• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online The Movie "Ordinal Scale" |OT| Kirito x Asuna for life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

C46Xjup.jpg

Release date: March 9, 2017 (USA)
Director: Tomohiko Itō
Music composed by: Yuki Kajiura
Language: Japanese
*Subtitled in English*
Screenplay: Reki Kawahara
Producers: Aniplex
Licensors: Aniplex of America
Studios: A-1 Pictures
Source: Light novel
Genres: Action, Game, Adventure, Romance, Fantasy

JPN: http://sao-movie.net/
NA: http://sao-movie.net/us/

Buy Tickets here:
http://sao-movie.net/us/theater/

What is Sword Art Online:
The animated TV series ”Sword Art Online" is based on author Reki Kawahara's light novel (winner of the 15th Dengeki Novel Award Grand Prize) in which the protagonist Kirito fights to survive in the mysterious next-gen VRMMORPG called ”Sword Art Online." Since the first volume of the novel was published in April 2009, the series has been extremely popular with cumulative sales exceeding 12.5 million units in Japan and 19 million worldwide. Because of its popularity, the series has been adapted into two animated series, in addition to several games, comics and merchandise. In Spring 2017, ”Sword Art Online The Movie – Ordinal Scale –”, a brand new original story written by Reki Kawahara, is set for a theatrical release. SAO fans around the world are anxiously anticipating its release.

Original Anime Link (Seasons 1-2; subbed or dubbed):
http://www.crunchyroll.com/sword-art-online?utm_source=android&utm_campaign=socialshare

Movie plot:
The film is set after the events of the anime's second season, in which Kirito, Asuna, and their friends start playing a new game known as OS (short for "Ordinal Scale") that, contrary to the previous ones they played, doesn't have a full-dive function and is based on a new augmented reality device instead called "Augma". In this game, players are ranked according to their achievements and players with lower ranks have serious disadvantages in duels against their higher ranked peers. However, Kirito and co. discover that something is wrong when they come across monsters from Aincrad, the world from the same game they were trapped inside for two years while fighting for their lives.

Prologue:
In 2022, the world of virtual reality was upended by the arrival of a new invention from a genius programmer, Akihiko Kayaba. Called NerveGear, it was the first full-dive system and with it, came endless possibilities to VRMMORPGs. In 2026, a new machine called the Augma is developed to compete against the NerveGear and its successor, the Amusphere. A next-gen wearable device, the Augma doesn't have a full-dive function like its predecessors. Instead, it uses Augmented Reality (AR) to get players into the game. It is safe, user-friendly and lets users play while they are conscious, making it an instant hit on the market. The most popular game on the system is ”Ordinal Scale" (aka: OS), an ARMMORPG developed exclusively for the Augma.
Asuna and the gang have already been playing OS for a while, by the time Kirito decides to join them. They're about to find out that Ordinal Scale isn't all fun and games

AR (Augmented Reality) Type Information Terminal ”Augma":
A next-generation, wearable multi-device that looks like a pair of small headphones. In terms of size and portability, it is far superior to the existing VR machine ”Amusphere." Augma doesn't have a full-dive function, however, its AR function is greatly enhanced to compensate for it. It can transmit visual, audio and tactual sensation data to players while they are awake, thus enabling the users to enjoy fitness and health management like a game

Ordinal Scale:
”Ordinal Scale," an ARMMO-RPG that was designed exclusively for ”Augma."
Following its release, it has become the most discussed game due to its advanced technology. In this game, players can raise their rank by collecting items that appear in various places in the real world and by defeating monsters. This ”Ranking System" is the main feature of the game, and in this system, each player's status is determined by their rank which is indicated by an ordinal number instead of a cardinal number.
As the result, high ranking players are given overwhelming power and often rank has become a major factor in deciding the outcome of a PvP battle.

Characters:
bAh197e.jpg

Kirito (Kazuto Kirigaya)
Xu980YO.png

VA: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
The player who cleared "Sword Art Online"... the death game. Also known as the "Black Swordsman".

Asuna (Asuna Yuuki)
yYAq6hv.png

VA: Haruka Tomatsu
A female rapier wielder in SAO and Kirito's girlfriend in both the real and virtual world. Also known as "Lightning Flash".

Yui
D9lIXph.png

VA: Kanae Ito
An A.I. program in SAO, that monitored players' mental health. She considers Kirito and Asuna her parents.

Leafa (Suguha Kirigaya)
v6h9SKg.png

VA: Ayana Taketatsu
Kirito's "Sister" cousin

Silica (Keiko Ayano)
Fm0NwA1.png

VA: Rina Hidaka
In SAO, she was a beast tamer who was saved by Kirito. Her familiar is a little dragon called Pina. In ALO, her avatar is a cat fairy.

Lisbeth (Rika Shinozaki)
2QO3J2p.png

VA: Ayahi Takagaki
Nicknamed Liz, she is a master blacksmith, who forged Kirito's swords in SAO. She is an excellent mace-wielder and Asuna's best friend.

Sinon (Shino Asada)
lmRRDgd.png

VA: Miyuki Sawashiro
The best sniper in Gungale Online, an MMO with an apocalyptic setting. With Kirito's help, she was able to overcome a childhood trauma.

Klein (Ryotaro Tsuboi)
gNHJBBl.png

VA: Hiroaki Hirata
A swordsman, who lead the Furin-kazan guild in SAO. He prefers Japanese style weapons and armor. He is loyal, quick-witted and a good friend of Kirito's

Agil (Andrew Gilbert Mills)
rd6XsP6.png

VA: Hiroki Yasumoto
He was a merchant and a fearless axe-wielder in SAO and fought alongside Kirito many times. He is the most cheerful and reliable of Kirito's friends.

Akihiko Kayaba
Ro4n3ST.png

VA: Koichi Yamadera
A genius game designer, who created SAO. He developed the NerveGear rig to fully immerse players in MMO games. The Amusphere rig is based on his technology.

Yuna
hZX6yin.png

VA: Sayaka Kanda
Yuna is an idol in the AR (Augmented Reality) world of Ordinal Scale. If a player encounters her in the game, they can acquire special upgrades.

Eiji
RVJGa1C.png

VA: Yoshio Inoue
Eiji is a mysterious young swordsman, who is the top ranked player in Ordinal Scale. Kirito and his friends encounter him during gameplay

Professor Shigemura
0ZNht7A.png

VA: Takeshi Kaga
Shigemura is a developer and an authority on non-invasive BMI (Brain Machine Interface) research. He is also a professor in the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department at Toho Technological University. Due to his radical theories on electrical physiology, his peers regard him as a crackpot.

grWp7ta.gif

Artwork/Posters:

Screens:

Trailer 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ygWtIjenoI

Trailer 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNxxReVeVDI

Trailer 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3i1DrhVaA

Trailer 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FLqOWjUfI

*Spoiler Warning*
Do not be "that" guy and spoil the movie for others. It opens up around the US tonight and looks like there will be several showing at the theaters, so keep that in mind and use spoiler tags appropriately! Also, by watching the movie, it is assumed you have watched season 1 and 2 of the anime so those spoilers are open game!

With that being said, general discussion is OK about the movie, characters, plot ect and how it relates to the series, but do not post if your sole purpose to the drive-by troll SAO and constantly try to stand on a soap box.

hwIYlGi.jpg

From these promo images I can only hope that Kirito is focusing on his day one Asuna and not fucking around with these side thots

Eeeeyyup.

Kawahara going "I love Accel World and I wanna do more with it, but SAO is the one that was popular. Welp, make THEM play a cool AR game!"

Cornbread78

From these promo images I can only hope that Kirito is focusing on his day one Asuna and not fucking around with these side thots

WE can only hope. This is an original film and loosely build around the SAO world, so...

I hear S3 gets much more focused though. We'll see when that is announced...

kewlmyc

I'm bored as shit in a town I barely know for work reasons but the SAO movie is playing at a theater that is 9 minutes walking distance from my hotel. Wonder if I should just bite the bullet and see it out of boredom and curiosity about this final fight scene that's apparently worth the $18 admission price.

There was an accel world film last year

That was 50% recap of the anime series and the second half had a plot that you couldn't understand unless you were caught up with the novels.

xk0sm0sx

My friend dragged me to watch this, I didn't like it.
Non-spoiler impressions:
Great setting, but the story doesn't make use of it well.
AR is an interesting setting, but there's nothing in the story that can't be done without AR.
Very deus ex machina. The story completely falls apart by the end, you just have to turn off your mind and accept everything somehow works out.

Spoiler stuff for those who watched:
Why the hell can weapons and skills data be transferred between games like that! Why would killing the last boss in SAO somehow save everyone! Why must the doctor pull the memories out of everyone instead of just simply 'copying' it!
I don't like how illogical this movie is. :(

I'm allergic to idolshit, so hopefully it's not in there much.
It's a pretty major element, but not too obnoxious.

Cornbread78

My friend dragged me to watch this.
Impressions:
Ending is very deus ex machina. It didn't make any sense in the end, you just have to turn off your mind and accept it somehow works out.

LOL, spoilers aren't needed for impressions as long as there are no story spoilers embedded in them.
I'm allergic to idolshit, so hopefully it's not in there much.

My guess would be it's probably similar to the idol usage in Lost Song.

My friend dragged me to watch this.
Impressions:
Ending is very deus ex machina. It didn't make any sense in the end, you just have to turn off your mind and accept it somehow works out.

So you're telling me that it's a Sword Art Online story.

xk0sm0sx

LOL, spoilers aren't needed for impressions as long as there are no story spoilers embedded in them.

Haha I expect there will be some excited to watch this movie so I think my impression might spoil the hype.

So you're telling me that it's a Sword Art Online story.

Yeah, I mean I shouldn't expect much. I'm sure it will be enjoyable if you are already invested into it though! I didn't want to watch it but my movie friend wanted to, so I tagged along.

MSMrRound

Spoiler stuff for those who watched:
Why the hell can weapons and skills data be transferred between games like that! Why would killing the last boss in SAO somehow save everyone! Why must the doctor pull the memories out of everyone instead of just simply 'copying' it!
I don't like how illogical this movie is. :(

Major story spoilers:

cuz Yui got that plothax. Cuz AI Yuna was made up of different mateirals, including part of the Aincard final boss. The memory absorption program was set up so with Yuna in mind, and that program is only designated for the no.1 Ordinal Scale player, which is Yuna.

With Kirito and gang's aim being to remove Yuna from the no. 1 player spot to override the program, they couldn't do it if they don't defeat the final boss first, as it acts as a barrier which prevents Kirito from rising past Yuna's position in the game (and therefore, putting an end to the plot that was going on).

Burbeting

Banned
Oh no

I have to watch this, and hate myself, do I? The first two seasons of sao were some of the most awful anime I've ever watched. It's not just that they were bad, but they were boring as sin.

Yet I'm still going to watch this movie.

Cornbread78

Oh no
I have to watch this, and hate myself, do I? The first two seasons of sao were some of the most awful anime I've ever watched. It's not just that they were bad, but they were boring as sin.

What a trooper you are! Go cheer for my ship!

Line_HTX

I got tickets to next Wednesday, the 15th because Tuesday the 14th instantly sold out.

There some rabid fans here in Houston, lol

Maedhros

Oh no

WTF? Are you a masochist or something?

How can you even watch something that you clearly don't enjoy?

Ryuukan

WTF? Are you a masochist or something?

How can you even watch something that you clearly don't enjoy?

people shit on SAO even tho they enjoy it to fit in

"ugh SAO is terrible after the first half of S1, I dunno why I kept watching it for another 30 episodes lmao xd"

Jackpot

Banned
SAO made me hate anime for a while.

You're going to kick off the second arc of your series. What direction will you take? I know, how about an incest love triangle with an arranged business marriage on top!

Hexa

I can't watch this in theatres but really want to watch it. :(
To everyone that's going though, enjoy!

Cornbread78

Dunno why the OT is so late. Watched this weeks ago. It was alright. Typical SAO trash, but prettier.

There are other countries outside of NA? Surely you are mistaken!

I was stuck on the 3/9 date and forgot about the Japanese/Asian launch, my apologies master Ducky.

Got my ticket...
Never loved and hated something so much in my life.

Is there a condensed recap movie? My brother was always interested in the series but hadn't had a chance to watch yet but wants to go with me tomorrow?

duckroll

Is there a condensed recap movie? My brother was always interested in the series but hadn't had a chance to watch yet but wants to go with me tomorrow?

The movie opens with a short recap of the things which matter. The old footage also looks hilariously upscaled compared to the movie footage, in the cinema at least.

TarNaru33

Banned

Man, I hate that word so goddamn much.

On the other hand, I look forward to watching it, mainly for the action scenes as that is the only good thing about SAO (to me) lol.

Cornbread78

Man, I hate that word so goddamn much.

On the other hand, I look forward to watching it, mainly for the action scenes as that is the only good thing about SAO (to me) lol.

I'm pretty sure Ducky said they did a really good job with the action scenes in his review, so I don't think you will be upset by that part at all, lol.

shira

All 16 listed showings sold out in Toronto Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas
fuming.gif

Anyone know if they are adding more or is it limited engagement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom