• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Great, guys. You know how much Sakurai hates leaks. If she was ever gonna be playable, kiss it goodbye now. He's gonna turn her into an assist trophy just to spite this whole thing.

pulga

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised it Sakurai says "fuck it" and decides to reveal it tonight

he has to know its out

I BELIEVE

Kouichi

Oh my goodness, I woke up to a Palutena leak? What a way to start the day. I want to be skeptical, but too many things point to it being real.

Also, the changes detailed in the new screenshot are pretty awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only other time off the top of my head:
screen-10.jpg

I notice the gradation in this screen is similar to that of the Palutena screen. Just a shame I'm at work so I can't play with Photoshop to compare. You've got the same white at the top and the darkest point in the top right corner.

SuperSah

Banned
I notice the gradation in this screen is similar to that of the Palutena screen. Just a shame I'm at work so I can't play with Photoshop to compare. You've got the same white at the top and the darkest point in the top right corner.

Not the spike though.

Hm. Not sure what to think about the Palutena pic. If the thing about her being an assist trophy is true, then I want it to be fake. But, I mean, it looks pretty convincing.

If she was just an assist trophy, though, it seems like a bit of a strange thing to leak above all other things. But yeah, I guess I'll just withhold an opinion on it for now.

Gartooth

Given the source of the leak, I'd be more inclined to believe that this is just a (well made) hoax. It'd be pretty surprising if someone actually managed to get their hands on and take photos of Smash 3DS, and if they did then why did they stop at Palutena? We can't prove that it is fake, but logically it doesn't make sense to me for it to be legit.

Man. If that Palutena leak is fake, it's a REALLY GOOD fake.

I don't know, something is telling me this could be the real deal.

I'm not good at spotting good 'shops/fakes just by looking at them, though, so I don't really know. But I just feel like this could be a genuine leak... and if so, awesome! I've been hoping Palutena would make it onto the roster.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sakurai updated the ledge mechanic which is shocking but I'm glad that he is seriously reconsidering to adjust the system to make it better, I hope. Hopefully the changes would benefit the pace of battles rather than putting us in disadvantage.

I'm very skeptic. Look at shadow of Mario's hand since something about the shadow that seem to be off to me. Also the way that Palutena held the staff was weird. It seem that Palutena isn't fully holding the staff.

To someone who just mentioned that Palutena is assist trophy. Did 4chan said that she's Assist Trophy because I don't see any such a thing in this thread?

Revven

Also, the changes detailed in the new screenshot are pretty awesome.

The details are still pretty obscure, though. It could sound like he's trying to curtail stalling on the ledge (or planking) -- or Sakurai is removing edgehogging, which would be a huge blow to edgeguarding (not to mention it would also help people get back to the stage... even moreso than in Brawl).

Sigh, I wish it wasn't so vague. It sounds promising but I'm not too hopeful.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Going with fake for no real reason other than cynicism, and the disbelief that any character for Smash would be leaked in screenshot form, an odd event in general for any Nintendo game, let alone a high priority one.

That being said, as a fake it is exceptionally good. The model has numerous textural and polygonal differences from any existing Palutena model, though is obviously based on her Uprising look. Not only has she been given a slight redesign, but she's also been remodelled, and the model itself is economically believable for 3DS hardware (see: curved 2D layer for the belt/strap with the dangling ornaments, and the overall poly count). They've even gone as far to render her with poly edge aliasing perfect for a native 3DS resolution, meaning the faked image was produced from 3D content rendered at the 3DS resolution.

So yeah, if fake, props to whoever did it as they know their details.

SuperSah

Banned
Find it odd that an assist would need an outline.

Yup. Source of the Assist Trophy?

I'm very skeptic. Look at shadow of Mario's hand since something about the shadow that seem to be off to me. Also the way that Palutena held the staff was weird. It seem that Palutena isn't fully holding the staff.

To someone who just mentioned that Palutena is assist trophy. Did 4chan said that she's Assist Trophy because I don't see any such a thing in this thread?

Nah, Sakurai said the outlines can be pale to help with transparency. The shadow effect on the outline is legit.

Apparently there's some confusion about whether or not the original image poster mentioned them being an assist trophy. Seems like it could've been something someone else said that got falsely interpreted.

I believe the "leaker" simply dropped the photos without saying anything and left. But this is just what I hear, the original thread is gone by now. So yeah, apologies for adding fuel to that.

Anteo

I just found out about the edge changes.

Air time affecting the invicibility?

It only makes sense too me if its like if you inmediatly make it to the edge (trying to edge-hog/let go and regrab) the invulnerability time will be much lower (halved or less). So regrabing the edge is harder, and edgehogging too.

On the other hand, I dont like the idea that the invulnerability is higher if the air time is longer, so hopefully they make it like a curve, if you take too much time to recover (coming from very far away, stalling with the extra jumps) your have less invul too.

Finally I hope they make "tiers" of invulnerability, so you either get 1/4, 1/2, 2/3 of the invulnerability time making it easy to know which one you are getting and for how long you can be at the ledge before it runs out.

DaBoss

Anyone want to explain where they are standing on this pic?
Compare it to this:
daily-2013-06-17.jpg

Open it in a new tab or whatever and zoom in. There is no place like that they can be standing in that have the trees like that.

Maybe there is a camera angle that can make the shot look like the trees behind, but that would require it to not be profile shots.

And one does not need to rip out models using an image, they can use videos: http://youtu.be/vQD1yJinzeQ?t=44s

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Apparently there's some confusion about whether or not the original image poster mentioned them being an assist trophy. Seems like it could've been something someone else said that got falsely interpreted.

I believe the "leaker" simply dropped the photos without saying anything and left. But this is just what I hear, the original thread is gone by now. So yeah, apologies for adding fuel to that.

I was about to post same thing that I posted in other thread.

Apparently, people got confused with 4chan. Someone pointed it out that It wasn't leaker who claimed that Palutena being assist trophy, so I guess it was someone else that were being sarcasm that she's an assist trophy.

I'm still on side of picture being fake.

Anyone want to explain where they are standing on this pic?

Compare it to this:
daily-2013-06-17.jpg

Open it in a new tab or whatever and zoom in. There is no place like that they can be standing in that have the trees like that.

Good catch!

Berordn

daily-2013-06-17.jpg

Maybe there is a camera angle that can make the shot look like the trees behind, but that would require it to not be profile shots.

And one does not need to rip out models using an image, they can use videos: http://youtu.be/vQD1yJinzeQ?t=44s

Those trees don't look like the ones in Battlefield at all, so it might be from a different stage.

Has anyone pointed out that an off-screen shot has no gameplay, is super zoomed-in, and no HUD

I mean, that makes sense for Sakurai's photo mode shots, but why one snapped quickly?

DaBoss

Those trees don't look like the ones in Battlefield at all, so it might be from a different stage.
There is the pillars in the background. There are trees. There are clouds. It looks like Battlefield, and no other 3DS stage has these things (that have been revealed so far).
Rightmost panel. The camera is angled slightly up and to the left.
But Mario and Palutena don't look like there is an angle change in the camera, and what you're saying would make it show Palutena's back.

And wouldn't it be odd for a leaker to just use a random camera angle when taking the shot?

DaBoss

Now for pic #2:
Let's look at these (very nice) pics of Battlefield at night (open them in a new tab/window and zoom up):
peach-screen-9.jpg
zelda-screen-10.jpg

pit-screen-10.jpg
luigi-screen-10.jpg

All of those official Battlefield shots have a particle-y like effect for the sky, but the leaked pic does not have it for the top part, yet it does for the bottom part, which is quite odd. The top part reminds me more of the Galaxy stage, while the bottom part looks like Battlefield 3DS.

Also, look at the bottom of the background in the second pic. Why is it suddenly white and bright?

Not really trying to disprove it with the following points, but what's up with her face and the way she is holding her staff?

Riki

Now for pic #2:

Let's look at these (very nice) pics of Battlefield at night (open them in a new tab/window and zoom up):
peach-screen-9.jpg
zelda-screen-10.jpg

pit-screen-10.jpg
luigi-screen-10.jpg

All of those official Battlefield shots have a particle-y like effect for the sky, but the leaked pic does not have it for the top part, yet it does for the bottom part, which is quite odd. The top part reminds me more of the Galaxy stage, while the bottom part looks like Battlefield 3DS.

Also, look at the bottom of the background in the second pic. Why is it suddenly white and bright?

Not really trying to disprove it with the following points, but what's up with her face and the way she is holding her staff?
Could all be explained by the sun coming up in the background.

But Mario and Palutena don't look like there is an angle change in the camera, and what you're saying would make it show Palutena's back.

And wouldn't it be odd for a leaker to just use a random camera angle when taking the shot?

1. I'm not particularly saying the characters are angled to the right. I'm saying the backdrop is.

If you go to the segment where it shows Bowser on top of the rightmost platform you'll see that the elements of the backdrop (like the spikes) from the left side become visible. This is what I mean by angled.

2. The trees are tilted down more than in the overview shot. In the bowser segment of the trailer they're already lower looking and bowser's a lot less zoomed in than Palutena/Mario. All I'm saying is that the tree could look similar if it gets tilted down further if you zoom the camera in that far.

3. Have you seen how crap the 3DS shots look when super zoomed out? I assume they wanted to zoom in on Palutena's model to show the detail and what not. You could argue the same thing against any other chosen angel or zoom-level.

That Palutena model reminds me exactly of her "trophy" in uprising. Poses and all.
They're definitely not the same models though. A comparison was posted earlier in the thread, this model is unique to these pictures.

These pictures, if fake, are just disgusting in how real they looks.

SuperSah

Banned
Maybe the background looks less starry because a shitty camera was used which didn't pick up all the nice detail compared to a on-screen shot?

Or maybe the camera had flash on, negating the image or there was glare on the screen.

DaBoss

Could all be explained by the sun coming up in the background.
But wouldn't that make the particle-like effect disappear from the bottom first if it was the sun rising?
1. I'm not particularly saying the characters are angled to the right. I'm saying the backdrop is.

If you go to the segment where it shows Bowser on top of the rightmost platform you'll see that the elements of the backdrop (like the spikes) from the left side become visible. This is what I mean by angled.

2. The trees are tilted down more than in the overview shot. In the bowser segment of the trailer they're already lower looking and bowser's a lot less zoomed in than Palutena/Mario. All I'm saying is that the tree could look similar if it gets tilted down further if you zoom the camera in that far.

3. Have you seen how crap the 3DS shots look when super zoomed out? I assume they wanted to zoom in on Palutena's model to show the detail and what not. You could argue the same thing against any other chosen angel or zoom-level.
1. Oh OK, but is that even possible in Smash Bros?

2. I see what you mean by the trees looking more tilted, but from my understanding the trees seem to far and the angle you're saying would require it to show Mario's backside more (I misunderstood in my last post by what angle you meant; sorry about that), which it doesn't seem to.

3. I definitely think they would zoom it to show any character on the 3DS version, but the angle you're saying seems too random and specific when the leaker can just straight up zoom in and show the character.
Maybe the background looks less starry because a shitty camera was used which didn't pick up all the nice detail compared to a on-screen shot?

Or maybe the camera had flash on, negating the image or there was glare on the screen.
1. Would be weird for it to be able to catch the detail in one half of the shot, but not the other.

2. There is no reflection or light on the screen indicating any flash.

I also just noticed, are those 2 different 3DSs?

emb

I think the Palutena fake is kinda distracting from one of the best updates so far. Edge changes sound great! I'm really curious to see how it changes. Air time seems really smart, though a bit abusable. Damage, I dunno about that. Hopefully damage only make it go down, and it has a really low cap to begin with (ideally, the max is the amount we have now).

Speaking of edge changes, I hope we lose edge snap and auto homing tethers from Brawl. Really bad decisions there.

Top Bottom