• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

why can't you missile cancel with samus

like i appreciate that she's faster, but it's kinda rdiculous that they made the missiles worse
First thing I tried in the game, and I was heartbroken. I wouldn't mind so much if the landing lag was toned down to about half of what it is right now. Sakurai seems to be adding landing lag or making the animation finish for pretty much all auto-cancelling B moves, though. He's probably concerned about being able to pressure too easily with little repercussions (Falco lasers are ridiculous).

Moonlight

Banned
Weren't Samus's missiles already bad in Brawl? I don't get it.

Reading smashboards is so fun,
here's my favorite comment so far:
I think my 'favourite' one thus far is this:

Funny how people are bashing PeachyHime's Facebook message that was posted earlier.
At least she's being freaking honest about what she thinks and the majority of the competitive players that were watching the stream that were not brainwashed by the 'hype' of MegaMan's final smash probably felt the same way.
To me, Brawl was terrible, and this game seems to follow the trend.
I'm not going to mention names, but a lot of the people that were invited seem to be sellouts to Nintendo and just make it seem like this is the best game ever, which it is obviously not and it disgusts me.
It's not like they are going to take any advice and shift the game into the right direction. "Have you ever made a game?"
It's not like they are ever going to create another game like Melee, Sakurai even said this in 2010.
It's not like they care about the competitive community at all.

Competitive smash just got a huge traffic spike over the past couple of years, and Nintendo is just taking advantage of popular players.
Wake up and realize you were puppets used by Nintendo to promote Brawl 2.0.
It literally reads like a 'wake up sheeple' conspiracy rant.

Axass

Reading smashboards is so fun,
here's my favorite comment so far:

That's astounding.

Meanwhile I lol at all the people thinking Nintendo's going to shut down Project M, like they give a damn about a mod made for the Wii game, now that 4 is coming out and the WiiU is almost 3 years old.

If they wanted to C&D it, they would have done so eons ago.

That's astounding.

Meanwhile I lol at all the people thinking Nintendo's going to shut down Project M, like they give a damn about a mod made for the Wii game, now that 4 is coming out and the WiiU is almost 3 years old.

If they wanted to C&D it, they would have done so eons ago.
Not to mention a contestant or two in the Invitational were only notable in Project M tourney's. I think Nintendo's well-aware it exists, they just don't want to actively encourage the ability to hack their systems wide open, but at the same time don't want to punish the small group of fans who just wanted to play a really good fan-mod of something they already bought.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that's far from the truth. While the Invitiational format could be improved, I do get the idea Nintendo's becoming more aware of these things than some people are willing to give them credit for. I say this as someone who thought their handling of the Melee/Evo fiasco last year was absolutely clueless.

They got even worse in Smash 4 demo. You can't missile cancel to get rid of the ending lag and they didn't receive any sort of buff as far as I could tell, so they're both weak and slow.
How're her overall speed and regular A moves? That's where I really felt she got nerfed in Brawl, so I was hoping the Other M design would at least lend itself to a faster/stronger Samus.

mrhej

zlCfzSCqffUydwTlYB

Pic of the day. This is quite a line-up of characters for the gaming world. I mean, it's amazing enough that Mario can fight Pikachu. I hope you enjoy this truly unique celebration!!

It looks like Pac Man is pointing at Mega Man. "Look at this idiot, he has no games!"

They got even worse in Smash 4 demo. You can't missile cancel to get rid of the ending lag and they didn't receive any sort of buff as far as I could tell, so they're both weak and slow.
Hopefully, Missiles will have some good variations for custom movesets. Fusion Ice Missiles would be bonkers. Even a version where the normal missiles can actually track worth a damn would be useful for edgeguarding setups.

Hopefully, Missiles will have some good variations for custom movesets. Fusion Ice Missiles would be bonkers. Even a version where the normal missiles can actually track worth a damn would be useful for edgeguarding setups.
I'm honestly surprised given how prominent they are in Metroid-lore an ice beam/missile was never something worked into Samus' moveset.

JoeInky

How're her overall speed and regular A moves? That's where I really felt she got nerfed in Brawl, so I was hoping the Other M design would at least lend itself to a faster/stronger Samus.

According to sakurai, she's the most powerful character in the game, but according to people like Hugs, she's one of the worst.

I think this is one of the things that confuses me the most from the invitational, how did they come to the inclusion that she was the best character?

A PM style fire/ice toggle would be amazing. Alas.

It would have been great if they gave her some sort of beam toggle.

Hoping for Ice Beam or Spazer customisations to change the way her neutral works.

Mario just looks like he's interjecting with "Yeah, and I'm sure Ghostly Adventures is really something to be proud of you fat piece of shit."

Pacman: "Hey! At least Pac-Man Tilt is one of the best side scrolling Sonic games in years!"
Sonic: "Whoaah! Hang on there! That's uncool!"

Pac-Man Tilt in Pac-Man and Galaga really was a decent Sonic clone, at least the levels I've played.

NotLiquid

Just skimmed through Smashboards. Place almost gave me a headache. I can understand being vocal about the game, but jesus the overall quality of discussion is abysmal. Conspiracy theories about Sakurai and Nintendo abound.

Smashboards is a good place for learning more about exact character analysis and losing faith in prospects of a unified Smash community.

JoeInky

Smashboards is a good place for learning more about exact character analysis and losing faith in prospects of a unified Smash community.

Imagine if Smash 4 was good enough to unify the competitive smash community though, we'd enter a golden age of smash with tournaments fucking everywhere, it would be the most glorious thing.

JediLink

Brawl 2.0 is the least insulting insult ever conceived in the history of man.
Well, I don't know if I'd even consider at an "insult" in the first place. It's a quick way of saying that the game feels way more similar to Brawl than anything else. Obviously that will be a bad thing for some people, but others aren't going to particularly care.

It's all over the place at the moment. I feel like she lacks decent killing moves still, especially on the ground. Stuff like Up Air and Z Air are still really strong; Z-Air is still no landing lag and it seems to hit multiple times now. Up B out of shield is more viable because the last hit has more significant knockback now, so you're less likely to be punished for hitting your move. Her short hop is lower, and she seems to move faster. Up tilt is still good, down tilt will kill about when it did in Brawl--maybe a little earlier. I like her Neutral Air, but I feel like she benefited more from having a lingering hitbox from a sexkick more. Forward Air's last hit seems good now, and with less or no Smash DI it should be a much better move. Back Air is probably still her goto kill move. Down Air is really interesting; it seems faster and has gained a horizontal knockback hitbox in addition to the meteor smash--it'll be interesting if the supposed Meteor Smash changes help her out any. Down Smash is awful right now. Forward Smash might have a sweetspot; if it doesn't then it isn't very good. Up Smash apparently kills now. Bombs still don't explode on contact, so they're useless again. Charge Shot seems to charge faster but do less knockback.

Toxi

Banned
It's all over the place at the moment. I feel like she lacks decent killing moves still, especially on the ground. Stuff like Up Air and Z Air are still really strong; Z-Air is still no landing lag and it seems to hit multiple times now. Up B out of shield is more viable because the last hit has more significant knockback now, so you're less likely to be punished for hitting your move. Her short hop is lower, and she seems to move faster. Up tilt is still good, down tilt will kill about when it did in Brawl--maybe a little earlier. I like her Neutral Air, but I feel like she benefited more from having a lingering hitbox from a sexkick more. Forward Air's last hit seems good now, and with less or no Smash DI it should be a much better move. Back Air is probably still her goto kill move. Down Air is really interesting; it seems faster and has gained a horizontal knockback hitbox in addition to the meteor smash--it'll be interesting if the supposed Meteor Smash changes help her out any. Down Smash is awful right now. Forward Smash might have a sweetspot; if it doesn't then it isn't very good. Up Smash apparently kills now. Bombs still don't explode on contact, so they're useless again. Charge Shot seems to charge faster but do less knockback.
The flame is apparently a sweet spot.

EDIT: I have shitty eyesight. Neglect what I thought I saw with the Dair in the treehouse.

Thanks for the info, a lot of this stuff I would never have known just from playing. I want to see if the forward smash does have good knockback on the flame.

Mistle

After reading around a bit, I really don't blame Sakurai for not listening to the tourney scene. At least these hardcore type, who seem super unappreciative and just plain rude.

I'm glad I can just enjoy Smash.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm laughing at the fact that they're being all up and arms at a demo build of a game that is not even final, and with people willing to listen to changes needed to be made.

NOTE: I just noticed my Rosalina and Samus impressions were deleted sometime during the creation of this post for some reason. I'll add them back in tomorrow, too tired now. Goodnight!

Hey guys! Sorry this took so long - those of you who follow GameXplain know we've been crazy busy nonstop every day of E3, and by the time I got home each night, all I could do was fall into bed.

Anyway, here's my promised Smash 4 impressions, observations, notes, etc. So settle in! I addressed as many of your questions as I could, though I do apologize in advance because I'm sure those of you who did ask questions got your answers some time ago. Still, better late than never!

NOTE: I loved Melee until all the exploits and the pros who abused them drained all the fun out of the game (in my opinion). I love Brawl to this day and still play it regularly. I'm not big on Project M. I've won and placed highly in a few various Brawl tournaments and consider myself pretty decent at the game and very well-informed when it comes to Smash, but I'm not a hardcore pro or anything. My preferred style of play is with all items (minus recoveries) and nearly all stages on. I like catching/avoiding items, anticipating and playing around stage hazards, Final Smashes, Pokémon, Assist Trophies, etc. Just so you know where I'm coming from. Melee-only players/Brawl haters, bail out now (since my impressions probably won't apply to you)!

Here we go!

ANSWERS TO NEOGAF MEMBERS' QUESTIONS

Neiteio - Does Greninja have a black (shiny) alt color? Yes.
Oreomunsta - What are your impressions of Rosalina? Hardest newcomer to pick up and play/learn so far, but fun to play and strong. See more impressions below.
PadWarrior - Has Mario been buffed? Doesn't seem so to me, but he hasnt been nerfed either. He just feels generally similar to how he did in Brawl. However, Mario Finale seems to have gotten a buff (it's more effective now) and the F.L.U.D.D seems to push opponents back more now (whatever that's worth).
Kyzon - Can Zelda do her Phantom Slash in the air? Yes, though in most cases you won't have time to charge it to maximum before landing.
SuperSah - Impressions and footage of the 3DS version, please. See impressions below, and GameXplain has TONS of footage on our YouTube channel!
Fandangox - When are we getting Captain Falcon? No idea. Clearly it didn't happen at E3. :p
Karsticles - Do Samus' bombs explode on a timer or on contact? Didn't get to test this out unfortunately, but from my observations it seems like both (on contact if it happens, on a timer if not).
DisonnecteD - At what percent do Samus' up smash and Super Missiles kill? Sorry, wasn't able to get this info with all the people I had to play against and the fact that I kind of suck with Samus. :(

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

I love it. Feels like a somewhat faster, more technical version of Brawl. Much closer to Brawl than Melee in feel though, and while I LOVE that, Melee fans will probably hate it. KOs seem to happen at lower percentages in general. Final Smashes have been mostly nerfed/made less KO-heavy across the board, though not in every case. Not sure what items were set to on the demos, but my guess is Medium, and if so, it feels like a lot more items than Medium used to be. Shields seem to be a lot easier to break and drain faster in general. Air dodging feels just like Brawl, love it.

3DS IMPRESSIONS

Quite good, Smash works on the 3DS - mostly. The visuals look pretty great and the framerate is a silky smooth 60fps... most of the time. The framerate does drop noticeably when too much chaos is happening on-screen, but it's fairly rare. The stages look great, and the stereoscopic 3D is really nice-looking for those who enjoy it (like me). Some foreground elements look really weird and jarring in 3D, such as the ground closest to the screen in Arena Ferox and the Nintendog AT. The interface and character select screen are a little too basic/PlayStation All-Stars-esque for my liking, but I suspect it's a work in progress. There are issues with the controls, however, or at least getting used to them. It's not a problem with the game, but rather the 3DS itself - it just wasn't built for Smash. Doing Smashes with the Circle Pad is weird and difficult, and throwing items with L feels awkward and uncomfortable. However, by the end of E3 I had gotten quite used to the controls and noticeably better at the 3DS version in general. Smash Run is really fun, I can see myself playing it very often; some major enemies are frustratingly difficult to fight in the Smash format, though (much like Subspace Emissary), and it sometimes feels fairly one-sided depending on the character you're using and/or the enemies you're fighting. I've seen some complain that they were losing track of their characters in the 3DS version when the camera pans out too much, but I never had this problem.

WII U IMPRESSIONS

Fantastic. Wonderful. Obviously the core/definitive version. I need this game in my veins right this moment. Smash looks just beautiful in HD; the stages and their colors especially pop. Framerate is super smooth and doesn't suffer from the occasional slowdown the 3DS version does, at least in my experience. Character select screen and especially the results screen/character victory poses look awesome, loving the interface and general presentation so far. Pokémon and ATs models look noticeably less complex/nice than the playable characters, almost a generational difference in some cases (mostly Pokémon, but also ATs like Lyn and Samurai Goroh). Loading time between the end of a match and the results screen is pretty nasty (5-7 seconds), hopefully that's improved. Playing with the GameCube controller feels like coming home; instantly familiar and no learning curve whatsoever.

CHARACTERS

Bowser - Buffed. He's somewhat faster than before but still strong all the same. Down Smash has been changed entirely, seems better. Fire Breath is a lot better, has more range and power now. Down special comes out a little faster than before.
Final Smash: Giga Bowser. Definitely one of the better FSs - easy to do a lot of damage quickly and across a wide area, easy to KO with too and lasts a decent while.
Alt colors - Black with orange hair, brown with blond hair, dark green with red hair

Donkey Kong - Heavily buffed across the board. I'm TERRIBLE with DK in past Smash games and I was KOing people left and right with him in 4. All of his smashes do lots of damage and have crazy killing power. Recovery seems improved, covers more lateral space. Headbutt also seems more powerful.
Final Smash: Konga Beat. Still totally garbage except when used in the center of a small stage.
Alt colors: Black with yellow tie, brown/red with blue tie, blue with pink tie

Fox - Nerfed. Up smash and up air have lost much of their killing power, especially up air. Blaster still racks up damage quickly; Fox Illusion, Fire Fox, and Reflector seem unchanged.
Final Smash: Landmaster. They nerfed Fox's regular moves, but not this - still one of, if not the most overpowered FS in the game now. Lasts a long time, shots kill quickly, still easy to kill off the top of the screen, etc.
Alt colors: Blue, red, green

Greninja - Fairly fun to use, but actually seem to be somewhat average right now. Aqua Shuriken is great - tons of damage, hits, and knockback. Shadow Sneak is useful, but hard to use properly. Counter is great, surprising damage.
Final Smash: Don't know its name, but it's surprisingly hard to get the initiating hit - has a small area of effect. Super cool when you get it, though.
Alt colors: Red, pink, black (shiny)

Kirby - Buffed. He's my main in Brawl, so I'm thrilled. Final Cutter's range considerably reduced. Hammer is great, and Hammer Flip - if you can pull it off - is super strong. Stone seems to come out faster. Back air has great killing power.
Final Smash: Ultra Sword. Better than Cook Kirby, harder to get the initiating hit though.
Alt colors: Yellow, blue, red

Link - Buffed across the board. The strongest he's been since Smash 64. His recovery is much, much better, and he's not as slow and clunky as he used to be.
Final Smash: Triforce Slash. Unchanged.
Alt colors: Red, blue, purple (Four Swords)

Little Mac - Incredibly strong and terrifying on the ground. Very fast, racks up damage stupidly quickly even with his basic A combo. However - and this can't be overstated enough - he's next to worthless in the air. All of his air attacks feel like whiffs and have incredibly small range and utility. Recovery is pretty terrible too. Little Mac's overall viability is basically incredibly reliant on the stage you play him on. Great on flat, mostly featureless stages like Golden Plains, Town & City and Tortimer Island. Interestingly, his fully-charged K.O. Punch does NOT kill at 0% (at least not Rosalina), so it's not a guaranteed kill.
Final Smash: Giga Mac. Not actually that great in my experience. Kill potential seems surprisingly low, and he can still be damaged (!) when in this form.
Alt colors: Yellow, white, blue

Luigi - Not really sure, barely used him. Maybe a little stronger? Dash attack seems better. Never been a big Luigi player.
Final Smash: Poltergust. Much better than Negative Zone in every way, not too hard to pull off either.
Alt colors: Orange, pink, blue

Mario - Feels generally similar to Brawl. No noticeable buffs or nerfs. FLUDD seems slightly better at pushing opponents back/seems to have a bigger area of effect.
Final Smash: Mario Finale. Seems to have gotten a slight buff (wider area of effect).
Alt colors: Fire Mario, Wario, and blue/pink

Marth - Didn't use him much, but seems somewhat nerfed in general. I'm not a Marth user though, so I won't comment further.
Final Smash: Critical Hit. Seems unchanged.
Alt colors: Black with red cape, dark green with green cape, black with black cape

Mega Man - Somewhat difficult to pick up and play until you work out how he's different from other Smash characters and learn that, but quite good once you do. Mega Buster normal racks up damage quickly but has limited range, though it can be fired while moving. Charge Shot (forward smash) does 20%, lots of knockback and can kill at middle percentages - and it's a projectile (albeit one with limited range). Flame Blast (down smash) has lots of launching power and is also a great kill move. Spark Shock (up smash) does multiple hits and good damage but has the least kill power of all his smashes, very similar in nature to Zelda's up smash. Flame Sword (forward air) is great for racking up damage, easy to hit with; Slash Claw (back air) is one of his least useful moves due to its small hitbox. Air Shooter (up air) is interesting - only decent damage, but it lifts opponents upward and I was able to KO a lot of people off the top of the screen with it when they were already at the top of the screen. Very satisfying to KO people that way. Hard Knuckle (down air) is theoretically useful - a projectile spike, for fuck's sake - but hard to use/time properly. Specials are less useful; Metal Blade can be thrown in eight directions but is too slow and punishable to be that useful, and Leaf Shield is only useful in specific situations (normally not useful, but is powered up by projectile attacks and can return the damage absorbed, kind of like G&W's Oil Spill). Crash Bomb can be useful, but it's too easy for opponents to stick it back onto him. Rush Coil, however, is a great recovery - tons of height. In general, once I learned him I started cleaning up with him - won pretty much every match in which I used him, though ultimately I don't know if he'll be a super-strong character.
Final Smash - Everyone knows this one by now. Initiating shot is pretty easy to land (seems like a large Black Hole Bomb), and the FS itself has good killing power (though KOs won't happen at low percentages).
Alt colors - Rush Coil/Jet, Leaf Shield, Ring Boomerang

Olimar & Pikmin - Didn't use them at all, so no comment. Sorry! I did hear people complaining about his new three-Pikmin limit, though.
Final Smash: End of Day. Seems unchanged.
Alt colors - Red, green, gray

Pikachu - Didn't use it at all, so no comment. Sorry!
Final Smash: Volt Tackle. Seems pretty much the same as before, maybe easier to avoid. I was able to completely avoid it twice.
Alt colors: White/red trainer hat, green bandana, blue goggles

Pit - Didn't use him at all, so no comment. Sorry!
Final Smash: Three Sacred Treasures. Obviously and dramatically better than Palutena's Army. Difficult to avoid, lasts awhile, and has lots of killing power.
Alt colors - Yellow, red, orange

Sheik - Didn't use her at all, so no comment. Sorry!
Final Smash: Light Arrow. Unchanged.
Alt colors: Red, white and purple, pink and purple

Sonic - Generally buffed. Moveset is almost exactly the same, but everything's been powered up to have more KO potential. Still doesn't seem overly powerful, but definitely better. Down air is much better.
Final Smash: Super Sonic. Thankfully nerfed. It still lasts too long, but it's far less powerful per hit and doesn't kill as quickly anymore. I saw several people use it and fail to get a single kill.
Alt colors: Blue with magenta gloves, lighter blue with sky blue gloves, Sonic 1 blue (pale blue) with white gloves

Toon Link - Seems mostly the same as before, don't have many comments either way. Downward Stab comes out a lot faster and seems stronger. Link might finally be better than him with his new buffs, though. (Boo!)
Final Smash: Triforce Slash. Same as Link's. (Boo again!)
Alt colors: Red, blue, purple (Four Swords)

Villager - Second hardest newcomer to pick up and play after Rosalina. Just weird all around. Tree cutting special is strong but tough to set up properly. Great recovery. Slingshot is a decent projectile attack, but a lot of his/her normals lack range.
Final Smash: Dream Home. Not that great, small area of effect and easy to avoid on all but the smallest stages. Even those hit with it don't seem to get KO'd very often.
Alts: Boy with red shirt, girl with red flower shirt and pink hair, boy with yellow/black striped shirt, girl with green shirt

Wii Fit Trainer - Only used her a bit, but seems pretty strong. Deep Breathing-powered Sun Salutation is incredibly dangerous. However, Deep Breathing itself is difficult to pull off; you need a lot of time and space in order to not get interrupted... seems like that will limit its utility quite a bit. Volleyball projectile is quite good, surprisingly powerful and dynamic. Good, but not great recovery. Hilariously over-the-top voice clips, especially for the male WFT.
Final Smash: Wii Fit. Basically a better Mario Finale, better killing potential.
Alt colors: Female with blue shirt, male with gray/blue shirt, female with green shirt, male with green/dark gray shirt

Yoshi - Seems slightly buffed and a little faster. Butt Stomp is better than before, Egg Throw much faster. Egg Roll seems the same. Still doesn't have a recovery, obviously.
Final Smash: Super Dragon. Considerably nerfed - fireballs now have much less KOing power than before, and he seems harder to control too.
Alt colors: Red, blue, yellow

Zelda - Sadly nerfed across the board. Din's Fire has less power, a smaller hitbox, and less arc when aiming. Nayru's Love only hits up to twice now when used as a close-range attack, as opposed to being multi-hit. Up smash is weaker, up air is MUCH weaker and barely has killing power now, back air is also much weaker now - even when you hit the sweet spot. (Boo.)
Final Smash: Light Arrow. Unchanged.
Alt colors: Red, blue, purple with blonde hair

Zero Suit Samus - Didn't use her at all, but by this point we all know how strong and dangerous she is. I had to play against her too, and ugh. Her laser whip is a pain in the ass to deal with. I see nerfs in her future.
Final Smash: Gunship - Never had it used against me, but after what happened in the Invitational, it's probably getting nerfed.
Alt colors: Dark blue, red, black

3DS STAGES

Arena Ferox - It's fine. The color palette makes it kind of boring in my opinion, but the music is great. It's like the Fire Emblem version of Pokémon Stadium, which I think we all pretty much expected.

Gerudo Valley - It's okay, but there's very little room to move and fight once Koume and Kotake start tearing up the place. Their flames and ice last a little too long and effectively make half the stage unusable as long as they last, and once the bridge goes out, there's even less room. Just too little maneuvering room to be that fun in my opinion. If the stage was bigger, the hazards would be a lot more fun.

Golden Plains - Kind of boring in my opinion. Collecting 100 coins to turn gold and power up is kind of neat, but it's just kind of bland overall... much like NSMB 2 itself. (Shots fired!)

Living Room - Kind of strange. The building blocks very quickly fall in from the top, freeze in midair for a random amount of time, then drop onto the stage. They're almost impossible to avoid and do decent damage when they land on you. Other than that, it's not too notable. It's fine.

Prism Tower - Love this stage. The background's awesome, and the platforms change as you move through the area. It's just fun and kind of reminds me of Delfino Plaza.

Rainbow Road - One of my favorite 3DS stage so far. It's like a Mario Kart version of Port Town Aero Dive. It's fast, colorful, dynamic, and the Shy Guys driving in from the background are a nice touch and not too difficult to avoid.

Reset Bomb Forest - One of my favorite 3DS stage so far. It's fun, the background is epic, and the layout of the stage is different before and after the Reset Bomb goes off.

Spirit Train - Not as fun as I'd hoped, sadly, as I love Spirit Tracks. The music - a rearrangement of ST's overworld theme - is great, though! But it's just a very uneven stage without a lot of stable fighting ground, and once bombs start raining from above it just becomes a scramble to avoid them, and there's not much room to do anything else.

Tortimer Island - Fun, basic. Swimming has been removed for now at least, so falling into the water is just like falling off the stage. No real impressions either way, it's a pretty featureless stage.

WII U STAGES

Battlefield - Well, it's Battlefield, AKA "Final Destination but actually fun." You know what you're getting. For what it's worth, this is definitely the most beautiful iteration of it so far. It looks awesome at sunset.

Boxing Ring - Really fun, a lot more so than I was expecting. It's roomy both in and out of the ring, the ropes are fun to bounce on, and getting up in the rafters and destroying them at just the right time to drop them on your opponents is immensely fun and satisfying. Cool background effects too, like the green laser lights.

Coliseum - Very fun. There's lots of room to fight, and the shifting platforms and features keep things interesting. Not too notable otherwise, it's just fun.

Mushroom Kingdom U - Great. It's bright, colorful, and full of different platform layouts and hazards depending on the form. The Acorn Plains form is basic, the Rock Candy Mines form has geysers with urchins to avoid (which is pretty difficult to do, I might add), etc. Those who dislike hazards won't like it, but I think it's pretty fun.

Pilotwings - Love this stage. It's pretty basic (flat planes that fly at slight angles), but it's bright, beautiful, and just fun to look at. Not much to it, but it's just great, plain and simple.

Skyloft - Fun and looks great, much better than the screenshots so far would have you believe. It's basically the Zelda version of Delfino Plaza. The flying even stops for awhile so some fighting can take place on the Goddess Statue. I like it.

Town and City - Feels pretty much like a prettier version of Smashville. I can't remember anything too notable about it.

Wily's Castle - Sadly my least favorite stage of the playable lot. I'm a huge Mega Man fan, so I was hoping to love this, but it wasn't to be. It's just way too small to begin with, and once the Yellow Devil starts wreaking havoc, there's almost no room at all to work with and avoiding the Yellow Devil's movements is an exercise in futility. The outlying platforms don't really help that much, either. That said, it is incredibly satisfying to be the one to destroy the Yellow Devil and watch its detonation damage or KO your opponents. I just feel like they could have done so much more with a Mega Man stage, though...

That's all for now! That's the bulk of it anyway, I'll update with items and ATs when I get the chance.

JoeInky

I'm laughing at the fact that they're being all up and arms at a demo build of a game that is not even final, and with people willing to listen to changes needed to be made.

It's because they got burned by brawl, early footage of brawl looked fine and we all know how that turned out mechanics-wise.

I think people getting their opinion of the competitive smash community from a bunch of no namers on smash boards is pretty ridiculous anyway, I find casual smash players most entitled and ignorant than the competitive crowd, at least we only complain about a games mechanics whereas you lot generalise based on a few idiots and decide to hate all of the competitive community.

Where can I go to learn about what the hell you guys are talking about when it comes to Smash notation?

Just google the terms with smash next to it or something and you can find out what they are on a wiki or something, or you could always just ask about what you don't understand and we can explain it.

Hey guys! Sorry this took so long - those of you who follow GameXplain know we've been crazy busy nonstop every day of E3, and by the time I got home each night, all I could do was fall into bed.

Anyway, here's my promised Smash 4 impressions, observations, notes, etc. So settle in! I addressed as many of your questions as I could, though I do apologize in advance because I'm sure those of you who did ask questions got your answers some time ago. Still, better late than never!

Fox - Nerfed. Up smash and up air have lost much of their killing power, especially up air. Blaster still racks up damage quickly; Fox Illusion, Fire Fox, and Reflector seem unchanged.
Final Smash: Landmaster. They nerfed Fox's regular moves, but not this - still one of, if not the most overpowered FS in the game now. Lasts a long time, shots kill quickly, still easy to kill off the top of the screen, etc.
Alt colors: Blue, red, green

Sonic - Generally buffed. Moveset is almost exactly the same, but everything's been powered up to have more KO potential. Still doesn't seem overly powerful, but definitely better. Down air is much better.
Final Smash: Super Sonic. Thankfully nerfed. It still lasts too long, but it's far less powerful per hit and doesn't kill as quickly anymore. I saw several people use it and fail to get a single kill.
Alt colors: Blue with magenta gloves, lighter blue with sky blue gloves, Sonic 1 blue (pale blue) with white gloves

That's all for now! That's the bulk of it anyway, I'll update with items and ATs when I get the chance.
Good to hear! Perhaps people will stop using Fox so much. I am glad Sonic got buffed. I really thought he was weak in Brawl. If things are true, CF and Ganon are getting buffed as well, I think. The only one that needs a nerf I think so far is Zero Suit.

After reading around a bit, I really don't blame Sakurai for not listening to the tourney scene. At least these hardcore type, who seem super unappreciative and just plain rude.

I'm glad I can just enjoy Smash.
They pretty much want Melee 2.0. I think we can safely ignore them with their "No item, Fox Only, FD" rules.

Well, I don't know if I'd even consider at an "insult" in the first place. It's a quick way of saying that the game feels way more similar to Brawl than anything else. Obviously that will be a bad thing for some people, but others aren't going to particularly care.
Yeah, I do not see Brawl updated as an insult. The worst parts were online was crap and tripping, which will probably be fixed. Also too many clone characters, which we will see if that is fixed.

JoeInky

I don't think Fox illusion is unchanged, it doesn't put you into special fall state so you can use other moves directly after it.

Good to hear! Perhaps people will stop using Fox so much. I am glad Sonic got buffed. I really thought he was weak in Brawl. If things are true, CF and Ganon are getting buffed as well, I think. The only one that needs a nerf I think so far is Zero Suit.

I think the only way Falcon can get a noticeable buff is if they change the physics back to making it so momentum is conserved, unless they completely change some of his moves, it's like how just looking at his actual moves he was slightly buffed in brawl, but due to the physics changes he was a much, much worse character.

JoeInky

Samus's bombs did not explode on contact, so not much changed there from Brawl.

Yes, those Brawl tournaments were just Fox mirror matches all the time.

Maybe he's talking about how every melee tournament is fox only, final destination, no fun allowed, because we all know that's what competitive melee is like.

ffdgh

The thought of zelda possibly becoming worse than her brawl self amuses me. Oh well, hope things are ironed out in the next few months.

Top Bottom