• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Website is up!

Aeris130 said:
darthvader.gif
ask and you shall recieve,
Noooooo.jpg

Firestorm

Fireblend said:
Yasunori Mitsuda
(PROCYON STUDIO CO., LTD.) CHRONO TRIGGER / XENOGEARS

YES!

I thought the same thing O_O

Also, listen to my tale of woe:
Yesterday, around 9:30 PM, my internet went down. I was very annoyed. Went to bed, got up early (7 AM) to see if it was back up. After 30 minutes of randomly fiddling with shit, the third reset of my router finally fixed it. I was so scared I'd miss everything =(

When did it update?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Holy shit at the composer list! And the new screens look really awesome, such a leap over nearly every other Wii game. I haven't gotten this hyped over a game in a LOOOONG time.....

IGN say:

intendo followed up on its promise from last week with a big update to the Smash Bros. Brawl official website. Lucky for us, the update can be viewed the the language of your choice, including English!

The site is a bit lacking in new content at this point, but there are a few notable points. According to the English (US) and Japanese sites, the game is indeed due out for release some time this year. Other versions don't list a release date.

The site also lists a huge staff of musicians who are lending their talent to the project. The list includes everyone from Nintendo's own Koji Kondo to such familiar videogame composers as Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba and Noriyuki Iwadare. Visit the music page for a sample track.

We're expecting to have more details on Smash Bros. shortly, so once you've had your fill at the official site, keep checking back here at IGN Wii

More soon? Yay!

evilromero said:
Did they say it wasn't in 16:9? That would surprise the hell out of me if it ran in standard aspect ratio. All Nintendo games are 16:9.
Not WarioWare Smooth Moves, but that's due to the nature of most of the minigames' playing fields being designed as a fixed immovable area of one 4:3 screen.

The list of composers was great and the menu 1 music actually made me smile :lol . Graphics are looking nice as well. Wasn't expecting too much, did think he'd have a new vid as well but oh well.

The site is a bit lacking in new content at this point, but there are a few notable points. According to the English (US) and Japanese sites, the game is indeed due out for release some time this year. Other versions don't list a release date.

Oh oh. Please don't make Europe wait till next year. :(

Sorry guys, I just woke up and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but notice how the "How to Play" icon on the menu of the site is a sideways wiimote, NES style...

Could it be? There are about half as many buttons as you need!

Wow. Holy crap at the composer list. It's... damn.

So, we have awesome music, stages that actively go through the course of a day, new damage icons (excellent!), spiffy graphics, and did I mention the excellent music?

I owned Melee before I owned a GC. Seems I'm going to get this day 1 again.

It better ****ing release while I'm in the States. *shakes fist*

WastingPenguins said:
Sorry guys, I just woke up and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but notice how the "How to Play" icon on the menu of the site is a sideways wiimote, NES style...

Move with the D-pad, up is jump, down is crouch. 1 is normal attack, 2 is special attack. A is block. What did I miss?

ari

Banned
Dante said:
What kind of point were you trying to prove? it doesn't look better then my lovely ps3.

why are you trolling in this thread dante, i have never seen you so vulnerable at my stay at gaf. You troll the halo 3 threads saying "why is people getting excited about cg".
How funny, seeing you get excited about killolzone 2. now your trolling a wii thread, haterade comes in many flavors dante. your flavor is shitty. The only reason your hating on ssbb is because its gonna sell better then every ****ing game sony will throw out this year. Yea i said it, and yea thats why your in here, know please go bounce in and lolsony thread so you can get made fun of even more.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gekkonidae said:
Move with the D-pad, up is jump, down is crouch. 1 is normal attack, 2 is special attack. A is block. What did I miss?

Grabs. But you might be able to finagle the B trigger with that. Plus I think lots of people prefer to jump with a button.

Anyway I hope they don't force the sideways Wiimote configuration. I really hate how small the d-pad is on the Wiimote. The one on the classic controller is much better.

WastingPenguins said:

A Wiimote inspired control scheme would have to include a lot of waggle to compensate for missed buttons.

I would speculate this would be the control scheme on the sideways Wiimote

A: Normal Attacks --> 1
B: Special Attacks --> 2
X: Jump --> waggle up/d-pad up
Z: Grab --> waggle sideways
L/R: Shield --> B
C-Stick: Smashes --> more waggle?
Analog: Movement --> D-Pad

A button is pretty much useless because you need to be using the d-pad at all times. + and - buttons used regularly would be a stretch.

Threi

notag
Gekkonidae said:

Dashing.

i would prefer controls like this if they must have wiimote only:

Normal Attacks --> 1
Special Attacks --> wiimote shake
Jump --> 2
Grab --> A
C-Stick: Smashes --> not REALLY needed - direction + 1 works as well
Analog: Movement --> D-Pad (Double tap to dash)

WastingPenguins said:

I noticed that too. I'm sure the classic controller will also be supported though.
But who needs buttons when we have WAGGLE :lol

Gekkonidae said:

You missed a pretty important one-- grab. That could be mapped to B, but the way I hold the remote I'd be pressing it with the back of my middle-finger knuckle. Real awkward. Not to mention that UP is a poor sub for an independent jump button.

Also, a d-pad is not a good sub for an analog stick. You wouldn't be able to differentiate between runs and walks, or between tilts and smash attacks, angled tilt atacks would be gone, etc. etc.

I don't care if they make a sideways wiimote one option, it better not be the only one!

Varjet

WastingPenguins said:
About the growing fists... you realize that this happened in Melee, right? Go do Mario's up-tilt, for instance. Uppercut, and his fist gets HUGE.
The growing feet and fists were also in SM64.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
If the game is meant to be played with a sideway Wii-mote...then I will hate it. The controller is too thin when held that way.

Classic controller support is a must.

radiuhm

BrendenLee said:
A Wiimote inspired control scheme would have to include a lot of waggle to compensate for missed buttons.

I would speculate this would be the control scheme on the sideways Wiimote

A: Normal Attacks --> 1
B: Special Attacks --> 2
X: Jump --> waggle up/d-pad up
Z: Grab --> waggle sideways
C-Stick: Smashes --> more waggle?
Analog: Movement --> D-Pad

+, -, A buttons are pretty much useless because you need to be using the d-pad at all times.

Couldn't they simply just use the classic controller? Is it really that bad, I would'nt know since I've never used it. I'm getting more and more interested about the control scheme almost as much as I'm wondering what players will be implemented. I wouldn't mind the GC controller, but like someone said earlier why would they use an old controller and push it with one of their leading franchises.

Threi

notag
WastingPenguins said:
Aghhh, c-stick is SO SO SO much more important than just for smashes...

i know but compensation man :lol

classic controller is so much easier anyways. Just bundle it and i will buy 4 copies nintendo.

I think the A button would only be used for a taunt if anything on the wiimote, B for guarding, 1/2 for A/B attacks, Dpad for moving, 1+2 together to grab. Something like that.

I really just want them to have Gamecube/Classic Controller options that arent gimped because of the wiimote

radiuhm said:
Couldn't they simply just use the classic controller? Is it really that bad, I would'nt know since I've never used it. I'm getting more and more interested about the control scheme almost as much as I'm wondering what players will be implemented. I wouldn't mind the GC controller, but like someone said earlier why would they use an old controller and push it with one of their leading franchises.

Ya, but they'll at least include an option to use Wiimote to appeal to the masses. The casual gamer who's first Smash game is Brawl won't notice the gimped Wiimote controls. Requiring another controller is a bad move even if Wiimote controls are a potential disaster.

radiuhm said:
Please explain?

The most important use of the c-stick is in the aerial game.

Think of it this way: to do your forward-air move, you have to jumpand press forward on the control stick + A. Guess what? You're not just doing your front attack, you're also moving forward. Bear with me-- what about your back-aerial? It's the same way: using the control stick + A, you have to be moving backward through the air while doing it.

What the c-stick offers is completely independent control of your aerial attacks and your movement through the air. It's that simple. Using the c-stick, you can jump backward and smack someone with your forward aerial, or bust out your back-aerial while jumping forward. Down-aerials are especially crippled using only the control stick. With c-stick support, you can use the control stick to move left, right, or hit down to fall faster, and at ANY point in your jump, you can smack down on the c-stick to do your down attack. It also helps with many up-air attacks-- you can smack up on the c-stick during the DESCENT of a jump to whip our the up-aerial attack while you're falling! It also comes in handy when you want to jump and use forward or back-air without moving forward or back.

It basically offers a level of control in the air beyond what is possible with the c-stick.

There are also some other lesser (although handy) functions. for instance, you can do smashes WHILE WALKING. Using the control stick + A, only the up smash can be performed out of a walk, and that's tricky if you don't have nimble fingers. It also allows you to upsmash out of a crouch. Another tactic: hold a direction just as you grab and you'll throw them in that direction much faster than you would otherwise. Etc. Etc.

Firestorm

radiuhm said:
Please explain?

Hold on, I made a macro on NSider about C-Stick because I got annoyed at the idiots who were following some dumb NP Editor's opinion how "C-Stick was Cheap"

Edit: Or read what Wasting Penguins said.

The following is reworded from AustinP of SmashBoards' original post. I did not think all this, I merely re-worded it since the original was a bit hard to read IMO:

Basic Uses
Fast, Uncharged Smashes
Pressing the C-Stick in any direction allows you to do a quick, uncharged smash without any wasted time. It also reduces the chance of you making a mistake, like doing a tilt instead of a smash. Remember that you can charge a C-Stick smash by holding the Z button as you hit the C-Stick!

Item Throws
Throw items strongly in the direction of the C-Stick.

Semi-Advanced Uses
Aerials
Aerial attacks can be done with the C-Stick. It's very useful. This means that if you're moving through the air in a direction using the control stick, you can use the C-Stick to do an attack. For example, let's say you're going backwards, but want to do a forward aerial attack. You press back on the control and and forward on the c-stick to do your f-air. SHFFLing u-airs also requires the C-Stick. You hit down on the control stick to fast fall and up on the C-Stick to do the u-air.

Crouch Cancelled Smashes
While crouch cancelling attacks, use the C-Stick to do a smash attack. Since your control stick is being held down to CC, you can use the C-Stick to do the smash attack.

Wavesmash
You use the control stick to wavedash, so you can use the C-Stick to do a smash attack out of the wavedash.

Advanced Uses
Jump Cancelled Smashes
If you jump cancel a shield or dash, you can smash out of it. Since you have to use the control stick to jump to JC (X/Y don't work with this), you use the C-Stick to do the smash attack. Remember to press it at the same time so that you don't leave the ground. I think Fox requires a 4 frame delay, I'm not sure on that. This allows you to smash right out of a dash (instead of a dash attack) or shield.

Dashdanced Smash
While dashdancing, you have one frame in which you are standing still. Since it's only a frame and the control stick is busy Dash Dancing, you use the C-Stick to do a smash attack while you stand still in that frame.

Shield Techniques
While shielding, the C-Stick does these moves:
Up: Jump
Forward: Roll forward
Back: Roll backwards
Down: Side-step

If you're lagging from an attack, holding the shield button and the C-stick in those directions will allow you to do the action as soon as possible without having to time it. It's like a buffer. You will also not accidently shield shift. The only character who can't do this is Yoshi due to the nature of his shield.

Instant Throws
If you hold the C-Stick in a direction while grabbing, you'll instantly throw them in that direction after grabbing. This gives your opponent very little time to DI.

Edge Tricks
If you press down or back on the C-Stick, you can let go of the edge without risk of fastfalling. Remember not to do it too hard or you'll do a d-air/b-air!

Automatic Crouch Cancelling
If you hold down the C-Stick while playing at low %, you'll automatically crouch cancel attacks. So you can CC and DI using the control stick at the same time.

Automatic Smash DI
If you hold the C-Stick a certain direction during the time you are being hit and before you are sent flying, you will DI in that direction. This is less effective than regular DI and smash DI, but still useful nonetheless.

radiuhm said:
Please explain?

Used for c-stick aerials.

Very important because it allows you to move in one direction while doing an aerial A attack in another direction. For example you can use Marth's back aerial A (bair) to change the direction he's in while jumping forward, useful for edgehogging.

camineet

Banned
this is not a troll, so don't take it the wrong way.

SSBM on Gamecube had somewhere above Dreamcast-class graphics, but not quiet upto the level of what Gamecube was capable of.

SSBB on Wii has Gamecube+ class graphics, and it looks exellent.

the leap from SSBM to SSBB might not be like a full generation, but it's a large improvement. nothing to complain about. can't wait.

and OMFG at the list of composers/music people :D

radiuhm

Firestorm said:
Hold on, I made a macro on NSider about C-Stick because I got annoyed at the idiots who were following some dumb NP Editor's opinion how "C-Stick was Cheap"

Edit: Or read what Wasting Penguins said.

The following is reworded from AustinP of SmashBoards' original post. I did not think all this, I merely re-worded it since the original was a bit hard to read IMO:

Basic Uses
Fast, Uncharged Smashes
Pressing the C-Stick in any direction allows you to do a quick, uncharged smash without any wasted time. It also reduces the chance of you making a mistake, like doing a tilt instead of a smash. Remember that you can charge a C-Stick smash by holding the Z button as you hit the C-Stick!

Item Throws
Throw items strongly in the direction of the C-Stick.

Semi-Advanced Uses
Aerials
Aerial attacks can be done with the C-Stick. It's very useful. This means that if you're moving through the air in a direction using the control stick, you can use the C-Stick to do an attack. For example, let's say you're going backwards, but want to do a forward aerial attack. You press back on the control and and forward on the c-stick to do your f-air. SHFFLing u-airs also requires the C-Stick. You hit down on the control stick to fast fall and up on the C-Stick to do the u-air.

Crouch Cancelled Smashes
While crouch cancelling attacks, use the C-Stick to do a smash attack. Since your control stick is being held down to CC, you can use the C-Stick to do the smash attack.

Wavesmash
You use the control stick to wavedash, so you can use the C-Stick to do a smash attack out of the wavedash.

Advanced Uses
Jump Cancelled Smashes
If you jump cancel a shield or dash, you can smash out of it. Since you have to use the control stick to jump to JC (X/Y don't work with this), you use the C-Stick to do the smash attack. Remember to press it at the same time so that you don't leave the ground. I think Fox requires a 4 frame delay, I'm not sure on that. This allows you to smash right out of a dash (instead of a dash attack) or shield.

Dashdanced Smash
While dashdancing, you have one frame in which you are standing still. Since it's only a frame and the control stick is busy Dash Dancing, you use the C-Stick to do a smash attack while you stand still in that frame.

Shield Techniques
While shielding, the C-Stick does these moves:
Up: Jump
Forward: Roll forward
Back: Roll backwards
Down: Side-step

If you're lagging from an attack, holding the shield button and the C-stick in those directions will allow you to do the action as soon as possible without having to time it. It's like a buffer. You will also not accidently shield shift. The only character who can't do this is Yoshi due to the nature of his shield.

Instant Throws
If you hold the C-Stick in a direction while grabbing, you'll instantly throw them in that direction after grabbing. This gives your opponent very little time to DI.

Edge Tricks
If you press down or back on the C-Stick, you can let go of the edge without risk of fastfalling. Remember not to do it too hard or you'll do a d-air/b-air!

Automatic Crouch Cancelling
If you hold down the C-Stick while playing at low %, you'll automatically crouch cancel attacks. So you can CC and DI using the control stick at the same time.

Automatic Smash DI
If you hold the C-Stick a certain direction during the time you are being hit and before you are sent flying, you will DI in that direction. This is less effective than regular DI and smash DI, but still useful nonetheless.

Thanks a lot for explaining it, yea I do a lot of those things but the DI/CC trick that one I have to try, real informative. My friends used to call using the C Stick cheap also, but it's part of the game, so why not utilize it.

momolicious said:
anyone else think the big character portraits will get in the way of the action>?

Yeah, alot of SSB fans are saying that, hopefully, theres an option to switch it off, otherwise, we have to get used to it.

camineet said:

SSBM on Gamecube had Dreamcast-class graphics, maybe even below DC-level.

SSBB on Wii has Gamecube or Gamecube+ class graphics, and it looks exellent.

the leap from SSBM to SSBB might not be like a full generation, but it's a large improvement. nothing to complain about. can't wait.

You're nuts if you actually believe that.

camineet said:

SSBB on Wii has Gamecube or Gamecube+ class graphics, and it looks exellent.

Sorry, what.

AntMurda

SSBM on Gamecube had Dreamcast-class graphics, maybe even below DC-level

Uhmm. First of all that's one of the most ridiculous opinions. SSBM looks way better than any DC game of the sort. "Slightly below DC", uhmm that yeah right.

camineet said:

I'm sorry man, but I have to disagree with you on that one. I can't think of one game that can match SSBM graphics-wise on the DC.

Top Bottom