• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

georly

Mother brain in action for those who want a gif

ibxJLqUuEjItr6.gif

It's really creepy when she turns around.

Bowser and Luigi have yellow costumes now? Could it be possible that Team Yellow is being added?

Except character teams are denoted by outline. (at least on 3ds)
daily-2014-05-22.jpg

Also this:
08PAAfH.png

Macka

Sure! I'm not planning on chopping these into avatar size myself though, you'll have to do it yourself or get someone to do it.
I know I just asked, but I think I'll just stick with my Isaac avatar for now since I haven't had it for very long. Black Greninja should go to someone who really wants it and is more active in this thread anyway. :)

georly

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Sorry if this is a question that is really obvious, I just try to avoid any news because I know I am there day one. Is there any connectivity between the two versions? Shared progress, save data etc.?

emb

Thanks. As far as I could see on the treehouse those were all mostly first hits. This is probably too much work right now, so i'll just wait til the finished game.
Understandable. That is a lot of work to put it. And the damage percents are pretty likely to get tweaked anyway.
Sorry if this is a question that is really obvious, I just try to avoid any news because I know I am there day one. Is there any connectivity between the two versions? Shared progress, save data etc.?
I don't think we actually really know.

I remember it being mentioned in an older interview (at least I think? The thing about customizing and then bringing to the other version?).

We did see the Amiibo figures, and an Amiibo adapter for 3DS planned for the future. So if nothing else, probably in that way.

Like many, I kinda hope we can transfer over character unlocks.

Sakurai confirmed you can transfer customized characters, beyond that not much else we know about.

georly

Sakurai confirmed you can transfer customized characters, beyond that not much else we know about.

Didn't sakurai also say that smash run was the fastest way to unlock content... and then either hinted at or outright said that you can transfer the unlocked content to Wii U?

I assume trophies/equipment.

Didn't sakurai also say that smash run was the fastest way to unlock content... and then either hinted at or outright said that you can transfer the unlocked content to Wii U?

I assume trophies/equipment.
He outright said you can customize your fighters in 3DS and transfer them to Wii U. I assume this is done by Amiibo. Smash Run from what I remember hearing he said will give you the most content to unlock outside of other modes.

Neoxon

Considering they changed Sonic's voice actor to a much less annoying one (Roger Craig Smith, known for Chris Redfield, Ezio, & Younger Batman in Arkham Origins), the taunt change was kinda expected.

I've also compiled a list of known characters who had voice actor swaps. Let me know if I missed anyone.

- Sonic
- Pit
- Lucario
- Fox

zroid

Banned
Okay I think I might be confused. I thought the Amiibo were being used like pets in Smash Bros. CPU-controlled characters that you can "train" and carry around. Are they actually just for saving customizations?

georly

Okay I think I might be confused. I thought the Amiibo were being used like pets in Smash Bros. CPU-controlled characters that you can "train" and carry around. Are they actually just for saving customizations?

You can customize your pet :p And use your pet on either system.

I do not believe they are what is used to transfer your custom, non amiibo, character.
Sakurai said he would talk about that more once the Wii U version was out.

Neoxon

Customizations & level-ups. Apparently they can go up to Level 50 compared to a normal CPU's Level 9, and are being touted as the ultimate training tool.

rawktapus

My understanding is they're a separate character, so you could customize them, but you don't need to do that for characters you personally use. That should be possible just owning both versions.

georly

Customizations & level-ups. Apparently they can go up to Level 50 compared to a normal CPU's Level 9, and are being touted as the ultimate training tool.

Yeah, I like the idea that they 'learn' and 'adapt', according to the treehouse. If you block a lot, they learn to grab more, etc.

If it works as intended, it'll be a good way to practice offline. I still have a feeling you can cheeze them, though, like every other cpu. Let's see!

Axass

Could it be that they are still working on Palutena's character model?

They made an effort to update past Brawl characters into having more facial expressions this time (ex. King DDD) so it was odd for her to be lacking in that area.

I think that's the case, on the whole the WiiU version seemed unpolished at E3, I saw some weird transitions, items glitching through the floor and a game freeze. It's clear they're giving everything they have to ship the 3DS one right now.

JoeInky

When does prog's twitch stream start? I want to know what's going to be said about P:M.

If they did announce some kind of competitive gamemode for 4 that changes the physics and adds more ATs to the game I don't know what I'd do, it's such an unlikely thing to happen that I wouldn't be able to react to it.

Samus's bombs did not explode on contact, so they didn't change from Brawl.
That completely ruins the character for me. It makes me deeply saddened because I mained her in 64 and Melee, and then I had to drop her in Brawl. Looks like she will stay on the back bench this time. Sigh.

Neoxon

Yeah, I like the idea that they 'learn' and 'adapt', according to the treehouse. If you block a lot, they learn to grab more, etc.

If it works as intended, it'll be a good way to practice offline. I still have a feeling you can cheeze them, though, like every other cpu. Let's see!
Now I'll have to buy figures of characters Sonic has bad match-ups with.

Nohar

the baby the baby the baby the baby the baby the baby the baby the baby the baby

That being said, assist trophies aren't supposed to be overpowered (well, with a few exceptions on the Pokémon side).

Now, I'm reading that Zelda is nerfed? Really? :(

I am researching this, but I am starting to notice that stages in Smash 4 seem smaller than in Brawl.

To me Battlefield is definitely smaller for sure. It looks like they clipped the edges of the stage and lowered the platform.

The reason I am pointing this out is because smaller stages may help promote more offensive playing with less room to run away.

Apparently she's still the most powerful character in this one though.
I am talking about fun.

Also, no disrespect to Sakurai, but of his team could actually tell how powerful each character is, the game would be balanced. This is the case for all fighting games. Folks try, but it rarely turns out how they think it should.

Golnei

I don't know but christ Other M Ridley is hideous. Surely notlikethis.gif territory.

I'll take the fact that the Other M Varia and Zero suit were altered heavily in Smash as an indication that Sakurai was aware the design work on that game wasn't great; to say the least. If we get Ridley, he'll probably be a similar model to Super or Prime with a little bit of Other M Ridley's scale or wing texture.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only right thing to do with Sonic is to not include him in the game at all.

And bring back Snake.

I am talking about fun.

Also, no disrespect to Sakurai, but of his team could actually tell how powerful each character is, the game would be balanced. This is the case for all fighting games. Folks try, but it rarely turns out how they think it should.

Not really. Sakurai balances the game with free-for-alls and items in mind. So the competitive definition of powerful is different from Sakurai's.

Revven

Not really. Sakurai balances the game with free-for-alls and items in mind. So the competitive definition of powerful is different from Sakurai's.

The man admitted himself that some characters aren't going to be good in 4 players (FFA or Teams). I very much doubt he just balances under FFA and items.

That said, if they do balance under a variety of different gameplay types then they should be aware of how powerful a character can be in a 1v1 scenario and make some tweaks to them that makes them slightly worse under that game mode.

You just have to hope they are aware of how MK was across all game modes in Brawl and that they'll use him as a bar for what shouldn't be the case lol.

Samus doesn't strike me as a character that would do particularly better in an FFA environment than 1v1. Team, maybe, but she is the type of character that wears down an opponent.

PK Gaming

I think he cares about 1v1 just as much as he cares about f4a and items. In contrast to Brawl, he's added a for glory mode for online play, and has actively made balance changes that have worked to fix some of the most prevalent problems found in the previous title (ledge stalling, chain grabs, etc). It comes across as a genuine attempt at balancing the game for all modes of play.

I don't think Sakurai intentionally dumbed down Smash IV. It feels like he ended up overlooking a few vital things that ended up hurting the game overall (such as excessive lag on aerials) but he's actively tried to make this game more competitive than Brawl.

Top Bottom