• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

I wish I have the dough to do the same OP. Switch and Zelda would cost me almost 400€.

It would have been fun to get in with the hype during the launch day.

Raylan

Banned
The Wii and the Switch are the only two consoles I did not / won't buy at launch.
A bit sad, actually :/ But I will be there in 2018 when the Switch has some games and a better price / good bundle.
Gonna play Zelda on the WiiU.

sora87

Zelda being on Wii U doesn't make the Switch version disappear tho

also it's still a new game regardless so your next bit doesn't make sense

Well it's a new game i can buy on a console i already own. I wish nintendo put more effort into the switch launch as I'd love to be excited for it, as it is now though it's a wait and see for me.

Draper

Honestly, it's a Zelda machine to me. After that, I just may resell it. Hopefully Nintendo compels me to keep it though.

jax

Banned
I get suckered in to buying systems at launch all the time. I cant help myself. Theres always that 10 month period from about 30 days after launch to the 1 year mark that it will collect dust, but I honestly find its still usually worth it to me to just have it fron Day 1. Thats when the system itself is really exciting and new and fresh. Plus its not like you dont have it later when the library matures. Having a system for its first year or two is definitely worth the $50-100 dollars Id save from waiting, for me at least. Ive got my Switch pre-ordered and Im excited as hell.

So wait, you won't be picking up Arms, Mario Kart or Splatoon?

Buying a new generation Nintendo hardware day one these days is the textbook definition of insanity, but good luck anyway OP.

I can understand not buying any console at launch, but if anything Nintendo hardware is the best out of the big 3 to buy at launch. the PS3, 360, PS4, and XBO had absolutely mediocre launches. At least Nintendo has a heavy hitter.

vern

I'll buy it as close to launch as I can. Will be first "launch" for me since Wii. Before that was GameCube and Dreamcast. Only consoles I ever got on launch. All were more than worth it. Switch I expect to be well worth it as well. Zelda and Arms and whatever indies pop up in the first months will be plenty.

Morts

After getting the Wii U at launch I swore I wouldn't do it again. On the other hand, slightly higher resolution Zelda. I'm going to get a Switch by the time Mario comes out anyway but I'm dreading resenting this machine for eight months after I finish Zelda.

I've only purchased a handful of consoles at launch. I think I got the 64 at launch, I got the GameCube at launch, I got the Wii one week after launch, and I got the PS4 at launch. Everything else has been at least a year, if not more.

I think I'd like to get the Switch at launch, but I missed the initial Amazon allotment. I'm surprised they haven't e-mailed me with more availability yet - they must have quite a few pre-orders.

dcx4610

After the Wii U I said to myself I was probably done with Nintendo (after owning them all at launch) but sure enough, the Switch won me over. What bugs me the most is everything I hated about the Wii U is pretty much being repeated here. Weak lineup, no real games I want to play outside of Zelda, underpowered hardware, most likely another 3rd party drought and another system gimmick.

Nintendo just has a way of getting me excited and wanting to support them though. I like the concept of a portable that can dock to a TV and getting the same experience. I'm still disappointed in the power of the system but as primarily a PC gamer with a PS4 and XB1 collecting dust, the Switch is interesting and different enough that I can see myself playing it on my desk with its kickstand at my computer and also taking it to work.

I'm excited and really shouldn't be. Damn you Nintendo.

Wii U had a great launch. New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land and Zombi U are some of the best games in the library and then there's some great ports like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Batman Arkham City (late port but my favourite version of the game). It isn't one of the best launches of all time but it's better than most.

Wii U's launch was pretty good. It was the long period of waiting for games after launch that was really bad. It was waiting until February for Runner 2 to come out. For physical releases, it wasn't until March that we got LEGO City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. Then, we didn't have much at all until August when Pikmin 3 came out along with New Super Luigi U (DLC for Mario U).

Not my first.

9/9/99

Super excited though. First Nintendo console since the GameCube. Zelda day 1 and the system being playable portable and on the big screen sounded amazing.

The last system I didn't get on launch was N64. Most launches have highs and lows but I don't regret getting any of them on launch. The excitement of new hardware usually outweighs the negative of a poor launch lineup/price etc.

Hattori

Banned
this will be the first console launch I can go ham on financially so I'm buying as much of the Switch library as possible 😤

Wubby

I got the PS4 and Vita at launch. I skipped buying a 3DS and Wii U so I'm itching for another Nintendo console and Mario Kart.

I'm not super excited for Zelda but I'm still buying it day one. It's fun to get new stuff at launch. I got a PS4 day one and I wasn't really that excited for it either.

yyr

Now that I'm thinking about it, the only consoles I've bought on launch day were the PSP, Vita, and Xbox One. And I've enjoyed the heck out of all 3 so far (although I guess I'm about done with the PSP by now). But honestly, I was more "cautiously optimistic" picking up each one, rather than "excited." It's risky to buy on launch day. You're paying the most and starting from zero. It may not go so well. I do agree with the folks that say Nintendo is a somewhat safe bet, but the 2017 market is so volatile that I just don't know.

Switch will be my first "at launch" console that feels special. That feeling comes 100% from being able to play Zelda on day one.

BotW looks amazing.

I am getting it day one for Zelda. Honestly, if it wasn't for that, I would have no interest buying one until the holiday season. And this is coming from someone who has purchased every Nintendo console and handheld since Gcn day one.

I will also be playing Zelda on day one, because I pre-ordered it...on Wii U.

I just don't understand these folks, especially gweemz who also could have grabbed it on Wii U. After all, apart from the fact that it won't be portable, the experience will be virtually the same.

Experiencing games and consoles as they come out is fun. Being able to talk to friends and likeminded people within the community is enjoyable and engaging. It's pleasurable to converse and socialse over a hobby, and owning the newest piece of tech provides a neat experience to share and discuss with others.

That's a logical explanation for a day one purchase. I think.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the only consoles I've bought on launch day were the PSP, Vita, and Xbox One. And I've enjoyed the heck out of all 3 so far (although I guess I'm about done with the PSP by now). But honestly, I was more "cautiously optimistic" picking up each one, rather than "excited." It's risky to buy on launch day. You're paying the most and starting from zero. It may not go so well. I do agree with the folks that say Nintendo is a somewhat safe bet, but the 2017 market is so volatile that I just don't know.

I will also be playing Zelda on day one, because I pre-ordered it...on Wii U.

I just don't understand these folks, especially gweemz who also could have grabbed it on Wii U. After all, apart from the fact that it won't be portable, the experience will be virtually the same.

My launch Wii U broke two years ago, inexplicably. Shit sat on an enclosed shelf, never moved, dusted on the weekly, babied from day one, and the gamepad just stopped connecting. Incidentally, the gamepad was treated similarly. Literally had a reasonably sealed plastic Ikea display case that it sat in when my media room was edgier.

So the TL;DR is I'm sure a lot of people who owned Wii U's at one point no longer do, and there's certainly no reason to invest in that ecosystem again right now.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Haven't been this excited since the 3DS and I got GBA, ds, 3DS, ps4, Wii U and Wii* at launch

*Shortly after launch

GBA wasn't that great but it had ports. Wii had zelda but it was just alright. Ps4 had resogun which was okay. Ds omg, ds was downright terrible at launch. Wii U was good with NSMBU. I enjoyed 3DS launch.

Cubed

I remember first reading about specs and details of the Switch a few months ago and basically thinking it was crap... until I thought of it as a handheld.

I wouldn't use this underpowered, likely-to-be-just-a-Nintendo-machine as a console on my big 4K tv... but chilling in my bed or on a long trip? It makes perfect sense there!

Not sure I'll buy it day/week/month one, but I'm at least considering it, and that's a victory for Nintendo after their lackluster launch event, imo.

Sky Chief

This is the first console in a long time that I'm not buying at launch, Zelda looks great but the launch lineup is sparse to say the least

YuShtink

So wait, you won't be picking up Arms, Mario Kart or Splatoon?

Honestly, probably not. Arms does look kinda cool (but local multiplayer seems like the big draw for that which I can't really take much advantage of) and I've heard great things about Splatoon, but it's not really my style, but perhaps I'm being ignorant. Maybe one of the two at some point.

If anything I'm slightly more interested in giving I Am Setsuna or Puyo Puyo Tetris a shot during the launch window.

I already played the heck out of Mario Kart 8 on the U so I doubt I'll pony up full price for a remake right now.

The only 2 games that are on my must buy list so far are Zelda and Mario Odyssey. But that's fine. There will be plenty more to come in due time.

And I was just generalizing, wasn't really trying to diss the Switch line-up I don't see how it's any worse than 90% of console launches in the last 20 years.

Platy

Honestly, probably not. Arms does look kinda cool (but local multiplayer seems like the big draw for that which I can't really take much advantage of) and I've heard great things about Splatoon, but it's not really my style, but perhaps I'm being ignorant. Maybe one of the two at some point.

It is a fighting game ... it will have lots of people playing online

LotusHD

Banned

Portability matters to some people, myself included. A lot of times I'm just wanting to be able to multitask when I'm playing a game. Handhelds scratch that itch, but they don't look as good as I'd like. In comes the Switch, which does what handhelds do while looking far better. I got other reasons for getting a Switch, but where Zelda is concerned.... Overall though, I didn't want a "swan song" for the Wii U, but rather a "christening" for the Switch. I've heard several sentiments along the lines of people getting Zelda for their Wii U because that's what they bought it for. But nah, I'm ready to move on.

Also it's a measly 8 GB, so with the game and DLC being a thing, may as well play it on the new shiny console.

YuShtink

It is a fighting game ... it will have lots of people playing online

True. I've just never been a big 1v1 against randoms online guy though. Fighting games, boxing games, sports games, etc. I don't even really like playing team based online multi that isn't with at least one RL friend for the most part. And none of my close friends are going to have a Switch at launch. One buddy at work is getting one but we're not realistically going to have time to play together. Hence why my focus is more toward the SP games.

Plus I already have a PS4, XB1, a gaming PC with a Rift and a Vive, a bunch of retro consoles, etc. I don't need one system's line-up to keep me busy, so I tend to be a lot more picky about what I buy software wise and only get the stuff that really tickles my fancy (sorry for the subtle brag, I sound like a douche).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think this the first system (not including later 3DS models) where I'm getting it day one.
Hold on to your butt. Despite fanboy drivel telling people otherwise I've never seen one console launch that wasn't boring after the first month lol

Meffer

Hold on to your butt. Despite fanboy drivel telling people otherwise I've never seen one console launch that wasn't boring after the first month lol

Zelda is enough for me for now and besides I have plenty of other games on different systems to help pass the time. Also I just want to get the Switch in my hands, I love handhelds.

Well it was going to be my first launch console but my hype has deflated with the lack of communication coming from Nintendo regarding OS, VC, Etc. I will probably cancel my order next week if this continues.

I will just borrow a friends Wii U to play Zelda on there and call it a day.

mstevens

I've been playing games since NES and I think this might be my first launch system ever. Everything else has been a month or so after, I think.

Darkman M

- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen fast racer GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.

lmao getting the switch at launch but those games are trash save Zelda haha.

mojo2

Neo Member
Well it was going to be my first launch console but my hype has deflated with the lack of communication coming from Nintendo regarding OS, VC, Etc. I will probably cancel my order next week if this continues.

I will just borrow a friends Wii U to play Zelda on there and call it a day.

I bought Wii U and 3DS on launch and was going to buy Switch even after swearing I wouldn't buy launch ever again, but now I've had enough of this. It's 2017 and I'm not going to watch YouTube-hands-on-videos from random "vloggers" to get info about the OS and voice chat implementation etc.

I'll get it with Mario.

I feel exactly the same way you do. I still have serious problems with Nintendo's bullshit (no browser, Netflix, Streetpass), but the Switch does excite me. The 3 different control options right out of the box is part of that, along with the sleek look of it and portability. Zelda is taking up at least half of the hype though. I think launching with just that is very smart on Nintendo's part, whether it was a choice they wanted to make or not.

With the hype this has on Gaf and the momentum of Pokemon Go and NES Classic, I don't see how anyone expects this to be anything but an massive success for Nintendo.

I bought Wii U and 3DS on launch and was going to buy Switch even after swearing I wouldn't buy launch ever again, but now I've had enough of this. It's 2017 and I'm not going to watch YouTube-hands-on-videos from random "vloggers" to get info about the OS and voice chat implementation etc.

I'll get it with Mario.

You are completely justified in feeling this way. I'll be pissed if they really let this thing launch without having another direct.

Nintendo Switch could be the first console I'd have bought at launch, but as I am currently in the army, I won't be able to buy one till December :( I'm definitely getting one the very moment I leave the barracks - Switch won me over since the reveal.

weekev

Banned
I've been day 1 PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS,WiiU and now Switch. I never regret day 1 purchase. I think this time is different because Nintendo have manufactured it so there is no post launch lull. 2 weeks to go.

essenn

- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen fast racer GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.

Buying all of these except 1, 2 Switch, will get Shovel Knight instead since I haven't played it

Really, it's about the games and how much time you spend playing the thing over the course of its life. Everything else is just window dressing. Droughts don't matter if you have other platforms . My backlog on that PC will never not be stupid, for example.

Zelda is going to be best on switch. And I know there will be enough other stuff that I'll get that it's going to pay for itself many times over. No reason to not just buy at launch.

As a side note, there's never been a console I didn't find something horribly clunky about from an OS or implementation perspective. In the case of PS4, for example, it's mandatory installs, piss poor download performance and shit controller battery life. None of that stops me from enjoying the thing immensely. Obsessing over details like this keeps your eye off the important stuff. AKA the games.

Don't expect another direct before launch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
First console I'm seriously on the fence about (bought everything day 2 for the last several generations). didn't preorder at first; then preordered and cancelled less than a day later; currently have a neon preorder at amazon. Partly been burned by Nintendo prices before (3DS), poor launch line up, too many games to play already, horizon coming out at the same time.

But then I bought shit like the CD32 at launch. And even if I don't play Zelda immediately, if there is a stock shortage for a couple of months after launch and the price doesn't drop, I might as well have it ready to go rather than have to hunt one down.

Still unsure.

Branduil

The Switch will be my first launch-day console since the Wii... Coincidentally also the last console with a new Zelda on day one.

daffy

Banned
I love handhelds. I've been there at launch for essentially all of them since I became a console buyer. Last system I bought at launch was the Vita. So obviously I'll be there for the Switch. I really can't maintain my energy these days gaming at home even when my friends are pushing me to play online at night. I have an X1 that I bought for Tomb Raider and I'll be getting a PS4 for Red Dead 2. But for me Switch is a no brainer, along with Zelda!

I have summer vacation in 3 months that I need to save up for. I'm moving across the country later this year and am financially unprepared. But you all know how it is, i needs me a Switch :p

Top Bottom