• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

leroidys

It's too different to Uprising model to be from there, but they could have conceivably taken her trophy model from brawl, rigged it slightly and changed the face to look less realistic. Lowering the polygon count on models is also pretty easy to pull off, though it's still something I haven't seen any of the other fake photo leaks bother to try.

Also would it be too blunt to just directly ask your friend at NoA if this is real or not.

I'm not sure if he would even know, and I couldn't get anything more than "I can't talk about that" when I asked anything specific at all. The kirby thing he offered, and the release date I caught him off guard with at one point.

This definitely looks real. I was already expecting her to be playable, but was not expecting her to be leaked like this. I wonder if Sakurai will announce her earlier than he was pushing to because of this.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty fantastic that I cannot find any 3DS shots that have that same background, or even that same Mario pose. Nothing.

The Palutena model is very different from her Kid Icarus: Uprising idol, and this Palutena has subtle features that appear more similar to her old Brawl trophy (such as her staff).

I'm actually amazed. It's an unbelievable effort if fake.

leroidys

Does her staff have some sort of ring/grip in it? Because if not, that just looks off to me. Sorry, haven't gotten around to playing Uprising yet, so I wouldn't know.

It does look kinda weird, but I think it's just a combination of the weird angle it's tilting toward the screen at, and the fact that it's clipping through her hand.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
This leak has a bunch of invincibility frames.

It's not just copypaste though, here:
2DQ0bIT.jpg

The gap between the 2 "spikes" of the cliff are slightly different (i.e. looked upon from another position), and the second cliff is also much closer in the leak shot than it is on the Mario shot, and the entire cliff also is in a different angle overall.
There's also the ruin in the foreground missing in the leak shot, which is present in the Mario shot.

Unless you find a Battlefield shot that has that exactly same angle of the rocks and no ruins in the foreground, this is no copypaste.

The spacing has nothing to do with it if they cut the mountains out of the picture. You can just place them closer to make it seem like it's different angle. Really simple. I can recreate this scene minus Palutena in a couple of minutes.

I'm not saying this is proof it's fake, I'm actually more inclined to believe it. I'm just throwing possibilities out there.

PikaED

Maybe the Direct is being played on the 3DS somehow?
I suppose that would technically possible as Nintendo Directs are uploaded on both eShops.

And besides the only Smash trailer to have 3DS footage was the Debut/Villager trailer.

Azure J

How about the (actual spoiler)
great sacred treasure?

TBH, I've never been a fan of this even though everyone raves about it. The only reason why is preference for a massive boost to mobility and offensive pressure over getting put in another Landmaster esque machine.

Not

Banned
The spacing has nothing to do with it if they cut the mountains out of the picture. You can just place them closer to make it seem like it's different angle. Really simple.

I'm not saying this is proof it's fake, I'm actually more inclined to believe it. I'm just throwing possibilities out there.

Yeah, but then somehow they stuck these meticulously photoshopped Battlefield images next to homemade, original, outlined, 3DS-res Mario and Palutena models?

It's just insanely well-done if fake. Not saying someone couldn't go to the lengths, just saying wow.

Yeah, but then somehow they stuck these meticulously photoshopped Battlefield images next to homemade, original, outlined, 3DS-res Mario and Palutena models?

It's just insanely well-done if fake. Not saying someone couldn't go to the lengths, just saying wow.

Absolutely. If it ends up being fake, I'll be surprised.

Yeah, actually. Using the clone and fill tool. Not hard.

Again, the real proof would be to find a picture matching Mario or Palutena.

I see. I'm not very good with Photoshop knowledge. Didn't know it would be so easy to continue the drawing of the rock to look like it's actually drawn that way.
(genuine statement here btw, no sarcasm)

Metal B

My comments to the daily update from the other thread:

The changes to the metagame could be a really great in mixing and speed up the gameplay . It forces the player, who launches his opponent over the edge, to be more aggressive and following him over the edge to really finish him off. Just standing near the edge and wait for him to return, could be no longer an option, since the other player will properly trump him over the ledge. Since he spend more time in the air and has properly a higher percentage.

This will encourage much more risk and reward scenarios, offensive play-style and of course defuse planking. But most importantly Sakurai and his team address an problem of the competitive-community. This means, they are watching into the scene and support competitive gaming.

----

Another good idea is the disabling of the 100% threshold. Reaching the edge with a high percentage and another player guarding it, is already hard enough. Giving the player also a disadvantage to get back on the stage, is over pushing him after the hard work of recovering.

Before this change the launching player had a too big advantage, since he got four options:
  • Do nothing and wait for the other player to return (no risk, no reward)
  • Attack the player at the edge (low risk, high reward)
  • Guard the edge (low risk, high reward)
  • Go after him over the edge (high risk, high reward).
Waiting for the player always was a save and still rewarding option, since the launched player was always in the disadvantage and only could end the edge-game, if he successfully worked his way though the three defense stands (over the edge, at the edge, returning from the edge) and was finally on the stage again (to possible get launched again or launch the other player to start the punching bag cycle).

Now the the edge-game ends earlier. If the launched player is near the edge, he already successfully recovered and gets his options back. Which is in my opinion already enough hard work to accomplish. It also forced the launching player to go over the edge and take the high risk and high reward options, since the other options become more unattractive (low risk, low reward).

It also speeds up the gameplay. Players no longer will simply wait at the edge and do nothing, which always was a good low risk and high reward option. And the whole punching bag cycle will get defused. By this i mean following: players gets launched, while the other player waits at the edge, he recovers, gets launched again to his disadvantages, recovers again, repeat until the launched player fails or the other player makes a big, stupid mistake.

In the future matches will properly more often end over the edge (the launcher finishing off the other player or the launched player counter him) or with smashing the player over the edge of the screens. This will properly help the heavy and slow characters, since there advantages always on the level, while the fast and light characters need to take the high risk and high reward options more often.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The outline is one of the easiest things to do, just use the stroke tool with a bit of transparency. Is they did make their own model it would be easiest to pose them in the program of choice, take a screenshot, paste and cut out screenshot of model on top of the background they made (I mentioned it would be easier in some ways to make your own background) and add the stroke effect. View it in the photo app on the 3DS and take a photo. Your fake screenshot is complete.

The reason I say making your own background is easier is simply because one wouldn't have to carefully erase figures from a screenshot. People are saying we haven't seen a night time screenshot of Battlefield on the 3DS, this means we have no idea what the night time sky should look like making it even easier for the faker to make any sky they like.

The reason I say making your own background is easier is simply because one wouldn't have to carefully erase figures from a screenshot. People are saying we haven't seen a night time screenshot of Battlefield on the 3DS, this means we have no idea what the night time sky should look like making it even easier for the faker to make any sky they like.

Exactly. If it was a fake, they would most definitely use bits and pieces to make a new scene that is somewhat comparable to another we have seen for credibility.

Not

Banned
The outline is one of the easiest things to do, just use the stroke tool with a bit of transparency. Is they did make their own model it would be easiest to pose them in the program of choice, take a screenshot, paste and cut out screenshot of model on top of the background they made (I mentioned it would be easier in some ways to make your own background) and add the stroke effect. View it in the photo app on the 3DS and take a photo. Your fake screenshot is complete.

Very true. Though I still feel that if the models are original, the dedication required to make them look indistinguishable from the established visual style (as they appear to be) is laudable.

Another detail I noticed, the starry texture of the sky look like the Mario Galaxy stage sky:

If you look at the picture in question, the dark cloud shape is very pixilated. The first sign of scaling, but it could actually be a low res texture.

Edit: There actually are shots of the battlefield at night, so this probably doesn't matter.

Could you point out the section of the Galaxy stage sky you think this was cut out from? I'm not seeing it (but I also have an eyelash in one of my eyes lol).

Could you point out the section of the Galaxy stage sky you think this was cut out from? I'm not seeing it (but I also have an eyelash in one of my eyes lol).

I'm still looking for anything that looks similar, but I just posted as a general observation. Maybe someone else can take a crack at it. There are several Galaxy screens now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I was going to cut the sky from another level like that I'd likely rotate it to make it less obvious.

Also people have pointed out her staff looks similar to the Brawl model rather than the Uprising one. I find it odd that Sakurai would update Pit's design to reflect Uprising but not Palutena's

rosalina was leaked before hand
The Direct video was made public on YouTube before it was suppose to so some people managed to watch it in advance.

Another detail I noticed, the starry texture of the sky look like the Mario Galaxy stage sky:

If you look at the picture in question, the dark cloud shape is very pixilated. The first sign of scaling, but it could actually be a low res texture.
Eh, it doesn't look any different than the battlefield at night looks in this shot.

screen-10.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess what someone could do is view that image on their 3DS and photograph it and see if the sky looks just as blurry.

The real shot has quite a lot of stars in it whereas the "fake" has more solid blues in it. This could be just a result of one being a direct feed and the other being a photograph which is why I say one should compare like with like.

Guess what someone could do is view that image on their 3DS and photograph it and see if the sky looks just as blurry.

The real shot has quite a lot of stars in it whereas the "fake" has more solid blues in it. This could be just a result of one being a direct feed and the other being a photograph which is why I say one should compare like with like.

I was just thinking about that.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think final proof would be if when everybody starts waking up tomorrow and the pics on 4chan and other sites were mysteriously deleted and such, which would mean nintendo wouldnt want these pics out, this is a bit of a stretch though, it might not happen all the time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think final proof would be if when everybody starts waking up tomorrow and the pics on 4chan and other sites were mysteriously deleted and such, which would mean nintendo wouldnt want these pics out, this is a bit of a stretch though, it might not happen all the time.

Pics on 4chan deleted after 24 hours? Wow, I can't imagine that happening(!)

Top Bottom