• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Because obviously the best models to use as a point of reference for Palutena's ornate highly detailed design is WFT & Villager.

3189859+_bd94033ce0ff22df27f78b4fb70588e0.jpg

Man that went over your head.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If sakurai didn't do anything for the anniversary of smash bros, what makes you think sakurai would do anything for that?

Because he's unpredictable. And he showed off Zelda in the ALBW release for Japan. And Dedede for Triple Deluxe, again for Japan.

SmithnCo

Two things:

Her staff appears to be from Brawl? Her Uprising staff is noticeably longer right?

Why would the leaker only take pics of the top screen, no action shots?

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
It is supposed to confirm that there are trees in smash brothers.

Villager confirmed...?

That picture (that I assume was made to debunk the leak?) actually also aids the theory that both Palutena and Mario are on the rightmost platform. It all adds up very nicely.

J-Tier

When they show new characters on 3DS, they always have idle shots. NEVER attacking.

So this isn't weird at all.
As mentioned earlier, this is a leaker, not Nintendo. It is weird. Regardless, I'm willing to put aside my usual a cynicism and hope that this is legit.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Someone made the statement at smashboards

Apparently some people are saying it's made by the Project M animators and stacksmash modder, Pik.
They say the cleavage part is hinting that the Palutena model makes it fake, can someone point it out. Not very good at the visuals.

DaBoss

That picture (that I assume was made to debunk the leak?) actually also aids the theory that both Palutena and Mario are on the rightmost platform. It all adds up very nicely.
No it doesn't.

That would mean the angle is swiveled to the right like it is on that TL & Link shot and we would be able to see Mario's whole face like Toon Link, not see Palutena's face clearly like Link's, and see the tree behind Mario, which Toon Link is blocking and is at the edge of the platform.

Though I'm not even sure what that pic proves lol.

Caladrius

Two things:

Her staff appears to be from Brawl? Her Uprising staff is noticeably longer right?

Why would the leaker only take pics of the top screen, no action shots?

This is what bugs me the most. They had to have implemented some kind of usable screenshot tool.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm skeptical...

But then again we got a lot of authentic leaks with Pokemon XY, so I'm a little more accepting that something like this could leak.

I just hope we get confirmation on its legitimacy sooner than later.

It seems this daily pic/info is leading towards less gimping. Combining that with info like Link getting a Meteor Smash and we might be seeing better off-ledge games.

Gimping in 64 is incredibly frustrating and low level crap, but it's extremely effective so most people edge hog after gimps rather easily. In Smash 4, it seems edge hogging will be less of a tactic since air time is being calculated into edge grabs, so players won't be able to jump off and grab the ledge, restricting the other player from grabbing it because their invincibility frames will be much shorter. As a result, this could lead to a better off-ledge game instead of just holding the ledge from someone, although that was less of a problem in Brawl anyway because of how easy it was combined with the terrible air game.

I love spiking people, so anything that brings us back to that over Brawl's ease of grabbing the ledge and extra floatiness is a plus.

Ryce

If those Palutena screens are fake, then they're the best fakes I've ever seen in my 15 years of following Smash Bros.

Pretty sure every official screenshot also lacks a UI.

Yeah but those are Press images, they should not have a UI. I've seen some people argue that the pictures are fake because there is no UI and looks like a stages PR image.

They could be screenshots, yes, and lack of UI has multiple explanations.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah but those are Press images, they should not have a UI. I've seen some people argue that the pictures are fake because there is no UI and looks like a stages PR image.

They could be screenshots, yes, and lack of UI has multiple explanations.

It depends really. We haven't really seen much gameplay of the 3DS version and in any instance only ever did we see footage of the top screen. So I dunno if they moved all the battle data to the bottom screen.

Ryce

Assuming the pictures are real, whoever took them had to have paused the game to zoom in and change the angle, so obviously the HUD isn't going to be visible.

EDIT: Looking over the screens again, Palutena looks more influenced by her Uprising art than her actual Uprising model. Why would someone go to such lengths to fake a character who was probably getting in anyway?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lack of evidence to suggest it's a fake, so I say legit.

I would hate to see people being disappointed by fake picture and Palutena didn't even make in the game as playable character at same time because people put their hope on the picture that can't even explained.

SmithnCo

Why would someone go to such lengths to fake a character who was probably getting in anyway?

Because Smash fans can be insane and the character speculation for this franchise is always an event.

The way I see it, it's a well done model, and the other elements like Mario and the stage are well staged. But it has the same hallmark as other fake leaks like the badly framed offscreen shot, simple poses, and not really showing anything new besides the character that might validate the leak.

SuperSah

Banned
I would hate to see people being disappointed by fake picture and Palutena didn't even make in the game as playable character at same time because people put their hope on the picture that can't even explained.

I'm fooling.

I will wait for official word. No doubt she'll be playable anyway.

Lack of evidence to suggest it's a fake, so I say legit.

I don't want to say legit in case in case it gets my hopes up, but it's very doubtful that is it fake.

She's one of my top characters I want as a newcomer, so this is very exciting (and triggering skepticism naturally). After all this could be a leak, but the leaker wants to make it seem like she's playable when she's not, or something :(

But I'm a little bit of a believer, just a believer that's suspicious of someone coming forward two weeks from now saying it's fake.

IF this is legit, she looks awesome :)

edit: If this is also legit, it would make a bit more sense for the 3DS one to leak, because after all it is portable.

Ryce

OgtcaHi.png

The models and textures are completely distinct from each other. I've just never seen a fake this convincing before — they always use existing assets and people are able to disprove them within hours. This is literally a brand new Palutena model.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Honestly the biggest clue pointing one way or the other could be the inclusion of Mario. If no one is able to find a released 3DS screenshot or vid with that exact frame/pose (and if that Mario model is identical to 3DS Smash Mario)... this could be legit.

Who knows.. either way, pretty fun occurrence to pass the time waiting for the next big reveal :)

SuperSah

Banned
OgtcaHi.png

The models and textures are completely distinct from each other. I've just never seen a fake this convincing before — they always use existing assets and people are able to disprove them within hours. This is literally a brand new Palutena model.

Wow. Difference is night and day.

BigEvilTurtle's frame comparison confirms that Mario is totally new, alongside my previous comparison.

jph139

Pretty sure the leak's fake, personally. Can't specifically pinpoint why, but there's a lot of small bits that are adding up (the Developer Direct Mario, the weird position of the background stuff, the staff not looking exactly right).

It's well done for sure but I'm still saying no. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Top Bottom