• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 3: Ridley's Believe It or Not!

NeonZ

also yes, I assume sakurai ha to work with the pokemon company to get smash bros stuff worked out. Because a lot of it isn't owned by nintendo.

Sakurai actually talked about that in an interview around E3. And, yes, the Pokemon content is chosen alongside Pokemon Company and considers their upcoming plans and such, not only the games, unlike the way most Nintendo characters are handled.

Ryce

Also, I want to add that Ridley's size alone has never been the problem. The problem is that Ridley isn't nearly important enough to warrant a half-assed playable depiction. Outside of a bunch of Westerners on the Internet (myself included), nobody cares about Ridley. Like it or not, the Japanese perspective is most important in determining what gets included in Smash Bros.; Sakurai is Japanese, the development team is Japanese, and Nintendo is Japanese. We've had Japan-exclusive characters like Marth, Roy, and Lucas playable in the past, but never anyone that's only appeared in America.

Looking back at the survey Sakurai held to determine newcomers for Melee, not a single person asked for Ridley -- and this is a survey where hundreds of characters received votes, including those as obscure as GoldenEye's Trevelyan and the main character from Marvelous. The only Metroid character to receive any votes was a Metroid itself. Seriously.

If an American studio was handling this game we'd have probably gotten Ridley, Little Mac, Mike Jones, and the Duck Hunt dog a long time ago, but none of those characters have name value in Japan.

Jaeger

...the pokemon cartoon has no relevance to the games.

I'm done.

Gotta love these Ridley talks <3

They're tearing us apart.

Lol at least I can stop my contribution to this conversation with a smile on my face.

Also, I want to add that Ridley's size alone has never been the problem. The problem is that Ridley isn't nearly important enough to warrant a half-assed playable depiction. Outside of a bunch of Westerners on the Internet (myself included), nobody cares about Ridley. Like it or not, the Japanese perspective is most important in determining what gets included in Smash Bros.; Sakurai is Japanese, the development team is Japanese, and Nintendo is Japanese. We've had Japan-exclusive characters like Marth, Roy, and Lucas playable in the past, but never anyone that's only appeared in America.

..Huh? Are you saying Ridley is an American only character? That he wasn't created by Japanese, and be one of the main villians in EVERY Metroid ever, made? Whether people care about him or not., let's at least present facts and not continue to make things up o_O

Ryce

..Huh? Are you saying Ridley is an American only character? That he wasn't created by Japanese, and be one of the main villians in EVERY Metroid ever, made? Whether people care about him or not., let's at least present facts and not continue to make things up o_O
No, I'm saying the fact that we've gotten Japan-only characters but not any America-only characters means Smash Bros. has a natural bias towards Japan. Ridley's obviously a Japanese character, but nobody in Japan cares about him. Thus, he's unlikely to be worth the effort of being made playable.

Jaeger

Sakuri is aware of how popular Smash is in the states. Or do you think we aren't thought of at all in the development of the game?

You're done with what, something that has been obvious since like gen 2?

The only cartoons that come even close are the R/b/G movie and That weird series that followed gold around.

Pokemon, characters, and attacks are constantly deputing in the animated material, yearly. What do you mean, they have nothing to do with one another?

They are one in the same, overseen by the same people.

Fiktion

Banned
All in all I think Ridley has maybe a 25% shot at getting in.

There's no question that he's the iconic antagonist of his series, but he's too damn big, and Sakurai has always shown him to be too damn big, and there's no reason to think that he'll change his mind now. I'd actually be pleased if he were in, I just don't think his odds are great.

This conversation happens every time a new Smash game comes out. It will happen when Smash 5 is in development too.

Ryce

Sakuri is aware of how popular Smash is in the states. Or do you think we aren't thought of at all in the development of the game?
Sure, we're "thought of," but the last three Smash Bros. games show an obvious tilt towards Japanese tastes as far as roster selection goes. Metroid already has two playable characters, and there's nothing about the franchise that leaps out as necessitating a third.

