• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Website is up!

ZeoVGM

Banned
camineet said:
SSBM on Gamecube had Dreamcast-class graphics, maybe even below DC-level.

It's not a troll, but you do realize that an opinion doesn't count if it's factually incorrect, right?

Meier

camineet said:
SSBM on Gamecube had somewhere above Dreamcast-class graphics, but not quiet upto the level of what Gamecube was capable of.

Just had to chime in on how ridiculous this is. :lol

camineet said:
I just played SSBM again, I take back what I said. it's been a few years since I played it, sorry.
character-.jpg

Firestorm

momolicious said:
anyone else think the big character portraits will get in the way of the action>?

Yes, I thought that as soon as I saw it. I think most people have already had the OLD icons get in the way during hectic free for alls where the action is divided.

I'm guessing those big face icons will only show up during timed play? You know that these screens are from timed play because lives are subtracted with +1 and -1. Maybe on stock play you still get mini heads of the character you're playing as like in the old games. I can't see how else they'd show your stock count, unless with a number over the big head. But that seems kinda cluttered.

radiuhm

FlightOfHeaven said:
Glad to see he came to his senses. I always thought Melee was an impressive looking game.

Yea especially Dream Land or w/e that kirby stage is that is out of space and has the water fountain, that stage is beautiful and the music is perfect.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Toru Minageshi- Twilight Princess

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't let this monkey near my game, damn it! He'll sully it! :(

But yeah, what can I say that hasn't been said already? Nintendo's going all out for this game, and it makes sense and all, but ****!!!!

Next gen. music just got ****ing OWNED.

KINGMOKU

Well, to me the news about the music/talent is just awesome. It shows Nintendo is pulling out all the stops with this game. Future awesomeness is upon us folks. Folks. Folks. Man that word is strange if you keep saying it. Folks. Folks. Elbow. Elbow. Thats another wierd one.

I want some more news damn it!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously, checking it out, this seems like they're putting effort in orders of magnitude higher than even something like Galaxy.

I mean this game..

-Got it's own trailer at its own private screening.
-A website launched a whole year before launching
-The biggest list of composers ever assembled

I mean, yeah SSBM was their best selling game last gen. but still.

Oblivion said:
Seriously, checking it out, this seems like they're putting effort in orders of magnitude higher than even something like Galaxy.

I mean this game..

-Got it's own trailer at its own private screening.
-A website launched a whole year before launching
-The biggest list of composers ever assembled

I mean, yeah SSBM was their best selling game last gen. but still.
And now I just want to see what they have been doing all this time, and maybe the thing in your tag without the tights, and I want to see it online, NOW.....

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Sakuraba appearing on that list has raised my hopes for Guilo appearing in the game.

Please don't crush my dreams, they are ever so fancy.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Firestorm said:
basic01_070522c.jpg

Is it just me or does Mario's u-tilt seem to have a lot more knockback than it used to... o_o
Seems alright for the most part? I mean, the guy is at 100%+

It's not like Link is in any danger of being knocked out.

Firestorm

RubxQub said:
Seems alright for the most part? I mean, the guy is at 100%+

It's not like Link is in any danger of being knocked out.

Yeah, but nobody went that high from his u-tilt even at like 200% in the last game iirc.

tiong_fi said:
I will sell my PAL Wii and buy an US one if NoE screws this one up. ::angrypanda

Don't worry, if it's like Melee you'll get the superior version.

Dr.Hadji

Oblivion said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't let this monkey near my game, damn it! He'll sully it! :(

Hey TP had some nice tunes, besides we don't even know which ones he did. And besides besides, everyone can always do better.

CurseoftheGods said:
How was it superior?

They basically balanced the game a bit better in subtle ways. For instance, I THINK Sheik's f-air was nerfed a bit (it's ridiculously overpowered in the NTSC release). I know for sure that they nerfed Falco's d-air spike (it's only spikes at the beginning of the attack animation). There are a bunch of subtle changes like this, but since I've never played the PAL release, I don't know what they are. Overall, it seems to be the more balanced version.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm super stoked about the announcement of all these composers, but I think everyone's reading far too much into it.

I imagine that these composers were all hired to do one or two themes from previous Nintendo games/Smash Bros. games simply to give each stage and/or menu it's own flavor. Oh, and the fact that it's one hell of a PR blitz at the same time. ^^

Firestorm

CurseoftheGods said:
How was it superior?

Copie + pasted from Nintendude's post at GameFAQs which is copied from MrSilver's post at SmashBoards:

This game currently has 4 different versions, 3 NTSC and PAL. Your game’s version number is on the backside of the disk. It’s difficult to read. On one of the inner rings, there is some text that says 0.xx You have either 0.00, 0.01, or 0.02. The newest version is PAL, and doesn’t have the numbers on the bottom. The differences between the NTSC and PAL versions are:

Marth falls over from Fox's shine in PAL.

Bowser, Kirby and Yoshi are heavier in PAL.

Marth, Fox and Mario are lighter in PAL.

Falco's dair now only spikes for the first half of the animation. The rest sends them slightly up.

Sheik's uair isn't as strong in PAL.

Marth's dair is Meteor smash, not spike in PAL.

Fox's down and forward smash are less powerful in PAL.

Yoshi's forward smash is more powerful in PAL.

Peach's dash attack is less powerful in PAL.

Luigi's nair is less powerful in PAL.

Ganon's dair was weakened, from 22% in NTSC to 21% in PAL.

Yoshi's dair was weakened, from 44% in NTSC to 36% in PAL.

Fox's fair has more range on it's hitbox in PAL.

DI on Sheik's dthrow has been changed so that it can no longer chain in PAL.

Fox can tech out of Falcos dthrow in PAL.

Bowser's dthrow now hits Mr. Gn'W in PAL.

Link's super jump glitch was removed in PAL.

Samus's extended grapple beam was removed in PAL.

The IC glitch was removed in PAL.

The Japanese language option was dropped in PAL in favor of Italian, French, Spanish and German. Jigglypuff also sings (Up+B) her name in the language Smash is set to.

Names can now include upper and lower case letters but no Japanese character set.

In the English language setting, distances are measured in meters.

Lag and loading times have been reduced in PAL.

The 'Special Movie' was removed in PAL.

^^^ That list is from SWF and MrSilver, meaning that I take no credit for it.

The differences between the three NTSC versions are mostly minor changes such as increasing the length of HRC track and removing some glitches.

Basically:
Uber characters less uber.
lol characters less lol.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wait, I just noticed something...

They made yoshi's forward smash more powerful? Holy crap, it was already one of the most powerful smashes in the game (and useful, since yoshi pulled his head back, so he could dodge an attack while charging.)

I can't imagine there being any significant differences between JPN, NA, and PAL versions of Brawl since it's supposed to be worldwide online. Or am I missing something?

Dr.Hadji

Firestorm said:
Yeah, but nobody went that high from his u-tilt even at like 200% in the last game iirc.

An exageration I hope. Link dies from a 200% Up-tilt, easily.

*Edit* I just checked in traing mode, the knockback looks to be the exact same.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dr.Hadji said:

I'm not surprised: the move balances and attributes were one of the last things to be changed in Melee. Most of the early SSBM trailers still have the same move physics as in SSB64

Firestorm

Dr.Hadji said:

I see. Guess my friend just never used it on me enough.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Gekkonidae said:
Japan time is metric. Duh.

A common misconception. In fact Japan dropped the metric time system (JMT) after the war.

Japan now uses the JWTFT system which has 346 seconds to every minute, 2 minutes to every hour and 9,028 hours to every day.

At the moment it's 6,781:01 over there.

Neomoto

Well the site looks cool, the launch had less info than I thought though and I was keeping the expectations low already lol.

Very cool that stages undergo transformation based on time though.
And I too need to say something about that list of music componers... it is made of pure awesome and win.

Top Bottom