• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Tyeforce

Here’s my latest roster. The fake leak inspired a visual redesign.

fin.png

As always, there are lots of obsessive-compulsive details (most of which just conveniently fell into place, honestly):
  • Mario family characters are grouped together
  • Yoshi and Olimar are together (Shigefumi Hino games)
  • F-Zero is next to Star Fox (shared universe)
  • Animal Crossing is next to Pikmin (2001 EAD games)
  • Olimar is next to Captain Falcon (space captains)
  • Bounty hunters are together (Wolf, Captain Falcon & Samus)
  • Nintendo EAD IPs are together (Mario, Star Fox, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Zelda & Wii Fit)
  • The “FDS Four” are together (Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus & Murasame Castle)
  • Retro characters are together
  • Nintendo R&D1 IPs are together (Metroid, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, R.O.B. & Game & Watch)
  • RPG series are together (Pokémon, Mother & Fire Emblem)
  • Second-party and third-party series are grouped together at the bottom (Kirby, Pokémon, Mother, Fire Emblem, etc.)
Also, like Brawl’s roster, I tried to pick an even amount of newer and older newcomers.

Post-Brawl (2005-)
Rosalina & Luma
Wii Fit Trainer
Zoroark
Chrom

Pre-Brawl (-2005)
Palutena
Villager
Bowser Jr.
Toon Zelda

Retro
Takamaru

Pac-Man
Mega Man
Very clean looking roster! I like how it mixes Brawl's roster style with the new style.

I'd be pretty okay with this roster. I'm not in the Bowser Jr. or Toon Zelda camp, but other than that I'd enjoy seeing everyone else. I'm still not convinced that they can make Zoroark work with his Illusion Ability, though, and I fear that Chrom wouldn't be different enough from Marth.

I like how you're very particular with the character placement in your roster, too. I'm the same way. I never really explained the layout in my roster, so I might as well do that now. I suppose it's kind of obvious, but here it is:

• Column 1: Mario series characters
  • Column 2: Mario related series characters
  • Column 3: The Legend of Zelda series characters
  • Column 4: The "sci-fi" series characters
  • Column 5: Characters from series that Sakurai was involved with
  • Column 6: Pokémon series characters
  • Column 7: Characters from series that were originally Japanese-only
  • Column 8: Characters from series only represented by one character; mostly "newer" or "updated" series
  • Column 9: Characters from series only represented by one character; mostly "retro" series
  • Column 10: Third-party characters and Mii
rGacp9T.png

Also, I've touched up my roster a bit (changed Mario's art and renamed Wonderful Ones to The Wonderful 100). Hopefully this will be the last time I touch it before another character is revealed, lol.

I really hope they make a "Picture Mode" where you can have extra control and added simplicity in making really cool pictures of the characters.

It could be:

• Control/Pose up to 4 Characters
  • Enable or Disable Hit Boxes
  • A freer camera range (Similar to Project M)
  • Take control of Assist Trophies and their animations as well
  • Spawn Items
  • Control, slow down, and Freeze the frames of animations on the characters
  • Control and Freeze the frames of animation of the stage
  • Option to add Trophies to picture, and ability to scale size, and option to remove trophy stand.

It would make for amazing Miiverse postings :) What do you guys think?

rawktapus

I really hope they make a "Picture Mode" where you can have extra control and added simplicity in making really cool pictures of the characters.

It could be:

• Spawn Items
  • Option to add Trophies to picture, and ability to scale size, and option to remove trophy stand.

Sounds awesome! Miiverse sharing is one of the features I'm most excited about, especially because Sakurai's the kind of guy who tries to capitalize on every feature of his games system.

Son Of D

It could be:

• Spawn Items

I could see it happening. The Gamepad screen and lower 3DS screen could be used to draw on the pictures or to add text, items, trophies etc. to your screenshot.

XwCQN8l.jpg

Pic of the day. Who's the girl next door, living in the haunted mansion? You'd better learn my name because it's…

That pretty much soft-confirms Wario.

95WUC4l.jpg

She was my number 1. Worst day ever.

Yeah, I hope you're not seriously thinking Marina has even a slight shot at becoming playable. She's not a Nintendo character, she's from an N64 one-shot game with only moderate success sale-wise, and she's been in limbo ever since.

That pretty much soft-confirms Wario.

Why... why are people doubting so many characters? Who got cut from melee to brawl? A pikachu clone, a marth clone (replaced with a more unique character from his franchise), a link clone (replaced with another link clone), a mario clone, and mewtwo (who got replaced with the vaguely similar lucario).do people actually think non-clone characters are in significant amounts of danger? Is this a by-product of needing something to talk about in the absence of real information, or does the 3ds version have people paranoid? Is there a joke I'm missing? Fear for lucas and ike, or pray for falco and wolf to be cut- at least those things have a chance of happening.

Could someone explain to me the recent interest in Takamaru being playable? I understand that he had a mini-game in NintendoLand but it seemed pretty obvious to me that he was just being tacked on to an existing tech demo that Nintendo didn't want to exclude from the game simply on the basis that none of their known characters would fit the premise of tossing ninja stars.

That being said, I don't see what's interesting about him regardless of those extraneous details.

Replace Bowser Jr. with either Dixie or K. Rool (really don't see another Mario newcomer happening after Rosalina) and throw in Mac (or replace Takamaru, though I do sorta want him in) and I'd be down with this roster.

Also, I thought you said awhile ago if forced to decide you felt Chrom wasn't going to happen? Or is this more a wishlist and less an educated-guess roster?

More stuff.
I definitely prefer this one though. I'd be leaning more towards Shulk than 101/Wonder Red though if it's an either-or thing, especially if X winds up being Xenoblade 2/Online. Robin would be pretty cool if the 3DS version let you import your version of him/her if you own FE:A (something which I hope, but probably won't happen with Villager and those who own New Leaf).

Could someone explain to me the recent interest in Takamaru being playable? I understand that he had a mini-game in NintendoLand but it seemed pretty obvious to me that he was just being tacked on to an existing tech demo that Nintendo didn't want to exclude from the game simply on the basis that none of their known characters would fit the premise of tossing ninja stars.

That being said, I don't see what's interesting about him regardless of those extraneous details.
He's one of the few remaining 'retro one-offs' that has potential for a moveset (unless too many sword types becomes a deal, but he'd be the only samurai
I really want Samurai Goroh though :(
), has a following in Japan like Pit did back before Brawl and still gets occasionally acknowledged, even overseas. Only thing is I just don't see him getting in over Mac, whom at this point I'd hesitate to even label as 'retro'; he's part of a big series that just happens to be more popular and iconic in the west than Japan.

Ryce

Also, I thought you said awhile if forced to decide you felt Chrom wasn't going to happen? Or is this more a wishlist and less an educated-guess roster?
It's sort of both a wish list and a prediction. I wouldn't be surprised to see a third Fire Emblem character, so I just used Chrom for the time being. Awakening seems too popular to ignore even if Chrom would play similarly to Marth. I'm definitely not confident in that pick, though.

People still expect Zoark?
Pokémon Black/White/Black 2/White 2 are among the most significant Nintendo games released since Brawl, and Zoroark is the best newcomer to represent those games. Keep in mind that even though Lucario appeared in Brawl, Plusle & Minun were also planned. Just because X and Y are the latest games doesn't necessarily mean generation five is going to be completely glossed over.

Granted, Zoroark is far from a lock and I wouldn't put any money down on a bet, but I also think he's more likely than most of the community gives him credit for.

People still expect Zoark?

who?

That's Brawl for you. The whole washed out thing honestly gives the game a rather somewhat depressing-feel rather than something so upbeat. I feel colors is honestly more important than what people really think. SSB4's colorful for the most part, thankfully. (Some of the characters needs work though... and some of the stages too)

hey you have a much better looking Flareon avatar now!

does that mean you no longer have any moves

Shun

Why... why are people doubting so many characters? Who got cut from melee to brawl? A pikachu clone, a marth clone (replaced with a more unique character from his franchise), a link clone (replaced with another link clone), a mario clone, and mewtwo (who got replaced with the vaguely similar lucario).do people actually think non-clone characters are in significant amounts of danger? Is this a by-product of needing something to talk about in the absence of real information, or does the 3ds version have people paranoid? Is there a joke I'm missing? Fear for lucas and ike, or pray for falco and wolf to be cut- at least those things have a chance of happening.

To be fair, Roy was a shitty lord from the Fire Emblem Series. FE fans and Japanese fans alike hate him.

People are really just craving information until the game finally comes out. Once it finally comes out, they can start complaining about it. People are never happy till they get what they want.

For me, I love Falco and I'd much rather have him return than Wolf. Ike should be replaced with Priam, his ancestor. Lucas is gonna be in, who are they gonna replace him with, Ninten?

It's really not up for us to decide, it's up to Sakurai and what's popular in Japan. We just debate to close that void in our hearts because we know that any suggestions from the West will be dismissed.

Why... why are people doubting so many characters?

I never doubted Wario's return, but it's still good to know that one of my favorite Nintendo characters is back.

mewtwo (who got replaced with the vaguely similar lucario)

This is 100% wrong.

Here is the "evidence" that Lucario replaced Mewtwo:
- They are both Pokemon.
- They both have 1 move they share (the charge shot).

Here is the evidence that Lucario didn't replace Mewtwo:
- The game files show that Mewtwo was close to finished when he was scrapped.
- The game files also show that he was intended to be the only of the 4 characters that didn't make it to actually be included on the final roster.
- The game's story mode heavily involves Lucario, which means that he has been planned to be added from the very start.
- The producer went on the record to say that Sonic was a last minute addition (i.e. he wasn't planned), and the reason why the game was delayed at least once (-> the remaining resources were used to include Sonic instead of finishing Mewtwo).
- The producer also mentioned that it was difficult to work with the Pokemon company (I assume that this also was one of the reasons why Mewtwo didn't make it; there were too many details to be added)

As I mentioned before, numerous times when it comes to roster creation, there was no "slot" that was taken from Mewtwo per se. The developers fully intended to include the character, but due to time constraints, they were not able to finish him, so the game shipped without Mewtwo.
If you want to be super-technical, then Sonic is the one who replaced Mewtwo in Brawl, not Lucario.

To be fair, Roy was a shitty lord from the Fire Emblem Series. FE fans and Japanese fans alike hate him.

People are really just craving information until the game finally comes out. Once it finally comes out, they can start complaining about it. People are never happy till they get what they want.

For me, I love Falco and I'd much rather have him return than Wolf. Ike should be replaced with Priam, his ancestor. Lucas is gonna be in, who are they gonna replace him with, Ninten?

It's really not up for us to decide, it's up to Sakurai and what's popular in Japan. We just debate to close that void in our hearts because we know that any suggestions from the West will be dismissed.

come on, Priam has as much character from Awakening as a rock and is completely irrelevant to the plot

Shun

come on, Priam has as much character from Awakening as a rock and is completely irrelevant to the plot

B-b-but, Priam can use chi and he's a fitness maniac.

Edit: But I hope they add language options like Melee. I want to be able to switch my character voices and text to Japanese. At the very least bring back the hiragana and katakana fonts.

When brawl came out and my friends from my temple came over, we were sad we couldn't use the kana in our names.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Because Takakmaru's game shown up on Australian's ESRB, which caused a lot of speculation. Also he got featured in three games after Brawl got released, which are Samurai Warrior 3, NintendoLand and Captain Rainbow.

For me, I have been supporting him ever since pre-Brawl because I want a Samurai character with semi-ninja moveset.

Ryce

To quote an earlier post of mine:

I’m not trying to “convert” anyone, but objectively, Takamaru is a sensible retro character addition.

In 1986, Nintendo released four major titles for the new Famicom Disk System peripheral: The Legend of Zelda, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Metroid, and Kid Icarus. The Nintendo EAD department’s main title was The Legend of Zelda, and Nintendo R&D1’s main project was Metroid. Murasame Castle was built using the Zelda engine, and Kid Icarus was based off of the Metroid engine.

Just looking at Murasame Castle next to Zelda, the similarities are immediately apparent.

cOfqN10.jpg
CpG2mX1.jpg

The game was also scored by Koji Kondo, who did the music for The Legend of Zelda.

Nintendo of America figured Westerners wouldn’t be interested in a game based on feudal Japan so it never saw release outside of Japan. Had it been localized in 1986, there’s no doubt in my mind that the game would be regarded as a classic and that a ton of people would want Takamaru in Smash Bros.

People who aren’t familiar with the game deride Takamaru for being “just another swordsman,” but that isn’t the case. Not only are there no samurai-style characters in Smash Bros., but Takamaru uses shuriken, he throws fireballs, he can turn invisible, and he can even summon lightning.

Also, a fun fact: The Mysterious Murasame Castle was adapted into a live action TV drama in 1986.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal interest in Takamaru predates Nintendo Land, and I don't even think that game would factor into his inclusion.

Fiktion

Banned
I get why people say Takamaru, but what makes people think Shulk has a chance?

Monolith is a new and significant member of the Nintendo family and has never been represented before. I guess that's the case I would make.

It makes more sense if X is in fact a direct sequel to Xenoblade.

Anura

Anyone else want to see more gameplay? I don't mean like edited trailers but actual matches. I really want to see more of the games flow because that one beta mario and megaman match isn't going to cut it...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Anyone else want to see more gameplay? I don't mean like edited trailers but actual matches. I really want to see more of the games flow because that one beta mario and megaman match isn't going to cut it...
I think the consensus is that that we want to see more of anything and everything since we can't have the game yet...

I get why people say Takamaru, but what makes people think Shulk has a chance?

Like the others have said, new successful IP with a sequel on the horizon. Also didn't Sakurai tweet a picture of a "real" monado that added fuel to the fire?

Plus I think he's in the same standing to be a surprise secret character just like Ness in Smash 64 and Roy and Marth in Melee.

yes I'd like to see how the game speed is this time around

Berordn

I'd like it, but if it's just raw footage it's probably going to be unbalanced as hell and that's just going to spread a lot of misconception if it gets analyzed a lot.

So while I'd like it, I don't want to have to sift through the fallout.

Shun

I just want a video to confirm L-Canceling, directional air dodges, higher hit stun, and which controls will be supported with the game.

I want to be able to wavedash and play offensively again. Project M is nice, but I want official Smash to be fast.

EhoaVash

The only reason Lucario was in brawl was because of the stupid movie, such a lame pokemon, not even a legendary or anything.

He better not return. MewTwo, Pikachu, Jiggly ( only because she was in the original ), and pokemon trainer only deserve spot for smash.

also Lucario's megaform looks like crap

I just want a video to confirm L-Canceling, directional air dodges, higher hit stun, and which controls will be supported with the game.

I want to be able to wavedash and play offensively again. Project M is nice, but I want official Smash to be fast.
I wouldn't expect wavedashing to return, though I'd be weirded out if just about anything possible controller-wise isn't supported. Maybe even 3DS's as controllers for the Wii U version, given you already have SSB3DS happening?

L-cancelling is probably the only 'advanced' move I regularly used in Melee though, tbh I was weirded out Brawl got rid of it since I thought it was always a deliberate move.

The only reason Lucario was in brawl was because of the stupid movie, such a lame pokemon, not even a legendary or anything.

He better not return. MewTwo, Pikachu, Jiggly ( only because she was in the original ), and pokemon trainer only deserve spot for smash.

also Lucario's megaform looks like crap

I want to know how much salt was put into typing this post

If those mechanics get back in, hopefully they're more up front about it. They could have brand new tutorial video where the game teaches you how to do stuff.

Shun

I wouldn't expect wavedashing to return, though I'd be weirded out if just about anything possible controller-wise isn't supported. Maybe even 3DS's as controllers for the Wii U version, given you already have SSB3DS happening?

L-cancelling is probably the only 'advanced' move I regularly used in Melee though, tbh I was weirded out Brawl got rid of it since I thought it was always a deliberate move.

At least bring L-Canceling and hitstun back.

Brawl was just way too slow with the lack of hitstun and it's defensive gameplay.

Loco4Coco

I never understood why they made Lucario "floaty". It's part steel you think it'll have some weight to it. Did Sakurai ever explained why they did that?

Top Bottom