• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch charging time is 3 hours, non-removable battery

You can bring a charger with you. If I'm using my iPhone continuously playing games, it also drains battery faster than it charges, so I'll keep it plugged in if possible. Fucking chill out with the Nintendo hate guys.

LOL. This post is pathetic.

Donnie

Lmao you are gonna have to charge this piece of shit for longer than you can play it, my lord.

Who greenlit this mess?

Erm it sits on a dock and is contantly charged, its a console after all. So its not like you'll have it lying around turned off and then have to remember to charge before playing it in handheld mode. Anyone expecting a long play time for a hybrid console/handheld which is way more powerful than any other handheld gaming system on the market is plainly a lunatic.

Anyway forgetting the constant whine fest for a moment.,

So we know the battery is 16 watt hours. We also know that is lasts around 3 hours playing Zelda (likely slightly under 3 hours), so we can then gather that the device uses around 6w in handheld mode.

And as we all know, these values are usually made up a little (read: 'optimized conditions')... we could be looking at 2 hours of play time with Zelda and something like 4 hours of charging.

It's getting clearer and clearer, this is first and foremost a home console with tacked on mobile functionality.

bomblord1

Banned
Yet it can only go portable if you are willing to pay good money on a SD card with good capacity or if you choose to buy only physical games (which isn't the ideal for handhelds IMO).

It can go portable out of the box with nothing. You do what you did since the original gameboy.

If you want to go all digital pick up a $30 128GB micro SD card.

If you want a longer battery life pick up a $15 battery bank to double the systems life.

The solutions are cheap, easy to come by, and simple.

NimbusD

They'll pay for an it motion sensor that will never be used, but not for quick charge capabilities. Come on priorities.

My phone charges in like 30 min.

Pachimari

oh for god sakes.. so much hyperbole in here..

xYTVnpo.png

It uses USB-C get a bettery pack. it's what i did for my Wii U game pad and what i have for my 3DS i never run out of power.
I got this exact 20.000mAh power bank and I'm definitely not happy about the charging time of the Switch. And in fact, it won't even be able to charge the Switch while playing a graphically intensive game like Zelda or Mario Kart on the go.

Now I'm honestly just considering waiting for a revision, and just buy the games until then.

This battery is also heavy, so it's not for everyone it has to be said.

Ponn

Banned
I was going to buy an extra AC adapter anyways to keep near where I normally play my handhelds. Alot of the time my Vita is plugged in while i'm play stuff anyways.

What system comes with a game at launch anymore? Not sure how that is even a valid complaint? When I bought my PS4 I had to buy a game with it too.

And I find it strange that the person is calling out the games costing 60 bucks. It's the standard...Nintendo games shouldn't be any kind of exception.

I think Most people thought it would launch at $249 without a game and $300 with one. Lots of people think its overpriced at $300, especially if you have to buy a game at launch. But I agree, systems don't tend to launch with games anymore so nobody should have expected it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jesus, am i really now treated a fanboy because i think that the post claiming that charging the console will take longer than playing it was bullshit?

Is this all it takes to be considered a Fanboy nowadays?

Welcome to a console announcement where people lose their marbles over the smallest of things.

dlauv

I honestly don't understand how, in this day and age, you'll be gone away from an outlet for so long.

Will you be sitting at a park playing Skyrim for 2.5 hours? At a rooftop barbeque with your friends like in the commercials (where there's probably an outlet anyway)?

I have little-to-no interest in this thing, but I'm confused at this concern. Is it just in comparison to prior handhelds from Nintendo?

Patrick S.

Banned
I have an old Garmin too that would last a pretty long time too. Comes down the the processor and screen used. At least for mine it had a resistive touch screen as well, which is lower power than capacitive.

Oh, that makes sense, yeah. A capacitive screen is probably scanning for input all the time, right? Next time I use the phone as GPS, I'll try and see hoy long it runs if I throttle the processor speed.

They'll pay for an it motion sensor that will never be used, but not for quick charge capabilities. Come on priorities.

My phone charges in like 30 min.

You don't want battery life, you want New Ways to Play ™ remember? You want to milk a cow with a tiny controller that detaches from your console. You want to push the boundaries of gaming and unlock the most innovative experiences of all time using inferior Kinect tech and waggle.

Totakeke

The hardware criticisms remind me when the Surface Pro first launched. People who want a home console can crticize it for not being powerful enough and people who want it as a portable will complain that it's not portable enough. It's probably pointless to fight against the tide of criticisms and probably better to just let the product speak for itself when it gets into the hands of people.

ngower

LOL. This post is pathetic.

In what way? I'm going to an event tomorrow night and will be away from my house for roughly 8-10 hours. I will bring my iPhone charger. It's not that abnormal to take a charging cable with you when you take portable electronics on the go.

It charges via USB-C..iPhone and Android charge via USB cables as well. I'm just not sure how this differs at all between the devices?

Veitsev

Don't do this. Don't bring Sony into it. This is about Nintendo's failures. Sony are champions. They have the room to do what they want.

The point is this thread is full of Vita owners (I am one of them) acting like a 3 hour charge time is a big deal when the vita has a charge time of around 2 hours and 40 minutes. That isn't Sony's fault either.

Lol you're gonna try to shit on Sony after Nintendo's piss poor product? C'mon, son. Nintendo will never do Playstation numbers again.

I am not shitting on Sony. The Vita is awesome and its charge time/battery life isn't Sony's fault.

DavidDesu

Wow some people now defiantly stating this is a console first and foremost and to chill.... so we can directly compare the Switch with the console competition then..? If so it's truly DOA.

LordRaptor

And as we all know, these values are usually made up a little (read: 'optimized conditions')... we could be looking at 2 hours of play time with Zelda and something like 4 hours of charging.

We could even be looking at something like only a half hour of gameplay and a 12 hour charge cycle, with all proceeds going to fund ISIS

rekameohs

Banned
What's the point of having USB-C then? I wasn't expecting quick charge levels, but it should at least be faster than the discharge rate.

Worst case scenario is 3hrs. Is that really that bad for a handheld that can play something like Breath of the Wild? I'm guessing average will be 4-5hrs for less demanding games which is fine. I guess this is an issue that won't really effect me so it's not a big deal for me.

Preorder Cancelled

i'm out fam.

This issue is pretty much what I expected. It's every other problem this console has that is a deal breaker for me

Hubb

The point is this thread is full of Vita owners (I am one of them) acting like a 3 hour charge time is a big deal when the vita has a charge time of around 2 hours and 40 minutes. That isn't Sony's fault either.

I am not shitting on Sony. The Vita is awesome and its charge time/battery life isn't Sony's fault.

I've been using my OG vita a lot lately and my vita charges in just over an hour.

bomblord1

Banned
We could even be looking at something like only a half hour of gameplay and a 12 hour charge cycle, with all proceeds going to fund ISIS

Who knows maybe the system actually dies as soon as its removed from the dock if a real game is running and it takes a full charge to turn it back on.

trixx

I was going to buy one last night to scalp but the presentation was so bad I couldn't pull the trigger. Even this morning I thought about it and still couldn't. Good luck reselling these things dudes.

this post is so funny I'm crying. On that note I hope all scalpers take the L lol

Are you going to trade-in your Vita too?

Lol the thing is years old. I actually have a massive Vita+3DS backlog i should get through anyways.

Fast charge is a deal breaker for me because of how annoying it takes to charge my handhelds. I could deal with the 3hr battery life but 2hr charging is too much =/

ElDuderino

Couldnt care less about charge times. Since this is a home console mine will be docked 95% of the time. Most people wouldnt be happy with this system unless Nintendo gave them a system that did 4k docked and handheld mode, 10 hour battery life with 30 min charge time, and only cost $250.

Wil348

If I'm playing the Switch in bed I have no probem just plugging it in. Same for car/train journies. I'm not sure there will be many scenarios where this is a notable inconvenience for me, especially when it's similar to the 3DS' battery life (unless you're playing super demanding games).

That said, that's just me though. For people who are on the go a lot more than me, this will probably be a big problem. They really should make a handheld only SKU in the future with a better battery.

Veitsev

I've been using my OG vita a lot lately and my vita charges in just over an hour.

The manual states 2 hours 40 minutes from 0% charge. Not sure if the Slim is any faster but I know it has slightly longer battery life (its the one I own).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
this post is so funny I'm crying. On that note I hope all scalpers take the L lol

Impossible for scalpers to lose a penny. If it doesn't sell for a nice profit, just return it to the store and get 100% of your money back.

Donnie

3DS Charge Time According to Nintendo: 3.5 hours
3DS Play Time at Max Settings (everything on): 3.5 hours

So going by these metrics, the Switch still falls short as at its worst, the 3DS play and charge time were equal.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26166/3ds-battery-tests

Was 3DS the most powerful handheld around? Did 3DS sit in a dock and constantly charge? Its not the same situation. IMO Nintendo sacrificed enough for handheld mode (too much actually, I'd have liked more performance even if it meant only 2 hours play time), I'd hate for them to have sacrificed even more just for longer play time on a device which is meant to be a console and only played away from the living room when needed.

Gattsu25

Banned
oh for god sakes.. so much hyperbole in here..

xYTVnpo.png

It uses USB-C get a bettery pack. it's what i did for my Wii U game pad and what i have for my 3DS i never run out of power.

I have that exact same battery pack for my phone. It's great.

However, the Switch would be a pain to use with that as it would still take hours to recharge.

Papacheeks

Banned
Is it just me or is there so much mixed messaging on this device?

Like how the Joycon's work, how they charge, what's removable battery wise. having USB-C for fast charging and to not have use for it's purpose?

Like WTF.

ggx2ac

Erm it sits on a dock and is contantly charged, its a console after all. So its not like you'll have it lying around turned off and then have to remember to charge before playing it in handheld mode. Anyone expecting a long play time for a hybrid console/handheld which is way more powerful than any other handheld gaming system on the market is plainly a lunatic.

Anyway forgetting the constant whine fest for a moment.,

So we know the battery is 16 watt hours. We also know that is lasts around 3 hours playing Zelda (likely slightly under 3 hours), so we can then gather that the device uses around 6w in handheld mode.

And technically, the wattage could have went higher if the controllers weren't detachable with their own batteries.

Veitsev

Is it just me or is there so much mixed messaging on this device?

Like how the Joycon's work, how they charge, what's removable battery wise. having USB-C for fast charging and to not have use for it's purpose?

Like WTF.

The conference was awful and Nintendo has done a piss poor job getting out the details for this product. Would be somewhat forgivable/understandable if this thing was releasing in Fall 2017 but it will be here in March.

Izayoi

Banned
What is Nintendo supposed to do, invent a mobile fusion reactor? Battery tech is at fault here...

To think, what if this thing was even more powerful?

The battery is already huge. People are delusional.

Top Bottom