No, I'm saying the fact that we've gotten Japan-only characters but not any America-only characters means Smash Bros. has a natural bias towards Japan. Ridley's obviously a Japanese character, but nobody in Japan cares about him. Thus, he's unlikely to be worth the effort of being made playable.
Pretty sure I've said this before when you've brought this up, but while there was probably support for him in Japan, it's pretty obvious the vast majority of support for Sonic in Brawl came from the west. The series usually sells the weakest there and some of the spin-off games like Racing Transformed don't even get proper Japan releases. I don't think the Japan-bias is as big a defining factor as you think.

GamerSoul

Da cycle continues.

Guys guys guys, Ridley isn't even that big see:

kGBp1lo.jpg

I imagine Ridley's reveal trailer will involve space pirates going through various Ridley incarnation looking for the right size arguing, giving up, and end up just making their own smash version. :3

Pretty sure I've said this before when you've brought this up, but while there was probably support for him in Japan, it's pretty obvious the vast majority of support for Sonic in Brawl came from the west. The series usually sells the weakest there and some of the spin-off games like Racing Transformed don't even get proper Japan releases. I don't think the Japan-bias is as big a defining factor as you think.

and which plausible 3rd party characters, other than Snake, could garner more support over in Japan
go on, I'll wait

this is all irrelevant though because it's Cranky Kong time

Ryce

Sonic is not obscure in Japan. He's more popular in America, but he is still well-known in Japan. He ranked pretty highly in Famitsu's fan-voted character survey and is one of the few third parties to receive votes in the aforementioned Japanese Melee newcomer survey. He's the mascot of one of Japan's largest publishers.

Regarding Ridley, if this was Mario we were talking about, and for some reason we were stuck with only one or two playable characters, then yes, I would agree that there's a problem. But Metroid is Nintendo's 11th or so best selling series and is nearly invisible to the country where Smash Bros. is being made -- there's nothing wrong with it having two playable characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sakurai just WhatsApp'd me and told me that the only rule he has in regards to newcomers is that their first letter must be unique [amongst the new comers]. Unfortunately for Ridley Rosalina just took R.

Azure J

So much ridley back and fourth im starting to not want him in

Can't ever agree with this kind of logic in Smash threads. "I don't like him/her because you all talk too much about him/her" is looney tunes. :lol

On another note I was replaying Metroid Prime 3 last night and remembered during the Brawl days how cool I thought it'd be if Rundas was playable.

and which plausible 3rd party characters, other than Snake, could garner more support over in Japan
go on, I'll wait
i'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here

Sonic was by far and away the most requested newcomer for Brawl, 3rd party or not. I'm saying most of that noise probably came from the west rather than Japan, showing that while he probably had fans in Japan, just going off how that series historically sells that commotion would've have to have come mostly from outside where Ryce is saying Smash focuses on. I don't think Sakurai, given how Sonic was a last-minute addition regardless, was actively looking for one more 3rd party rep to go alongside Snake.

SmithnCo

On another note I was replaying Metroid Prime 3 last night and remembered during the Brawl days how cool I thought it'd be if Rundas was playable.

I wish they would give another Hunters game a shot on a platform with dual analog sticks. Bring in the old Hunters, guys from Prime 3 and some new ones.

i'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here

Sonic was by far and away the most requested newcomer for Brawl, 3rd party or not. I'm saying most of that noise probably came from the west rather than Japan, showing that while he probably had fans in Japan, just going off how that series historically sells that commotion would've have to have come mostly from outside where Ryce is saying Smash focuses on. I don't think Sakurai, given how Sonic was a last-minute addition regardless, was actively looking for one more 3rd party rep to go alongside Snake.

Sonic: considerable demand in the west, still one of the most requested in Japan
Ridley: barely has a presence in the west, nonexistent in Japan

I dunno, you tell me

also BGBW pls, that doesn't even work in any of the smash games :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of Pokemon, I've been thinking about the inclusion of Dedenne:

fznr7BQl.png

Generation VI doesn't really have a "mascot", but as we just mentioned, the Pokemon Company has more control over which Pokemon get in, and they're pushing Dedenne currently since he's a mascot in the show and, well, the super-cute Pikachu clone. I think it'd be interesting to bring back "Pichu", but in the form of Dedenne instead, representing Generation VI.

I was thinking it'd be the smallest and lightest character in the game, but would also be pretty quick. Furthermore, borrowing an idea from Sakurai's own Kirby Super Star, it'd have an ability like the Plasma Ability in that as Dedenne moves around, it builds up static electricity. This would increase the power of its electrical attacks, and also serve as a barrier hurting enemies when they got near it, and possibly deflecting small projectiles like a miniature shield. Basically, this would make up for the fact it's so easy to knock out, it'd be harder to build up damage giving it a fighting chance.

Here's a basic idea for Special Moves:

First off, as Dedenne moves around, its static builds up. There'd be five levels to the build-up, with an electrical aura surrounding it growing to visually signify this. Level 1 would have no effect bar increasing the power of its electrical moves, Level 2, 3, 4, and 5 would also damage foes when they're near, slightly higher each level, Level 4 and 5 would also block certain projectiles, 5 blocking more than 4 but, when a projectile is deflected, the Static Level decreases by 1.

Neutral-B: Charge Beam. Dedenne fires off an electrical wave that shoots across the screen, hitting through foes until it flies off the screen. The Static Level increases its speed, size, and power, like the Plasma Shot move in Kirby Super Star. After, the Static Level drops to 0.

Side-B: Nuzzle. Dedenne jumps forwards and grabs onto the nearby foe, snuggling against them and temporarily stunning them, raising its Static Level by 1, and, if its Static Level was above 2, slightly hurting the foe too. Afterwards it quickly jumps off the foe to escape.

Up-B: Parabolic Charge. Dedenne spins around upward as a recovery move, electrical energy shooting out of its antennas, the range increasing the higher its Static Level. If it hits a foe, Dedenne receives a small HP regain, maybe 1/2 of the damage caused. Afterwards its Static Level drops to 0.

Down-B: Discharge. Dedenne unleashes a circular electrical blast around its body, trapping foes who are caught in it and slowly damaging them over time. The Static Level influences its range and length, and after using it, the Static Level drops to 0.

Final Smash: Super Charged. Dedenne becomes super charge, remaining at Static Level 5 until the Final Smash ends, allowing it to unleash fully powered versions of its attacks constantly.

What do you mean making stuff up, the pokemon cartoon has no relevance to the games.

In the cartoon people can ride on charizards, in games charizards aren't that big. Besides planning downloable events, or promoting pokemon. The pokemon show and the pokemon game are different.

FYI, Pikachu is only about a foot tall in the games. Regardless of whether you look at the anime or the games, Pikachu is larger in the Smash games.

That said, I don't think in-game evidence is going to help or hurt Ridley's chances. If Sakurai wants Ridley playable, then he'll be playable.

Kurtofan

Da cycle continues.

I imagine Ridley's reveal trailer will involve space pirates going through various Ridley incarnation looking for the right size arguing, giving up, and end up just making their own smash version. :3

It will be a Space Pirate in a Ridley cosplay

SmithnCo

It's interesting to compare Pokemon Trainer's size to Pikachu and the other Pokemon. Proves that size isn't necessarily standard even between characters from the same series in Smash. Ridley has other issues but it's something to consider.

Sonic: considerable demand in the west, still one of the most requested in Japan
Ridley: barely has a presence in the west, nonexistent in Japan

I dunno, you tell me
not until you tell me where i mentioned ridley in either of my posts about sonic probably getting in despite being waaaaaaay last-minute due more to intense support from the west than considerable support in japan

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Looking back at the survey Sakurai held to determine newcomers for Melee, not a single person asked for Ridley -- and this is a survey where hundreds of characters received votes, including those as obscure as GoldenEye's Trevelyan and the main character from Marvelous. The only Metroid character to receive any votes was a Metroid itself. Seriously.

If an American studio was handling this game we'd have probably gotten Ridley, Little Mac, Mike Jones, and the Duck Hunt dog a long time ago, but none of those characters have name value in Japan.

I got your point but why is Duck Hunt dog being American character since there are very few people requesting for Duck Hunt Dog. The game was released in Japan as well.

When is Sakurai going to announce a new character

This Thursday, I guess.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Christmas Eve's pic will show that the Villager sometimes plants Cedar Trees and in winter they look Christmassy.

Christmas Day will have Rosalina in her fire costume and Mario in his to show off colour palettes (and these are red and white).

Boxing day will be Toon Link against a wall with the Miiverse comment that ALBW is out in Japan today!

Top Bottom