG based to accomodate zoning characters? I mean, I expect buffs, but systemically I don't think they'll be as good as long as teleports are around.

And out of all of those I'd have to say Dr. Strange would get in. Tweak that list to have Strange in place of Gambit and Venom in place of DocOck. I think Apocalypse was a freebie too. He had way too many direct references to Apocalypse, no subtlety or anything.

You really believe that they will tweak the entire dynamic of MvC3 combat, that's also so OTG based to accomodate zoning characters? I mean, I expect buffs, but systemically I don't think they'll be as good as long as teleports are around.
IMO, teleporters aren't what make zoning hard. It's the lack of strong spacing assists. Marvel 2 had all kinds of invincible assists or assists with monstrously fast startup that could create immediate space. In Marvel 3, assists are so vulnerable - there are only two invincible assists.

If Capcom took every single AA assist (Shoryuken, Thunder Knuckle, Lightning Attack, etc.) and gave it startup invincibility, I guarantee you that zoning would be stronger in this game. Right now, the big thing holding dedicated zoning back is that zoners only have two assists to choose from.

And out of all of those I'd have to say Dr. Strange would get in. Tweak that list to have Strange in place of Gambit and Venom in place of DocOck. I think Apocalypse was a freebie too. He had way too many direct references to Apocalypse, no subtlety or anything.
Assuming we're right on Mephisto, and I think we are, it seems like Lupinko doesn't ever want to reference a character directly. It might seem like Apocalypse is a freebie, but we thought Ghostrider was in because of all of his references, too. In the end, Ghostrider was just there as a means to link to Mephisto.

So, what if Apocalypse was just put there as a way to eventually get us to Gambit?

lupinko said:
Man that is very elaborate.
Did we figure out one of the riddles? Mephisto?

It would be nice to get confirmation when there's a strong agreement across several forums that one of the puzzles have been solved.

Right now I'm thinking something like this:
Capcom:
Megaman Starforce
Phoenix Wright
Strider Hiryu
Frank West
Gill
Vergil

Marvel:
Jubilee
Rogue
Mephisto
Gambit
Bishop
Venom

Haha, want to tell me what % of these are correct? ;-)

I want everyone to take a look at this picture and TELL ME he doesn't belong in SMvC3.

Darkhawk_4_Cover_Redo.jpg

Karsticles said:
Maybe for a Transformers fighting game or something.

C'mon man, have some creativity. I mean am I the only one who see's his potential?

war-of-kings-darkhawk-2.jpg

Let me put it to you this way, think Ken the Eagle/Joe the Condor meet Tekkaman Blade ( minus the staff) gameplay.

Dahbomb said:
Not technically but (all of this is from wikepedia)

Gambit remains fiercely proud of his Louisiana heritage, and speaks in a very thick Cajun accent.

Cajuns (play /ˈkeɪdʒən/; French: les Cadiens or les Acadiens, [le kadjɛ̃, lez‿akadjɛ̃]) are an ethnic group mainly living in the U.S. state of Louisiana, consisting of the descendants of Acadian exiles (French-speakers from Acadia in what are now the Canadian Maritimes).

Acadia (in the French language Acadie) was the name given to lands in a portion of the French colonial empire of New France, in northeastern North America that included parts of eastern Quebec, the Maritime provinces, and modern-day Maine

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karsticles said:
Assuming we're right on Mephisto, and I think we are, it seems like Lupinko doesn't ever want to reference a character directly. It might seem like Apocalypse is a freebie, but we thought Ghostrider was in because of all of his references, too. In the end, Ghostrider was just there as a means to link to Mephisto.

So, what if Apocalypse was just put there as a way to eventually get us to Gambit?

Did we figure out one of the riddles? Mephisto?

It would be nice to get confirmation when there's a strong agreement across several forums that one of the puzzles have been solved.

Right now I'm thinking something like this:
Capcom:
Megaman Starforce
Phoenix Wright
Strider Hiryu
Frank West
Gill
Vergil

Marvel:
Jubilee
Rogue
Mephisto
Gambit
Bishop
Venom

Haha, want to tell me what % of these are correct? ;-)
Oh my god reading up on SRK now and..

Ghost Rider is the medium for the message that is Mephisto. I think we can put that one in the bag. Looking forward to your Bishop post, I've kind of blindsided Bishop because of my anger that they would arbitrarily take Cable out and put Bishop in instead. Doesn't make much sense to me when they can just grab nostalgia and cool factor all in one by putting Cable in again.

EDIT: New tweet, possibly referring to older tweets:

lupinko Lance Lingos
wow, that's pretty cool how Verbal ended up doing a collab with Kylie Minogue after all

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have weird feeling that we might have 12 characters for SMVC3 then we might get 4 DLC characters to make it perfect square of roster if they used same character selection screen.

IntelliHeath said:
I have weird feeling that we might have 12 characters for SMVC3 then we might get 4 DLC characters to make it perfect square of roster if they used same character selection screen.

That's always been my theory. 2 this year to round it out. 10 for SMVC3 next year then 4 more for dlc. 54 characters, just 2 short of MVC2.

