• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Moondrop

Banned
I get why people say Takamaru, but what makes people think Shulk has a chance?

What bothers me about the Shulk discussion is that I can think of four better Xenoblade characters off the top of my head (
Dunban, Riki, Melia, Fiora
), and two more that are less pathetic (
Reyn, Sharla
). Oh my bad, that's everyone.

Anura

I wouldn't expect wavedashing to return, though I'd be weirded out if just about anything possible controller-wise isn't supported. Maybe even 3DS's as controllers for the Wii U version, given you already have SSB3DS happening?

L-cancelling is probably the only 'advanced' move I regularly used in Melee though, tbh I was weirded out Brawl got rid of it since I thought it was always a deliberate move.

Sakurai should just have an on/off option for both of them if he is so afraid of over complicating it

speaking of floatiness, Captain Falcon and Fox, 2nd and 3rd in Brawl falling speeds, have roughly the same falling speed as Melee Ness, who is 15th, aka in the bottom half

yup

Berordn

Sakurai should just have an on/off option for both of them if he is so afraid of over complicating it

L-Cancelling ought to just be removed and have the reduced lag baked into the moves. It really serves no good purpose but to increase the gulf of skill.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You know if a Xenoblade character made it, all the other members could appear in a Final Smash.

NOW IS THE TIME! LET'S FINISH THIS WITH A CHAIN ATTACK!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Sakurai posted a pic of a Monado replica from Xenoblade on his twitter account, duh.
I would kill for the replica.
kAsVkGa.jpg

They should just have Monado-wielding Dunban.

Yes, I know that, canonically, using that thing was outright killing him, and that he can't use most of Shulk's Monado moves (unless there's a huge plot twist coming after Sword Valley that I'm not aware of), but it's not like Smash hasn't made up canon in the past (admittedly specific examples aren't coming to mind beyond basically inventing movesets wholesale for characters who've never fought on foot prior, like Fox or Captain Falcon). Plus, he'd probably be the oldest swordsman in the lineup by a good margin (Ganondorf basically being his only competition, assuming Ganondorf ever actually used his sword), and his Talent Art (Blossom Dance) would probably make more sense in Smash context than any of Shulk's future-seeing would.

Yes, I know that, canonically, using that thing was outright killing him, and that he can't use most of Shulk's Monado moves (unless there's a huge plot twist coming after Sword Valley that I'm not aware of), but it's not like Smash hasn't made up canon in the past (admittedly specific examples aren't coming to mind beyond basically inventing movesets wholesale for characters who've never fought on foot prior, like Fox or Captain Falcon). Plus, he'd probably be the oldest swordsman in the lineup by a good margin (Ganondorf basically being his only competition, assuming Ganondorf ever actually used his sword), and his Talent Art (Blossom Dance) would probably make more sense in Smash context than any of Shulk's future-seeing would.

Shulk players will be known for their extraordinary ability to read their opponents in competitive SSB4
:p

Masked Man

I said wow
Okay, I know the internet shouldn't surprise me anymore, but my friends are talking about the Ashley reveal and one of them keeps on linking to fanart of WaluigiXAshley.

Oh my god WHY INTERNETZ WHY.
Immediately shared this post with my brother and sister. So hilarious.

That would be so awesome to see. XD I loved the reactions to (Ridley) Melee's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA

Wow, that admittedly brought a tear to my eye. What a rush of nostalgia!

Outright killing him? So Add both characters. He can be pichu crossed with shulk.

I haven't played any Xenoblade, but if Shulk can do weird future-seeing stuff, I'd have to wager that the Final Smash would be similar to Shadow's Chaos Control, but with less slowdown and more focus placed on tutorial-style button prompts appearing above everyone but Shulk's head.

They wouldn't be button prompts, though: they'd be button inputs. It'd give Shulk an immediate and distinctive edge because he could tell if the opponents were trying to shield, grab, roll, special, etc.

I haven't played any Xenoblade, but if Shulk can do weird future-seeing stuff, I'd have to wager that the Final Smash would be similar to Shadow's Chaos Control, but with less slowdown and more focus placed on tutorial-style button prompts appearing above everyone but Shulk's head.

They wouldn't be button prompts, though: they'd be button inputs. It'd give Shulk an immediate and distinctive edge because he could tell if the opponents were trying to shield, grab, roll, special, etc.

that would actually be pretty useless
"Fox is shooting lasers? yes I can see that just fine game"

Beats

Anyone else want to see more gameplay? I don't mean like edited trailers but actual matches. I really want to see more of the games flow because that one beta mario and megaman match isn't going to cut it...

Yes, I'd like to see full 2-4 player matches with and without items. These screenshots and reveals are okay, but I really just want to see how the fights play out in their entirety. Unless Sakurai puts out full match videos himself, we'll probably have to wait till they let the press/public play the game or something to get any unedited footage. :\

Outright killing him?
Yeah. Most Homs (Xenoblade's word for "humans", I dunno) can't take the Monado for very long. Dunban's one of the few whose body could stand it for a while, but the opening of the game shows he's starting to reach his limit (about 50 seconds into the game's second cutscene), and reinforces that when he's forced to take it up again about five hours into the game to defend Colony 9 (in the cutscene where Shulk finally starts wielding it, Dunban's shown coughing up blood from the damage the Monado's doing to him). Shulk's apparently "special" in some fashion in that he can handle it without it slowly killing him, and in how it lets him see the future in addition to that.

That said, it's implied Dunban was wielding it quite well before the game's start, so I dunno, just claim it's a representation of him from that timeframe.

Caladrius

Shulk's apparently "special" in some fashion in that he can handle it without it slowly killing him, and in how it lets him see the future in addition to that.

That said, it's implied Dunban was wielding it quite well before the game's start, so I dunno, just claim it's a representation of him from that timeframe.

They do actually justify why Shulk can wield it.
He's chosen and partially inhabited by the soul of Bionis itself to do its will.

Ithil

The only reason Lucario was in brawl was because of the stupid movie, such a lame pokemon, not even a legendary or anything.

He better not return. MewTwo, Pikachu, Jiggly ( only because she was in the original ), and pokemon trainer only deserve spot for smash.

also Lucario's megaform looks like crap

ibgjzyd7m8zl2i9ckiq.gif

SmithnCo

The only reason Lucario was in brawl was because of the stupid movie, such a lame pokemon, not even a legendary or anything.

He better not return. MewTwo, Pikachu, Jiggly ( only because she was in the original ), and pokemon trainer only deserve spot for smash.

also Lucario's megaform looks like crap

He did well to represent a newer Pokemon, they pushed him hard and continue to push him in X/Y so I think he's definitely returning.

Jaeger

I liked Lucario, but I personally wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't return. Honestly, I don't think he will.

I have a good feeling my main mans Mewtwo will, though. And we will get a new Pokemon, who has yet to be in Brawl, too. Although I don't know who that will be. All conjecture, of course.

[/Pokemon-Talk Cycle]

late but that's cool Ashley is in the game. wasn't expecting her to be a playable character though

I played the song earlier too, I'm granted to hell D:

DaBoss

The only reason not to expect Lucario is because of Pokken and if TPCi feels that Lucario doesn't need to be in two fighting games. There literally is no other reason except maybe time constraints.

Drago

Lucario is still very popular to this day, he has an almost completely original move set, has a mega form to do whatever Sakurai might do with those things (if he does anything at all), and he even plays a part in the story of Pokémon X/Y.

I don't think he's going anywhere. He's still very relevant.

leroidys

I hope nobody from Xenoblade gets in. All the characters were annoying and the atrocious techno-islander character design thing they had going on would clash horribly. plzdonthurtmegaf.

SmithnCo

I think they can effectively treat Mewtwo as a new rep if they integrate the mega forms in. I'm curious to see what they do with the forms, I hope they're not just final smashes.

SmithnCo

Doesn't Gamefreak decide which Pokemon gets in? And wouldn't Gamefreak want a popular choice like Lucario back in?

Yeah, given the fact that he is still very relevant in X/Y I think they'll want him to return. He definitely has a fanbase.

Plus if he's a headliner for Pokken Fighters they'll have more cross-promotion there.

Mista Koo

I hope nobody from Xenoblade gets in. All the characters were annoying and the atrocious techno-islander character design thing they had going on would clash horribly. plzdonthurtmegaf.

I'm gonna kill you!

wait wrong game, that's from Awakening (<3 Henry's lines)

DaBoss

Doesn't Gamefreak decide which Pokemon gets in? And wouldn't Gamefreak want a popular choice like Lucario back in?
They probably discuss with Sakurai which Pokemon are popular and will probably limit the options. And I think TPCi and GF probably has a lot of say in how the Pokemon appear in the game.
Yeah, given the fact that he is still very relevant in X/Y I think they'll want him to return. He definitely has a fanbase.

Plus if he's a headliner for Pokken Fighters they'll have more cross-promotion there.
Ohhhh, didn't think of cross-promotion. Hope they consider that.
We aren't discussing about PSASBR here.

Man did those characters in the game clash. I wish Superbot had more resources, time, and money. :/

Vidiot

As far as pokemon go I just want Mewtwo back. Any pokemon beyond that I don't care.

Also I wanted to ask if anyone feels there are any "sure thing" unannounced new comers? So far we've gotten Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina. I didn't expect any of them to be playable and I surely wouldn't have called any of them a sure thing. I'm honestly not positive on anyone, but if I had to guess I feel Mewtwo returning, Little Mac joining, and a second Kid Icarus rep (likely Palutena) are the closest characters I feel safe saying will be playable. What does everyone else think?

-Horizon-

I'm gonna go and guess that Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, and Jigglypuff are returning. PT will have the same 3 Pokemon with him. Along with Pikachu, that is all for the Pokemon reps. Everything else will be related to Pokeball status.
Yep, I think Mewtwo will be an assist trophy.

Waluigi x Daisy is canon.

I didn't know Luigi was into that kind of thing.

SmithnCo

As far as pokemon go I just want Mewtwo back. Any pokemon beyond that I don't care.

Also I wanted to ask if anyone feels there are any "sure thing" unannounced new comers? So far we've gotten Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina. I didn't expect any of them to be playable and I surely wouldn't have called any of them a sure thing. I'm honestly not positive on anyone, but if I had to guess I feel Mewtwo returning, Little Mac joining, and a second Kid Icarus rep (likely Palutena) are the closest characters I feel safe saying will be playable. What does everyone else think?

I'm pretty confident about Little Mac, given the boxing stage and the fact that he hasn't really commented on it in detail besides the ropes.

Besides that I'd guess Mii, Takamaru, and Palutena are safe bets.

Top Bottom