• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 3: Ridley's Believe It or Not!

Ryce

I got your point but why is Duck Hunt dog being American character since there are very few people requesting for Duck Hunt Dog. The game was released in Japan as well.
I suppose I mean Duck Hunt in general more than a specific character. It's the Nintendo game that best exemplifies the cultural divide between America and Japan.

In America, Duck Hunt is "iconic." Being an NES pack-in game, everyone here knows what it is. It's one of the go-to games when people design retro gaming themed T-shirts or accessories. In Japan, however, it's nothing more than a fairly obscure light shooter, and nobody cares about it.

He already announced Zelda, like, forever ago.

main.png

She looks so fierce!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Everyone forgets about Europe in these debates. We didn't really care for the NES so most of the remaining NES characters are obscure no matter what. Bubbles from Clu Clu Land probably has a better chance than the usual names that are spouted in these thread ie. Mike Jones seeing its had appearances in games like Wario Ware and NES Remix whereas Star Tropics has had, well, none.

SmithnCo

Everyone forgets about Europe in these debates. We didn't really care for the NES so most of the remaining NES characters are obscure no matter what. Bubbles from Clu Clu Land probably has a better chance than the usual names that are spouted in these thread ie. Mike Jones seeing its had appearances in games like Wario Ware and NES Remix whereas Star Tropics has had, well, none.

What's a europe

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I suppose I mean Duck Hunt in general more than a specific character. It's the Nintendo game that best exemplifies the cultural divide between America and Japan.

In America, Duck Hunt is "iconic." Being an NES pack-in game, everyone here knows what it is. It's one of the go-to games when people design retro gaming themed T-shirts or accessories. In Japan, however, it's nothing more than a fairly obscure light shooter, and nobody cares about it.

Point taken. Yeah, that's why Laughing Dog is a barely silly character request from me.

that's because Europe forgot about Nintendo, check out those Wii U shipments

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm bored, so here's my Newcomer Wish List for Christmas as the year comes to a close. Really don't know what to expect since Sakurai has thrown curve-balls so far, only Mega Man I really saw coming.

Veteran Series New Reps.
Not a lot to work with, so only 6, one of which is an addition to a pre-existing character, and the other returning from Brawl

* Rosalina and Luma (Mario)
* Baby Mario (Yoshi). Not a "new character", but would ride Yoshi and change up his gameplay.
* Mewtwo (Pokemon)
* Dedenne (Pokemon)
* Medusa (Kid Icarus)
* Chrom (Fire Emblem)

New Series Reps
Also not a lot to work with either honestly, so I thought of who'd be cool

* Villager (Animal Crossing)
* Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
* Mii (Uh...Mii Series)
* Little Mac (Punch Out). Doc Louis would stand in the background like PT cheering him on too,
* T-Rex (Fossil Fighters)
* Takamaru (Mysterious Castle)
* Excite Biker (Excite Bike)
* Mega Man (Mega Man)
* Pac-Man (Pac-Man)

So 48 Character Slots, as I only see Snake leaving at this point.

Ryce

Here’s my philosophy regarding Smash Bros. I don’t know why I’m posting this, but whatever — it’ll help explain why I’m so easily impressed (or “pessimistic,” as someone has described me).

Apart from the really major character-based IPs like Mario and Pokémon, so long as a series has one playable representative, I have no room to complain. Metroid is all about isolation and exploration; there just aren’t a ton of fun, important, well-developed Metroid characters that lend themselves to a crossover fighting game apart from Samus. Similarly, despite being one of Nintendo’s most popular and best-selling series, Villager sufficiently represents Animal Crossing.

Given its middle position on the Nintendo totem pole and lack of adequate characters, Metroid feels complete to me with Samus and Zero Suit Samus as its playable representatives. I don’t fault Sakurai for excluding Ridley.

The counter-approach is, “well, if that series has X amount of playable characters, then so should this series!” I strongly dislike this line of thinking, and it’s why there seems to be so much arguing and bitterness within the community. Wolf didn’t “take the spot” of your favorite character. NeoGAF is fairly tame in this regard, but the amount of immaturity and logic-leaping exhibited at most of the other major Smash Bros. forums is alarming.

Would I like to see Ridley in the game as a playable character? Sure — he’s near the top of my wish list. But I’m not going to lose any sleep over his exclusion because I realize that he isn’t a high priority character, and I’m able to divorce my personal wants and wishes from the reality of the situation.

Gartooth

Star Fox deserves a lot of love so I'm fine with 3 characters, I think some are annoyed however because they see it as lazy character design. (Ex: 3 Landmasters)

Zalman

I'm bored, so here's my Newcomer Wish List for Christmas as the year comes to a close. Really don't know what to expect since Sakurai has thrown curve-balls so far, only Mega Man I really saw coming.

Veteran Series New Reps.
Not a lot to work with, so only 6, one of which is an addition to a pre-existing character, and the other returning from Brawl

* Rosalina and Luma (Mario)
* Baby Mario (Yoshi). Not a "new character", but would ride Yoshi and change up his gameplay.
* Mewtwo (Pokemon)
* Dedenne (Pokemon)
* Medusa (Kid Icarus)
* Chrom (Fire Emblem)

New Series Reps
Also not a lot to work with either honestly, so I thought of who'd be cool

* Villager (Animal Crossing)
* Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
* Mii (Uh...Mii Series)
* Little Mac (Punch Out). Doc Louis would stand in the background like PT cheering him on too,
* T-Rex (Fossil Fighters)
* Takamaru (Mysterious Castle)
* Excite Biker (Excite Bike)
* Mega Man (Mega Man)
* Pac-Man (Pac-Man)

So 48 Character Slots, as I only see Snake leaving at this point.
I don't think some of those new franchises deserve to have a character in Smash. I can see Little Mac and Pac-Man happening. Maybe Mii too. Probably not the rest.

Star Fox deserves a lot of love so I'm fine with 3 characters, I think some are annoyed however because they see it as lazy character design. (Ex: 3 Landmasters)
Yeah, this is my problem. I think it would be totally fair if Star Fox had three characters, but they need to be different from each other.

In order of what I want:
Palutena
Hades
Ridley

Nothing else matters.

I will probably main Samus anyway, so long as she gets fixed to Melee status.

I personally love the SSB4 Pikachu incarnation. I don't mind the lankiness as much because Pikachu's anatomy (despite being a mouse, I know) has always struck me as more rabbit or even cat-like (to an extent; see the thighs, for example) and it strikes me as the type of thing that would benefit his movement and combat.

If we're playing up the theory that the rosters have some degree of continuity, Brawl Pikachu is without a doubt evolved from Melee Pichu - hence the goggles as an alternate skin and having Volt Tackle as a final smash, which can itself only be learned as a Pichu.

The Brawl > SSB4 transition is more subtle, but you could always make the assumption that this particular Pikachu has progressively gotten lankier compared to a traditional one because it's not only battling, but fighting - and on its own, to boot.

Another interesting but unrelated theory I've seen has been about Snake's playstyle. People wonder why he relies on explosives and no traditional, kinetic-based bullet weapons: well, he's unique in that he actually researched Smash Bros. mechanics before entering the fray. He's not using explosives to make it kid-friendly, he's using them to knock opponents offstage more effectively than bullets.

Another interesting but unrelated theory I've seen has been about Snake's playstyle. People wonder why he relies on explosives and no traditional, kinetic-based bullet weapons: well, he's unique in that he actually researched Smash Bros. mechanics before entering the fray. He's not using explosives to make it kid-friendly, he's using them to knock opponents offstage more effectively than bullets.

Snake: "Colonel, why is Meta Knight so OP?"
Colonel: "......"
Snake: "shit, I've got to fight him don't I"

I'm starting to feel like Palutena won't make it in. I think Rosalina kind of encroaches on her territory a bit. I mean, I'm sure they'd play pretty differently if they made it in, but, I don't know, two tall mystic goddesses feels unlike Sakurai at this point. I think Kid Icarus will stay as Pit alone.

That said, I have no idea what the final roster will be, so I dunno. It feels so ethereal and intangible at this point, I can't imagine what the final roster will be at all.

In order of what I want:
Palutena
Hades
Ridley

Nothing else matters.

I will probably main Samus anyway, so long as she gets fixed to Melee status.

