• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

SoldnerKei

I assume gaf's rules are stricter regarding stuff like that no? Considering the language they casually throw around on Smashboards it doesn't seem particularly interested in staying sfw/filter friendly.

perhaps that's why I feel it nicer, nevertheless it can get pretty silly when it comes to stuff like that, for the good or the bad

at least Smash 4 is getting love in here, even at my local community the Melee-bers are bashing the game like it was cancer, not even sakurai, just the game, I really want that Nintendo takes feedback seriously, but that's something they rarely do right?

I pretty much see them like Assists in MvC2 & (U)MvC3. Hopefully custom moves are easy to select so tournaments can use them, they could prove useful for certain match-ups (especially with the Miis & Palutena having completely different moves to choose from, assuming the Miis will be tournament legal).

Yeah that's what I consider them to be like

Crocodile

Customizable moves on the other hand have the potential to be great in competitive play, as long as they're all side grades and not upgrades, the moment one of the customizations becomes the only option as opposed to just a little bit of extra help against certain matchups is when customizing moves gets thrown out of tournaments.

Just like grooves in CvS2 and assists in Marve or Skullgirls, there are going to be certain custom moves or combination of custom moves that are just generally better/more useful than others. It's 100% unavoidable.

Rhapsody

Banned
I assume gaf's rules are stricter regarding stuff like that no? Considering the language they casually throw around on Smashboards it doesn't seem particularly interested in staying sfw/filter friendly.

Depends on the mod, I guess. They definitely get infracted for censor bypassing.
Honestly the Smash 4 area is a mess because it's usually hectic. The places outside of that, it's much more tame and strict.

As for tourneys, I doubt they'll do any of the customized movesets.

SuperSah

Banned
Well damn, the training room music is DIFFERENT for all characters! Noticed on 3DS Direct feeds.

Also, we can also hear the menu theme and the full Punch Out track from a Smash Run direct-feed video! :D

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Friday (today):
daily_20140613_e3uwy.jpg

Not a bad week.

Everyone but mario is smiling.

jph139

Hey Ryce, following your 3DS character select screen deduction, I was wondering if I could do it myself on the Wii U version, but there's one thing that's bugging me--Greninja is listed before Pikachu. Compared to every other series in both versions that makes no sense. Either Greninja will be to the left of Pikachu, which would be odd, or the Pokemon characters aren't going to be arranged in one neat little row like the other series seem to be.

Though I think I figured it out to be four rows of twelve though. The top row probably goes:

Mario - Luigi - Peach - Bowser - Rosalina - Yoshi - Donkey Kong - Diddy Kong - Wario - Chorus Men - Samus - Zero Suit Samus

I think. Samus and Zero Suit Samus I am certain are in that first row, because that would explain why they are listed before the Zelda characters on the Wii U version instead of after like in the 3DS version.

Second row probably starts out Link - Zelda - Sheik - Ganondorf - Toon Link, though beyond that I don't know.

I'm thinking four rows of twelve as well... probably with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu down the far left side. Assuming your first row is correct:

Link - Zelda - Sheik - Ganondorf - Toon Link - Shulk - Villager - Ice Climber - Game & Watch - R.O.B. - Pit - Palutena
Kirby - Meta Knight - King Dedede - Fox - Falco - Wolf - Captain Falcon - Marth - Ike - Chrom - Ness - Greninja
Pikachu - Charizard - Lucario - Jigglypuff - Olimar - Little Mac - Wii Fit Trainer - Mii Fighters - Mega Man - Sonic - Pac-Man - Random

The only ones who are way out of place here are Greninja and Shulk. That's everyone confirmed + Gematsu leak + Random for a total of 47 fighters. Interestingly enough, though, other than Chorus Kids, Little Mac, Shulk, and Villager, the entire thing is in rough chronological order... first two rows are NES and earlier, third row is late NES and SNES, bottom row is most recent (and third parties).

Vidiot

I'm surprisingly excited to play as my Mii in Smash. I mean they can't top actual characters but seeing a cartoon version of myself fighting along with Mario, Link, Samus, etc is very cool. Especially with the custom movesets and clothing.

Hey guys was there any Smash 3DS extended footage showed off that I somehow missed? Smash Wii U had the Invitational and a Treehouse showing but I haven't seen any of 3DS Smash beyond trailer snippets

Kouichi

I'm surprisingly excited to pay as my Mii in Smash. I mean they can't top actual characters but seeing a cartoon version of myself fighting along with Mario, Link, Samus, etc is very cool. Especially with the custom movesets and clothing.

I feel the same way. For those who plan to use the Mii Fighters, which one are you guys most interested in?

Mii Shooter looks like a ton of fun.

Luqi

I think the problem we are seeing a lot is: people are expecting this to Melee2 and this WON'T be Melee2.

Honestly, I don't play competitive, I don't even intend to but I want to play and have fun, I want to play with my friends and I want to play for glory on the online mode and THIS will be delivered with Sm4sh.

People complaining / hating on it and saying Melee is better are not understading what the concept of a new game means, it means it need to target more people, it means it need more players, it means it need to be accessible and this people are forgetting that just because of X and Y mechanics.

I'll have tons of fun with Sm4sh so I'm hyped.

georly

Cool, thanks. Gotta hunt down an archive of that.

It'll be on nintendo's youtube soon, likely today (based on the way they've been updating).

Amiibo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUjMhc6YgU
Smash 3DS Features trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRq5bz6ZNYU
Smash Roundtable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsmjbifWUk
People's Challenger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcVloLgoJHA

Treehouse:
Wii U (day 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCQDRuL8Dk

tumblr_n72110IAc11qhbar8o1_1280.gif

I've been a bit busy, can you cut it out to make an avatar yourself?
You might want to make a non-animated version for that purpose at some point; I'm seeing noticeable dithering on Pac-Man's gloves that I'm assuming you're not intending to exist, presumably brought about by GIF's 256 color limit (well, technically not true, but it's not like any image editing software out there supports true-color GIFs that I've ever seen).

No rush tho. Not like I need it :p

47 characters confirmed

let the mockups begin

So current roster (33, I think Mii will be one spot)
+
Remaining leaked newcomers (3)
+
Remaining Brawl veterans (13)
-
Lucas and Snake cut (2)
=
47!

So no Mewtwo :(

This is assuming Mii has a roster spot, which may not be the case since it's not available online. If that's the case, there could be one more character.

I hope that Smash Boards mods are playing whack a mole right now because damn some of the comments people have been posting here would get you banned on gamefaqs lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
47 characters confirmed

let the mockups begin

Fuck, that exactly fits with the Gematsu leak assuming Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucas are cut.

Not that I dislike the new roster, but it's disappointing we likely know it already. Sort of diminishes the hype.

mrhej

So current roster (33, I think Mii will be one spot)
+
Remaining leaked newcomers (3)
+
Remaining Brawl veterans (13)
-
Lucas and Snake cut (2)
=
47!

So no Mewtwo :(

This is assuming Mii has a roster spot, which may not be the case since it's not available online. If that's the case, there could be one more character.

How do you know Lucas will be cut?

ffdgh

Considering they changed Sonic's voice actor to a much less annoying one (Roger Craig Smith, known for Chris Redfield, Ezio, & Younger Batman in Arkham Origins), the taunt change was kinda expected.

I've also compiled a list of known characters who had voice actor swaps. Let me know if I missed anyone.

- Sonic
- Pit
- Lucario
- Fox

Pit was for the absolute best....wait, No more Goku Lucario? :(

JoeInky

I think the problem we are seeing a lot is: people are expecting this to Melee2 and this WON'T be Melee2.

Honestly, I don't play competitive, I don't even intend to but I want to play and have fun, I want to play with my friends and I want to play for glory on the online mode and THIS will be delivered with Sm4sh.

People complaining / hating on it and saying Melee is better are not understading what the concept of a new game means, it means it need to target more people, it means it need more players, it means it need to be accessible and this people are forgetting that just because of X and Y mechanics.

I'll have tons of fun with Sm4sh so I'm hyped.

You seem to be under the impression that people want melee 2 and not just a mechanically sound game, your post just makes it look like you don't understand how this game could be good competitively without being melee 2.

Reducing landing lag and giving more options out of dash doesn't suddenly make the game less accessible, it makes it more fun at every skill level and it makes it more fun and exciting to watch as a spectator sport.

More people playing the game at a competitive level gets people more excited about the game, current owners see players doing things they didn't even think was possible and it gets them to explore the depth offered to them, people talk about it more and it becomes able to reach an even wider audience. It can make smash something special, something more than any of the others have been.

I think if just having loads of new characters and items and general content makes you excited and happy about the game without really caring about the depths of the mechanics then you shouldn't really be complaining about people who just want smash 4 to be a better game.

It's hard being someone who wants so much for the game, who really wants to see it grow and become appreciated as the deep, exciting, interesting game that it can be when you get put down at almost every bloody turn by people who are happy with it just being some random game you play once in a while to mess around or by people who don't think it should be regarded as highly as the likes of SF or MvC.

It's pretty heart-breaking when even the developer of the game acts the same way sometimes.

I can completely understand why people from smashboards act as vitriolic as they do, it's definitely not the best mindset and it definitely doesn't help our community, but people get like that when both casual players, the FGC and sakurai have shunned them for so long.

It's really hard to get across just how much I fucking love smash bros. at all levels of play and just want to see it become something brilliant that everyone can enjoy, so this post just ended up being all over the place, it's just annoying how much I'm seeing this attitude lately.

Top Bottom