• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online The Movie "Ordinal Scale" |OT| Kirito x Asuna for life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The tech sounds like full-dive function would be better.

Nope.

AR > VR

This has always been the case. It will be true in our future too. VR is just far easier to work on our current level of consumer technology because it is self contained. AR is when you take the concepts of VR and apply it in an integrated form in daily life on a common platform. It's very complicated and difficult to achieve that, but when we do get there, VR will not be remotely as exciting.

TarNaru33

Banned
I'm pretty sure Ducky said they did a really good job with the action scenes in his review, so I don't think you will be upset by that part at all, lol.

Perfect then, that is all I need. Now everyone that is talking about the movie in theaters, are we talking about Japan movie release? Because if some of you are talking about U.S then I would have to say I didn't think anime would be released theatrically here.

EDIT: I am an idiot, it is on the OP. lol

Closest one is like 2 hours (Releigh) from me. Is it worth watching in theaters?

Nope.

AR > VR

This has always been the case. It will be true in our future too. VR is just far easier to work on our current level of consumer technology because it is self contained. AR is when you take the concepts of VR and apply it in an integrated form in daily life on a common platform. It's very complicated and difficult to achieve that, but when we do get there, VR will not be remotely as exciting.

I don't know... I guess it technically is better, but wouldn't it be near impossible to achieve immersion that will be as good as VR? I will gladly laugh at the person swinging his arms about on the sidewalk while he is fighting a "dragon". Maybe I am mistaken how AR would work though, that sounds like I would be old man before it comes out right type of tech though.

People left after the credits lol. Dont leave!

Phenomenal movie. Kirito was great as well as Eiji (best antagonist in the franchise)

Floor 100 boss is the best thing ever. If only such an end stage boss were in a real game. Really awesome when everyone appeared and did their hi ougis

I think the anime is the best thing for raids. Each one was great.

The world kind of felt Accel Worldy at times especially overlaying the fantasy over reality. I liked it.

MSMrRound

Phenomenal movie. Kirito waa great as well as Eiji (best antagonist in the franchise)

Floor 100 boss is the best thing ever. If only such an end stage boss were in a real game. Really awesome when everyone appeared and did their hi ougis

To be honest, regarding Eiji...
they could have done so much more with his character. He comes off as a one-note side character that had to rely on some sort of in-game exo-skeleton device to be the OP character that he was. As a result, he didn't feel really memorable to me

About the final fight...
not ashamed to admit I shed a few tears when Yuuki popped up as an afterimage for that Mother's Rosario aid. THAT'S DIRTY YOU PRODUCERS! Then they went on to use that image as the final image for the credits again..

Oh and regarding after credits scene...there were a group of teenage boys sitting next/behind me

Guy A: "Eh, the movie is over already, let's just leave already"
Guy B: "Wait, there's something more."
Guy A: "What else? Why are we staying in the theater for?"
Guy B: "Shh, this is the second time I'm watching it. I guarantee it will be worth it"
Guy A *still skeptical*: "..okay"

*after credit scene shown*

Guy A: "OOOOOHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!|"

kewlmyc

Yep, that was SAO all right. Was entertaining if you don't really think about the plot too much. The fights were cool, though I wish the last fight lasted longer and was easier to tell what was actually happening. Most of it was flashy effects on the attacks and fast cutting back and forth between characters.

I will give it this. The movie improved what I originally thought about Kirito and Asuna. They're not that bad of a couple, at least compared to other LN stories. His other haremettes other than Sinon can piss off though, especially Silica. Yui still sucks, Klein is wasted potential, and Agil is a pretty cool dude.

All and all, not a bad way to spend a bored business trip evening.

SAO/10

Much better than I was expecting. The emphasis on Aincrad was good, helped bring back some of the feel of early S1.

Sending Leafa off to kendo vacation for the entirety of the movie was the best idea ever.

What was the end credit stinger?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Much better than I was expecting. The emphasis on Aincrad was good, helped bring back some of the feel of early S1.

Sending Leafa off to kendo vacation for the entirety of the movie was the best idea ever.

What was the end credit stinger?

Welcome to Rath. Pretty much teasing Alicization which is the longest arc in SAO.

I can't believe a showing nearly 45+ minutes outside of Birmingham, Alabama was as full as it was.

Probably one of the silliest theater experiences I have ever seen.
The cast interviews absolutely destroyed my audience,
The surprise of the singer's.
Asuna's going on and on and then the troll.
followed by Kirito's high energy, fade out troll, finally asking the audience to cheer which everyone laughed and groaned at except one guy however 90% actually joined in for the 2nd and 3rd everyone shouted while laughing like idiots.

Finally the screen went black and someone shouts
"Link Starto!"

I also can't believe I legitimately liked the movie as much as I did.
Love/Hate the entire franchise but thought it was good.

deanote666

Definitely better than their last "movie." I liked Asuna's reaction to her MVP reward the 2nd time around. I'm guessing all of the ALO players that joined in on the final boss battle were in the stadium in order for the VR function to be activated? How did Leafa join in since she was at camp, and I'm guessing that they couldn't just "fly" there from ALO.

For those earlier in the thread, their memories weren't "taken." The process of copying them had physiological effects on the brain that caused amnesia. Kayaba fried his brain scanning it onto the internet, btw.

The voice actors before the movie were interesting. Asuna's voice actress said it only took 2 days to voice the movie, lol. Kirito's voice actor trying to get the crowd going.

MSMrRound

Definitely better than their last "movie." I liked Asuna's reaction to her MVP reward the 2nd time around. I'm guessing all of the ALO players that joined in on the final boss battle were in the stadium in order for the VR function to be activated? How did Leafa join in since she was at camp, and I'm guessing that they couldn't just "fly" there from ALO.

End-movie spoilers
Yuna told them that the Augma had a hidden "Full Dive" function, so that they used it to access Aincard. As for the GGO/ALO players joining them, Yui accessed her Game Master rights to so-call link access for their ALO/GGO avatars to join in the battle (bit of an asspull but eeehhh)

Leafa was able to join in because Suguha showed them that she snuck her Amusphere headset to the Kendo camp

kayos90

Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale

So I’ll preface my thoughts on Ordinal Scale with the fact that: yes, I know the series is garbage and I recognize that it is garbage but I still like it. Having said this, I did think that Ordinal Scale is overall a passable movie. There are some legitimately interesting ideas here and the technology that drives AR, the Augma, propels the world into some very predictable territory. I always did enjoy the fact that Kawahara has some technological ideas that are something in the near future and manages to shape a story around it. Unfortunately the man is an absolute hack and can’t get the execution down at all. It’s literal trash. That’s full front and center in Ordinal Scale. The AR ideas are executed well in the beginning but unfortunately it goes to stupidity by the end of the movie where it didn’t matter at all. In fact the writing entirely goes to shit by the end of the movie. Kawahara should lead narratives from an idea standpoint and have someone else do the execution as there is a bit of societal commentary on the use of VR and AR gear.

Moving on from technology conversation, the movie for all its intents and purposes is a love story between Kirito and Asuna. You don’t like that? Then you’re totally fucked. You’re not going to enjoy this movie minus the fight scenes. Just like how the death game drove the drama and gave the romance a little bit more weight in the Aincrad arc, the same application exists here. The technology drives the romance forward and puts a bit of a spin on things. Unfortunately, the execution falls short and the idea isn’t hammered home quite well like the Aincrad arc. Kirito is pretty much of cutout in Ordinal Scale just like the Aincrad arc; it might actually be worse to be honest. However, when contrasting with Asuna I do think the interactions are a bit endearing when it’s not super cheesy. The other characters are pretty much non-factors minus the villains Eiji and Shigemura. Eiji seems like he would be great character and possibly contrast well with Kirito as complete opposite of him had things gone differently but unfortunately he just isn’t developed. Makes him feel like a shit villain and just a whiny edgelord. Shigemura on the other hand is very concise. He’s fairly well written and his motivations are pretty clear cut. Despite the simplicity I enjoyed it. The characters overall reached the height of their value and what you expect from a stereotypical shovelware anime but there are moments of redemption. If there’s anything that’s worth seeing it's the cheesy, and somewhat fun, romance between Asuna and Kirito.

The plot is sorta all over the place? It actually starts out really strong. The first 20 minutes are extremely good actually. Everything after that is a slow descent towards madness and then then last 20 minutes or so everything gets thrown out the window and everyone is just jumping off cliffs cuz logic simply doesn’t exist even when the movie tries to justify itself. It’s that bad. Returning to the technology a bit, it would be difficult to remiss the story as AR is integral to the narrative. It has its cool elements but unfortunately, as I pointed out earlier, the repercussions of using AR and the stakes aren’t built properly over the course of the film and it just pops out and disappears just as quickly. There’s no time for it to sink in and actually matter. It definitely should matters and I think had the movie done this well it would’ve been great but unfortunately Kawahara is a hack and we get just a bad chick flick. I guess? Logic goes out the window in the last 20 minutes or so and at this point you’re just here for the ride. You’re watching things happen and it’ll just not make sense at all. Just bask in it and don’t think about it. Otherwise you’ll either rage or hurt yourself thinking about it. It’s just not worth it. Just like the characters there are some points and aspects of redemption but they are far few.

The tracks are nice but the songs are so phoned in. Kajiura pretty much plagiarized herself with the Kalafina tracks. It was lulz. That’s all.

In terms of the visuals and fight scenes, they are all excellent stuff. In fact, some of the stuff they pull off would make ufotable jealous. Not sure why people hyped up the final fight scene as it wasn’t really THAT great but all the fight scenes are fantastic. My favorite was easily the first fight scene and the duel between Eiji and Kirito. I’m sure this will be a very unpopular opinion. Overall, the visuals are fantastic. They do show some scenes from SAO and SAO2 which shows its age immensely. Ordinal Scale just looks THAT much better due to visual quality and simply the resolution.

Overall, I would not recommend watching Ordinal Scale unless you have watched SAO before and are interested in it slightly. This is not for newcomers. This isn’t even for anime elitists. This is for the fans first and foremost. I would totally watch this again though. For what its worth I know what I value out of SAO and in that respect I feel like it delivered in spades. It is still garbage. I do think Kawahara’s writing has gotten way better than when he first wrote Aincrad, Fairy Dance, even Alicization, but it’s still bad. Maybe in a few decades he’ll write something with good execution. Who knows.

Extra aside: The fanservice was super awkward... Like... there were scenes where other animes would’ve totally capitalized and made it into a fanservice scene but they didn’t. And there weren’t THAT many fanservice scenes. However, whenever they did it, it was super upfront and in your face to the point that it was super awkward. It was like, “why is this happening” this is so unnecessary.

duckroll

SAO has to be up there as one of the most popular anime series which people are ashamed of admitting they like. It's like being Catholic. All that passive aggressive self-doubting guilt. I love it. The guilt that is, not SAO. SAO is trash. I must repeat the mantra that SAO is trash even as I consume more of the garbage, to remind myself that it is bad.

SAO just kinda makes me mad in general...

VR is the shit... Bought a PSVR.
Now AR is the shit... and we got nothing.

I understand no Log Horizon MMO but where the hell is an SAO MMO.
I'd buy/subscribe to an SAO MMO
GGO MMO
Alfheim MMO
and now an Ordinal Scale MMO

SAO has to be up there as one of the most popular anime series which people are ashamed of admitting they like. It's like being Catholic. All that passive aggressive self-doubting guilt. I love it. The guilt that is, not SAO. SAO is trash. I must repeat the mantra that SAO is trash even as I consume more of the garbage, to remind myself that it is bad.
Its crazy, probably the most guilty pleasure of all time.

kayos90

Not sure if this is directed to me but I don't really consider myself to be ashamed of liking it. I just explain it because people for some reason can't understand that sometimes people like things despite knowing things are garbage. I dunno.... *shrug*

shira

cacd4bbb35f1482eb6834e0bd60432e4.jpg

I'm tempted to get tickets to the screening here in Ottawa.

I don't know... I guess it technically is better, but wouldn't it be near impossible to achieve immersion that will be as good as VR? I will gladly laugh at the person swinging his arms about on the sidewalk while he is fighting a "dragon". Maybe I am mistaken how AR would work though, that sounds like I would be old man before it comes out right type of tech though.

The problem here is you are assuming that you wouldn't be doing the same thing with your AR device as well. Especially in this hypothetical technological future where there are enough people using AR that you would be able to see someone in the streets flailing around. An AR Device of this caliber would be powerful enough to replace many of your gadgets, including your phone while being more convenient so its unfeasible you wouldn't have one... even if you got it for something completely other than gaming.

If you take the SAO example from the movie, Ordinal Scale supposedly is on the scale of Pokemon Go in popularity, and as we saw with that game people went ape-shit over virtual pokemon on a phone screen where all you did was walk into the area and flick your finger on the screen to chuck a ball at it.

duckroll

If you take the SAO example from the movie, Ordinal Scale supposedly is on the scale of Pokemon Go in popularity, and as we saw with that game people went ape-shit over virtual pokemon on a phone screen where all you did was walk into the area and flick your finger on the screen to chuck a ball at it.

I mean, there's literally a scene in it where a cop patrolling a park goes up to Kirito and is like "oh, you're playing that silly game everyone's gaga over, erm, stay safe!" So they're keenly aware of it. Lol.

kewlmyc

Never considered myself a fan. The show isn't good, but I don't have a hateboner for it like a lot of anime fans do. It's one of the more entertaining LN adaptions out there. I'll watch the 3rd season when it comes out. Apparently the series means more to me than initially thought since I got all 9 of the pre movie trivia questions right.

kayos90

Never considered myself a fan. The show isn't good, but I don't have a hateboner for it like a lot of anime fans do. It's one of the more entertaining LN adaptions out there. I'll watch the 3rd season when it comes out. Apparently the series means more to me than initially thought since I got all 9 of the pre movie trivia questions right.

but those questions were easy.... =/

kayos90

Given what I've read about the next arc, we've yet to even gaze into the true abyss of shit.

Alicization is Kawahara's attempt to write a long epic story that isn't really all that epic sans certain scenes. It's pretty bad having read a good chunk of it recently.

kayos90

Alicization is 10 novels.... They can condense some shit but I imagine it'll be 50 episodes...

Cornbread78

Alicization is Kawahara's attempt to write a long epic story that isn't really all that epic sans certain scenes. It's pretty bad having read a good chunk of it recently.

Oh, so the rapey shot really is back, lol. Is it all real world, or is there still a ton of fantasy adventure mixed in?

Can't wait. My hate watch every week will sustain my need for fuckery for generations.

The 50 day group "Let's ReWatch" leading up to S3 will be fun as well.

UCBooties

Assorted musings:

Kirito's attitude towards AR at the beginning of the movie seems a bit strange considering that he's actively working on creating AR at the end of season 2 with the projectors for Yuuki and Yui. It's bizarre seeing him so unhappy with it since it falls in line with his own goals for the development and evolution of VR. I thought it was just going to be one of those story inconsistencies that pop up between series and their movies some times but at the end of the movie he's using the projector again to take Yui out in the real world.

Spoilers regarding Eiji:
So it's revealed that Eiji is using some sort of robotic armature to fight at peak human performance in the real world. At first I was just thinking that this was something that was going to fall under "lol anime technology" but something that happened at the end of the movie made me reassess it. One of the issues with an armature or exo-skeleton that enhances your strength and especially one that enhances your speed is that it still puts that stress on your physical body. Your body tenses up in anticipation of the strain and that makes it more likely for the user to be badly injured. However, it's revealed at the end that the Augma still have full dive capabilities. This means that the Augma can control nervous impulses to the body just like a full dive VR unit can. Why is this important? Because one of the best ways to survive a car crash or other shock without injury is to be unconscious, with your body completely relaxed. So now I'm wondering if when Eiji was using the Augma it was actually cutting off the nerve impulses to his body, meaning his muscles would be relaxed as though he were unconscious (like a full dive) and he was using the Augma to control the armature directly to reduce the strain on his actual muscles. That's probably giving the writers too much credit but I thought it was fun when it occurred to me.

Klein will never ever not be treated like a loser by the rest of the cast and the writers. The dude ran a front-line attack guild in SAO and kept all of his guild mates (his IRL friends) alive until the game was cleared. He should get a bit of respect for that.

Speaking of Klein:
I really thought Eiji was killing other SAO players at first. When it was revealed that he was just injuring them and stealing their memories of SAO, I wondered why the fuck Klein didn't report him to the police. I mean, I know he didn't know his real name, but if you are showing up to the hospital with a broken arm/dislocated shoulder and brain damage why the fuck wouldn't you say to the police, "I was attacked by an Ordinal Scale player during an event. His player name is Eiji and he is the current rank 2 player."?

Overall, I felt like the movie was created with a lot of the the criticism leveled against the show in mind.

1. Kirito is often labelled a Gary Stu character because he is so dominant in VR games. The movie shows that his skills don't translate well into AR and he seems depressed and embarrassed that he is so far behind his friends in the new game.
Of course this is undercut at the end where he trains up in like 2 nights to take on Eiji but... protagonists gonna protagonist I guess.

2. People also rightly point out how ridiculous it is that every girl that Kirito meets falls in love with him, so the movie introduces a new girl who has no romantic interest in him.
She only goes to him for help because she has fragments of her memory from SAO and she knew he was strong.

3. Also, the girls, (excluding Asuna) get a lot of justified criticism for forming themselves into a "rejected women" club and hanging around to moon over Kirito. The movie makes it clear that Liz, Scilica, and Sinon, are much more interested in hanging out with each other and supporting each other and Asuna than they are with following Kirito around. (Suguha still seems to have some hang-ups though)

4. SAO (especially the Aincrad Arc) gets a lot of well-deserved flak for the creator having pretty much no idea how MMOs actually work and for the way that SAO is depicted as a game being pretty nonsensical and terrible. A lot of the fight scenes in the movie seemed to try to rectify that by showing more teamwork and emphasis on party roles, with much more attention paid to the importance of tanks than in the show. It's still nowhere near the level of attention and world-building of Log Horizon, but I did note that it seemed improved over the show.

None of this is to say that the movie is perfect. They give Asuna a few great chances to shine, which is appropriate considering that she was one of the strongest players in Aincrad (there's a decent argument to be made that she's actually a better player than Kirito based on her position in the KoB) but still can't resist turning her into a damsel in distress to be rescued. But I do think it's interesting that the movie seems to directly address some of the most common points of criticism about the show.

I really appreciated that the movie felt like a fully realized part of the show, and not just some fluff and a bunch of cameos like anime movies often are. The fight scenes ranged from good to great and some of the setting designs for the AR fights were just incredible. It was also neat to watch people meeting up in parks to get ready for the events and reminded me a lot of the feel of when Pokemon Go was new and hot. Overall I had a great time with it, though I may be in the minority when I say that I found the climax of the final showdown to be slightly disappointing as I thought the pacing of the scene was off.
They missed an opportunity to really mirror the first boss fight from Season 1 and show how far the cast had come. I know that the content of it was there, I just felt that the final beat didn't land with the intensity that it could have.

Assorted musings:
Overall, I felt like the movie was created with a lot of the the criticism leveled against the show in mind.

1. Kirito is often labelled a Gary Stu character because he is so dominant in VR games. The movie shows that his skills don't translate well into AR and he seems depressed and embarrassed that he is so far behind his friends in the new game.
Of course this is undercut at the end where he trains up in like 2 nights to take on Eiji but... protagonists gonna protagonist I guess.
]

I thought that could just be explained by being a BEATER and knowing the strategy of all the bosses, as well as the bosses just seemingly giving way more EXP. The AR game seemed to not really appear to involve stats and what not as well. I just kind of wished they went into more of his anguish and such over it. He was all mad and saddened during the battle montage but nothing appeared stated beyond the one dude commenting "why so serious its just a game ;( "

deanote666

End-movie spoilers
Yuna told them that the Augma had a hidden "Full Dive" function, so that they used it to access Aincard. As for the GGO/ALO players joining them, Yui accessed her Game Master rights to so-call link access for their ALO/GGO avatars to join in the battle (bit of an asspull but eeehhh)

Leafa was able to join in because Suguha showed them that she snuck her Amusphere headset to the Kendo camp

I was thinking that the final boss was linked to the system copying memories, not new Aincrad. Yui couldn't get into the former, unless Yuna let her in? If it was linked to new Aincrad, they would have essentially cleared the new one early too and that should have been note worthy in the background news reports. Clearing the final SAO boss only seemed to have effects in the AR game.

I guess I missed where Yui got admin rights in ALO/etc. If they specifically said she used admin rights in the movie, I missed it.

I remember Suguha saying she had her Amusphere, I only have issues as to how she got into the final battle.

Edit: To all the SAO haters out there, why do you still watch it and put so much time into your reviews saying it's bad? (referencing earlier posts). So many people here saying they hate it but still watch it. Not looking to start something, I just want to know why.

Edit: To all the SAO haters out there, why do you still watch it and put so much time into your reviews saying it's bad? (referencing earlier posts). So many people here saying they hate it but still watch it. Not looking to start something, I just want to know why.
Because for me thats a testament to the aspects I legitimately like still making it worth it despite having major problems with others.

I'd say something similar for stuff like Mummy 3 or Van Helsing.

Just watched the movie and my god the hype was real. The cinema was full too! Didn't know there were so many SAO fans in Mexico. The movie was very good, soundtrack was on point and my god the ending fight was pure fan service, that
Yuuki
bit made drop a single manly tear
of hype!
The only things that I didn't like as always were the cringe moments when Kirito's harem fight for his attention and Yui is still flying around being stupid instead of being deleted already. Also the part when
my boy Klein appeared to have
died made me
sweaty, lol
. Overall I left hyped for the next season, 8/10, will listen to the OST regularly!

Sakura

Saw this in theatres a few weeks ago. I don't like SAO, but enjoyed the movie, even if the plot was a little silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom