• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

schopaia

as far as buying a console at launch goes Nintendo is the safest bet in the biz, so you'll be fine in that regard

I mean, the Wii U was a historic flop and they still put out tons of great games on the thing so whatever happens you know you'll be getting that Nintendo goodness for at least a few years

I can't wait. I just want to hold the thing. it's an incredibly enticing piece of hardware on its own.

Tell that to DS and 3DS launch buyers! Switch does seem like a better bet - and I definitely missed out on a lot of fun times with wii u (like the first year of splatoon) with very minimal $ savings by waiting until last year to buy one.

OCD Guy

This is the first time I'm getting a console at launch (not including PS4 Pro)! I'm excited, yet not as much as I should probably be considering it's about two weeks away. The reason is that I keep forgetting that it is so close. I'm hoping for some sort of news on Friday :)

A Nintendo direct giving us a proper look at the U.I and informing us more of core features at launch would help build the excitement more.

phanphare

Banned
actually yeah thinking about it this is the first console I've actually pre ordered ahead of launch. the other consoles I bought at launch I didn't actually pre order, those being the DS, Wii (lucked out, wasn't going to get one and the people in line in front of me left for some reason so I got the last or second to last one can't remember), and the Wii U. I did get a 3DS before the price drop and qualified as an ambassador but not at launch. I believe I waited for OoT 3D.

Tell that to DS and 3DS launch buyers! Switch does seem like a better bet - and I definitely missed out on a lot of fun times with wii u (like the first year of splatoon) with very minimal $ savings by waiting until last year to buy one.

DS ok fair point. that system was all about 3rd parties, though there was still some solid first party stuff like Mario Kart DS and the Pokemon games. 3DS? I thought Nintendo's first party output was killer. 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, OoT 3D, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Pushmo, Box Boy, both Kirby games, ALBW, Mario Kart 7, Smash. I thoroughly enjoyed Nintendo's output on 3DS

Calm Mind

I'll have to admit there is this certain magic that comes with buying a brand new console at launch. Especially from Nintendo. I haven't felt this way since the Wii. I bought two the same day.

notaskwid

Never bought a console day one, this is not the one either.

Also have an hunch that the console will have a hard time selling (at msrp) so it might be smart to wait and see.

routerbad

Banned
I am getting it day one for Zelda. Honestly, if it wasn't for that, I would have no interest buying one until the holiday season. And this is coming from someone who has purchased every Nintendo console and handheld since Gcn day one.

Of all the things that never happened... Not just because it's implausible that you'd have made it out to each launch, but because it's also implausible that you were excited about 3DS at launch, or the Wii U at launch (not to mention all of the revisions of the handhelds), but you're not excited about the Switch from a hardware perspective.

You can do better than this, get excite, you're gonna be playing BoTW in literally just over two weeks.

routerbad

Banned
A Nintendo direct giving us a proper look at the U.I and informing us more of core features at launch would help build the excitement more.

Or send GAF into a meltdown because some obscure non gaming related feature isn't present at launch but was added to some other console x number of years after launch in a firmware update.

But for most of us, yeah it would build that hype.

OCD Guy

Never bought a console day one, this is not the one either.

Also have an hunch that the console will have a hard time selling (at msrp) so it might be smart to wait and see.

Why?

In the UK at least it's not seen as expensive. The PS3 struggled as that was viewed as genuinely expensive.

For a console on launch it's cheap compared to what we've been used to in terms of launch prices.It was cheaper than the ps4 and Xbox one for example. But I guess the argument some have is that it's expensive for what you get, but I don't agree with that either. The price is mid range tablet territory in the UK at least.

I'm not sure I even agree about a price drop happening, yes it happened with the 3ds but didn't really happen with the Wii U and that didn't do well.

I'm looking forward to a few months to see how sales are shaping up, I think it's going to do poor overall, but I'm not ruling out the possibility to shock everyone and sell a shit load. I don't see an inbetween.

Or send GAF into a meltdown because some obscure non gaming related feature isn't present at launch but was added to some other console x number of years after launch in a firmware update.

But for most of us, yeah it would build that hype.

Yeah that fake concern from people who aren't going to buy a Nintendo console anyway regardless lol

sora87

The switch is the first console I won't be buying at launch since... the dreamcast?
Feels weird to be missing out on a console launch but yeah, there's nothing there.

notaskwid

Why?

In the UK at least it's not seen as expensive. The PS3 struggled as that was viewed as genuinely expensive.

For a console on launch it's cheap compared to what we've been used to in terms of launch prices.It was cheaper than the ps4 and Xbox one for example. But I guess the argument some have is that it's expensive for what you get, but I don't agree with that either. The price is mid range tablet territory in the UK at least.

I'm not sure I even agree about a price drop happening, yes it happened with the 3ds but didn't really happen with the Wii U and that didn't do well.

I'm looking forward to a few months to see how sales are shaping up, I think it's going to do poor overall, but I'm not ruling out the possibility to shock everyone and sell a shit load. I don't see an inbetween.

My personal opinion is that it's too expensove for the handheld market, which is who it'll ultimately going to serve. Unless it catches the casual market like the Wii did (very unlikely, I'm sure we all can agree).
I guess that ultimately after the complete disaster that was the WiiU, and the failure of the 3ds to sell half the ds's ltd (and particularly the 250$ false start), I don't see a 300$ Nintendo machine selling that well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm also in no hurry to get the console, doesn't even have an announced Gyakuten Saiban.
And while it *is* a tablet, it doesn't even have a webbrowser, I wouldn't be counting the tablet market as potencial buyers.

3DS launched with poorly designed hardware at a bad price ($250). Software is only part of the equation when you've spent a ton on something that isn't nice to play it on.

The 3DS launched in March 2011. The New 3DS wasn't available until November 2015 in the US. That's four and a half years later to get a suitable replacement for it unless you wanted to go large or go 2DS. So I was supposed to wait until November 2015 to buy a 3DS and miss four and a half years of gaming on the 3DS platform? It also cost $220 with Animal Crossing, so I wouldn't have been saving much money during that time frame.

OCD Guy

My personal opinion is that it's too expensove for the handheld market, which is who it'll ultimately going to serve. Unless it catches the casual market like the Wii did (very unlikely, I'm sure we all can agree).
I guess that ultimately after the complete disaster that was the WiiU, and the failure of the 3ds to sell half the ds's ltd (and particularly the 250$ false start), I don't see a 300$ Nintendo machine selling that well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm also in no hurry to get the console, doesn't even have an announced Gyakuten Saiban.
And while it *is* a tablet, it doesn't even have a webbrowser, I wouldn't be counting the tablet market as potencial buyers.

Just to clarify I wasn't trying to say that a typical tablet buyer is the market for the switch, I used a price of a tablet as a reference point to price of technology. I'm also aware that the Switch has next to functionality at all, aside from playing games. Although in the grand scheme of things I couldn't see those features making a difference to sales, they'd be nothing more than bonus features for people because most people own a large number of devices that do those additional functions better. As opposed to how a Blu-Ray player was often the main reason people bought PS3's for some time, as it was a feature that not many people had access to, and it was the cheapest way to get that feature.

Yes I agree the Wii is NEVER happening again, Nintendo and anyone else can forget that, it was a one off. What's funnier than Nintendo thinking they can do that again were the people (some on this forum) who said VR would reach the same levels of success lol.

None of us know how the switch is going to sell, even expert analysts who are paid to give "professional" opinions are often wrong. I still remember the doom and gloom surrounding the PS3 for a long time, and that was a console following the hugely successful PS2. People assumed because of the success of the PS2 that PS3 would do amazingly. Although it did turn things around.

Let's also not forget the Wii was following the arguably irrelevant GameCube. I remember a lot of people thinking the Wii would fail. No one ever predicted the levels of success it had. Why would they, they looked at Nintendos past. So what I'm saying is the past isn't always an indication of the future. If someone had told me when I had a master system that Sonic would be on a Nintendo console I'd have thought they were crazy.

So with all of that said I'm not putting too much strength on Nintendo's past effecting their future. Time will tell....

OryoN

On the flipside, there are also lots of certainties.

I'm sure you OP can list a few if you try.
I'm playing Splatoon right now - posting via Wii U - so I can't go into the detail I'd like, but here are a few(extremely general) certainties - all of which can be broken down into a lot more detail to reveal several more things that you can be confident about:

Any game that excites you, personally, is certainty.
Very unique appeal. There are obvious benefits to a hybrid device.
You can count on decent Indie support, at least.
At the very worse, it will have Nintendo software support.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PS4 was the last console I purchased at launch. Swore I'd never do another launch day purchase and doubted I'd bother buying another console. But here I am. Despite the lackluster launch I'm excited for the hardware. I'd say I'm more excited for the hardware then I am Zelda. I don't think I've ever felt that way during a console launch.

I think the only console I've bought on day 1 was a Vita. While I'm excited for the Switch hardware (I love portables), I couldn't bring myself to pre-order the day it went live due to the lack of software.

Part of me says, why not, since I'll probably get one before the price drops anyways. The reasonable side of me says, why part with the money if you have other games I'm really excited for.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll get one eventually. The hardware looks great and I'm excited to hear impressions of everyone picking it up.

Yeah, I really want to buy it at launch too if possible (probably won't until the summer though). There's no reason for me not to buy it really.

I know by the end of this year it will at least have Zelda: BOTW, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Redux and Mario Odyssey - I'm definitely getting all 4 of them.

I may get ARMS if the general reaction to it is positive - it looks fun. NBA2K as well.

Also, I know that it will soon get Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

It covers pretty much all my gaming likes, so I'm definitely all in.

schopaia

The 3DS launched in March 2011. The New 3DS wasn't available until November 2015 in the US. That's four and a half years later to get a suitable replacement for it unless you wanted to go large or go 2DS. So I was supposed to wait until November 2015 to buy a 3DS and miss four and a half years of gaming on the 3DS platform? It also cost $220 with Animal Crossing, so I wouldn't have been saving much money during that time frame.

3DS XL was launched 15 months later, $50 cheaper, with a usable d-pad and adequately sized screen.

3DS XL was launched 15 months later, $50 cheaper, with a usable d-pad and adequately sized screen.

That's fine if you wanted to go big. I didn't want to go big. I didn't care for the larger DS either in size. I also didn't like how the visuals became less sharp since they just scaled the games to fill the larger screen size. So the XL was not really an option IMO. So again, 4 and a half years between 3DS and New 3DS. That's a long time and if I waited, I would have been screwed because they phased out the regular 3DS for awhile in favor of the XL size. So actually, you just helped prove it's better to get it at launch rather than wait.

phanphare

Banned

the 3DS XL's dpad was not good. I had the gold Zelda one and it was a step down from the OG because of the placement and how big the handheld was. really uncomfortable to use and the dpad itself didn't feel good either. also the bigger screen was a negative for me because the ppi was worse. it was good for 2D pixel art games but for 3D games not so much.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The Switch is my first ever launch purchase for a Nintendo console. It's also being paired up with another first; my first ever Zelda game. I'm excited as hell lol.

routerbad

Banned
Buying a new generation Nintendo hardware day one these days is the textbook definition of insanity, but good luck anyway OP.

Why exactly? There are legitimate reasons why it would be a bad idea for some people, but it isn't applicable to everyone.

The only actual reasons I can think of are the possibility of a future SKU that would appeal more to a specific demographic (3DSXL for those that want a larger screen) but at that point it's the same thing as waiting for a PS Slim.

It would also be silly to buy this day one if either the launch window (because we aren't going to groundhog day March 3, time will move on as much as I'm sure you wish it wouldn't) games aren't to your liking, or you simply aren't that into Nintendo first party titles.

Given that even most Nintendo detractors are simply detractors because they want Nintendo games on their console of choice rather than buying Nintendo hardware, the latter case is not likely. That leaves the launch window, which actually has a lot of good stuff but, eh, not everyone likes the same stuff, which is what it is.

It really can't be because "oh it might fail" either. Even their worst performing console of all time had some of their best first party experiences ever. I bought a Wii U day one, and I'm glad I did. The droughts sucked, I wish they got better support, but I played the hell out of some MarioKart, Yoshi, Bayonetta, Donkey Kong, etc etc.

I guess the better question is why are you so concerned about the mental wellbeing of people hyped for a Nintendo console launch, so much so that you decided to hit the "post reply" button?

jax

Banned
what's your issue with that? you don't like messing around with new tech?
I think he's saying the Switch isn't new technology. Aka just a shitpost.

The switch is the first console I won't be buying at launch since... the dreamcast?
Feels weird to be missing out on a console launch but yeah, there's nothing there.

Zelda, Bomberman, and 12S are nothing now. Okay. Cool.

Yes I agree the Wii is NEVER happening again, Nintendo and anyone else can forget that, it was a one off.

The Wii wasn't their first breakaway success, and it won't be their last.

Let's also not forget the Wii was following the arguably irrelevant GameCube. I remember a lot of people thinking the Wii would fail. No one ever predicted the levels of success it had.

The Switch is following the arguably irrelevant Wii U. A lot of people are predicting the Switch will fail, and will be surprised by the amount of success it has.

Hopefully it works out, OP. I've been around or near launch for DS, 3DS, Wii U, Vita, and PS4 now. None of them have been with it, but damn if I don't have Switch preorders.

It's just kind of fun getting things at launch even if they just sit there for half a year. Honestly, Switch probably has the most games I'm actually going to play at launch of any of those though so no too worried.

Same here. I guess the biggest selling point to me is the idea of being able to play Zelda BoTW half naked in my bed, super comfortable at will. Amazing what tech is becoming.

That's what sold it for me, LMAO. Just for indies and a few games the ability to play in bed when the wife is watching TV in the living room or just play on the couch with her there is awesome. Or let the kid play once in a while.

Zelda, Bomberman, and 12S are nothing now. Okay. Cool.
Let's be reasonable. Without Zelda, the launch would be extremely lackluster. If you're not into Zelda, it's easy to be uninterested in the launch completely. I say this as someone buying those three games.

SpeedNut

Based on the lack of play my original 3DS gets I'm not in a rush, but I do plan on wasting my Best Buy Bucks stash on it when I rack up enough (up to $150 and slowly rising)

PS4 was the last console I purchased at launch. Swore I'd never do another launch day purchase and doubted I'd bother buying another console. But here I am. Despite the lackluster launch I'm excited for the hardware. I'd say I'm more excited for the hardware then I am Zelda. I don't think I've ever felt that way during a console launch.

Same here! I usually get really jazzed about new consoles...right up until I reason myself out of it. Happened with the PS2, XBOX, GBA, DS, 3DS, and Vita. I just couldn't justify them. Even consoles I did buy at launch quickly lost their luster (PSP, PS3, PS4) because I was only after them because of their promise of more kick ass graphics, like some arbitrary block was being removed.

PSP became my portable movie, music and podcast player. PS3 became my Blu-Ray player. PS4 became my "wait for it to show up on PS+" console.

I am legitimately excited by the potential of the Switch because I can reasonably play however I want to play, and that's awesome. I love Nintendo games, but there's always been something keeping me from feeling like their consoles beyond SNES (and GC) were worth the investment for me. I don't have that feeling at all with the Switch.

That's worth whatever trade-off there might be IMO.

Ironically switch will be the first console in a while i have NOT bought at launch. 3ds, wii, wii u, ps4, xbox one all bought at launch. Rarely played much of any of them in the first year, swapped both ps4 and xbox for the upgraded editions last year. When a critical list of games that I really, really want to play is available on switch I'll buy it. Portability means little to me, I doubt I'd ever undock it.

I can totally see though how someone younger would be super jazzed about the switch and taking it on the go in an active lifestyle and I think thats gonna be super cool to watch out in the real world, but for me podcasts are pretty much the only thing I want to do off my phone if I am on the go.

That's cool. Zelda will be amazing, but the droughts will be tough to endure.

The system will have a decent lineup by the end of 2017 if all its upcoming titles hit their targeted release dates. I am guaranteed to have a Switch due to some key titles, but I really can't justify it at launch.

Nintendo is probably the only one out of the big 3 where I don't regret buying day 1. Their stuff rarely goes on sale or drops in price so I never feel like I'm going to miss out on a good deal by waiting. Rather get my Nintendo fix ASAP in that case. And even when they do drop the price (3DS) they reimbursed their players well. Hell I'd pay that 50 to get all the games I got from the ambassador program of I wasn't one. Despite how much I want to play Horizon and RE7 even with GCU I can't justify buying it day 1 when I know there will be a good sale or price drop in a few months.

Speely

Banned
My last day one console was the Dreamcast. Worked out for me very well. I feel even more stoked about my day one Switch.

phanphare

Banned
When you can get Zelda on wii u, yeah. I'd be buying a new console with Bomberman as the only new game for it. Like I'd pay for 12S lol.

Zelda being on Wii U doesn't make the Switch version disappear tho

also it's still a new game regardless so your next bit doesn't make sense

Speely

Banned
When you can get Zelda on wii u, yeah. I'd be buying a new console with Bomberman as the only new game for it. Like I'd pay for 12S lol.

No games, hardware sucks. Avoid. You just saved $300. Use it to do something nice for yourself. :)

AppleBlade

Despite Playstation being by far my most played platform of my gaming life the only systems I have purchased at launch were the Wii, Wii U and now the Switch. On one hand I've been disappointed with what has gone on with Nintendo and core games but on the other hand there hardware has been novel enough to get me excited whether it was the motion and IR of the Wii or the Wii U Tablet or the portable nature of the Switch.

My Switch excitement is definitely greater than any system prior though and it has very little to do with the upcoming library (besides Zelda). This is basically the system I've been wishing for since I was a kid. The powerful system that could be a portable or a home console! I've always wanted that. Now combine that with the fact that I lead a busy life with a wife and little kids and little time, this system is so perfect for my lifestyle. I feel like I'm actually going to be able to game regularly again!

Crayon

PS2 is the last time I was this excited for a launch. I got a wii on launch and I had a good time in the line with my friends but I was not exactly dying to have the actual console day one. Kind of fell into the situation. I got a ps3 day one but I was trying to scalp it. That didn't work out too well.

It's never smart to get a console at launch, but if you love videogames, it can be fun to get excited. I'd like to get this excited about consoles more often but they've been kind of boring (hardware wise) for a long time.

YuShtink

I get suckered in to buying systems at launch all the time. I cant help myself. Theres always that 10 month period from about 30 days after launch to the 1 year mark that it will collect dust, but I honestly find its still usually worth it to me to just have it fron Day 1. Thats when the system itself is really exciting and new and fresh. Plus its not like you dont have it later when the library matures. Having a system for its first year or two is definitely worth the $50-100 dollars Id save from waiting, for me at least. Ive got my Switch pre-ordered and Im excited as hell.

Top Bottom