• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

Rembrandt

Banned
It's 100% unreasonably excited unless you truly enjoy Nintendo games. I feel like 3rd party support is even worse than it was with the Wii and Wii U in terms of announced games and whatnot.

Even the launch seems dependant on Zelda right now. I still want one, but I'll wait. It isn't revolutionary enough to sell me on a launch console depending on launch games.

More power to you, but pretty much every system from here to the Switch had a better lineup and more potential for less money.

spekkeh

Banned
??

I don't get it. I need to go back at least until the SNES (or maybe Dreamcast?) to find a lineup with more system sellers in the first six months than the Switch. It's mitigated for me due to having a Wii U, but there's not that many of me. Which lineup would you consider better?

I'm only excited for it because it's a handheld (for me). I got all Nintendo handhelds at launch. The only other home console I got at launch was the N64.

I never bought the Wii U, PS4 or XBO.

If I was sure there wouldn't be supply shortages post-launch then I might have waited for hands-on reviews of the retail unit and any yet unknown potentially bad surprises... But don't want to be stuck with a situation like the Wii or PS2 launches where the system becomes almost impossible to find for months/years.

I reckon if I end up not liking it or playing it much, I can sell it for little to no loss, maybe even a profit.

T.O.P

Banned
This is the first time i pre-ordered a console on D1 and get more MEH the closer we get to release

Only thing that hypes me is the console/hardware itself, not the games honestly (Zelda looks good, but i'm not a huge fan of the older games tbh)

Gimme some Gamecube ports than we can talk

Ronny93

Does anyone else think that this launch keeps feeling more and more failing and consumer-unfriendly? I don't know, there is just too much shit getting up. I really want to love and and want to be hyped, but it keeps getting worse:

• The console is severely underpowered today. We are talking numbers like 900p, 720p, 30 fps, etc. We shouldn't even hear numbers like these in 2017.
  • The console competes directly vs. cheaper and way more powerful PS4s, X1s, PS4 Pros
  • No media functionality. I literally can't replace my PS4 because I need its Bluray capabilities
  • Horrendous pricing. Browser games like Bomberman or tech demos like 1 2 switch are sold at full price
  • Only Zelda as worthy launch title. I'm not too excited at Shovel Knight or Isaac which I played 10 years ago or got for free with the PS+ trash
  • Almost no 3rd party stuff

All those core negative aspects and then the most recent news that you can spend more money on a crappy Zelda expansion pass. I actually hoped for Nintendo that they kind of shelled out a big surprise like "1 2 Switch is coming 4 free bundled with each console" or "Mario Kart made it to release" but no, it keeps getting worse.

Nintendo keeps on digging.

Klart

Quite strange that you pick this console as the first to buy at launch since the PS2, as it's probably the console we know the least about at launch since the PS2. Well, your call.

Spy

Does anyone else think that this launch keeps feeling more and more failing and consumer-unfriendly? I don't know, there is just too much shit getting up. I really want to love and and want to be hyped, but it keeps getting worse:

• The console is severely underpowered today. We are talking numbers like 900p, 720p, 30 fps, etc. We shouldn't even hear numbers like these in 2017.
  • The console competes directly vs. cheaper and way more powerful PS4s, X1s, PS4 Pros
  • No media functionality. I literally can't replace my PS4 because I need its Bluray capabilities
  • Horrendous pricing. Browser games like Bomberman or tech demos like 1 2 switch are sold at full price
  • Only Zelda as worthy launch title. I'm not too excited at Shovel Knight or Isaac which I played 10 years ago or got for free with the PS+ trash

All those core negative aspects and then the most recent news that you can spend more money on a crappy Zelda expansion pass. I actually hoped for Nintendo that they kind of shelled out a big surprise like "1 2 Switch is coming 4 free bundled with each console" or "Mario Kart made it to release" but no, it keeps getting worse.

Let's not forget the lack of achievements, built-in party chat, possibility of friend codes still existing (due to leaked document), and no news of Virtual Console or a proper unified account system.

None of these matter to people who view it as a handheld.

TBH there hasn't been a handheld or console that I've bought at launch or near that I didn't regret. Having to have it so early now just seems like a bragging point of being among the first or whatever.

My Wii U been gone for 2 years. Switch was
literslly
a no brainer

Manny I played Wii Sports Resort for two hours today at my buddies house. All that janky waggle fun. I need an upgraded version for Switch.

What are the chances we get something like that GAF?

Klart

The console itself is really cool, but everything else?

I mean, you're even forgetting stuff like

* they've got paid online as well now
* nothing is known about transferring your VC games
* no backwards compatibility
* a lot of WiiU "reissues"

I was expecting Ninty to come out with at least one game that 'd blow everyone's mind. All they really have at launch is Zelda, which looks bloody great, but we've known about that game for years & it's also coming to WiiU. And the new Mario looks really nice as well, but beyond that?

1. It's a handheld.
2. Shocking that a system that is brand new and includes a screen doesn't have the library of consoles that are three years old and is more expensive.
3. It's not meant to replace your PS4
4. Bomberman is not a browser game. I do think these titles are overpriced, but please, slow down the exaggerated language, son.
5. ONLY Zelda. Most launches would die for Zelda. I do wish the launch was a little more fleshed out, but I do know I'll by happier with this launch and a few months in than I was with PS4 and Killzone: Shadow Fall. Implying that Shovel Knight and Isaac are trash is just insane.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
No matter if the controller has a highly praised multitouch display and wireless detachable joy-cons with latest gyros and HD Rumble, that can serve as an advanced wiimote/nunchuk set up, also enabling 2P local multiplayer sessions.
No, it doesn't matter at all.

You are right. But the Switch is priced as a fully fletched home console (even more expensive) and therefore it competes with them directly. No matter if the controller has a display.

It's priced as a home console because it also functions as one. It can do both! So your argument is that you should ignore the fact that it has a screen and crams all that tech into a super slim body. Gotcha. It should be cheaper than systems that are three years into their life cycle and on cost-cutting revisions.

eltercero

I've only bought the Wii at launch, so it's the second for me. Pretty excited for both hardware and Zelda. Taking the train will never be the same.

Cerium

Do handhelds count? Because I was all over the DS when it launched.

I don't remember why, but I did hold off on the 3DS until the price drop.

daxgame

And the new Mario looks really nice as well, but beyond that?

Beyond that, in 2017 alone, there are other great games that interest several people. Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Fire Emblem Warriors. If you don't like them then it just sounds this is not for you, but it doesn't mean that there is not quality stuff.

You are right. But the Switch is priced as a fully fletched home console (even more expensive) and therefore it competes with them directly. No matter if the controller has a display.

But who the heck cares about who you think what it competes against? It is priced that way because it's not just a portable. But the console, as in, the pieces that compose it, are all inside a small tablet-like case, not a giant box.

klier

The only consoles I didn't buy at launch are the PS3 and 360. Before that and after that it's all launch, systems like the DC, GCN and PS2 were even imported from Japan, just to be the first to own them.

The Zelda wait is killing me!

1. It's a handheld.
2. Shocking that a system that is brand new and includes a screen doesn't have the library of consoles that are three years old and is more expensive.
3. It's not meant to replace your PS4
4. Bomberman is not a browser game. I do think these titles are overpriced, but please, slow down the exaggerated language, son.
5. ONLY Zelda. Most launches would die for Zelda. I do wish the launch was a little more fleshed out, but I do know I'll by happier with this launch and a few months in than I was with PS4 and Killzone: Shadow Fall. Implying that Shovel Knight and Isaac are trash is just insane.

Don't forget about Knack! That game was sooooo great.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lmao getting the switch at launch but those games are trash save Zelda haha.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think these games are trash. Doesnt matter if you get a Switch at launch or not, you need to inform yourself a bit.

spekkeh

Banned
"It's not a more powerful device exactly like my PS4 in every way, so it's a huge fail."
I mean, if you want a more powerful machine to replace your PS4, don't get a Nintendo. Obviously. Get a PC. Or wait for Scorpio. But if, next to having a PS4, the prospect of Nintendo games and playing console quality games on the go is interesting to you, get a Switch. If neither of these concepts entices you, then, what the hell are you actually doing clicking on a thread that says Nintendo console in the first place.

I'll tell you what the hell you're doing. You find this prospect terribly exciting, but either don't have the funds or mentally assigned Nintendo to irrelevancy and are now dealing with cognitive dissonance, and subsequently feel a strong urge to rationalize not getting one, as well as hoping you get peer validation here. Please don't, it's annoying.

I mean, if you want a more powerful machine to replace your PS4, don't get a Nintendo. Obviously. Get a PC. Or wait for Scorpio. But if, next to having a PS4, the prospect of Nintendo games and playing console quality games on the go is interesting to you, get a Switch. If neither of these concepts entices you, then, what the hell are you actually doing clicking on a thread that says Nintendo console in the first place.

I'll tell you what the hell you're doing. You find this prospect terribly exciting, but either don't have the funds or mentally assigned Nintendo to irrelevancy and are now dealing with cognitive dissonance, and subsequently feel a strong urge to rationalize not getting one, as well as hoping you get peer validation here. Please don't, it's annoying.

Hahah, dude, I'm with you. I was making fun of the people who are in here saying they want PS4-2 rather than Nintendo Switch. I love my PS4, but I do not want a mimic PS4, I want a Nintendo handheld.

For the record, I have a Switch preordered with a Pro Controller, Zelda, and another set of joycons, and I can't wait for Arms.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen fast racer GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.

Not a single review in the wild and yet already they're being called GOTY contenders. I wish I could get my hands on one of these crystal balls.

Couple of things

1) The launch lineup is shit, accessories are terrible and third party support looks poor
2) He has no real idea why he's buying it.

Launch lineup is subpar, but not shit - any lineup that has Zelda is automatically not shit. Launch WINDOW is fantastic. Accessories are not terrible. They are excellent. You may think they're slightly overpriced, but they're not shit. Third party support is not surprising, but we don't know where it'll go yet.

Don't be an ass.

ramparter

Banned
- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen fast racer GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.

April is also full of GOTYs

- MK8 Deluxe: Kart Racing port with enhanced battle GOTY
- Arms: 1st person extending arms fighting GOTY

It's starting to look like it's the first console ever I'm buying at launch.

I know I'll buy it this year anyway and I have the money so eh.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the switch will be the first console i have got at day 1. closest would be PS3 which i got the weekend after launch. PS1/2/4 i never got until at least a month after. PS2 was the longest I think it was about 6 months.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Well it's a new game i can buy on a console i already own. I wish nintendo put more effort into the switch launch as I'd love to be excited for it, as it is now though it's a wait and see for me.

I'm actually quite surprised by the number of people saying 'I'm getting Switch for Zelda', as though it's a launch exclusive...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
....holy crap now that i think about it, the switch will be my first launch day console purchase aswell

Sendou

I'm actually quite surprised by the number of people saying 'I'm getting Switch for Zelda', as though it's a launch exclusive...

I'm more surprised people still want to play Wii U in 2017 if given the choice. It's not like the Switch is going to get a lot cheaper this year.

The price is definitely a downer especially in Canadian dollars (*fml*) but the rest is no big deal to me 1-2 switch should be a damn pack-in though who the eff wants that for full retail prices?!

Most handheld players have put up with far far less graphically and the switch is a massive improvement on that front. If I want cutting edge, I boot up my PC or play my PS4Pro, but honestly as I get older my time to be stationary is getting more limited, and the idea of playing games on par or above the WiiU in a handheld is really exciting.

I have so many devices for Internet and media, I'd rather just have it only play games, heck look how much ram and hard drive space gets dedicated to recording and social media crap half of us never use on the PS4, I wish I could shut that garbage off altogether and save my hard drive from recording video non-stop. (SSD am cry)

oti

Banned
I'm more surprised people still want to play Wii U in 2017 if given the choice. It's not like the Switch is going to get a lot cheaper this year.

It was actually quite smart of Nintendo to announce the DLC beforehand. If one wants to play the DLC they'd surely want to do that on Switch instead of Wii U. Unless they want to have the Wii U lying around unused for 8 months until DLC 2 hits. So this could be another incentive to just sell Wii U and games to fund the Switch purchase.

Darkman M

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think these games are trash. Doesnt matter if you get a Switch at launch or not, you need to inform yourself a bit.

The launch lineup is bad to me, it's my opinion and i'm hardly alone pipe down. Zelda looks amazing though.

daffy

Banned
Ah right, we're at this point of the Switch thread again. God forbid someone is looking forward to the thing.
Its really odd. I mean, if you aren't getting it you just aren't getting it. Why are people so adamant on voicing their dissent? Most of it is old hat, no one is saying anything new... just go play your PS4 and save your money?

shrugs

The Switch is the first console / handheld I'm getting day one ever.
Indie and Nintendo developed games are pretty much the sole reason I'm still interested in Video Games today and my time playing video games is split 50 / 50 between console/pc and handheld so getting a system that can be played both on the tv and in handheld mode is pretty much a no brainer for me.

I also like motion control gaming and the Wii is my favourite console next to the NES, so I'm glad they're bringing that back better than ever as well.

I don't think I've ever been this confident about a system purchase before.

Top Bottom