• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nah, even in the category terms you've defined isn't likely to happen. Out of all those, only 1 2 Switch might be nominated for something. Let's not get too crazy here.
I think they are. Now how worth to you are these niche categories is another question.

MrPanic

My last (and probably only) console I got on launch day was the Wii, and that happened only on accident as there was a real drought of Wii's available on launch, but I just happened to walk into the one store that had one left, so my desire senses were tingling.

I will try to get the Switch on launch though, I didn't preorder because I wanna try my luck at stores again. The Switch just looks like such a fancy device, I just want to have it even if there's barely anything to play on it.

OP, there is never a clear logical reason to buy a console at launch.

It will never be more expensive and have less games than now. It has yet to prove it can build a decent userbase and there might be hardware issues we aren't even aware about (like the RROD).

But it's fine to be excited for the console. I got a Ps4 at launch (my first launch console ever) and even though the first year was pretty bad it was still fun and exciting to be part of this new gen in its early days.
And Switch also has Zelda which might end up being one of the best games of recent years.

I'll give you a clear logical reason.

I'm a multiplatform owner so buying a console from a major player in the market is a given for me because in the last several decades there has never been a system that didn't have something worth playing on it and never a system that didn't have more than one game playing on it either. So I know there will be something to play on the system. Heck, in the first year there's clearly a few games already. So buying the system is a given, especially to play Nintendo first party games since you can't play them anywhere else. So because of that, why wait? Why is paying $300 now worse than paying $300 in a year or two? What do I gain by waiting? I know I lose that period of time to use the system by not buying it at launch, but what do I really gain? On top of that, in the history of video game consoles, revisions tend to take away functionality, so by missing out on launch systems, you might miss out on something that is taken away later. There's a long history of console manufacturers taking away things in revisions and cost cutting measures.

I think they are. Now how worth to you are these niche categories is another question.

I'm buying several of those games but I'm under no disillusion that they'll be GOTY material in their respective categories. It's great that you think they will be, but most other people won't view them in the same light, nor will they be nominated at the end of the year as such.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I've got one + Zelda ready for launch. Not my first launch. I was there for the SNES,N64, and 3DS too, but it's definitely exciting. My Zelda hype levels are at Mario 64 heights.

J@hranimo

Banned
I see what you mean OP. Zelda is looking pretty damn incredible though and I'm fully ready to make the switch. This will be my first console I buy at launch personally. Last console I got the closest to launch was the GameCube, and that was Christmas 2001.

Exciting times are ahead :)

Can't wait for the Switch, day 1. I've held out on Nintendo for so long, since the N64, and I'm ready to catch up. Zelda looks unreal. Disliked Skyrim, HATED Witcher, but Zelda looks like the open world fantasy game I've been waiting for.

I'm fully onboard with the docking handheld idea. Only a quarter of my gaming habits are big budget demanding blockbusters. I'll keep my PS4 Pro for those, but I'm probably going to move everything else to Switch. Specifically stuff like Rocket League, Stardew Valley will be PERFECT on it.

herod

- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen fast racer GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.
when you have to invent categories, you know you're a blowhard, right? you're self aware of this?

marc^o^

when you have to invent categories, you know you're a blowhard, right? you're self aware of this?
It looks like I'm in a minority to look at things like this, in terms of use cases. Playing in 4P splitscreen in one occasion, in 8P LAN in another context. I couldn't think of 5 other puzzle games as promising as Snipperclips, or 5 other party games released this year.

My post responded to someone saying there will be 3 games at most worth it this year. I offered my view on why there are 6 games already worth it at launch month, and I explained you through categories the use case I foresee, in my - different than yours - world.

psyfi

Banned
Can't wait for the Switch, day 1. I've held out on Nintendo for so long, since the N64, and I'm ready to catch up. Zelda looks unreal. Disliked Skyrim, HATED Witcher, but Zelda looks like the open world fantasy game I've been waiting for.
I feel you on that last bit. I loved Skyrim, but man did it have its faults. Most other open world fantasy games (and open world games in general) have fallen really flat for for me though, including The Witcher 3. BOTW is the Zelda game I've been dreaming about since I was a kid (for like twenty years!), and I'm hoping it'll spice up open world game design a bit.

Sendou

I'm more excited for the hardware than software atm. First real system seller for me is Splatoon 2. I mean I'll have fun with Zelda, Snipperclips, Binding of Isaac, ARMS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Tetris etc. in the meanwhile but I'm very much buying into future games.

Woah, I just realized that the Switch will be my first 'at launch' console ever... and I've been playing games since my sisters got me an used SNES back in 98'

Luqi

This will be my first console on launch ever.

Grew up on Brazil, where accessibility was very limited - currently living in the US excited to play Zelda, excited to own a portable / console mix, excited about Switch general's future as I was with Wii.

Hope Nintendo doesn't flake the system and give it an awesome support as they do with 3DS.

I got a ps4 on launch, but I'm definitley more excited for a switch than I've been for any hardware in ages. I'm tired of most AAA games, and just want a return to fun and creativity. I'm dearly hoping strange Japanese games come flooding in to complement the Nintendo lineup. 100% totally okay with hardware that isn't as powerful as ps4 and One if it brings fun and weirdness on the go.

The Switch will be my first "at launch" Nintendo console ever, with my other launch buy-ins being the PS4 and the Vita.

In all cases, there was something exciting about the hardware that caused me to need it day one:
with PS4, it was built-up fatigue over the length of the PS360 generation. With the PSV, it was the promise of "console gaming" on the go (a promise that was generally left unfulfilled, although I'm more than content with the niche gaming monster we ended up getting).

With the Switch, I feel Nintendo has a shot at achieving what Sony attempted twice but didn't quite hit - the console experience, made portable. Portability can do a lot to make up for a huge power gap, at least in my use case (ex. buying World of Final Fantasy and Digimon for Vita instead of PS4, despite having both), and if we get the 3DS-style library of quirky, portable-oriented games as well, the system has a good shot of carving out a niche.

This will be my second time getting a new console at launch. Last time was with PS4, and man was it so exciting...only to go home and BF4 was ass online lol. The rest was awesome though.

With the Switch, I had one preordered but was going back and forward because I'm broke. My mom is in the room as I'm asking my sister if I should cancel (maybe she wanted it for herself). "Did you want it?" "Not really..." "would you like it for a graduation gift?" I'm graduating from college in 3 months.

My mommy is buying me a Nintendo and I don't give a fuck, this is as awesome as when my parents got me my N64 for Christmas. Hell, this will be my first time playing a new Zelda since Wind Waker

Damn right I'm excited

Felensis

Banned
I'm super excited as well, OP. I'm a Nintendo fan since my early childhood. My first console ever was a NES and since then, even though I played on most other systems out there, Nintendo has a very special place in my heart. Owned every console from Nintendo except the Virtual Boy (which wasn't released in Europe).

I owned a N64, DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U and now Switch from Day 1 and I couldn't be more excited. I was lucky enough to get a chance of visiting a Preview Fan Event in Munich for the Switch and so I already could get my hands on the systems and most of the upcoming (launch) games.

Can't wait to play Zelda at home and on the go traveling to and back from work!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
since there has been some discussion about the cost of games, here is what I have bought and what I have paid for each game:

OS4MDWg.gif

LOZ Breath of the Wild: $43.02

0wdbrSV.gif

1-2-Switch: $31.87

6lPq2hc.gif

Puyo Puyo Tetris: $25.49

uQIPvDO.gif

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+: $26.55

Prices include tax. Got these prices with GCU + Visa checkout deal.

hatchx

Banned
I'm more excited for BOTW than any other game on the WiiU other than BOTW.

But now I get to play on an updated version that can be played portably too, or play it Wii remote 2-handed style, or with the return of asynchronous analogs.

So I'm pretty happy about that.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
But now I get to play on an updated version that can be played portably too, or play it Wii remote 2-handed style, or with the return of asynchronous analogs.

asymmetric! I'm assuming they'll be synchronized :D

They should've called it the Nintendo freedom I don't think I fully realize how much freedom this new systems going to give me to play my games anywhere with anyone

OCD Guy

Ignoring my avatar this is the first piece of gaming hardware I've been legitimately excited for in sometime, and I buy all hardware.

The last hardware I was equally excited for was the Xbox 360, and before that the N64.

I canceled my Switch order a couple of days ago because the only reason I wanted one was exactly because it was new tech - but not because I looked forward to the software. In fact, the games announced for the Switch were the big turn off.If I wanted to play the new Zelda I could get it for my Wii U instead and that was one of my Nintendo consoles that I hardly ever turned on. The only Nintendo game I absolutely loved was Xenoblade, a game I started and finished on my PC using an emulator.

The Switch is not for me. I won't ever use it out and about, I only play games at home on my big screen HDTV. It has tons of functionality I don't care for (HD Rumble), it's underpowered, it won't have enough software I'd like to play, etc etc. It will just be a $300 paperweight,so why keep the pre-order?

Well reasoned, and the general way of going about justifying a day one purchase. This is actually what caused me to eventually sell my PS4 - my PC was more valuable to me. And I was HYPED for the PS4. It just took longer to get there than I wanted. I'll get another one at some point, but right now my plate is at a comfortable level.

You are buying a console that has three games worth playing this year at best, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario in the fall. If you aren't frothing at the mouth for Zelda the Switch is probably the best console in recent history to wait to buy. Lack of games and overpriced means that in 12 - 18 months it will probably get a price drop and finally have enough games to be worth buying. Just flip your preorder and be patient.

I'll never understand people that insist on marking their opinions as how others do or should feel.

Just say what you mean, man. You don't have to tell others what to do. ;)

since there has been some discussion about the cost of games, here is what I have bought and what I have paid for each game:

OS4MDWg.gif

LOZ Breath of the Wild: $43.02

0wdbrSV.gif

1-2-Switch: $31.87

6lPq2hc.gif

Puyo Puyo Tetris: $25.49

uQIPvDO.gif

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+: $26.55

Prices include tax. Got these prices with GCU + Visa checkout deal.
Where did you order these from?

marc^o^

I'm more excited for BOTW than any other game on the WiiU other than BOTW.

So I'm pretty happy about that.
TV screen with Wii remote 2-handed style
Tabletop with Wii remote 2-handed style
TV screen with Pro Controller or Grip
Tabletop with Pro Controller or Grip
Handheld

How I'll set up my Zelda will depend on when and where I play. I could see myself trying all these during the course of my completion.

Someone said freedom. It's looking like that, in a sense. It's a set of choices we're given, which can each be optimal in specific contexts.

PS4 was my first launch console and I'll honest. Switch has the better launch line up (exclusive wise). Obviously even if the PS4 had barely anything during the first couple of months it was obvious that it was going to pay off in the future thanks to 3rd party games.

For Switch, well, I hope Nintendo brings their A game and open up those wallets for 3rd party exclusives. Anyways I'm hyped for Zelda for the Switch.

MEsoJD

Banned
For a console who won't garner much third party support, a new online service, expensive peripherals, an entry price that should be $50 less, etc... It's a big gamble. Also Breath of the Wild is coming to WiiU as well so why are people buying this? I don't know man. Things look bad. I guarantee you if this thing isn't a hit by next year, it will be the last Nintendo home console.

marc^o^

For a console who won't garner much third party support, a new online service, expensive peripherals, an entry price that should be $50 less, etc... It's a big gamble. Also Breath of the Wild is coming to WiiU as well so why are people buying this? I don't know man. Things look bad. I guarantee you if this thing isn't a hit by next year, it will be the last Nintendo home console.
And if it's a hit, would you get one? Are you opened to the idea, system could become a complementary system for you?

Apharmd

Bruh, like half of the things you put down are armchair arbitrary predictions. When those are the reasons you put down, of course there will be people who think differently.

- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen fast racer GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.

9sxHPBx.jpg

gogogow

Lol, "guarantee", sure. The only thing that's preventing this from being a hit is the price. If it's not selling as Nintendo has hoped, they will cut the price (drastically), like the 3DS, to make sure it's gonna sell. This thing will have mainline Pokemon games, mainline Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon etc. and most if not all the third parties that was at least on 3DS.

borges

Banned
... and I wish I had clear, logical justification for it.

On paper, it is systematically worse to buy a console at launch. There is so much uncertainty about what the product is like, there are fewer games, and I'm paying MSRP (for the console, at least).

With PS4Pro and Scorpio, probably not any longer.

mindatlarge

Nintendo did an excellent job of making me want one, all through the process. Keeping such a tight lip through the NX period then up to that damn commercial...which made me want one even more, I can't remember being more pumped for a system.

I was a bit disappointed by the Switch conference, but my expectations were through the roof due to all the hype. Not sure what I really expected, but in the end, I per-ordered one too. Like yourself, I don't per-order consoles very often but at this point, I'm too invested not to get it day one.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm really excited for the hardware and the potential. Never been this excited for a new bit of tech in ages. However I just know if have regrets as I'm not a huge Zelda fan and the Switch will collect dust after the initial excitement wears off of having something new. Let me get this straight Zelda is still a must buy for me but not a day 1 must buy like many people.

The launch line up doesn't excite me at all.

jariw

I want quite a few of the known 1st party (Zelda, Snipperclips, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey in particular) and 3rd party titles this year, it seems. Enough titles for me to safely get the system at launch.

Will probably double-dip and get MK8 Deluxe as well at some point.

It seems like a perfect system for me to bring to work for playing with coworkers during the breaks, play at home on the big screen, or as a good portable console on travels. The HD Rumble seems like cool tech as well.

Indelible

The Switch will be the first Nintendo console I buy at launch, I'am very intrigued by the hardware and I have to play the best version of Breath of the Wild.

Magnus

... and I wish I had clear, logical justification for it.

On paper, it is systematically worse to buy a console at launch. There is so much uncertainty about what the product is like, there are fewer games, and I'm paying MSRP (for the console, at least).

Despite all this, I am so excited for the Switch. I guess this is unreasonably excited, right?

I have a general idea of what I'll be getting on March 3rd, but one thing I can't quite put into words is that it's exciting to be invested in the next few years of what Nintendo will do with the console. It could be a horrible dumpster fire of support, or it could be rad. There's something exciting about not knowing right now, and I'm glad I get to be a part of a group of early adopters for this dumb, irrational ride we've invested in.

Yes, this is where I'm at for this one mentally. Although I actually bought the Wii, PS3, PS4, GBA, DS, PSP, and 3DS at launch too. Lol. (And NOT the PS2! Haha)

I only want Zelda at launch, and I actually have a Wii U, but I'm still fucking do it. And the reason is:

Buying things is fun, new technology is exciting.

burst

You're just trying to fill the dark void that is existence,for a few hours, with a product. I feel you man.

Same for me OP.

I love my Wii U so I am not worried about getting my monies worth out of the system. As long as they keep putting out great 1st party content I won't complain.

OCD Guy

The only real point that's valid is lack of third party support, and that only really applies to "AAA" third party support.

I don't agree about the point with regards to price of the unit or accessories, as the Xbox and PlayStation weren't cheap and their accessories certainly weren't. Gaming isn't a cheap hobby on the whole.

In terms of sales I'd be inclined to think that it will still do terribly on the whole, although I can see it doubling Wii U sales. But you can never tell, it's certainly not people on forums like this that will have any major effect. It's how Joe Bloggs sees the console, so time will tell. Unfortunately in the UK Joe Bloggs didn't really know the Wii U existed, those that did thought it was an accessory for their Wii console that was covered in dust, and the supermarkets cleared their shelves of anything Wii U related pretty sharply.

For many people on the forum that are buying with their eyes wide open, the worst case scenario is that it ends up being another Wii U which won't be a major problem for many, they'll get to enjoy a fair amount of Nintendo games.

The positive thing is that ultimately if Nintendo do shit or not, sell a million or 100 million (never happening) I'll get my money's worth out of the first year line up.

This is the first time I'm getting a console at launch (not including PS4 Pro)! I'm excited, yet not as much as I should probably be considering it's about two weeks away. The reason is that I keep forgetting that it is so close. I'm hoping for some sort of news on Friday :)

Top Bottom