• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Review Thread | One more week

Teriaaaaa!

Neo Member
It's not like it takes a long time to get all the characters. I think all the characters can be unlocked after 120 fights. If you are trying out all the characters and stages you should unlock them naturally.

ant1532

Banned
sounds like these critics are gunna be dissapointed when they find out the only content difference in the Wii U version is the stages and graphics...

gerudoman

That local multiplayer problem you have made me worried. Hopefully it's some weird interference, otherwise Smash tournament won't happen.

Funnily enough, I had the laggiest matches in an almost empty coffee shop, but that was probably because of the intense storm outside.

JoeM86

The trolls have already jumped in on the Eurogamer one, saying this is a cut down version, that it should be free/£10 etc.

I lol'd

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can somewhat agree with GamesRadar that the game locally can be literally unplayable.

However...

My office as an enormous amount of wireless interference going around. If I play outside of the office, on the metro back home or wherever, local mutliplayer is flawless.

And Eurogamer's "take out what makes the game good and it becomes a bad game" logic is amazing.

Spinluck

Well, to be honest, the 3DS isn't the most ergonomic piece of tech. Playing certain games on it is uncomfortable as fuck. The circle pad is also not that precise, but it doesn't get in the way all that much. Disabling "Up to Jump" should solve most problems, but it will never touch thumb stick and controller setup. Almost flipped my shit when I saw that Nintendo initially had that in mind for the Wii U pad, thank god they avoided that disaster and threw on two analog sticks.

But the mediocre fighting game thing sounds a bit ridiculous. Come on now, at least back that with some decent points.

He also said the Circle Pad was imprecise, which is another complaint you'd expect if people were treating as if it was Street Fighter or other similar fighters.
Eh, that's one of the most common complaints from reviewers and people just playing the demo alike.

sounds like these critics are gunna be dissapointed when they find out the only content difference in the Wii U version is the stages and graphics...
And it's playable on a TV with normal controllers.

Spinluck

Haha, no, not really. The Wii U version has far less compromises than the 3DS version, that's actually a huge reason why it even exist. It has far less limitations, but yeah, the core gameplay won't be all that different.

Lets not downplay the graphical prowess of the Wii U version, presentation has always been a strength of Smash. Almost everyone here agrees that the 3DS version looks impressive, and has commented on how well it runs. It's clear people care about how the game looks, feels, and plays.

Son Of D

I don't know, a lot of this reads like "It's a 9 because it's on 3DS, on Wii U it'll be a 10".
Which is an ok standpoint I guess but still weird. It seems to be the same game with HD graphics and some different stages on Wii U and I get the couch multiplayer thing but still.
There is still quite a lot we don't know about the Wii U version. We don't know anything about modes, specific content or even possible exclusive features.

PKGaming

Banned
One review I watched made an interesting point about this game. It's pretty much a stepping stone to keep us busy until the superior version comes out on Wii U. But when it's time to finally get the Wii U version, it's not gonna feel like we're purchasing the next generation of Smash Bros that we'll be playing for years to come, it'll just feel like we're purchasing the improved and definitive version of a game we've been playing for over a month. It won't feel as magical as the day we picked up Brawl after eagerly waiting so long with our hype at maximum levels. We'll have already been fairly content by the time the Wii U version comes out. The people excited for it are the ones excited to play the definitive version, not excited to play the "next brand new Smash Bros".

Loxley

I played the demo yesterday and had a great time (haven't played Smash Bros. since Melee), so I'll definitely be picking this up.

EhoaVash

hmm im still looking for a reason to get the 3ds smash

since i dont game on the go, the demo already kinda turned me off lol cause very odd controls..im still not used to the slide pad.

...only reason i would get this version if you needed both version to unlock characters or something

Kinsei

Banned
I feel like most of the scores are a bit to high. No Smash Run online really hurts the game IMO.

I have spent many hours with the game and have not noticed any imprecision.

Are you able to consistently us your up tilt without jumping? I find it damn near impossible to do in the demo.

I'm playing the demo non stop and haven't really had a problem with the screen even during 4 player battles on my regular 3DS. The P1 and CPU indicators kinda help though

emb

Are you able to consistently us your up tilt without jumping? I find it damn near impossible to do in the demo.
I can, though I'm still not 100% on doing uairs without jumping. In both cases it's just a matter of practice, I think.

Caramello

One review I watched made an interesting point about this game. It's pretty much a stepping stone to keep us busy until the superior version comes out on Wii U. But when it's time to finally get the Wii U version, it's not gonna feel like we're purchasing the next generation of Smash Bros that we'll be playing for years to come, it'll just feel like we're purchasing the improved and definitive version of a game we've been playing for over a month. It won't feel as magical as the day we picked up Brawl after eagerly waiting so long with our hype at maximum levels. We'll have already been fairly content by the time the Wii U version comes out. The people excited for it are the ones excited to play the definitive version, not excited to play the "next brand new Smash Bros".

It will for me because I'm skipping the 3DS version.

emb

That's absolutely right. And at the same time, the 3DS version isn't as exciting as it could be, because we already know beforehand that the better (for some people) version is on the way. Having two versions really detracts from the excitement of both, for me.

Still hyped and can't wait to play both of them though.

Exile20

That's absolutely right. And at the same time, the 3DS version isn't as exciting as it could be, because we already know beforehand that the better (for some people) version is on the way. Having two versions really detracts from the excitement of both, for me.

Still hyped and can't wait to play both of them though.

Hoping the Wii U features are substantial enough for hype to start back up.

Timeaisis

This game could get a 3 metacritic and is still buy it twice.

These reviews are about excluded, though. Slightly lower than Brawl because of the handheld experience and all that. Or whatever.

These reviews are about where I would expect a mobile version of this genre / series.

I have been struggling internally with how I will approach the 3DS incarnation. I hate the controls in the demo...I think they're terrible. I will still get the game but the Wii U verison is where a lot of my time will likely go.

Noirulus

Not all reviewers make sense and some have already docked points for the most stupid reasons in the past :p

Except this is a somewhat legitimate point. When you have 3 - 4 players on screen, it tends to zooms out way too far and it's hard to follow the action. Experienced it myself on my XL.

The Boat

Could you both please give a translation of the verdict, conclusion, final word, etc?

"Super Smash Bros For 3DS isn't treated as second class citizen, it's all you would expect from a Smash Bros: a brilliant game, incredibly polished, loaded with content to last hundreds and hundreds of hours and it's filled with love and respect for the games where it draws from.
It's Smash Bros, it's incredible and it's portable, what more could you want?"

Guesong

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-26-super-smash-bros-3ds-review

"The handheld's d-pad cannot be used to move your character (instead it triggers taunts) and the analogue stick prevents precision inputs. Here, stripped of its fan service and joyful chaos the grim truth is revealed: Super Smash Bros. is a mediocre fighting game."

Jeez. Harshest review I've read yet.

Analogue stick prevents precision inputs but would have liked D-Pad?

Okay.

Good luck with those Smash and Tilt attacks buddy!

Lunar15

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-26-super-smash-bros-3ds-review

"The handheld's d-pad cannot be used to move your character (instead it triggers taunts) and the analogue stick prevents precision inputs. Here, stripped of its fan service and joyful chaos the grim truth is revealed: Super Smash Bros. is a mediocre fighting game."

Jeez. Harshest review I've read yet.

This is about where my feelings on the 3DS version fall. The controls aren't too great. Your mileage my vary. Not sure I get the part about "output for player input feels weak", though.

Eurogamer said:
Here, stripped of its fan service and joyful chaos the grim truth is revealed: Super Smash Bros. is a mediocre fighting game.

On 3DS, maybe.
Jesus, calling Smash a mediocre fighting game, is like calling Mario Galaxy 2 a mediocre platformer game.

Analogue stick prevents precision inputs but would have liked D-Pad?

Okay.

Good luck with those Smash and Tilt attacks buddy!

This will make me sound like an asshole, but if someone wants to use the d-pad to play Smash Bros, then they might not have the firmest grasp on the game's mechanics. The game is built around controlling how you move the stick. It's so central to the experience that it's in the title. Yeah, Brawl let you use the d-pad on the Wii Remote, but that's clearly sub-optimal and only proves the importance of using a stick to play the game.

Top Bottom