As for the current guesses, I'm down with that roster. Jubilee, Mephisto and Bishop I'm kinda iffy on, though. I don't think anyone hears of vampire Jubilee and doesn't goes wtf, Mephisto (aka Satan I guess) just seems like he'd be too OP and you already got Dormammu as a badass demon god guy and I never cared for Bishop (too similar to Cable from what I've seen).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
robut said:
That's always been my theory. 2 this year to round it out. 10 for SMVC3 next year then 4 more for dlc. 54 characters, just 2 short of MVC2.

As for the current guesses, I'm down with that roster. Jubilee, Mephisto and Bishop I'm kinda iffy on, though. I don't think anyone hears of vampire Jubilee and doesn't goes wtf, Mephisto (aka Satan I guess) just seems like he'd be too OP and you already got Dormammu as a badass demon god guy and I never cared for Bishop (too similar to Cable from what I've seen).

Bishop could be annoying if he can absorb the projectiles to heal himself. (via trish's super, magneto's beam and etc)

if I remember his ability correctly.

The list of potential characters sounds great, however I definately will NOT be paying for any new content, unless it includes spectator mode.
I dont care if there is a 5 second delay when viewing. I just want to be able to look at something, ANYTHING, while other people play.
I only play fighting games online, and without spectator mode, there is no online IMO.
I really hope Capcom have worked something out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
IntelliHeath said:
Bishop could be annoying if he can absorb the projectiles to heal himself. (via trish's super, magneto's beam and etc)

if I remember his ability correctly.

No healing. Just allows him to discharge the energy as force blasts.

Tizoc

Dahbomb said:

I debunk much of what you wrote since it doesn't feature Sigma =/

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Naked Prime said:
The real question is, if Bishop is in...will we get bald & angry Bishop, jheri curl Bishop or Al Sharpton perm Bishop?

Yeah. Current Bishop is pretty much Hitler level evil. Don't really want either version in the game though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Starphoenix said:
C'mon man, have some creativity. I mean am I the only one who see's his potential?

war-of-kings-darkhawk-2.jpg

Let me put it to you this way, think Ken the Eagle/Joe the Condor meet Tekkaman Blade ( minus the staff) gameplay.

Naaa, I'd love to see Darkhawk in the game. If they use all the abilities he had in the past as well, we'd have a grappling hook, the possibility to use different armors, access to Evilhawk's staff, whatever weapons they'd like to give him... he could really be as exciting as they'd wanna make him.

He also does seem like the kinda character Capcom could run with, and make their version of very cool, and memorable.

Naked Prime said:
The real question is, if Bishop is in...will we get bald & angry Bishop, jheri curl Bishop or Al Sharpton perm Bishop?

At least 2 outta 3, probably the most recent on one end, and the most Iconic / Fanboy please on the other. I'd vote for more modern baldy, and Classic Xmen animation for DLC/Alt costume.

----

Anywho, not super hyped till we have some solid info, hopefully at ComCon. While I do look forward strongly to how gloriously these new characters will be animated, and what changes Capcom will make towards MvC3's systems, the reality of MvC3, and the crappy slowness of content delivery since it's release, dulls the hype...

*throws note into MvCtrain, goes back to permanent seat in KoF hype train*

Karsticles said:
I think it's Mephisto:
1) The video regarding Hell's Kitchen.
2) Bruce Campbell was in all 3 Spider-man films; who biffed up Spidey's life? Mephisto.
3) "The greatest trick the devil ever did was convincing the world he didn't exist" - what if "he" is Spider-man?
4) Very red, obviously.

This all could hint at Daredevil too.

Hell's Kitchen is Daredevil's birthplace and place of operations.
Spider-Man and Daredevil are very close friends, they even share parts of their villains.
At one point Daredevil in the comics became the Kingpin, and Daredevil as a crime fighter disappeared.
And he's red. :V

Edit: Just saw the link to SRK, guess it isn't DD. Alas.

I hate how capcom are using characters from recent games rather than old games but I am really interested in Asura's Wrath so I don't mind the main guy in it in mvc3 :D

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. However unlikely I'd love Darkhawk. Marvel gave him a bit of a push last year I think. But he hasn't been somewhat prominent since then.

Kurtofan

Haha I was reading TvC wikipedia page and found this about Phoenix Wright:
Since Phoenix doesn't move from the waist down in his original game environment, the team considered adding tires to his desk and having the entirety move as a single character.
This is the best mental image.

Dahbomb said:
What the hell is Megaman Starforce? LOLOLOL!!!!

If Capcom puts in that version of MM over MMX, that's the biggest troll in gaming history. Unless there is something about Starforce that I don't know about.

I want X more than anything, but in terms of power I believe Star force megaman is the most powerful from them all... Since he can effect things in the FM world and real world... I played the first game for DS and watched the anime for a bit... hes pretty fucking powerful.

But I still want X!!!!

GatorBait

sersteven said:
Gene not being in enzo's post breaks my heart.

Please Capcom I would pay $300 for just a Gene DLC.
You know, Gene was my #1 hope for a character addition for SMvC3, but from the videos I've seen so far, I would be OK with Asura being a "replacement" for him since Gene seems so unlikely. It seems like they'd both have pretty similar playstyles...and Asura can grow six motherfucking arms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom