• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

DaBoss

The main obstacle for whether or not special move customization is that I heard you had to play single player stuff to unlock them which is likely luck based.

They don't allow the winning player to change characters for this reason. Only the loser may counter-pick.
Equipment is unlocked through single-player. Customization as a whole may require you to unlock it or it being there from the start.

Revven

The main obstacle for whether or not special move customization is that I heard you had to play single player stuff to unlock them which is likely luck based.

Well, actually it sounds like that stuff is unlocked on the 3DS version... but no one knows if there's a way to unlock them in the Wii U version. And if there isn't an easy and quick way to unlock all this stuff in a single day, I really doubt you'll see tournaments for the first month have custom moves as legal if no one can get all of them quick enough to share the save file with the community.

They don't allow the winning player to change characters for this reason. Only the loser may counter-pick.

This is true to some extent but in Smash you can change your character if you won because of how much a stage can impact your character choice. Counterpicking would be hugely advantaged to the loser if you were locked into your character -- MUs shift quite a lot on, say, Fountain of Dreams vs Final Destination. So, the winning player can change characters but this only happens after the loser has picked their stage. So the loser then gets their turn to pick their character, so the winner could still be counterpicked even when they switch their character -- it's all just dependent on how comfortable they are with the MU and stage. It's not too common to see the loser switch their character based on what the winner does character-wise, though anyway as usually the stage does a good enough job as a counterpick for the loser.

Phew, that was a long winded explanation.

JoeInky

If the game lets you transfer all your unlocks from 3DS to WiiU then that would be an easy way of getting around that barrier, the TO could just go around the venue with a 100%'d 3DS and make sure each setup has all the custom moves available.

All of this stuff would be up to the TOs anyway, if most tournaments don't have them during the first couple of months I could see them either never being allowed or very slowly becoming the standard.

If the game lets you transfer all your unlocks from 3DS to WiiU then that would be an easy way of getting around that barrier, the TO could just go around the venue with a 100%'d 3DS and make sure each setup has all the custom moves available.

No, that's too much of a hassle as well.

JoeInky

No, that's too much of a hassle as well.

But they generally have maybe an hour before a tournament starts so everyone can get set up and do friendlies etc, if they really wanted customisable moves in a tournament then that would be the easiest way unless they're all unlocked by default in the WiiU version.

PsionBolt

I think that if the community wants to use custom moves in tournaments, it'll happen. The matter of "they have to be unlocked" is almost certainly not a huge hurdle. Characters and stages have to be unlocked, too. It's already the case that no one runs a tournament without a full save.

Revven

But they generally have maybe an hour before a tournament starts so everyone can get set up and do friendlies etc, if they really wanted customisable moves in a tournament then that would be the easiest way unless they're all unlocked by default in the WiiU version.

This is very true, actually. Most tournaments rarely start on time.

Psionbolt: Characters and stages comparison isn't the same, though, because there are way more customizable moves per character than there are characters and stages themselves. And we know we can unlock characters and stages quickly, we don't know how quickly customizable moves can be unlocked and if they can even be unlocked in the Wii U version yet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope they also have online tournaments like MK8 and that they can be treated as "with friends" (i.e. private) for options like customised moves and Miis. I mean it would be a bit much for a online tournament to require everyone to keep managing their friendlists.

Berordn

Psionbolt: Characters and stages comparison isn't the same, though, because there are way more customizable moves per character than there are characters and stages themselves. And we know we can unlock characters and stages quickly, we don't know how quickly customizable moves can be unlocked and if they can even be unlocked in the Wii U version yet.

Pretty certain they've said that they're unlockable in both versions and across multiple solo modes when they've showcased them in Smash Run, but Smash Run on 3DS is supposed to be the most efficient way of doing it.

Honestly, equipment and custom move sets have zero appeal to me. I feel like it's stickers from SSE all over again.

They sound interesting in theory, but I always felt it takes away from the simplicity that is Smash.

I don't mind learning each characters 4 special moves, because I know it's just 4. Throwing in variables to that makes me a bit anxious. I don't think it'll end up being used, and it'll just be another part of Smash that could have not existed, and we'd have been just as happy.

beanman25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7G7WTstqiw / Super Smash Bros for Wii U Gameplay #31 - Rosalina and Luma v Samus v Donkey Kong v Mario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHAHqXC2H8A / Super Smash Bros for Wii U Gameplay #32 - Villager v Wii Fit Trainer v Link v Greninja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0AUiBebu3Q / Super Smash Bros for Wii U Gameplay #33- Villager v Pit v Link v Marth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81nQVRA0UGI / Super Smash Bros for Wii U Gameplay #34 - Samus v Rosalina and Luma v Marth v Fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=istJ-GaIC-A / Super Smash Bros for Wii U Gameplay #35 - Samus v Little Mac v Bowser v Kirby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2p11j_Aju4 / Super Smash Bros for 3DS Gameplay #7 - Smash Run Walkthrough TREEHOUSE

I have uploaded most of the smash gameplay from the week. I'll double check for anything I have missed!

