• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmagus

kmufqk.gif

Yeah, it's time for us to make a huge leap from Smash 3DS to Smash HD!

Best choice of gif Heath! Finally only one day left!!

I must say it has been an honor to hype with you SmashGAF :)

Class was canceled. I hate when professors do that. Hopefully there wasn't an emergency, though.

Anyway, bright side is I am near the GameStop where I preordered Smash. I'll wait the next 15 minutes to pay it off. Almost there now.

Can anyone explain to me what makes the Gamecube controller supposedly so great for Smash? Like, are there any actual advantages compared to modern Wii U controllers or is it just a nostalgia thing?

actually people still use the gamecube controller because melee players don't want to let go

it's just a rad controller

Yes that's pretty much what I assumed.

Sounds like you missed the spoilers.

Gold captain falcon a lil too shiny

url-17.gif

Ahhhhh I can't believe it comes out tomorrow. Smash is the quintessential Nintendo package. Doesn't get better than having a big ol Smash party with friends.

What will your first VS match be? I think I'm gonna do a classic Mario vs Sonic match on battlefield. It's gonna look so pretty D:

georly

I've clocked in 10 hours of gameplay and have yet to unlock Duck hunt or game and watch :/

Interestingly enough, duck hunt was a playable fighter in smash tour one time, even though we hadn't unlocked him yet.

So far here's what I know about unlocking:
DK 64 stage - beat the first single player event match
Pokemon stadium 2 - beat one of the events that has pokemon stadium 2 (not sure which number)
Pac Land - play smash tour on all 3 smash tour maps ;_;
Character unlocks are similar to 3DS, with no of smash matches or random other things determining unlock order. The 3DS unlock glitch doesn't work on this one (selecting a mii fighter)

Too many challenges are tied to smash tour. Some of the challenges seem really ridiculously hard, too.

RetroMG

Hey, in case this wasn't already posted, The OST CD offer is up now at Club Nintendo if you have digitally preordered Smash WiiU. (And registered the 3DS version as well, obviously.)

It also acknowledges that I've qualified for the Mewtwo DLC.

georly

Just now catching up on the news i missed over the last couple of days:

Metaknight amiibo is best buy exclusive ;_;

Mewtwo is the only dlc we're getting ;_;

Can't decide between a hard copy and just downloading it on the eShop. I can get the download sooner than the physical copy I think, plus it'll be there when I get back from work tomorrow. Hmmm.

Revven

Dude, it's the same thing as when Sakurai said they had no plans for DLC in 2013. It's just another way of saying, "We can't comment on that right now." They don't want to get the consumers in a tizzy over lots of DLC when the game isn't even out yet. It's a PR tactic.

We have an example of this already with MK8 when Konno denied the possibility of DLC and other Nintendo franchises for MK8 and look what happened...

There is no way Mewtwo is the only DLC they're making or going to make.

I've clocked in 10 hours of gameplay and have yet to unlock Duck hunt or game and watch :/

Interestingly enough, duck hunt was a playable fighter in smash tour one time, even though we hadn't unlocked him yet.

Pokemon stadium 2 - beat one of the events that has pokemon stadium 2 (not sure which number)
Character unlocks are similar to 3DS, with no of smash matches or random other things determining unlock order. The 3DS unlock glitch doesn't work on this one (selecting a mii fighter)

Too many challenges are tied to smash tour. Some of the challenges seem really ridiculously hard, too.
Pokemon Stadium 2 is unlocked via When Lightning Strikes
Smashville is unlocked by Playing Tricks
I don't know for Duck Hunt and Flat Zone X but I would guess events too

The calm before the storm, this has been by far the best hype train I've had the pleasure to ride.

tumblr_inline_mqq4kqAtnD1s3lvt8.jpg

There is nothing left to do but wait a relatively short amount of time.

Son Of D

I do wonder what the PotD will be between NA, EU and Japan releases.

Also will they be posted and discussed here or in the Wii U version OT?

RetroMG

There is no hype train like a Smash Bros Hype train - it's the train that brought me to GAF in the first place, back when Brawl launched.

How soon can we start the hype thread for Smash 5? I'm thinking next week.

Kinsei

Banned

*Sigh* I figured there'd be a bunch of Smash Tour challenges, but this is still really disappointing. This mode should be completely optional.

emb

*Sigh* I figured there'd be a bunch of Smash Tour challenges, but this is still really disappointing. This mode should be completely optional.
Is Smash Tour like SSE levels of fun or something? Seems like people aren't too hot on it.

Glad to hear that KJ64 unlocks early. Love that stage.
perhaps this has been asked, but we can transfer unlocked characters from the 3ds version? I want to play Lucina tonight too :x
Nah, can't do it. I think the only transfers are your custom setups for characters (not the custom moves themselves even).

Though more characters are unlocked at the start. But I'm not sure who.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Good to know

Neoxon

Just now catching up on the news i missed over the last couple of days:

Metaknight amiibo is best buy exclusive ;_;

Did you miss the "at the moment" part? They'll bring more eventually, they just don't have a plan at this exact moment.

SoldnerKei

Nah, can't do it. I think the only transfers are your custom setups for characters (not the custom moves themselves even).

Though more characters are unlocked at the start. But I'm not sure who.

yikes,then I guess I'll be unlocking characters from versus battles first, hopefully they get unlocked fast

Tom_Cody

I am almost finished with the challenges on the 3DS version, whereas I didn't come close to completing the challenges in Melee and Brawl.

What I'm saying is, it seems that they planned the challenges in the 3DS edition so they could be reasonably completed before the Wii U launch. Maybe the Wii U challenges are meant to be completed over the course of a year versus a couple months for the 3DS version?

bumpkin

BestBuy.com
Super Smash Bros. Bundle - Nintendo Wii
SKU: 7493005
Order Status:: 1 item(s) - Order in process of being fulfilled.
That's a beautiful thing!

Speaking of Best Buy, has anyone who pre-ordered the Villager Amiibo heard anything? When I got their "your items will be ready for pickup..." email message, he was missing from the list; the rest of the Amiibo I pre-ordered at the same time were all present and accounted for.

emb

yikes,then I guess I'll be unlocking characters from versus battles first, hopefully they get unlocked fast
In general I don't mind unlocking characters... but it isn't very exciting when I've already unlocked them all once, and played as them for over a month. : \

GringoJB

That's a beautiful thing!

Speaking of Best Buy, has anyone who pre-ordered the Villager Amiibo heard anything? When I got their "your items will be ready for pickup..." email message, he was missing from the list; the rest of the Amiibo I pre-ordered at the same time were all present and accounted for.

Same here! They're all ready for pickup except for the Villager. It's like he's totally disappeared off of bestbuy.com... like, you can't search for him and bring up his product page, even if you search his SKU that you can see if you browse your order. Weirdness...!

yodandy

Anyone get theirs early via Amazon yet? Mine is currently at my local carrier a few cities away, wondering if I have a chance of getting it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom