• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprise, surprise: Bush administration gutting AIDS education

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/31/news-ireland.php
Some excerpts:
Lethal new regulations from President Bush’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, quietly issued with no fanfare last week, complete the right-wing Republicans’ goal of gutting HIV-prevention education in the United States. In place of effective, disease-preventing safe-sex education, little will soon remain except failed programs that denounce condom use, while teaching abstinence as the only way to prevent the spread of AIDS. And those abstinence-only programs, researchers say, actually increase the risk of contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

So what will be left? Why, the abstinence-only ed programs dear to Bush’s heart and to the Christian right. A third of all federal HIV-education money — some $270 million more in Bush’s latest budget — now goes to abstinence-only programs, almost universally to Christian groups as part of Bush’s “faith-based initiatives” (no Jewish or Muslim groups receive any funds). This is a brilliant maneuver — Bush has turned money earmarked for fighting AIDS into political pork for his Christer base. Much of this money goes to anti-abortion groups masquerading as “women’s health” or “crisis-pregnancy” centers. Others receiving such funds engage in religious propaganda — a federal judge found that Louisiana’s federally funded Governor’s Program on Abstinence illegally handed out Bibles, staged anti-abortion prayer rallies outside women’s clinics, and had students perform Bible-based skits.

Edit: a link to the new guidelines, in bureaucrat-speak:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/content_guidelines/default.htm

BuddyC

Jesus, I really need to educate myself on Kerry (plus everyone else) and decide who's worth voting for.

Alcibiades

so if 1/3 of the HIV-education money is for absitence education, what is the other 2/3 for, like other stuff (phamplets, training, etc...), or does it also go to education?

darscot

How are these even issues in the US? Do people really believe if you simply tell a kid to not have sex he won't. Especially when your barraged constantly with sexually charged advertising.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
darscot said:
How are these even issues in the US? Do people really believe if you simply tell a kid to not have sex he won't. Especially when your barraged constantly with sexually charged advertising.
Many people do. Yes.

And they are morons.

darscot

How many brain cells do you need to understand condoms are a good thing? Who cares if kids are screwing like rabits if there not getting diseased or having children?

BuddyC

darscot said:
How many brain cells do you need to understand condoms are a good thing? Who cares if kids are screwing like rabits if there not getting diseased or having children?
Well, for starters, Bush.

Socreges

Banned
darscot said:
Instead of immediately appealing to stupidity, which is maybe appropriate, think of the source. Christians. Pre-marital sex = bad. Condoms = evil. Abstinence = good. Though abstinence, as far as I'm concerned, is unreasonable for a majority. I even think that abstaining from sex goes against our humanity. We inherently want sex well before we're adults.

darscot

Does the US not seeperate government from religion? They must have at sometime? I know in Canada religous groups always bitch and complain but usually the government has to stay neutral. Your not going to find condom machines in private christian schools or anything but you sure as hell can't say God says condoms are evil in public schools.

Alcibiades

darscot said:

thing is, if you push condom-only, they might get the false impression that they are 100% safe, and those 7% it doesn't protect would not have been served, probably a combination of condom knowledge and proper usage + facts about safety percentages (abstitence being 100%, condoms 90%) + education about other methods of satisfaction (oral sex, mutual masturbation, touching, etc being safe(r)) would probably be the best way to approach it...

might as well throw in some pregnancy education and stats as well, most 18-and-under probably have misconceptions (from what I gathered, at my school, over 75% thought "pulling out" was a fail-safe way to stop pregnancy or dramatically reduce chances, but I live in a lower-class part of the city, where parents aren't really going to be part of sex-ed to kids)...

Meier

I'm curious what percentage of kids in America who are having sex don't know using condoms will help prevent STDs and/or pregnancies, etc.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Thats just stupid,no abstinence will help,unless you put kids on drugs /hello equilibrium!

I allready see "Mastrubate for Jesus" Posters.

Alcibiades

Meier said:
I'm curious what percentage of kids in America who are having sex don't know using condoms will help prevent STDs and/or pregnancies, etc.

true, probably the focus and emphasis should be on the danger/seriousness of STD's rather than just general encouraging...

One dude I know in college was telling a story about how he didn't use a condom (even though he had one) because he didn't want to ruin the mood and walk to the other side of the room when they were already doing whatever it was they were doing. I didn't say anything cause he was actually telling it to a friend of mine (I happened to be at the same table and pretty much just overheard the "whispered" conversation), but he didn't even make a big deal about it...

He knew it was better to use it, but didn't (and probably convinced himself it was unlikely the girl had anything if she looked "clean")...

That's why I like those MTV commercials about using protection and getting tested, because it boils down to communication and practice, not knowledge and encouragement...

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
darscot said:
Who cares if kids are screwing like rabits if there not getting diseased or having children?

You have no problem with 12-16 year olds having sex, as long as its safe sex? You've got to be kidding me.

Fjord

Uhh isn't Bush known for doing quite alot in the fight against AIDs? Seriously guys stop turning these messageboards into a conduit for your anti bush rage.

maharg

idspispopd
I think you should probably assume that most people are talking about 13 or 14 to 18. Anything else is creating a strawman.

BuddyC

Auron said:
This really doesn't surprise me. Look at ads at the bottom of this page...
You mean the ads generated by the use of certain words in this thread?

It means that Google uses search-based technologies to match advertisements to the content and context of web pages - so the ads you see are related to the information you are viewing. The ads come from Google's base of AdWords advertisers. These advertisers range from global brand name companies to small local businesses.

Seth C

Would it really be so hard to educate "abstinence is safest, but if you're going to do it just use a condom?"

SKluck

Banned
If you are stupid and irresponsible enough to fuck someone without having accurate knowledge of their sexual history, you deserve to die of AIDS.

Fuck sex ed. Who learns new information from those programs anyway?

Fjord

SKluck said:
If you are stupid and irresponsible enough to fuck someone without having accurate knowledge of their sexual history, you deserve to die of AIDS.

You're a virgin aren't you?

Drensch

Uhh isn't Bush known for doing quite alot in the fight against AIDs?

Actually, like a lot of things, Bush gave it some lip service in a speech and then immediately saw to cutting funding.

Fjord said:
Uhh isn't Bush known for doing quite alot in the fight against AIDs? Seriously guys stop turning these messageboards into a conduit for your anti bush rage.

Yeah, right. The right wing likes to pin AIDS as a homosexual problem, so I'm not at all surprised by this.

Bush is a fucking creep. I just hope enough people are smart enough to see through his bull shit come november.

Bush redirects funds to educating the public that AIDS is, in fact, a gay man's disease.

oh hell, kitchen got the joke already. Oh well, I'm pumped on vicodin and still can't sleep. Deal with it folks.

Fjord

kitchenmotors said:
Yeah, right. The right wing likes to pin AIDS as a homosexual problem, so I'm not at all surprised by this.

I call bullshit, find me an example of this in say the last 20 years.

Bush announced $15 Billion in NEW funding for the fight against AIDs "Seldom has history offered a greater opportunity to do so much for so many," The only criticisms you'll find of his AIDS plan are from an existing AIDS agency who are mad they aren't the ones getting the funding, those who would rather the US break patent laws and buy illegal generic drugs at a cheaper price and some ignorant fools who can't see beyond their partisan bias.

edit: That LA weekly article sure has alot of quite possibly misleading statistics.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
SKluck said:

This is perhaps one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen on these boards.

#1 - The chances of getting to know anyone's full (as in 100% complete) sexual history are slim-to-none, unless they are a virgin, and even then they might be lying to you.

#2 - Saying that someone deserves to die is just horribly wrong, especially when that person did nothing to harm another human being.

#3 - Sex ed is helpful. You'd be surprised how many kids' parents don't talk to them about sex.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I wonder how many bishops are using condoms for the kids ;)

JC is right though, sex ed is very helpful. Heck, I learnt how to use a condom during early high school. I knew what a vagina looked like before I even saw one so I wouldn't be scared by the jaws of death!

SKluck

Banned
I never learned anything from my parents about sex, I never got 'the talk'. I never learned anything from sex ed either. Maybe what the individual organs are called, but nothing detailed. I know pretty much everything there is to know about sex, so I obviously got that info from somewhere.

And yeah, I happen to not be in the crowd of 'casual fuckers', so sue me.

Well Bush in general has been in pretty stark opposition to any sort of family planning and sexual education. He has cut funding on campaigns that have an effect on AIDS transmission. Basically anything that involves a discussion of sex Bush has cut. He is not friendly towards that type of thing.

Wolfy

Banned
I really don't see why it's such a big deal to resist having sex. We're not dogs, we have self control. Don't want STDs? Don't do it!

Wolfy said:
I really don't see why it's such a big deal to resist having sex. We're not dogs, we have self control. Don't want STDs? Don't do it!

What an awesome plan! With that kind of attitude, you have a bright future in the Bush administration.

FoneBone

Wolfy said:
Unless scientists find a way to eliminate human libidos, premarital sex and promiscuity are going to happen. That's not going to change, regardless of sex ed.

Wolfy

Banned
What an awesome plan! With that kind of attitude, you have a bright future in the Bush administration.

Well, I think it is a good plan. Making sex that much more special by waiting for the love of your life until marriage is a really cool idea, I think. No doubt, many people are like "BUT OMG YOU ARE A PRUDE WHO CANNOT GET A GF OMG WE HAVE TO HAVE SEX OR WELL DIE"

Joking aside, I know almost everyone here will reject what I'm saying. I think on the national scale, we shouldn't get rid of abstinence education. If we increase condom encouragement etc, we don't have to cut abstinence education at the same time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
While the mere act of procreation is instinctive, sex is not. You aren't saving anything but your title of "virgin".

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
AIDS education is a bunch of bullsh!t... I'm 28 and still don't have a straight answer on whether or not I can get it from receiving 'head'... None of my friends know either, and we're all some head-gettin' mofos.

That logic is flawed and incredibally ignorant. For one, there's no such thing as an 'accurate' sexual history because people lie. Furthermore, no one deserves to die of anything, let alone something as horrific as AIDS.

The human body is designed to want to have sex at around 16 years old. Why is this? Because our genetic material is in top form at this time. 16 is around the optimal time at which to combine it. That is why we search out sex at a relatively young age.

Abstinance can and does work but realistically isn't going to fix or even have an impact on any problem. Better actual sex education is the only way to enlighten people and make them understand what they are doing.

DaCocoBrova said:
AIDS education is a bunch of bullsh!t... I'm 28 and still don't have a straight answer on whether or not I can get it from receiving 'head'... None of my friends know either, and we're all some head-gettin' mofos.

Last time I read up in it no specific case had been reported of contracting HIV/AIDS from oral. That said the information could be out of date or innacurate. It is possible though. Having any body fluid interact with any open sore(like bleeding or damaged gums) between people has a chance of infection.

Oh yeah, as a side note my GF is a nurse. She used to go to various schools and help teach sex-ed. The Surrey school board is very conservative and wouldn't allow them to come in and talk about condoms or safe sex. What do you know...Surrey has the highest level of youth HIV infection in all of BC.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wolfy said:
That's exactly the point, to be a virgin.
My point was that although you feel you're keeping something more special for your first time, that first time on your wedding night is going to be lousy... and it might never improve. ;)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Yeah, pussy is like footware. It all feels different. To be stuck w/ the same uncomfortable shoes for a lifetime would realy suck.

darscot

DaCocoBrova said:
Yeah, pussy is like footware. It all feels different. To be stuck w/ the same uncomfortable shoes for a lifetime would realy suck.

But wearing shoes someother guy has broken in is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom