• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

KHlover

Banned
Who else plans to burn money and buy the entire SSB4 amiibo cast?
I would but I don't earn enough money to justify stuff like that. I'll have to wait until October of next year for that.

In the meantime I'll only buy Marth and Palutena close to release and some more for christmas.

JoeInky

Can someone post the link to that thread about this weekends tournament? Want to know when it starts, so I have an idea of how much time I can spend in the P:M lab.

Don't want to miss any hype shit happening.

Golnei

Hey, that Luigi pose is awesome. Don't hate!

I do not plan to buy Ike's amiibo, but I know it's going to look pretty damn awesome.

main.png

Definitely in for that one. Considering they're planning custom Mii figures, I wonder if they'll do limited runs of alternate costumes? It'd just be a different paint job, and we've seen other figures get alternate colour schemes in the past.

Who else plans to burn money and buy the entire SSB4 amiibo cast?

me(probably...who am i kidding nintendo has my wallet)

I see no issue with the small list that Revven suggested, personally.
That said, like many I guess I just like to get my hands on something to get a feel for it myself and put everything in perspective before I can really related to the feedback other people are giving :3

I guess it's also worth mentioning that it's funny what players will overlook on their first impressions due to whatever mindset they go in with: In one of the earlier versions of a combat system for a board game I'm dabbling with one of the playtesters (a very experienced professional board game designer) was honestly baffled why I'd included one of the moves in the game, as it basically required both you and your opponent to not move for a turn to connect. I pointed out it's theoretical usage (which is more than you'll get from Sakurai admittedly :p ) inspired by tactics I'd noticed in actual high-level matches of Soul Calibur, but the tester seemed unconvinced and claimed he could never see a situation coming up where he'd use it...
Two turns later he won the entire fight decisively by using the move in question, much to the amusement of all present XD

Moral of the story here is... there might be tactics we're not seeing yet just because we don't have the right line of thinking to spot them. All the same, however, I see no issue with people giving constructive feedback anyway and if they're not enjoying it then it's the task of a good designer to work out why and see if it can be/needs fixed :3

this is basically how i feel now after hearing a bit of back and forth as well as common issues i want to try the game out for myself and make my own impressions on how i think about the game and see where it goes from there :p

also i know sakurai has a twitter (i think) does he ever answer questions from fans?

Odd question, but I just remembered that glowing crate that was PotD right before the Smash Direct. What was that?

a box built of sakurais lies (jk) maybe something to do with the miis? since it seemed to have their gun scheme going on (maybe mii gunners can build platforms lol)

or it could just be a box :T since sak loves boxes

Berordn

That's what Alberto's saying. Giga Bowser isn't even from a Mario game so that being Bower's final smash is a bit disappointing.

Giga Bowser's probably based a little on Bowser's SMB sprite, but... there's still better options if we're going for something that actually represents him.

RPGCrazied

And he'd get an amiibo if he's in.

First one I buy. Then Samus/Zelda/Link of course.

Reason why I was on the fence about this, other than the higher resolution and a few new characters and stages, it doesn't look much different than Smash on the Wii. Unless I missed something. Although you can no longer play online on the Wii version, another reason I have to get this. Even if it wasn't that good, at least it had a story mode. Isn't this version not going to have that?

Is Shulk still a rumor? I might would just have to buy this Smash if he is added.

He's in the Gematsu leak, which is looking extremely accurate at this point in time (it predicted all currently announced newcomers except Rosalina and arguably Greninja, for starters).

First one I buy. Then Samus/Zelda of course.

Reason why I was on the fence about this, other than the higher resolution and a few new characters and stages, it doesn't look much different than Smash on the Wii. Unless I missed something. Although you can no longer play online on the Wii version, another reason I have to get this. Even if it wasn't that good, at least it had a story mode. Isn't this version not going to have that?

It appears to be closer to Melee than Brawl was, but yeah, it's more or less the same gameplay.

Nohar

Well, if you take Xenoblade's success into account, and the upcoming Xenoblade X game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shulk in SSB. Though, I'm beginning to think his character won't be revealed in advance on the official website, and that he will remain an hidden character until the game's release.

Well, if you take Xenoblade's success into account, and the upcoming Xenoblade X game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shulk in SSB. Though, I'm beginning to think his character won't be revealed in advance on the official website, and that he will remain an hidden character until the game's release.

We're three months away from the Japanese launch. I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least one more newcomer trailer.

Berordn

We've got a lot of videos of what look like in-depth solo modes... on the 3DS version. The Wii U version will almost definitely have something comparable, but we've got no confirmation so far.

We're three months away from the Japanese launch. I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least one more newcomer trailer.
This is really what's making me question if Sal's remaining three characters from his leak are all we have left; we're probably going to get at least one more newcomer trailer, and having only two unlockable newcomers would be an all-time low for the series. I get that Sonic and Snake were unlockable in Brawl and the same thing might happen here with Pac and Mega Man, but I think Brawl still had Lucario, ROB, Toon Link and Wolf as unlockables which barring leaks weren't officially shown off before the Japanese release.

I don't want to get my hopes up (and I'm fine if what we currently have now + the leak is our roster), but I could see another character or two being included, even if it's just Mewtwo + Dixie or something similarly obvious. Plus one already has a moveset beyond a FS (which could easily just be a Mega transformation) and the other might have enough to work off from whatever was planned when she was tied to Diddy in Brawl's early production period.

Berordn

This is really what's making me question if Sal's remaining three characters from his leak are all we have left; we're probably going to get at least one more newcomer trailer, and having only two unlockable newcomers would be an all-time low for the series.

I don't want to get my hopes up (and I'm fine if what we currently have now + the leak is our roster), but I could see another character or two being included, even if it's just Mewtwo + Dixie or something similarly obvious.

Going from three secret newcomers (four if you really want to count Toon Link) to two secret newcomers isn't really that big a drop. At the end of the day, it's hard to market what's new about your game when you impose a restriction about new characters on yourself.

Golnei

I don't want to get my hopes up (and I'm fine if what we currently have now + the leak is our roster), but I could see another character or two being included, even if it's just Mewtwo + Dixie or something similarly obvious. Plus one already has a moveset beyond a FS (which could easily just be a Mega transformation) and the other might have enough to work off from whatever was planned when she was tied to Diddy in Brawl's early production period.

Though Melee assets can't be directly ported to 4 in the way Brawl's can. If Mewtwo's in, he'll essentially have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Berordn

Though Melee assets can't be directly ported to 4 in the way Brawl's can. If Mewtwo's in, he'll essentially have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Brawl used Melee as a base (and has some evidence of Mewtwo as playable at some point), SSB4 uses Brawl as a base and is probably still able to use all of Melee's effects and assets.

Plus they'll be able to use whatever they ported into Brawl before he ultimately got axed.

ec0ec0

sakurai, i could ask why so many things are how they are in smash 4 but, really, why does shield grabbing still look SO broken!?

shielstun sakurai, do you remember??

edit: shield pressure should be an important part of smash...

Revven

Not sure if posted yet but Clashtournaments got a lot of E3 footage of Smash 4 but the most important bit is that they also got several 1v1 matches recorded: https://www.youtube.com/user/CLASHTournaments/videos

It's the thumbnails with the character art on them that are the 1v1s, the ones before that are FFAs. Unfortunately, they still have items on so it's hard to tell how the characters would play without them at this stage. Still, it's footage nonetheless I thought people would appreciate.

munchie64

From my calculations, depending on the price I am going to spend over 100-150 dollars on Smash figures alone. I don't know how to feel about it.

I can't even think about buying them all doe.

Berordn

Not sure if posted yet but Clashtournaments got a lot of E3 footage of Smash 4 but the most important bit is that they also got several 1v1 matches recorded: https://www.youtube.com/user/CLASHTournaments/videos

It's the thumbnails with the character art on them that are the 1v1s, the ones before that are FFAs. Unfortunately, they still have items on so it's hard to tell how the characters would play without them at this stage. Still, it's footage nonetheless I thought people would appreciate.

This one just revealed the most important thing about the game.

...Greninja doesn't get ears from the Super Leaf :(

Top Bottom