I really hope they haven't removed the level editor from the series. I loved that in brawl and hope the keep and come up with a better way to share and download user created levels online.

Yeah the custom special moves aren't that great to me at all. It's neat, and that's about all I'd say about them. Seems like the resources could've been better spent on other things, but I dunno.

I mean, it's nice being able to do things like make FLUDD do damage. I don't know, I'm just very "eh" on all of it.

Not to mention I feel it takes away from the original design of each special move. But maybe that's just me.

Guesong

I feel like the best way to do custom moveset would be to have a sub-menu (akin to when you choose your player name) when clicking somewhere on the Character Icon, so you could quick select the specials you want.

I don't think they'll ban the custom movesets in tournaments if it's easily modifiable and accessible. Of course, if you have to back out of the character select screen everytime that's just a huge waste of time. So here's hoping they make it easy.

JoeInky

Honestly, equipment and custom move sets have zero appeal to me. I feel like it's stickers from SSE all over again.

They sound interesting in theory, but I always felt it takes away from the simplicity that is Smash.

I don't mind learning each characters 4 special moves, because I know it's just 4. Throwing in variables to that makes me a bit anxious. I don't think it'll end up being used, and it'll just be another part of Smash that could have not existed, and we'd have been just as happy.

The equipment is basically stickers but the custom movesets really has the potential to shake up the way competitive smash works, in terms of what character you pick.

I've mentioned it before but one of the prime examples of a good custom move I've seen is DK's side special, which makes it much slower but gives him super armour, certain things like that mean that he has a way of breaking through quick characters that really on a quick neutral game by just ignoring them but he still has a weakness of it being slower.

If the rest are done like that where they don't make too much of a difference other than help a character out in certain matchups, then you'd have a lot more cases where it's actually viable to play as your favourite character rather than switch to a pocket character due to an unfavourable matchup.

Neoxon

I feel like the best way to do custom moveset would be to have a sub-menu (akin to when you choose your player name) when clicking somewhere on the Character Icon, so you could quick select the specials you want.

I don't think they'll ban the custom movesets in tournaments if it's easily modifiable and accessible. Of course, if you have to back out of the character select screen everytime that's just a huge waste of time. So here's hoping they make it easy.
I pretty much see them like Assists in MvC2 & (U)MvC3. Hopefully custom moves are easy to select so tournaments can use them, they could prove useful for certain match-ups (especially with the Miis & Palutena having completely different moves to choose from, assuming the Miis will be tournament legal).

fisheyes

zlCfzSCqffUydwTlYB

Pic of the day. This is quite a line-up of characters for the gaming world. I mean, it's amazing enough that Mario can fight Pikachu. I hope you enjoy this truly unique celebration!!

I don't want characters cut, I think Snake has an amazing move set and I could not give even the slightest shit that he is apparently not relevant to Nintendo any more or whatever. People whining about this give me the shits, I want Snake in for sure.

...but...

If this is the 3rd party line up, exactly how it is, then it is perfect. It just feels right. I love it.

Toxi

Banned
Who made this?
That's pretty clever.
Mother brain in action for those who want a gif

ibxJLqUuEjItr6.gif

It's really creepy when she turns around.
She looks beautiful.

It's funny for me when people argue Ridley's too big, because before Mother Brain was confirmed as an assist trophy, I wanted to see if they could somehow make her fit as a playable character while still retaining much of her size.

Custom movesets can work just like stage selection. The winner of the last match can go first and the loser follows afterwards. The starting picks are done blind so no one has an advantage. The only problem is how long it takes to change them.

I feel like during the Mii reveal when the swordsman was shown that I was silently told Isaac is not going to be in the game. :(

Oh well. Link and Ike are still cool. :) Don't care for the rumored/leaked Chrom or Shulk. I wish we coulda gotten a rep from the new Xenoblade Chronicles X game just so we can have some Sawano music in here. :D

Hey Ryce, following your 3DS character select screen deduction, I was wondering if I could do it myself on the Wii U version, but there's one thing that's bugging me--Greninja is listed before Pikachu. Compared to every other series in both versions that makes no sense. Either Greninja will be to the left of Pikachu, which would be odd, or the Pokemon characters aren't going to be arranged in one neat little row like the other series seem to be.

Though I think I figured it out to be four rows of twelve though. The top row probably goes:

Mario - Luigi - Peach - Bowser - Rosalina - Yoshi - Donkey Kong - Diddy Kong - Wario - Chorus Men - Samus - Zero Suit Samus

I think. Samus and Zero Suit Samus I am certain are in that first row, because that would explain why they are listed before the Zelda characters on the Wii U version instead of after like in the 3DS version.

Second row probably starts out Link - Zelda - Sheik - Ganondorf - Toon Link, though beyond that I don't know.

StayDead

I feel like during the Mii reveal when the swordsman was shown that I was silently told Isaac is not going to be in the game. :(

Oh well. Link and Ike are still cool. :) Don't care for the rumored/leaked Chrom or Shulk. I wish we coulda gotten a rep from the new Xenoblade Chronicles X game just so we can have some Sawano music in here. :D

Marth is the coolest swordsman. :D

Peléo

I'm really excited for custom moves, especially from a competitive point of view. Being able to mix up a little the moveset of a certain character may soften up some matchups. Besides, it gives even more freedon to develop different playstyles within the same character.

I'm also curious to see how it will affect some attacks, like Ness PSI magnet and Olimar pluck.

Anth0ny

Isn't smash boards just the worst

Every member hates smash 4 with a burning passion and wants sakurai to die!

And they love melee

So I'm wondering if burying people has become a universal skill. Especially considering how ZSS buried Kirby with her Down-B during the invitational.

And they love melee

Not all members. Heh.

RagnarokX

Heh, I'm catching up on the Smash Tournament since I missed most of it due to work. Looks like Korean DJ got robbed. The commentators said Zero Suit Samus had +6, Rosalina had -2, and Fox and Bowser had -3. They thought -3 was higher than -2.

Awesome fun.

Spinluck

It doesn't matter how he balances the game. Meta Knight is far better than every character in every scenario. Having a lackluster final smash doesn't balance him. He could have zero final smash and he'd still be better than any character in any kind of match. Also he has the same kind of final smash as awful characters such as Falcon and Link.

Also Snake is better than everyone other than Meta Knight and he has a godlike final smash.

And the plethora of exploits such as horrible, easy execution chain grabs from multiple characters further shows his incompetence at balancing.

Balance in smash is a total crap shoot. Always has been. I just hope the 12 person team they have consists of Namco staff experienced in balancing games like Tekken.

Meta Knight isn't a threat if the player doesn't realize how deadly he is. People are acting like a shit player can pick him and instantly dominate. You still need to be a competent player.

Another gem from Smashboards:

Wow you guys are OKAY with Nintendo outright MURDERING our favorite fighting franchise by destroying the unique essence that made smash bros a household name in the first place? That essence being STRICTLY NINTENDO CHARACTERS AND THE OCCASIONAL THIRD PARTY GUEST FIGHTER duking it out to see whos the best? I'm sorry, but the big N ****ing BLEW IT with the introduction of Mii's! I'm pretty damn sure the reason we play smash bros games is to live vicariously as our favorite childhood video game heros, but in a fighting game! NOT PIT RECREATIONS OF HITLER AND BATMAN IN MII FORM AGAINST ONE ANOTHER! THE MERE FACT THAT SO MANY OF YOU ARE OKAY WITH THE FACT THAT POP CULTURE ICONS, HISTORICAL FIGURES, ETC ARE NOW PART OF THE SMASH EXPERIENCE SICKENS ME TO NO END!!! SMASH BROS HAS ALWAYS STRICLY BEEN ABOUT NINTENDO AND THEIR BELOVED HISTORY WITH THE OCCASIONAL THIRD PARTY CHARACTER LIKE MEGA MAN OR SONIC BEING ADDED TO SPICE THINGS UP! NOT ******* POP CULTURE ICONS BEING RECREATED IN MII FORM FIGHTING EACH OTHER TO THE DEATH OR BEATING UP OTHER NINTENDO CHARACTERS BECAUSE THEN ITS JUST CELEBRITY DEATH MATCH PLUS NINTENDO CHARACTERS AND QUITE FRANKLY THAT IS NOT A ****ING SMASH BROS GAME PERIOD! GOD YOU ****ERS ARE (curse word I edited out for neogaf.)

Alright, let's post all the clean images I got this week. As a reminder, for multi-image Miiverse posts, only the first gets an image with no "Wii U"/"3DS" watermark - so no Palutena shot from Tuesday, sorry.

Monday:
daily_20140609_tbyk8.jpg

Tuesday morning:
daily_20140610_48szd.jpg

Tuesday afternoon:
daily_20140610_2pzune.jpg

Wednesday:
daily_20140611_7zu7n.jpg

Thursday:
daily_20140612_wju5n.jpg

Friday (today):
daily_20140613_e3uwy.jpg

Not a bad week.

SoldnerKei

And they love melee

#NotAllMembers

it used to be good back then in 2008, some people remain loyal(shout outs to Link's board) I only lurk from time to time, SmashGAF is nicer IMO

at least when it dosen't come to the sexualization of characters

Since Sakurai recommends the wii lan adapter, does anyone know the best third party one to use? I couldn't find the official one anywhere, not even on Nintendo's site.

TWILT

Banned
I pretty much see them like Assists in MvC2 & (U)MvC3. Hopefully custom moves are easy to select so tournaments can use them, they could prove useful for certain match-ups (especially with the Miis & Palutena having completely different moves to choose from, assuming the Miis will be tournament legal).

Yeah that's how I'm seeing them too. They'd be pretty cool to see if tourneys allow them.

Top Bottom