• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Review Thread | One more week

The casual/non-fighting game enthusiast love their "story" modes in fighting games. Those opinions are surprising.

I'm assuming they had trouble following the action because of the small screen? Not a problem I've had but some people just prefer their games/fighting games on the big screen.

I REALLY have a problem with this in the demo. I can hardly see what's going on with the original 3DS screen if I'm doing 4 players. It's just fine with 2 players, though. It's making me think strongly of getting the new 3DS XL.

I REALLY have a problem with this in the demo. I can hardly see what's going on with the original 3DS screen if I'm doing 4 players. It's just fine with 2 players, though. It's making me think strongly of getting the new 3DS XL.

To be fair I often get the same problem with Brawl through SCART on a HDTV. Blech. SSB4 Wii U will be an absolute godsend on a huge plasma.

Lunar15

This will make me sound like an asshole, but if someone wants to use the d-pad to play Smash Bros, then they might not have the firmest grasp on the game's mechanics. The game is built around controlling how you move the stick. It's so central to the experience that it's in the title. Yeah, Brawl let you use the d-pad on the Wii Remote, but that's clearly sub-optimal and only proves the importance of using a stick to play the game.

The issue I have, and not everyone has this issue, is that the stick never quite feels great for moving around, and you do feel yourself wanting the d-pad. However, at the same time, the D-pad would be pretty bad for tilts, so it's it's just a situation of being unhappy with both options.

It's not a game breaker, and if the 3DS was your only option, you could get used to it. But since the Wii U is an eventual option, I just say wait it out for the Wii U version.

Ricky 7

I knew the 3DS version wouldn't score as well as Brawl and Melee. There isn't as much single player content in it and these reviewers don't care about the multiplayer. Also that Eurogamer review is trash, not because of the score but the mediocre fighter part. Guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Anth0ny

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version winds up getting much better reviews simply due to the nature of this game's release (i.e.; 3DS ver.: basic edition, Wii U ver.: ultimate edition).

Nice to see the game is scoring well. The 3DS demo was great. That being said, after playing it, I know I won't be picking it up and I'll just wait for the Wii U version.

If you remove everything that makes Smash Bros popular and fun of course it's going to be bland and boring lol.

What kind of paid writer makes such a hollow statement. That criticism could apply to every game that's ever existed. Even every movie that's ever existed. That's how worthless of criticism it is.

K.Sabot

Gimme an option to use the dpad for movement and make one of the shoulder buttons a button that plants me to the ground and lets me do some tilt attacks with the dpad.

That circle pad is near unusable.

Kandinsky

People needs to understand that Smash is not for everybody, it just doesnt click for some folks and I get that for them it's just a mediocre game.

I feel like practicing on the ill-fitting 3DS circle pad might make me really really good at the Wii-U version, like using training weights or something.

Comet

Loved the IGN review. The reviewer's excitement and the final score seemed to be disconnected though.

It's interesting because you can feel the enthusiasm from a lot of these reviewers saying things like "I haven't been able to put it down!" "I've already put 50 hours into this!" etc., to me that feeling alone is worth a high score. I haven't played Destiny yet, but I noticed a similar disconnect with reviewers on that game - they have a TON of fun but yet they still felt compelled to lower their score in the end.

Cody_D165

Banned
The 3DS version is the hyperbolic time chamber to the Wii U version's Cell arriving you mean?

goku-nodding-o.gif

Timeaisis

The 3DS version is the hyperbolic time chamber to the Wii U version's Cell arriving you mean?

And just like the hyperbolic time chamber, while inside it feels like time is passing quickly but when you go back out your realize little time has passed.

This is me trying to shoehorn the wait feeling that much longer for the Wii U version into your analogy.

The Lamp

Wait, you can't adjust item frequency? And local multi-player doesn't always work?

This version should have never existed. smh

Wynnebeck

Banned
On 3DS, maybe.
Jesus, calling Smash a mediocre fighting game, is like calling Mario Galaxy 2 a mediocre platformer game.

I disagree. Strip it down and it's nowhere as good of a "fighting game" as people like to prop it up (I use quotations since I don't see it as a fighting game at all IMO). It's celebrated as it is because it's chock full of nostalgia for Nintendo fans of all ages. With that said, I'm super hyped for the game and picking it up at midnight.

Hale-XF11

But when you're afflicted by latency problems in local multiplayer, you'll suddenly become painfully aware of the 3DS version's critical shortcomings.

This greatly concerns me. If local is that bad, then how bad is online?

Not

Banned
Hell, I would've paid full price for the clubnintendo demo. I've already played it more than I've played some 39.99 titles.

EDIT:
Loved the IGN review. The reviewer's excitement and the final score seemed to be disconnected though.

I hate game review scores. If this got an 8.8 in, i dunno, Pitchfork or somewhere else where the review scale is taken seriously, we'd all be over the moon.

Analogue stick prevents precision inputs but would have liked D-Pad?

Okay.

Good luck with those Smash and Tilt attacks buddy!

Oh stop it.

Neutral + A = Attack
Direction + A = Tilt Attack
Double Tap + A = Smash Attack (OR Use the new 3ds nipple, OR allow one of the free face buttons to be designated as a smash button)
Double Tap + A (Hold) = Charge (OR Keep holding the nipple in the direction, OR keep holding the free face button designated as a smash attack button)

Options would be nice.

You guys act like you can't play Brawl with a Dpad on the wiimote. You can, and it worked, so a simple option would be kind for this one, particularly with that lousy puck slider.

Draconian

I disagree. Strip it down and it's nowhere as good of a "fighting game" as people like to prop it up (I use quotations since I don't see it as a fighting game at all IMO). It's celebrated as it is because it's chock full of nostalgia for Nintendo fans of all ages. With that said, I'm super hyped for the game and picking it up at midnight.

Nostalgia only gets you so far. It's celebrated because it's a series that people have a ton of fun playing.

Pikma

Banned
I've played lots of local matches in the demo and haven't had any issues so far, so that's kind of weird to hear.

jrDev

Wait, you can't adjust item frequency? And local multi-player doesn't always work?

This version should have never existed. smh
Until you realize that it's an amazing business move since it's not an either or proposition. It's selling really fast.

We are still getting the WiiU version, Nintendo was smart.

Fireblend

Banned

I disagree, or rather, I don't care if what's left after you remove the paint is a good fighting game. Whatever it is, It's an undoubtedly good game, incredibly fun to play solo or with friends, and with very solid mechanics, and that's a huge part of why I love it, fanservice aside.

Dimmle

It's not a game breaker, and if the 3DS was your only option, you could get used to it. But since the Wii U is an eventual option, I just say wait it out for the Wii U version.

Yeah, mileage will vary with the 3DS version. In my situation, I'm often aloof and killing time; having a decent version of Smash on my 3DS at all times is pretty appealing, even if I recognize that the real game launches in November. Plus, I still have a couple friends who are fairly invested in the series, so it'll be fun to dick around before launch and feel out the roster.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
All I saw for the majority was 9/10 scores. I legit cannot wait for the Wii-U version the streams cracked me then the early access demo broke me hard.

The Lamp

Until you realize that it's an amazing business move since it's not an either or proposition. It's selling really fast.

We are still getting the WiiU version, Nintendo was smart.

Its going to sell because it's Smash. I'm talking from a fan perspective, it should never have happened. I personally believe this because it harmed the Wii U version. I would have been happier with a console game with all the stages and Ice Climbers and no portable hardware limitations.

Smash Run isn't even playable online ugh.

Still buying it on Friday but I have almost no one to play Smash Run with. And I'll be furious if the local multi-player is ass.

Glass Rebel

EBpM78Q.png

"it's not a fighting game" and "it's overrated" in disguise

in 2014

Glass Rebel

By Sakurai's own definition it isn't a fighting game.

You must be misremembering his "definition":

There are so many other games out there which are geared to tournaments. It is important for us, however, to maintain the game’s status as a kind of ‘rough’ party game in which anyone can play without feeling too much pressure over winning or losing. We therefore want to keep a nice balance in which a wide variety of events can occur in the game, some of them quite outrageous. With this, Smash Bros. isn’t just a fighting game, it is an opponent-based action game.

Getting riled up by someone else's arbitrary genre definitions is pretty silly.

I'm fuming!

SmithnCo

Hm, I gotta disagree with Eurogamer about the circle pad preventing precise movements, it's been fine for me. I wouldn't want to use the D-pad as that would offer significantly less control.

Pikma

Banned
I couldn't give less of a shit about reviews, let alone review scores, but I've been re-watching the ShiGaming's tournament, and damn, could not disagree more with that Eurogame quote, I mean, I don't quite get what kind of environment you have play in to end up getting to that conclusion, even playing exclusively against CPUs is a pretty good experience

Glad its getting solid reviews. The small screen and circle pad gave me a lot more problems than I thought they would so I'll skip this and get the Wii U version instead.

Top Bottom