• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss US version - What's the deal?

Joe Molotov said:
Because the game's still fun? Not that this would factor into GAF's OMGWTF Overreaction Rating.

I didn't say not to buy it. But the fans really have to fight back if they want their way.

Being cheap on the VA work just bugs me a little, but I didn't even know the skits in Symponia were voiced initially, and it didn't bother me too badly. But knowing that a game's content was CENSORED, that bothers me immensely. And sometimes it's not even something that would affect the game's rating one way or the other, they just take it out to make it a cleaner, friendlier production. That drives me up the wall.

For instance, I've heard that part of the fun of Namco vs. Capcom is the dialogue, and some of it gets raunchy or rough. You know it'd all be watered-down by the time it got here, that is if Namco would even bother to bring it over. But they won't, because the audience would be too small, and they wouldn't let anyone else try even if they wanted to.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FateBreaker said:
No, honestly no.

The people that honestly care are the ones that know how awesome it is in the Japanese version; spoiled, perhaps. It'd be NICE to have it and no censoring of blood and crap, but I'm not basing the purchase of a potentially awesome game on that. I'm thankful for what I get -- even with their cheap-ass budget Namco has.
I gotta call bullshit that man, VA adds a lot to the story A LOT. I would not playing DDS without the VA seriously. the VA in DDS is bloody fantastic and it makes the characters more alive.

seriously I dont get how you can defend something like this, you get a crappy version for 40 bucks how can you be happy about that?

and that low budget excuse is bullshit how come atlus a much smaller company than Namco USA delivered one of the best VA in JRPGs ever with DDS1/2? it's not about low budget it's about Namco USA not GIVING A SHIT about it's fans.

duckroll

Kulock said:
For instance, I've heard that part of the fun of Namco vs. Capcom is the dialogue, and some of it gets raunchy or rough. You know it'd all be watered-down by the time it got here, that is if Namco would even bother to bring it over. But they won't, because the audience would be too small, and they wouldn't let anyone else try even if they wanted to.

I think the problem with Namco x Capcom is much more complex than Namco simply not wanting to bring it over. Firstly there's the licensing, not just the licensing of the characters but the music which uses many character and game themes from various games. Then there's the limited appeal in the first place. Let's face it, strategy RPGs are popular on GAF and work for niche releases like Atlus games, but it's not exactly a hot genre in the west. Finally there's the problem of how there are TONS of characters in the game that come from games never released in the west ever. Too many hurdles for too little return.

I don't blame Namco for not bringing this to the US, but I still blame them for everything else! :lol

Error2k4 said:
I gotta call bullshit that man, VA adds a lot to the story A LOT. I would not playing DDS without the VA seriously. the VA in DDS is bloody fantastic and it makes the characters more alive.

seriously I dont get how you can defend something like this, you get a crappy version for 40 bucks how can you be happy about that?

and that low budget excuse is bullshit how come atlus a much smaller company than Namco USA delivered one of the best VA in JRPGs ever with DDS1/2? it's not about low budget it's about Namco USA not GIVING A SHIT about it's fans.

QFT, I've always thought about Atlus and Namco in comparison. Namco should be perfectly capable of doing a proper localization.

MrDaravon

duckroll said:
See here's the biggest problem I have with people like you. By NOT caring about the quality of a localization, and saying you're happy to have it in the first place, you're doing a HUGE injustice to people that actually put good time, effort and money into making a good localization. Are you saying that Atlus, Square Enix, and even Capcom these day, are totally WASTING THEIR TIME putting in more effort into localizations? I mean since you don't care at all, they must be!

The problem with that is that most people (read: NOT GAF people) don't care, don't know, and this will not affect their purchase either way. So in theory I don't buy a poorly localized title of a game I really want to protest the localization. I never get to play the game, and realistically there will never be a boycott of any real size to the point where they take notice. And even if that somehow magically happened they would probably just stop releasing the games period due to "poor sales."

It's shitty on Namco's part, but realistically there's nothing that a very very small portion of upset gamers are going to do to change that, even if they all boycotted the game.

duckroll said:
See here's the biggest problem I have with people like you. By NOT caring about the quality of a localization, and saying you're happy to have it in the first place, you're doing a HUGE injustice to people that actually put good time, effort and money into making a good localization. Are you saying that Atlus, Square Enix, and even Capcom these day, are totally WASTING THEIR TIME putting in more effort into localizations? I mean since you don't care at all, they must be!

I appreciate good localization! What I'm saying is I'd like to think Namco is perhaps getting better -- better than what they released "Tales of Destiny II", right?? Atlus, XSeed ... These companies I love, because they get games that people want, and they translate them well, since no one else did.

Namco has a fanbase of Tales games, because of the Tales games. Not because of their localization. Atlus has a fanbase because of their awesome localizations and selection in games to bring over (amoung other things, like SMT). Ultimately the Tales fans bitch allllllll the time to Namco, saying more of what we want, etc. And hopefully they're getting that more and more. But to not play the entire game for no voice skits and censorship? nah, that's pretty stupid to me.

In a perfect world if Atlus gave us an alternative choice and published the game with their localization, I'd be way more enthusiastic about that.

LegatoB said:
Oh no, it's quite clear SCEA will allow it if you're in good with them. Or are them. And I've seen nothing to indicate they've ever tried to get it in there in Japanese. Or tried just dubbing all the damn dialog.

SCEA also can and will screw over companies it's supposedly "in good with." SCEA's not going to bend over backward for a Tales game.

LegatoB said:
I can and will compare them all I like! If an E is not enough for the game, give it an E10+ or a Teen (which is what most RPGs get ANYWAY). Hell, if a game's really got that much violent content, M will easily cover it (and no one is buying Xenosaga anyway, so who cares if it's M? :D)

Go ahead and compare them if you want, but they have completely different rules and regulations. That's like comparing censorship-happy German rating regulations to the ESRB. Totally different rules, and totally irrelevant to the discussion. Now, I do agree with you. There's no reason in my mind why Namco couldn't have aimed for an "M" rating with Xenosaga. But any other country's rating board is irrelevant to the discussion.

Error2k4 said:

The answer's right there: "much smaller company." Never underestimate the BS of corporate bureaucracy. Especially Japanese corporate bureaucracy.

Alex

Namco sucks for sure, they're the least reliable of just about any JP > US publisher branch, along with Sony, but this has been going on since the original Destiny release here. Oddly enough the localizations have gotten signifigantly better, although that probably just adds more to the sad state of affairs. :p

If the people who deeply felt something for it boycotted, I doubt it'd make much of a difference. These games dont sell well, they have a small budget, not much you can do.

It's a state of apathy for me, as I discussed this to death at GAF... About six years ago, back when I was actually active and contributed! :) But nowadays, blah, I don't care for gaming VA, and I don't really play Tales titles for their narrative in the least, so I just let it go.

Although the censorship evades me... But it's always been there. Pretty fruity in this day and age, especially for such a niche product.

Anyhow, maybe if they did the smart gig and ported these things to Nintendo consoles for the states, taking advanage of the 1 to 100 RPG ratio between the two, they could get more Symphonia level sales on their hands, and thus afford the work that the fans want.

Edit: DDS titles did not have a lot of voice work, it was amoung the better attempts at a dub, but the skits in Tales games are pretty hefty work, to be fair.

Error2k4 said:

I'm pretty sure the marketing side is different than the localization side. Marketing side: Here's [a low amount of money], get Tales out because yeah -- next work on .hack!" The localization side: "Shit...how are we going to make this good with our budget? OK, well ..." And because of lacking sales, it's a facious never-ending cycle. PERHAPS if this sells well maybe they'll start to realize it more.......but I doubt it

Atlus: "Ok guys, let's concentrate on this; the fans want some excellent voice acting so let's give them some excellent voice acting" And since Atlus IS ALL ABOUT LOCALIZATION, their budget isn't hindered as much.

duckroll

I think the best scenario we can hope for is that in the coming months, a jet containing all the top executives from Namco Hometek crashes on a remote island and while they're missing Atlus replaces them with clones that have been prepared for a moment like this for years. :D

I think people are giving Atlus way too much credit. Yeah, they have good voice overs, but most of the voice overs in their games are short.

totoro'd

ruby_onix said:
You're confusing "bought" with "enjoyed".

Actually, I "bought" and "enjoyed" ToS :)

I'm not sure what everyone's complaining about. Is there a thread or list of all the changes from the JP and the English version?

LevelNth

Banned
duckroll said:
By Dec 2006, all the titles except Rogue Galaxy will have been released in the US! What's going on Sony! :lol
I know you're probably joking, and thus my post will end up being lame, but I think Sony pushed it back intentionally, due to FFXII and the PS3 launch; they know the game can do well, so they don't want to squander it against too much competition.

So...what´s so bad about Abyss?? What was changed?? Is it only voiced skits??

If that is the only thing that has been cut out...what´s the problem?? Yeah, it kinda sucks, but it´s not really important.

Joe Molotov

DarknessTear said:
I didn't say not to buy it. But the fans really have to fight back if they want their way.

Fight back how? With boycotts? Yeah, I'm sure that's going to work. If enough people don't buy it, they just won't release anymore, or will give them an even lesser budget for localization next time. Or maybe we could start an online petition!

SantaC

Joe Molotov said:
Fight back how? With boycotts? Yeah, I'm sure that's going to work. If enough people don't buy it, they just won't release anymore. Or maybe we could start an online petition!

:lol

kinda true though. Less sales = no more games brought over.

Cheerilee

LoathsomeCorpse said:
I doubt there's enough room on the disc to allow for both languages, given the amount of spoken dialogue in the game. And if you're talking about leaving in only Japanese, then forget it. SCEA won't allow it.
They don't need enough space for two dubs. The English dub is only a fraction of one.

And if the Japanese disc is packed so full that it can't fit that fraction of an English dub, they should just make an even smaller fraction dub. Everyone would win that way.

Link1110

duckroll said:
There are so many other options available this Fall, I don't see why anyone would allow themselves to be held hostage by a stupid 5th rate loser company like Namco Hometek. Well then again since none of their RPGs really sell, I guess it's only a small tiny silly percentage of gamers that enjoy self abuse. :lol

Umm, the gameplay's all there, and the skit voices aren't the be all and end all of the world.

Kusagari

I am damn pissed and fed up at Namco USA for continuing to do this. I don't even want to hear that 'budget' crap. You're going to tell me NIPPON ICHI can afford quality voice actors but a huge company like Namco can't?

Kusagari said:
I am damn pissed and fed up at Namco USA for continuing to do this. I don't even want to hear that 'budget' crap. You're going to tell me NIPPON ICHI can afford quality voice actors but a huge company like Namco can't?

Makai Kingdom had quality voice actors? :lol

ruby_onix said:
They don't need enough space for two dubs. The English dub is only a fraction of one.

And if the Japanese disc is packed so full that it can't fit that fraction of an English dub, they should just make an even smaller fraction dub. Everyone would win that way.

Actually, they would need enough space for two dubs. If you want to include Japanese voice acting in your game, you must also include English voice acting for the same lines. You aren't allowed to have Japanese-only dubs for any lines in the game.

Abel

To play devil's advocate a lil bit here, but ATLUS, while a lot better in this day and age, weren't always without fault when it comes to censoring or editing things. Can you say the horror and travesty that is Persona 1 with all the main character's bust art redone (to be more "americanized") and the entire Snow Queen quest being removed? (that's like a whole nother alternate story route of the game :lol ).

Besides its a lot easier to complain and whine if you can play the original version of a game via a JPS2 or otherwise in its entirety let alone do that and understand it ;). And for those who can't they're just happy to get the game localized period, lest they rely on story summaries, playing the jp ver w/ a FAQ, or wait for a fan hack and translation :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah but Atlus has gotten a lot better now, they have one of the best localization group in the America right now that actually CARES about their fans.

Shouta

FateBreaker said:
Makai Kingdom had quality voice actors? :lol

Yes, it did. You'd be outright stupid to not think so, especially if you considered DDS to have quality voice acting.

Link1110

OK, as for if they could fit both dubs on the disc.

The japanese version of the game is 4.05gb
The voice file in that game is .99gb.

Depending on how much of the voice acting the skits occupy, it may be possible.

Lain

To me, this thread is a testimony that the American Tales of fans enjoy poo, and they say thanks after eating it too.
Quite interesting.

totoro'd

Lain said:
To me, this thread is a testimony that the American Tales of fans enjoy poo, and they say thanks after eating it too.
Quite interesting.

homerdrooldq2.gif

mmmm...poo

Bebpo

Banned
Link1110 said:
OK, as for if they could fit both dubs on the disc.