I'm in the camp that feels Medusa is a more interesting inclusion than Palutena. Outside of that, I'd be completely happy with:

Knuckles
Little Mac
Mewtwo (again)
King K Rool

Sadly, I think I'll be lucky to get one of those five.

I'm starting to feel like Palutena won't make it in. I think Rosalina kind of encroaches on her territory a bit. I mean, I'm sure they'd play pretty differently if they made it in, but, I don't know, two tall mystic goddesses feels unlike Sakurai at this point. I think Kid Icarus will stay as Pit alone.

That said, I have no idea what the final roster will be, so I dunno. It feels so ethereal and intangible at this point, I can't imagine what the final roster will be at all.
Here is my argument for the other way around:
Rosalina is a minor character in a highly represented series. She got in, I think, because Sakurai knows we need more female representation. Thus, a major female in another series has a good chance of getting in.

Waluigi will be announced in Smash on New Year's day. Nintendo will usher in 2014 as the Year of Waluigi!

Nintendo will file for bankruptcy a few weeks later.

Who's with me? Probably the most logical course of events.

Waluigi will be announced in Smash on New Year's day. Nintendo will usher in 2014 as the Year of Waluigi!

Sign me up!

I would legitimately love this. ...Minus the bankruptcy part.

Berordn

Here is my argument for the other way around:
Rosalina is a minor character in a highly represented series. She got in, I think, because Sakurai knows we need more female representation. Thus, a major female in another series has a good chance of getting in.

Rosalina represents a set of notable Mario games that Mario himself hasn't been modified to include at all though (whereas he was updated with the FLUDD to show off Sunshine in Brawl). She serves a purpose for the series at large, whereas Pit himself has been updated for Uprising representation.

But really, anything goes so she's still got as much of a chance as Duck Hunt Dog or Takamaru.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You will probably only get Palutena.

Heck, I would be very happy to have Palutena as playable character.

Sadly, I had same feeling when I saw Rosalina being confirmed so I have a feeling that Palutena's chance have been dropped. I'm going to remain optimistic but I doubt that she will shown up.

Just No. I dislike Waluigi. I would rather to see Rosalina being only Mario newcomer, so they would open more room for other series.

Ryce

I'm not sure where I stand on Kid Icarus. It's not an active series and it's unlikely to see a new entry anytime soon, so looking at it as a locked three game franchise (all of which star Pit), I don't see the immediate need for a second character. Uprising has recency in its favor, but all things considered, Kid Icarus is still a minor IP. It's no more significant than Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Yoshi, WarioWare, or F-Zero, all of which have only one character.

With that said... I'm still expecting to see Palutena. Sakurai started planning this game right after Uprising came out -- a period in which there was a lot of excitement surrounding Kid Icarus. That fanfare might have seeped into Sakurai's decision making process.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Toon Link's new final smash will be The Wink™. When he performs The Wink™ the rest of the fighters will explode with rage and will not stop exploding with rage for the rest of the match. This may seem OP, but if Adult Link is on the stage he counters the effects and with a chart from the audience of "You da man!" Toon Link is KO'd and the everyone recovers health because they finally got what they want.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not sure where I stand on Kid Icarus. It's not an active series and it's unlikely to see a new entry anytime soon, so looking at it as a locked three game franchise (all of which star Pit), I don't see the immediate need for a second character. Uprising has recency in its favor, but all things considered, Kid Icarus is still a minor IP. It's no more significant than Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Yoshi, WarioWare, or F-Zero, all of which have only one character.

With that said... I'm still expecting to see Palutena. Sakurai started planning this game right after Uprising came out -- a period in which there was a lot of excitement surrounding Kid Icarus. That fanfare might have seeped into Sakurai's decision making process.

Don't get my hope high please!

Zalman

I would argue Palutena is more significant than most secondary characters in those franchises you listed. Her name is even in the Japanese name for Kid Icarus.

Ryce

I would argue Palutena is more significant than most secondary characters in those franchises you listed. Her name is even in the Japanese name for Kid Icarus.
I agree, it's just that I'm not entirely confident that Kid Icarus is a big enough deal to warrant a second character. I'd still bet on Palutena showing up, though.

Top Bottom