• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Berordn

The Pyrosphere tease made it fairly obvious that Ridley would likely end up as a stage hazard.

If he was just a hazard why spend all this time teasing him and not showing him off? He also never explicitly said Ridley, even though the location would seem to hint it. If anything it just fans the flames for inclusion.

Fiktion

Banned
If he was just a hazard why spend all this time teasing him and not showing him off? He also never explicitly said Ridley, even though the location would seem to hint it. If anything it just fans the flames for inclusion.

There's a lot of things he's teased without actually showing off. This is Sakurai.

At face value that quote absolutely implied that Ridley is a stage hazard. An enemy from Samus' past, appearing in the Pyrosphere? There is literally no other character that could refer to except Ridley. But again, this is Sakurai, so that itself could easily be a troll.

leroidys

I'm pretty sure that they are not safest predictions since we really have hard time to read Sakurai's mind. He can be very humble when it come to his work. It took three games to get all three Kirby characters in the game.

I would love to have Takamaru and Palutena, but I'm concerned about their inclusion.

What do you think the safest bet unannounced characters are?

I could live with Diddy getting cut.

My pipe dream characters are a Metroid Prime: Hunters rep and Skyward Sword-styled Impa.

EDIT: I doubt Ridley will get character treatment considering the Prime canon alone has at least 9 potential reps with more humanoid silhouettes that would be better suited for a fighter. Kanden, Weavel, Noxus, Spire, Trace, Sylux, Ghor, Gandrayda, and Rundas.

Berordn

At face value that quote absolutely implied that Ridley is a stage hazard. But again, this is Sakurai, so that itself could easily be a troll.

At face value it just teases Ridley's presences somewhere, it doesn't say anything about when or where. He might not show up at all.

He used the term "Samus' trauma" on the original Japanese Miiverse post, which is Ridley's official nickname in Japan.

It might've not directly meant a stage hazard. If Ridley is playable, he too can show up on that stage at any moment.
Or perhaps he used that term specifically because it also is used for Ridley, but can also mean something else.

I'm very sure that Sakurai is aware of Ridley's popularity and importance to the series he belongs to.

Azure J

Question? Wishy characters or well-deserving characters?

A little of both. Everyone's pretty much felt good about Kid Icarus getting a newbie, Fire Emblem Awakening making a good case for a new character/Sakurai trying to bring everyone from Brawl (at least) back/Fire Emblem riding an even bigger popularity wave now than before thanks to Awakening, and Takamaru because of Sakurai's comments from as far back as Melee/the new and sudden introduction of Mysterious Murasame Castle elements in recent games/a potential Virtual Console reintroduction if that Australian patent means anything.

To not get Palutena would suck since she's the other half of the best duo Nintendo's "created" in a long time. To not have Takamaru would suck because of what he'd bring to the roster as a character and bit of under utilized Nintendo history. Anna's really the weakest of my current main trio
when I stop believing in Mike anyway
but I like the idea of her over everyone else in Awakening currently just because she's another legacy character for the franchise and would be nice to have as a permanent "second face" for FE in Smash. That's all on shaky "wish" territory though since everyone has different ideas on a third FE member from Awakening and we're going on what we feel versus something stronger.

Berordn

He used the term "Samus' trauma" on the original Japanese Miiverse post, which is Ridley's official nickname in Japan.

Which is about as subtle as "an enemy from Samus's past" in the Pyrosphere anyway. If he's playable, he could show up at any moment. If he's not playable, the arena looks like he's been having some fun in it regardless of if he's a hazard or not. If he's a boss, you'd probably be fighting him there.

Nothing he's said has dismissed or really even bolstered the possibility of Ridley appearing.

Caladrius

Nothing he's said has dismissed or really even bolstered the possibility of Ridley appearing.

I'd also like to point out that Toon Link (who also has multiple incarnations) is also a stage element.
We all know how static and consistent Ridley's design and physique are. It would be horrendously confusing.
If you have 20/200 vision.
250px-Ridley_zerom.jpg
147px-SM_Ridley.jpg
200px-Ridleychibi.png
250px-Meta_Ridley_MP3.png
Ridley35.PNG
MetaRidley.png

I'd also like to point out that Toon Link (who also has multiple incarnations) is also a stage element. And we all know how static and consistent Ridley's design and physique are.

You know, that is probably the most compelling argument against the Pyrosphere argument there is.
Perhaps the stage hazard Ridley is Meta or Mecha Ridley, or Other M Ridley, and we'll get regular Ridley as playable (if we do get him).

Fiktion

Banned
You know, that is probably the most compelling argument against the Pyrosphere argument there is.
Perhaps the stage hazard Ridley is Meta or Mecha Ridley, or Other M Ridley, and we'll get regular Ridley as playable (if we do get him).

Other M Ridley is explicitly a clone of Super Metroid Ridley, so it's possible.

If he weren't too big, that is. lol.

DaBoss

Thinking about it, Dixie would be really cool in terms of how her moves can potentially animate. I came up with something that has almost all moves using her hair.

Dixie Movset
Neutral Special - Bubblegum Gun
Up-Special - Hair Helicopter
Down-Special - Use her hair to pound the ground kinda like DK
Side-Special - Something like Pit's Brawl Side-Special (hyahyahyahyah thing) with her hair

Grab - Use hair to grab someone; can grab ledges

Up-Smash - Whip hair in a semi-circular motion upwards
Side-Smash - Whip hair side ways
Down-Smash - Hair sweeps the ground on both sides as she spins (pretty much like any other character's Down-Smash)

Neutral-Air - Something like Sonic's Neutral-Air where he spins in the air
Side-Air - Whip hair forward
Back-Air - Whip hair backward
Up-Air - Whip hair upward
Down-Air - Whip hair downward for a meteor smash

Hiltz

How about Final Smashes.Do you think they will stay the same or will they change them for certain characters?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few of them change, but we know Samus has the same one from Smash Bros. Brawl, so others will likely keep the old ones they had too.

Masked Man

I said wow
The characters in KI: Uprising are so vibrant and wonderful that I would gladly welcome two or three new characters from that universe because they're just that fun. I was really hoping for Viridi, but it sounds like she's been relegated to background noise in the KI stage, so I'm happy to settle with Palutena. :)

Yeah, he said that "Samus' trauma [Ridley] may appear as well...", but he phrased it such that it was unclear whether he would appear as part of the stage or as a character. (The possibility also exists that Ridley might not show up at all.) Nevertheless, Sakurai knows how to get the fans going.

Azure J

The characters in KI: Uprising are so vibrant and wonderful that I would gladly welcome two or three new characters from that universe because they're just that fun. I was really hoping for Viridi, but it sounds like she's been relegated to background noise in the KI stage, so I'm happy to settle with Palutena. :)

The only real criticism I can leverage against Uprising's cast is really in how much they diminished Medusa's character for the sake of building up Hades. I'm not a big fan of it even if Hades is hilarious. It's also another reason why whenever people talked about KI getting 2 more reps I wanted Medusa in over everyone else after Palutena. You get the original trio and Medusa has a "second chance" to get Uprising tier characterization.

Imagine if she was a spiteful actress and would constantly have "codecs" where she'd just rag of other Kid Icarus characters because she was bitter about how she didn't get any good lines/scenes in Uprising?

I really feel blatantly hinting at a newcomer like that is so unlike Sakurai that I really, really doubt he's playable.

Honestly, at this rate, I really have no idea what to think about Sakurai. On one hand, I kind of agree with what you say, but on the other hand, I'm sure he is well aware of the popularity of the character, so an ambiguous statement like that can be taken either way, really.
He loves to throw curveballs - when the Wii Fit Trainer footage was first shown after the E3 Direct, the first comment was "You didn't see that coming, huh?".

I'm pretty much banking on this anyway.

though ridley's got a much better chance than anyone from KI:U
Palutena has been in 3 games not just Uprising and much like Legend of Zelda, Palutena is in the name of the series in Japan. I'm not sure why people are so skeptical I'd say she's one of the sure fire bets.

Berordn

you are joking right

Dead serious, but you're not going to see any of them playable anyway~

Palutena has been in 3 games not just Uprising and much like Legend of Zelda, Palutena is in the name of the series in Japan. I'm not sure why people are so skeptical I'd say she's one of the sure fire bets.

Palutena wasn't much of a character before Uprising (just like everyone else from KI). She's not really much of a character after, either.

I'd also like to point out that Toon Link (who also has multiple incarnations) is also a stage element.
We all know how static and consistent Ridley's design and physique are. It would be horrendously confusing.

How could you forget the best one?
Metroid_12.jpg

Azure J

The skepticism only comes from super paranoia or people that feel that Sakurai would reign in nepotism for the sake of some moral code he has. Yet even after saying this, I hesitate from ever making absolute calls about a Smash roster unless you're one of the four big Mario characters (with Rosalina potentially being a permanent fixture too) or a Smash 64 veteran.

Edit: Furthermore, I think people kinda forget the EXTENSIVE amount of shit Nintendo/Sora got out there to promote Palutena (as well as Pit/the Kid Icarus franchise).

Vidiot

Dead serious, but you're not going to see any of them playable anyway~

Palutena wasn't much of a character before Uprising (just like everyone else from KI). She's not really much of a character after, either.

I'd say in that one game she's shown more character then the cast of the Legend of Zelda over the entire Zelda game series. And I'm a huge Zelda fan boy.

The skepticism only comes from super paranoia or people that feel that Sakurai would reign in nepotism for the sake of some moral code he has. Yet even after saying this, I hesitate from ever making absolute calls about a Smash roster unless you're one of the four big Mario characters (with Rosalina potentially being a permanent fixture too) or a Smash 64 veteran.

Edit: Furthermore, I think people kinda forget the EXTENSIVE amount of shit Nintendo/Sora got out there to promote Palutena (as well as Pit/the Kid Icarus franchise).

welp, Zelda/Marth/Ganondorf not safe for SSB5

cute ridley is only acceptable possibility. Any others shouldn't even be considered. /s

Top Bottom