• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You are buying a console that has three games worth playing this year at best, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario in the fall. If you aren't frothing at the mouth for Zelda the Switch is probably the best console in recent history to wait to buy. Lack of games and overpriced means that in 12 - 18 months it will probably get a price drop and finally have enough games to be worth buying. Just flip your preorder and be patient.

Arms isn't worth playing? Game looks really fun!

degoose

Neo Member
Last at launch console/handheld I bought was the vita and none before that. I've got the switch pre-ordered as well and I am pretty damn excited ,it just has a lot of things I've wanted in a handheld in ages and is also a console when docked. Zelda looks amazing and Mario odyssey looks like a proper follow up to mario galaxy,for some it might not be the console they are looking for but for me it's ideal.

Kureransu

let's see

- revision A design and QC issues
- initial high price and lack of games
- beta online experience
- could end up a total flop
- no idea if any launch games are worth buying

those are the obvious ones

The chances of revision are very slim. Barring the Wii mini, they haven't done a revsion on a home console since SNES.

I'm sorry but 299 isn't a high price for this product. You can comparing it to 3.5 year old hardware doesn't invalidate it's price.

The good news is you don't have to pay for it. you have a good 3-6 months for them to get it right if it isn't then you can decide if you want it.

Sure anything can be a total flop, nothing is guaranteed, but you know would would guarantee it? No one buying because they are waiting to see if it is worth getting.

You can do plenty of research and see for yourself if a game fits you to be honest. you know what you like and there has been plenty of info floating around to give you an idea.

All that said, it's perfectly fine to not buy the system day one. But don't mock the early adopters, they are the ones who drives the initial success of a console, which works out for you, the guy who invest when it's fruitful. Let us early adopters enjoy the hype, you'll be looking to us to see if this thing is worth your dollars, after all. As well as the developers on the fence of producing software for it.

You are buying a console that has three games worth playing this year at best, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario in the fall.

ARMS will be cool as hell and Xenoblade 2 is a 2017 title.
there will be smaller titles that are good as well like Snipperclips and some indie stuff to play on the go.

sure there will be some additional announcements for the holidays.
that's at least 5 premium titles in 9 months. good enough for me.

You are buying a console that has three games worth playing this year at best, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario in the fall. If you aren't frothing at the mouth for Zelda the Switch is probably the best console in recent history to wait to buy. Lack of games and overpriced means that in 12 - 18 months it will probably get a price drop and finally have enough games to be worth buying. Just flip your preorder and be patient.

Most consoles are overpriced and have an average-at-best line up at launch and normally I wait because I can live without the launch titles. I can't think of a launch title in recent memory that comes close to Botw in terms of making me want to buy a new console at launch and it's the main reason I'm buying it. I'd agree though that if Zelda's not your bag, other than being stark raving mad, you should probably wait after first checking yourself into the nearest mental asylum.

My first since Gamecube I think....I got a PS3 in 2010, Wii in 2011, 3DS several years late, and Wii U was a bit late as well. It will be fun to get on at launch! When I think about it....the Gamecube is the only console I ever got at launch, all the ones before it where long after launch as well.

I'm looking forward to Zelda but not the system so much. Still ready to cancel my Switch Amazon pre-order if anymore negative news drops (like the no streaming services thing).

Yeah towards the middle or end of their lifecycle. Too many droughts on Nintendo hardware. Which is why I'm getting a Switch towards the end of its cycle.

why do droughts matter that much when you want to buy it anyway?
the amount of money i would have saved buying the switch at the end of the cycle is minuscule in the grander scheme of things and in no relation to all the fun i had playing the games over that time.

phanphare

Banned

at best? lol, ok

I'll probably have more than three games worth playing before March is even over

After the 3DS's horrific launch period I decided to not do launches unless they had a solid lineup planned for the first 6 months of their life. Didn't get a Wii U until Mario Kart 8, and got a PS4 a year and a half ago. When Nintendo's Switch presentation was extremely lackluster after all the hype buildup from the previous couple of months, I really debated on whether or not I would get one. I decided to do so in the end if only because I don't want to play Breath of the Wild on Wii U and because I knew I wanted to play Splatoon 2 and ARMS as early as possible (and hopefully before the online subscription kicks in). I'm really excited but a lot of that comes from just having new tech to play around with since many of the platform's features (or lack thereof) are either negative or still unexplained.

herod

The chances of revision are very slim. Barring the Wii mini, they haven't done a revsion on a home console since SNES.

I'm sorry but 299 isn't a high price for this product. You can comparing it to 3.5 year old hardware doesn't invalidate it's price.

The good news is you don't have to pay for it. you have a good 3-6 months for them to get it right if it isn't then you can decide if you want it.

Sure anything can be a total flop, nothing is guaranteed, but you know would would guarantee it? No one buying because they are waiting to see if it is worth getting.

You can do plenty of research and see for yourself if a game fits you to be honest. you know what you like and there has been plenty of info floating around to give you an idea.

All that said, it's perfectly fine to not buy the system day one. But don't mock the early adopters, they are the ones who drives the initial success of a console, which works out for you, the guy who invest when it's fruitful. Let us early adopters enjoy the hype, you'll be looking to us to see if this thing is worth your dollars, after all. As well as the developers on the fence of producing software for it.
no, i meant launch hardware issues. like the 3ds screen scratches. cosmetic and teething issues, not aesthetic remakes. God forbid, rrod type issues.

and for prices i meant games. why buy games at day one prices? it's just impatience. Precisely one of those launch games is likely worth paying day one prices for.

jax

Banned
You're excited because it marks the dawn of a new era. Microsoft and Sony are already scrambling to create portables with similar technology. They won't be as good. Nintendo just lapped the competition. I'll echo what I've said before: Wii 2. Both in concept and future sales.

First console at launch and I can. Not. Wait. My birthday is this month and it's just getting in the way of my Switch Neon.

I'm pretty sure BotW is my first at-launch game, too.

Ulf3000

Banned
the hype is so unreal, i wasn´t this excited since forever
reddit switch is completely going insane , in the good way too, and thats a really huge forum ..

im really hyped just playing outside and in the car , since recent years most big pc games were super boring for me and i played almost only wii emulator ps2 emulator psp emulator and some fresh beatemups and fast paced arcarde style indy games, so the switch is more or less perfect for me

. i have most of teh big releases but only played gta5 and just cause3 with fun really. even shadow warrior 2 is only a shadow of teh first part while it got all the bells n whistles it lost it magic. planetside2 in big battle was also fun

jax

Banned
15 days.

Before we know it we will be deep into Hyrule.

The hype levels are insane. I don't remember console hype this high since the Wii/PS3 era.

oneida

no, i meant launch hardware issues. like the 3ds screen scratches. cosmetic and teething issues, not aesthetic remakes. God forbid, rrod type issues.

and for prices i meant games. why buy games at day one prices? it's just impatience. Precisely one of those launch games is likely worth paying day one prices for.

With GCU I get 20% off all games and since I have a real job a $10 price drop isn't worth waiting for the game to become irrelevant. It's fun to discuss a game that's just come out on, say, an internet forum

To each their own. I think anyone making an informed decision based on their likes and preferences should go right ahead.

I got the Wii, and the 3DS on launch. Haven't picked other systems up at launch, and I won't be nabbing a Switch on launch either.

For me to make a decision, Nintendo needs to release more info. I just wish their attitude towards their prospective audience was a little more friendly and informing. Not saying I will not buy it, but right now...not so much. I hope that everyone who does, however, has a blast.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you think you'll buy into a console within the first 12 months, then buying at launch can be a reasonable option even if the launch lineup is slim.

- you get the buzz of being involved in the launch
- you get immediate access to at least one game you want to play

If the price of entry doesn't change in that first year then it doesn't matter if it sits unused for a few months - you're paying the same amount to jump in and you can enjoy each new release as it comes out. Assuming many of us have multiple devices to play on, the gaps are easy to fill with other games.

Apharmd

I'm going to be honest. Nagoshi being on stage and raw-ass unfinished footage that just shows ATLUS is doing SOMETHING with Shin Megami Tensei on Switch sold me. I'm perfectly aware this is irrational as hell, but I was already really tipping over for BOTW anyway. So that's my number one reason. BOTW is number two.

Number three is forcing my friends to play 1, 2 Switch's milking game.

Number four is hardware sexiness.

I'm paying $36 for Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart. I'm paying $30 for 1 2 Switch and Bomberman. Also, I'm paying only $24 for Puyo Puyo Tetris. All of them on day one. Day one prices seem pretty good to me.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm kinda with the OP. The last time I was this hyped for a console was the PS2. There's just so much potential packed into this little system. I'm thinking a lot of the naysayers are going to be surprised at the support it receives.

Ulf3000

Banned
Absolutely, but I'm concerned about how little we've heard about the Switch version.

They used to say "not long after the platform launch" but lately they've been saying "later in the year."

I want to play this portable to bring back the Castlevania DS memories but I don't want to wait too long.

that game will rock bad .. looks like castlevania x metroid + then some with really tight gameplay

Personally, I would advice against buying launch consoles nowadays.

With Nintedo pulling the plug early on WII U, Sony and Microsoft rendering launch hardware obsolete with PS Pro and Scorpion... I'd say it's a terrible time to be an early adopter.

The only two consoles I bought at launch were the PS2 and PS4 myself. PS2 because it was the clear cut industry leader at the time and it felt like a safe bet... That said, it litterally took like six months to me even getting a game for the console because none of the launch titles appealed to me, and I had three PS2 develop disk read errors in the first few years... Not saying it's strictly because I was an early adopter, but It sure as hell is risky getting launch hardware.

PS3 I skipped because of inflated price point, but when I did buy one, I got YLOD a couple years later due to their stupid decision to use non-lead based thermal paste... Once again , could have been avoided by not getting launch model units and waiting for a slim redesign.

PS4 I got at launch because I basically preordered two consoles and sold the other one on ebay for a semi-decent profit, and Sony had ticked all the boxes to win that generation by a huge margin (XBOX one's DRM kinect fiasco). Still, had launch controllers break down over the years due to using crappy rubber on the analogue sticks and having design flaws in the shoulder buttons, plus I had to open my PS4 twice already to change thermal paste due to them putting terrible thermal paste that dries too fast. Otherwise, it would probably be dead by now.... Makes you wonder if Sony learned anything after last gen YLOD fiasco.

My point being, I'd say for the most part , getting launch units have always caused trouble for me. Next gen, I'll wait for a price drop / redesign... Heck, I'm probably going to drop console gaming altogether now that we're getting side-upgrades every two years. I was okay paying 400 ish bucks every nine years for consoles, but I'm not okay buying launch hardware that's barely supported for two years before being rendered obsolete. I'll game on the PC, then when the hardware is battle proven and cheaper, I'll snatch all the "greatest hits" for next to nothing and enjoy the games I've been missing over the years.

I'm paying $36 for Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart. I'm paying $30 for Puyo Puyo Tetris and Bomberman. All of them on day one. Day one prices seem pretty good to me.

This is the main reason I buy so many things on day one. Best Buy GCU + Visa checkout deals give me games on day one for almost half price. Depending on the title, I can usually sell those games back for just about what I paid for them.

On Xbox One I use Bing rewards to get free games/Xbox Live. The only thing you really can't find a discount on at launch is hardware and accessories.

ramparter

Banned
Buying things is fun, new technology is exciting.

I agree. The only reason I don't buy stuff at launch is because I don't feel like wasting money. So as long as money isn't an issue I say just buy whatever you feel like. Worst case scenario you will sell it for a small loss.

I'm paying $36 for Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart. I'm paying $30 for Puyo Puyo Tetris and Bomberman. All of them on day one. Day one prices seem pretty good to me.
Where is that magical place you live in? :(

It's going to be my first launch day since the 360.

Wasn't actually planning on getting it, but EB Games (Australia) was running a very aggressive trade in deal, so I offloaded my N3DS and a few games and got like, >$300 off the asking price.

Haven't had a home Nintendo console since the gamecube, and Zelda looks amazing so I went for it. The hybrid concept looks like good fun, and the sparse line up doesn't worry me too much, I don't have enough time to play through too many games a year now anyway.

Kureransu

Ah, from that persepctive, i can understand. I've not had issues with Nintendo hardware in the past for the most part, and i only think of 2 really extreme cases (DRE and RROD), I experience RROD of but was with an elite 360 years after launch, so I'm not so sure if waiting is worth the chance your system malfunctions. MS was pretty prompt getting me a new system, it was annoying, but nothing soured me.

You may not have noticed, but a lot of people (including me is using Amazon Prime memberships to purchase games. Right now all switch games are 20%, so for me, zelda was $48, Bomberman was $40, and 1,2 switch was $40, but it was gifted to me, So i pre ordered Disgaea 5 complete for $48 as well. Others are using Visa checkout with best buy So i'm not paying a single day one price for anything, and i think quite a few are following suit.

EDIT

Personally, I would advice against buying launch consoles nowadays.

With Nintedo pulling the plug early on WII U, Sony and Microsoft rendering launch hardware obsolete with PS Pro and Scorpion... I'd say it's a terrible time to be an early adopter.

PS3 I skipped because of inflated price point, but when I did buy one, I got YLOD a couple years later due to their stupid decision to use non-lead based thermal paste.

I mean we all know the Wii U is pretty much done, but with zelda being released will mean it was supported for 4.33 years, which isn't horribly bad at all.

I completely forgot about the YLOD...

You're excited because it marks the dawn of a new era. Microsoft and Sony are already scrambling to create portables with similar technology. They won't be as good. Nintendo just lapped the competition. I'll echo what I've said before: Wii 2. Both in concept and future sales.

Ehhhh I don't know about that. I'm hyped and I think that most the Switch's appeal lies in something that Nintendo refuses to acknowledge, and that the system as it is now will make little impact comparative to its potential. Making a platform that works on flexible hardware that can be put into a variety of form factors is part of a larger trend in tech today that can be seen in Apple's devices (iOS, watchOS, and tvOS are all very similar and span a wide variety of devices), Google's OS (Android on phones/tablets, Android Wear, Android TV, Android Auto, Android apps on Chrome, Andromeda/Fuschia in the future), and Microsoft's Windows (Windows is on tablets, laptops, PCs, was/sorta is on phones, sort of Xbox One). However, Nintendo's target market has largely been eroded by these aforementioned platforms, especially the former two, and trying to convince them to pay $300 for a device with $60 games is going to be tough.

I don't think that it'll be the Switch itself that will make Wii like sales. It'll be the combination of its cheap successors/hardware siblings that are aggressively priced with a better selection of titles 2 years from now. If they could get a $130 TV box out there that plays Switch games with Mario Kart bundled in, or a smaller 3DS-like clamshell model for $179, that's where we'll start seeing Wii like numbers because the price of admission to Nintendo's software library will be much more palatable to parents. Only then will Nintendo be able to get back the blue ocean market imo.

oneida

OP, are you doing the right thing and buy the grey version?

I am not.

uC37eT0.gif

Wil348

in 12 - 18 months it will probably get a price drop

Very unlikely, even if the system doesn't do well. The Wii U's price got cut by $50 in total over its entire lifetime. I don't expect Switch to get a substantial price drop for a very long time, in fact, I think it's more likely that they will bundle in a game with the regular SKU and keep the price at $299 while introducing a handheld only SKU for $249.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen fast racer GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm getting pretty close to Wii vibes. Which means Nintendo may well be sitting on another slamdunk. Of course Zelda does that for me, but the 'multiplayer wherever you go' has the potential to become a breakaway hit.
Last consoles I bought at launch were Wii, PS4 and Switch.

Cyborg

- Zelda : GOTY contender
- 1,2 Switch: party GOTY (by default)
- Bomberman : 8 Player 2D GOTY contender
- Snipperclips: Puzzle GOTY contender
- Fast RMX: 4P splitscreen GOTY (by default)
- Snake Pass: most original GOTY contender

These highly different games release in March, they are all worth getting.

You my friend are living in a other world. Im buying Switch only for Zelda and the rest.... no way in hell they will be GOTY material

SiDCrAzY

My first was the Vita, Switch will be the second.

I really love my Vita sooo, I hope Switch will be the same.(not sales wise though :))

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You my friend are living in a other world. Im buying Switch only for Zelda and the rest.... no way in hell they will be GOTY material
In the terms I defined (contenders in specific categories), it highlights why one could see this variety of games worth it.

Theonik

If you exclude the PS4 Pro I think the last one I did was the Vita? Still really excited for the switch probably staying Day 1 but been deal hunting.

In the terms I defined (contenders in specific categories), it highlights why one could see this variety of games worth it.

Nah, even in the category terms you've defined isn't likely to happen. Out of all those, only 1 2 Switch might be nominated for something. Let's not get too crazy here.

Fbh

OP, there is never a clear logical reason to buy a console at launch.

It will never be more expensive and have less games than now. It has yet to prove it can build a decent userbase and there might be hardware issues we aren't even aware about (like the RROD).

But it's fine to be excited for the console. I got a Ps4 at launch (my first launch console ever) and even though the first year was pretty bad it was still fun and exciting to be part of this new gen in its early days.
And Switch also has Zelda which might end up being one of the best games of recent years.

Top Bottom