• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

And down smash. And neutral air. And back air. And grab range. And Up B. And Side B. And neutral B. And down B. And forward A. And crouching A...

Really, the only thing that I was ever "eh" about in his entire moveset was his forward smash just because up and down smashes felt a lot more ridiculous even uncharged.

I slightly prefer Ness since I've been maining him for so long, but I always love interchanging between the two. Lucas really does have lovely smashes.

Aside from the grab release lag, was there anything else holding Lucas back in the competitive scene? I'm not familiar at all with it.

Azure J

I slightly prefer Ness since I've been maining him for so long, but I always love interchanging between the two. Lucas really does have lovely smashes.

Aside from the grab release lag, was there anything else holding Lucas back in the competitive scene? I'm not familiar at all with it.

Well the easiest answer is that he wasn't Metaknight. :p

Other than that, I imagine the slowish start up he had on things must have been hard to work around.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Wrestling rings usually only have three ropes, and American/Mexican wrestling rings usually have three padded turnbuckles. Nintendo's Pro Wrestling game even has the three rope standard. The stage in Smash for isn't a wrestling ring.

Ryce

Wrestling rings usually only have three ropes, and American/Mexican wrestling rings usually have three padded turnbuckles. Nintendo's Pro Wrestling game even has the three rope standard. The stage in Smash for isn't a wrestling ring.
Who are you responding to?

Jezan

Some of these reactions are just damn horrible. Why the fuck are all of these people expecting SUPPORT CHARACTERS to be playable? These characters are perfect for assists yet they still insist on whining? It's like they want a high class mugen game or something.
People want to play as their favorite characters. Even if those characters only had 1 second screen time, they have fans.

MisterHero

rules

tumblr_l7grnftrdc1qb9z4bl3.jpg

fuck them ;P

Jezan

Falco and Wolf are both far more memorable characters than Ashley and in general are better known. They're also clones and were easily put into the game. I just don't see what specifically about Ashley would make her stand out enough in her game to be included in smash brothers. I wouldn't really care but there are better options imo.
I'm pretty sure that using Fox's animation for Falco and Wolf made it so easy for the team. Wait no, they share like 1 or 2 animations (with different properties) at most (Zelda and Peach share more animations than Fox, Falco and Wolf).

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Outside of one or two people, I don't remember anyone thinking it was a wrestling ring, though.

You're right, it has only been mentioned a couple of times in this thread. But it has been brought up a lot overall. I'm just sweeping that specific claim into the dustbin.

Ryce

You're right, it has only been mentioned a couple of times in this thread. But it has been brought up a lot overall. I'm just sweeping that specific claim into the dustbin.
Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, it's definitely a boxing ring. There's no question about that. I just don't necessarily see why that matters, since stages don't always point to characters and vice versa. Even if the boxing ring belongs to Punch-Out!!, we won't be able to infer that Little Mac is playable until he's actually confirmed.

I don't know if you followed the Brawl hype, but half of the Internet was convinced Tom Nook would be playable after the Smashville stage (and Animal Crossing leaf icon) was confirmed.

I'M FINISHED!

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, it's definitely a boxing ring. There's no question about that. I just don't necessarily see why that matters, since stages don't always point to characters and vice versa. Even if the boxing ring belongs to Punch-Out!!, we won't be able to infer that Little Mac is playable until he's actually confirmed.

I don't know if you followed the Brawl hype, but half of the Internet was convinced Tom Nook would be playable after the Smashville stage (and Animal Crossing leaf icon) was confirmed.

It is definitely a boxing ring, and it definitely shares a lot of similarities with Punch-Out!! Wii. It could mean there is a Punch-Out!! stage with no playable rep, but why? A ring in and of itself isn't that interesting, the gameplay ideas introduced (springing off ropes) isn't that spectacular, and there are probably thousands of more exciting Nintendo based locations to choose from. Why go through all the trouble?

I did follow the Brawl hype, and I think that overall the Nook argument is the best argument that can be made, because ignoring all of the Punch-Out!! details in the ring stage is silly at this point. It is a Punch-Out!! stage, but again, you're right, that alone doesn't guarantee a playable rep. But I do remember one difference, I remember Sakurai stating that Animal Crossing characters wouldn't work in a Smash game sometime before or during the development of Brawl. That coupled with Sakurai being very coy about the stage itself leads me to believe there is a Punch-Out!! rep.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It is definitely a boxing ring, and it definitely shares a lot of similarities with Punch-Out!! Wii. It could mean there is a Punch-Out!! stage with no playable rep, but why? A ring in and of itself isn't that interesting, the gameplay ideas introduced (springing off ropes) isn't that spectacular, and there are probably thousands of more exciting Nintendo based locations to choose from. Why go through all the trouble?

I did follow the Brawl hype, and I think that overall the Nook argument is the best argument that can be made, because ignoring all of the Punch-Out!! details in the ring stage is silly at this point. It is a Punch-Out!! stage, but again, you're right, that alone doesn't guarantee a playable rep. But I do remember one difference, I remember Sakurai stating that Animal Crossing characters wouldn't work in a Smash game sometime before or during the development of Brawl. That coupled with Sakurai being very coy about the stage itself leads me to believe there is a Punch-Out!! rep.

Yep, I agreed with you there.

Ryce

But I do remember one difference, I remember Sakurai stating that Animal Crossing characters wouldn't work in a Smash game sometime before or during the development of Brawl.
I don't think he said that until the Iwata Asks that went up to coincide with the Japanese release of the game, but I could be wrong.

I'M FINISHED!

I don't think he said that until the Iwata Asks that went up to coincide with the Japanese release of the game, but I could be wrong.

I remember it being said before the release of Brawl. Maybe my memory is off...

Searching for old Smash articles is a chore now, everything is buried under Smash for stuff.

Mista Koo

As long as it isn't that godawful redesign, sure.
They did use the old design in this:

That is my highly preferred version. It's same version that are in Mario Kart GX. It's obvious that they knew that version would work with Mario very well. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai would take a note of that.
The latest arcade Mario Kart has his new design.

Honestly, Pac-Man's redesign isn't that bad:

wsQA5hi.png

As long as he doesn't have teeth, I'm good.
They removed the teeth in this:

rekameohs

Banned
The point stands that Sakurai thought that a fighter based off the Animal Crossing series would be hard to make, whereas that would obviously be no problem with Punch-Out.

Berordn

It still stands to reason that there might be more going on in the stage than we can see in daily shots, like various opponents from the series or Mac himself popping in. We still haven't even see the lava rise in Pyrosphere, and it took us a few months to see how Yellow Devil interacted with Mega Man's stage at all.

Basically, it's too early to say.

I just wonder why nothing has been said either way about the arena stage. If it's because Sakurai doesn't want to tip his hand about Little Mac being in the game, why show the stage at all? If it's supposed to be an original stage, why not just say so so there'd be no confusion? Sakurai must surely know in the context of a Nintendo all-stars game, a boxing ring carries a certain connotation with it

I'M FINISHED!

It still stands to reason that there might be more going on in the stage than we can see in daily shots, like various opponents from the series or Mac himself popping in. We still haven't even see the lava rise in Pyrosphere, and it took us a few months to see how Yellow Devil interacted with Mega Man's stage at all.

Basically, it's too early to say.

That's fine, there are still unknown factors. I'm just trying to shift the debate from "Is it a Punch-Out!! stage?" to "Does a Punch-Out!! stage mean there will be a playable rep?".

Masked Man

I said wow
Melee introduced Game & Watch, Ice Climbers and Fire Emblem to Smash (3).
Brawl introduced Pikmin, Wario, ROB, Kid Icarus, Metal Gear and Sonic (6).
U/3DS has introduced Animal Crossing, Wii Fit and Mega Man so far (3).

I feel that we'll only get 3 new franchises with a playable character. I know there's no precedent (unless you want to believe that we'll get 9 new franchises to make a pattern) but 6 new franchises sounds about right. Not easy to guess though.

Fwiw, the original leak that we got around E3 introduced six new franchises: Animal Crossing, Mega Man, Wii Fit, Punch-Out!!, Pac-Man, Miis / Wii ___.

Lucas has a really lovely up smash.

Yes! It's an extremely satisfying attack to land, and it's also just visually wonderful. PK Love <3

Well the easiest answer is that he wasn't Metaknight. :p

Other than that, I imagine the slowish start up he had on things must have been hard to work around.

He also is susceptible to infinite chaingrabbing by a number of characters due to weird knockback properties and awkward recovery times. Hopefully that gets adjusted this time around...

I'M FINISHED!

Terrible Crystal Ball Readings: The ring stage in Smash for is actually a wedding ring.

I'M FINISHED!

The whole game is a veiled proposal for marriage by Sakurai
and the person he is proposing to will be revealed as the final unlockable character in the game

Smash my heart.

leroidys

Sakurai made the comment about villager in the June 2008 NP, which was after the game was released.

tumblr_mzhsx8Rg7p1qhbar8o1_500.gif

Assists updated.

Is anyone using Skull Kid? I'd totally love to use Skull Kid. :)
I bet someone is already using Skull Kid, huh? :(

I think I'm in the same boat as most people that the next character reveal will probably be Wario on the 21st. That's a guess I'm willing to make as well!

EDIT: Just did some research, nobody is using it, from what I can see. :)

I thought most people were expecting the Cap for the 21st and Wario for MK8?

21st being the anniversary of Smash Brothers, right? Yeah I can see them revealing Captain Falcon for that. Maybe even Ness?

Am I remembering correctly C. Falcon was kept as a secret character on the Dojo?

I'M FINISHED!

Sakurai made the comment about villager in the June 2008 NP, which was after the game was released.

Even if that is the correct date the specifics mentioned in his reasoning don't really apply to Punch-Out!!. Any link, btw?

Berordn

21st being the anniversary of Smash Brothers, right? Yeah I can see them revealing Captain Falcon for that. Maybe even Ness?

Am I remembering correctly C. Falcon was kept as a secret character on the Dojo?

He was a secret character in the Dojo because he was a secret character in the game, they only revealed 3rd party unlockable characters for Brawl.

But it's not like we can accurately predict something like a celebration for Smash's anniversary. It could be a character or it could just be another shot of battlefield.

leroidys

Even if that is the correct date the specifics mentioned in his reasoning don't really apply to Punch-Out!!. Any link, btw?

Looks like it was actually the May issue (still well after the games japanese release though).

I don't have a link as NP articles aren't online, but here's some people talking about it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-/55775695

http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php/topic/171075-so-i-read-the-sakurai-interview-in-nintendo-power/

Why are you trying to directly compare villager and LM? You're going after a hundred cherrypicked binary comparisons to support your pre-conceived viewpoint. It would be better to look at the whole picture, and stop trying to cram your conclusions down everyone's throat.

Little Mac well could be in the game, and the ring could end up being an explicitly punch-out stage, but acting as if it's a foregone conclusion is not yet warranted.

Axiology

Imagine the reaction if Ridley does get deconfirmed.

You guys thought Ashley was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet.

I'd like to think that after 15 years of no Ridley people would have gotten used to the disappointment.

Of course, you've got people here arguing whether or not Ashley is a more important character than Wolf, so who knows what's gonna happen ;)

R0ckman

Looks like it was actually the May issue (still well after the games japanese release though).

I don't have a link as NP articles aren't online, but here's some people talking about it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-/55775695

http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php/topic/171075-so-i-read-the-sakurai-interview-in-nintendo-power/

Why are you trying to directly compare villager and LM? You're going after a hundred cherrypicked binary comparisons to support your pre-conceived viewpoint. It would be better to look at the whole picture, and stop trying to cram your conclusions down everyone's throat.

Little Mac well could be in the game, and the ring could end up being an explicitly punch-out stage, but acting as if it's a foregone conclusion is not yet warranted.

They can't be. The Punch-Out stage doesn't do justice like an animal crossing stage does. A punch-out stage with no character doesn't make sense. Its not even showing any Punch-Out characters in it.

Top Bottom