• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

why would a hud-less shot leak? it's fake. palutena will be in the game, though.

If this is the case... it's not really a big change at all. Damn near the entire cast recovers with a special move that hits the opponent (Marth's UpB, Falco's Side B, MK's side b, etc)

So if this new mechanic only works when the character grabbing the ledge runs out of invincibility, they're getting hit off the ledge anyways. It only helps the recovering character in the rare situation where the character on the stage grabs the edge to edgehog when the off-stage character is close enough to the stage to grab ledge with their double jump. In other words, never. Edge hogging in Brawl is used when you are reading the opponent's recovery, and snipe the edge at precisely the right moment, when your invincibility is in tact. That doesn't look like it's going to change in Smash 4, despite this new mechanic.

This helps characters like Link, Ivysaur, Samus and Olimar the most because of their tether recoveries. Assuming this new mechanic transfers to tethers, which it absolutely should. Or, change tethers back to the way they worked in Melee (can grab to any part of the stage instead of auto snapping to the edge).

since when did people use Meta Knight's Drill Rush to recover
Kappa

PikaED

XL do come in plain white you know?

See Europe.
I meant either it's a White XL(or LL) or an Animal Crossing model, you can't really tell from the images (sorry if my post was unclear).

EDIT:
I just don't think they use XLs for development.
I could be wrong, this is just an observation I made.

If those are fake, whoever made them deserves a fucking pat on the back. They look disgustingly real.

EDIT:
I just don't think they use XLs for development.
I could be wrong, this is just an observation I made.

I'm pretty sure they have at least XL units to test around with to see if the graphics look like shit.

EulaCapra

What a glorious random way to continue Smash GAF for a good while.

If fake, seems like a whole lotta trouble just to fake a character who already has a high chance of getting in. Those 3DS jaggies on her face don't lie. Although that blue halo behind her already bothers me. Huge.

What a glorious random way to continue Smash GAF for a good while.

If fake, seems like a whole lotta trouble just to fake a character who already has a high chance of getting in. Those 3DS jaggies on her face don't lie. Although that blue halo behind her already bothers me. Huge.

Yeah, that does look awkward. I guess it's fine for a character that just kind of stands around, but not when they are going to be jumping around and stuff.

Has anyone pored through the various brawl mods of Palutena that I'm sure exist?

Though off the cuff, I feel like that model is too good for that.

Just for comparison's sake, it also is not Brawl's Palutena (although the staff design seems to be taken from that one):

Pit's Final Smash:
PalutenaBrawl.png

Trophy:
Goddess_Palutena__s_wrath_by_EmperorTokijin.jpg

Undecided if it's legit or not(honestly a Wii U snapshot this zoomed in would've been more impressive), but it's very impressive if they went through the effort of making a new Palutena model (since that isn't the Uprising one) and faking new perspectives of Battlefield.

ffdgh

Well this night...morning whatever has been great. Mechanics change and a possible palutena leak/cruel joke. Do wonder if more will pop up.

PikaED

I don't think only Sakurai has the game, y'know.

Surely other devs have a 3DS on their desk to test it.
I just thought it was odd is all.

Not that I want to disprove this leak, as I would imagine Palutena would be fun to play as (the same goes for any new character).

Considering a faker would have to mock up the Mario shot, the background, AND the Palutena model, I'm going with Occam's razor here and saying it's a legit screenshot. There aren't many times when that is the simplest explanation.

Still, it's completely meaningless until it comes from Nintendo, so in the end it doesn't matter if it's real or not, since we won't know for sure until Nintendo announces her.

Undecided if it's legit or not(honestly a Wii U snapshot this zoomed in would've been more impressive), but it's very impressive if they went through the effort of making a new Palutena model (since that isn't the Uprising one) and faking new perspectives of Battlefield.

If Palutena makes it into Smash, then it's likely that she would use the same design as in the Wii U version. Of course they're not gonna use the KI:U model for that (well, aside from the actual base I guess), but rather upgrade the visuals, and then use that design in the 3DS version with less details.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If these screenshots are infact legit, I wonder if it means palutena is actually really close to being revealed officially.

If these screenshots are infact legit, I wonder if it means palutena is actually really close to being revealed officially.

I don't think there's any correlation to that. I mean, I'm highly sure that the character models for all of the playable cast is done already. Her being shown here does not mean that she'll be revealed next.

I'm glad that people are actually putting effort into their fake leaks these days. It was getting tiring seeing all of the really obvious half - assed attempts.

I believe!