The japanese version of the game is 4.05gb
The voice file in that game is .99gb.

Depending on how much of the voice acting the skits occupy, it may be possible.

One thing I have always said as a way to get around SCEA's bullshit "you must have an english track" is to do the English is the lowest quality 9kbs Realaudio quality that you can. So that at most it takes up a 100 megs.

But of course the biggest issue with 2 language tracks are that it requires REAL PROGRAMMING to change all the voice clips from one set to the other during gameplay. Localization companies don't really have the time or budget for this part. Which is why even if there is enough space for both tracks, most of the time you still only get the dub.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
One thing I have always said as a way to get around SCEA's bullshit "you must have an english track" is to do the English is the lowest quality 9kbs Realaudio quality that you can. So that at most it takes up a 100 megs.

But of course the biggest issue with 2 language tracks are that it requires REAL PROGRAMMING to change all the voice clips from one set to the other during gameplay. Localization companies don't really have the time or budget for this part. Which is why even if there is enough space for both tracks, most of the time you still only get the dub.

Yep, programming is one of the other major issues. The reason why NIS gets away with it in their Strategy RPGs is that voice acting is only during cutscenes in which you can't change voices. They can easily program that sort of thing. When they tried to do it with a more typical RPG, Atelier Iris, the game came out buggy as hell.

Beezy

Let me get this straight...

If we buy the game, Namco Hometek will continue on with their crappy localizations and duckroll will laugh at us.

If we don't buy the game, Namco Hmetek will stop localizing the Tales games period and I doubt that they'll let anyone else localize it.

WHAT THE **** IS AN ENGLISH SPEAKING TALES FAN TO DO?!!!

Link1110

Beezy said:

If we buy the game, Namco Hometek will continue on with their crappy localizations and duckroll will laugh at us.

If we don't buy the game, Namco Hmetek will stop localizing the Tales games period and I doubt that they'll let anyone else localize it.

Decide if something > nothing or if its the other way around.

Something > Nothing for me. :D

Lain

Beezy said:

Let the game drop to 19.99 to buy it and laugh at Namco Hometek?

mugwhump

The game is censored? >:O
How much?
I don't really mind skits not being voiced, because the VA in Symphonia was so bad I had to turn it off anyways. But I don't like censorship of wieneriffic little things.

Beezy

Lain said:
Let the game drop to 19.99 to buy it and laugh at Namco Hometek?

Hmm, this upcoming holiday season is crazy enough as it is. I just might do that. I really want this game though. I don't know if I can hold out that long. I don't even think Tales of Legendia's price dropped yet.

SantaC

ok you guys can boycott, let the game drop in price or do whatever you want. But I am sure is buying it day one. I survived the skits in ToS without VA. It's not the most important aspect of the game for me. I waited since last december on it, and I am more hyped about this than FF12.

MoxManiac

duckroll said:
Why bother? Just another worthless Scamco game with removed content and a spit on your face. Do you silly Namco fans in the US like being insulted or something? :lol

Like tales games are worth playing for anything but the battle system and maybe dungeon designs :p

Sallokin

I'm disappointed that Namco dropped the ball on this, and Xenosaga III, but after Tales of Legendia's poor showing, I really didn't know what to expect from Namco regarding Abyss' localisation. In fact I was shocked that it was even being brought over.

I'm wondering what they'll do with Tales of the Tempest though. I'm sure that game would sell pretty well considering how hot the DS is right now.

I'm not pleased with the changes, but I want to play the game, and I don't have a modded or Japanese PS2 (And my Japanese isn't really good enough to get the most of the story anyway) so I don't have much choice. Voice acting isn't that big a deal to me anyway, I still enjoy older games without it.

Tellaerin

Lain said:
Quite interesting.

It's only 'poo' when compared to the original Japanese, and most of these American Tales fans don't know Japanese, so enjoying the games in their original form isn't really an option. I think a lot of the fluent bilingual types keep forgetting that. It's easy to say 'Stop supporting halfassed localization jobs! Just keep skipping games you're interested in until either the company in question starts doing a better job of localizing, or they lose so much money that they stop bothering to bring them over to North America at all!' when none of that will affect you.

Top Bottom