If Palutena makes it into Smash, then it's likely that she would use the same design as in the Wii U version. Of course they're not gonna use the KI:U model for that (well, aside from the actual base I guess), but rather upgrade the visuals, and then use that design in the 3DS version with less details.
I meant a Wii U shot of Palutena this zoomed would be more impressive to fake since you'd absolutely have to make it from scratch since neither the original Brawl or Uprising model would remotely pass as genuine when put against HD Mario/Link/etc..

I meant a Wii U shot of Palutena this zoomed would be more impressive to fake since you'd absolutely have to make it from scratch since neither the original Brawl or Uprising model would remotely pass as genuine when put against HD Mario/Link/etc..

Oh, gotcha.

Maybe they're a bit more militant with the Wii U playtesting? I dunno. I just can't find anything with these images to believe they're not real. So I believe this leak.
If it's truly fake, it's basically done from scratch, and the effort deserves to be recognized as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I honestly wouldn't put it beyond someone to make their own model, just look at all those MMD voids out there. It makes things much easier since you have control of the lighting and angles. Also how fakes are always on the 3DS? Much easier to view your own images at full screen on it. On the Wii U you can use the browser but you'll still have a bar at the top.

I honestly wouldn't put it beyond someone to make their own model, just look at all those MMD voids out there. It makes things much easier since you have control of the lighting and angles. Also how fakes are always on the 3DS? Much easier to view your own images at full screen on it. On the Wii U you can use the browser but you'll still have a bar at the top.

On the flip side, it might be harder to sneak a picture on the wii-u version, then the 3ds version which is more portable.

Another possible reason for it being a 3ds pic could maybe be because they imported and modified her uprising model and haven't ported that over to the Wii U yet since it would require much more drastic changes?

Platy

Wow !

12/10 for that leak

My only problem is that the image with her alone would not make much sense in a "pause to take a screenshot" sense ... but that of course is following brawl photo camera options

Yes, but it's the cliff during nighttime, and it doesn't have the cloud behind it... Plus slightly different angle.

It wouldn't be hard to take the mountain from that picture, then put in a starry background.

Other than that, we still have to find any matches for the character models. So, it's still very much up in the air.

Wow !

12/10 for that leak

My only problem is that the image with her alone would not make much sense in a "pause to take a screenshot" sense ... but that of course is following brawl photo camera options

I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is going to add a way to actually rig and make photos in a much more dedicated way than Brawl's.
I mean, look at the amazing and sophisticated shots that he's been posting on Miiverse. I think that's also kinda to show that the photo camera is going to be much more in-depth than Brawl's.

Kyzon

It's legit.

I'm willing to avatar bet that.

If it turns out to not be an assist or actual character, then someone may change my avatar to something else Ganondorf related for like a month.

It's legit.

I'm willing to avatar bet that.

If it turns out to not be an assist or actual character, then someone may change my avatar to something else Ganondorf related for like a month.

thing is even if this particular leak is fake, most still would bet on Palutena being playable anyway

It wouldn't be hard to take the mountain from that picture, then put in a starry background.

It's not just copypaste though, here:
2DQ0bIT.jpg

The gap between the 2 "spikes" of the cliff are slightly different (i.e. looked upon from another position), and the second cliff is also much closer in the leak shot than it is on the Mario shot, and the entire cliff also is in a different angle overall.
There's also the ruin in the foreground missing in the leak shot, which is present in the Mario shot.

Unless you find a Battlefield shot that has that exactly same angle of the rocks and no ruins in the foreground, this is no copypaste.

leroidys

I'm 90% sure that it's not just the Uprising model lifted. If that is fake, it's very well done. Every once in a while, really high caliber fakes do come around though, so I'm still going to take the wait and see approach.

Tomorrow's daily Miiverse pic:

"I would like to take this opportunity to confirm the highly requested character Palutena from the Kid Icarus series will appear in the game as an unlockable sticker! There has been a lot of speculation in regards to this character and I am excited to finally talk about this unprecedented inclusion!"

Instead of a picture, there will be a .wav file of Sakurai laughing

I'm 90% sure that it's not just the Uprising model lifted. If that is fake, it's very well done. Every once in a while, really high caliber fakes do come around though, so I'm still going to take the wait and see approach.
It's too different to Uprising model to be from there, but they could have conceivably taken her trophy model from brawl, rigged it slightly and changed the face to look less realistic. Lowering the polygon count on models is also pretty easy to pull off, though it's still something I haven't seen any of the other fake photo leaks bother to try.

Also would it be too blunt to just directly ask your friend at NoA if this is real or not.

Top Bottom