• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss US version - What's the deal?

SantaC

First I checked EBGames and they said it will be out October 10th, then I checked Videogameplus and they said December 1st. Anyone know the real date?

Dude at the Tales forums says it's still on track for October, but I've been harassing him to delay it and put in voice acting for the skits and concentrate on marketing, AND put it out at a more dried-up time.

However, EBGames just listened the strategy guide for 10/15....so, it must be very close.

I'd go with October 10 because thats the date i've seen on multiple sites and I don't know what Videogameplus is.

Besides, December 1st is a Friday. When stores/websites are unsure of release dates, they set the to the first of a month until they know.

duckroll

Why bother? Just another worthless Scamco game with removed content and a spit on your face. Do you silly Namco fans in the US like being insulted or something? :lol

BuddyC

duckroll said:
Why bother? Just another worthless Scamco game with removed content and a spit on your face. Do you silly Namco fans in the US like being insulted or something? :lol
That is not what I wanted to hear :(

SantaC

duckroll said:

Well it's the only option if you don't know japanese...

duckroll

SantaC said:
Well it's the only option if you don't know japanese...

There are so many other options available this Fall, I don't see why anyone would allow themselves to be held hostage by a stupid 5th rate loser company like Namco Hometek. Well then again since none of their RPGs really sell, I guess it's only a small tiny silly percentage of gamers that enjoy self abuse. :lol

duckroll said:
There are so many other options available this Fall, I don't see why anyone would allow themselves to be held hostage by a stupid 5th rate loser company like Namco Hometek. Well then again since none of their RPGs really sell, I guess it's only a small tiny silly percentage of gamers that enjoy self abuse. :lol

Oh stop it. The game is supposed to be excellent. We can handle skits not being voice-acted and maybe blood not shown.

SantaC

duckroll said:

I admit; I love the Tales games, and very few of them gets localized to the west. Therefore ToA is high on my list these holidays.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I certainly don't support what Namco Hometek is doing with the US release, but the game was really good and I would recommend it to people even with the cuts.

I'll never buy another US release of a Tales game, though. :p

What exactly is suppoed to be cut, though? I can't recall anything that would deem such an action within the game.

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
Oh stop it. The game is supposed to be excellent. We can handle skits not being voice-acted and maybe blood not shown.

Yeah, yeah. Keep it up. Once Namco goes bust, you'll lose your job too! :lol

SantaC

dark10x said:
I'll never buy another US release of a Tales game, though. :p

Well it's easy for you to say since I assume you know japanese, and therefore can enjoy the jpn version to max :p

Some people in the US still enjoyed Symphonia so it should be fine.

yup around 300-400K did.

Link316

Banned
duckroll said:

that dude at the Tales forum says its the best they can do with their limited budget

Bebpo

Banned
Link316 said:
that dude at the Tales forum says its the best they can do with their limited budget

I'm pretty sure we could get a group of gaffers to voice all the characters in all the skits for free if budget was the problem :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this comes out the same day as Devil Summoner

the choice is obvious, I'll support a company that actually does it job with localizations.

Im still bitter about no V & B

SantaC

duckroll, so full of rage :lol

well I agree that it's shitty that they cut out good things, however being a US gamer is still an upgrade over being a euro gamer. You should try being a euro gamer duckroll :lol :lol

LegatoB

FateBreaker said:
At this point it's more of an insult to the US consumers than anything else. If you're too lazy to dub the entire game, sell your soul to Satan so SCEA will let you leave in the Japanese voice acting (or at least make the skits regular button-advanced dialog sequences). If Japan's CERO, one of the most whiny ratings boards out there, will allow a given amount of blood, surely you can get aim for the matching ESRB rating. If they'd stop treating the people who buy their games in the US like second-class citizens by always removing stuff because they're too cheap or lazy or both, maybe I would be able to complain about the game purely on its own merits (or lack thereof) rather than what shitty thing Namco Hometek has done this week. :lol

Bebpo said:
I'm pretty sure we could get a group of gaffers to voice all the characters in all the skits for free if budget was the problem :)

OMG...Bebpo, BEST IDEA EVER.

You know it's interesting. I created a poll/thread in the TotA forums there, and basically asking would a delay for voiced-out skits be worth it? Surprisingly, it's pretty neck and neck if you travel there to see the results. Seems like most don't give a damn about the voiced skits. (I'd like...but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to.)

LegatoB said:
At this point it's more of an insult to the US consumers than anything else. If you're too lazy to dub the entire game, sell your soul to Satan so SCEA will let you leave in the Japanese voice acting (or at least make the skits regular button-advanced dialog sequences). If Japan's CERO, one of the most whiny ratings boards out there, will allow a given amount of blood, surely you can get aim for the matching ESRB rating. If they'd stop treating the people who buy their games in the US like second-class citizens by always removing stuff because they're too cheap or lazy or both, maybe I would be able to complain about the game purely on its own merits (or lack thereof) rather than what shitty thing Namco Hometek has done this week. :lol

An insult? God, you guys go to the extreme. It sucks, but it's OK, especially for a 40-dollar price tag. Aren't we happy this is coming here in the first place?

Bebpo

Banned
FateBreaker said:
OMG...Bebpo, BEST IDEA EVER.

You know it's interesting. I created a poll/thread in the TotA forums there, and basically asking would a delay for voiced-out skits be worth it? Surprisingly, it's pretty neck and neck if you travel there to see the results. Seems like most don't give a damn about the voiced skits. (I'd like...but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to.)

Yep. And there's the reason why they don't care enough to spend the $$$ and time on them. :\

I really do wonder how techinically hard it would be to fan-dub a game. It would be a pretty amusing experiment to get a GAF group together on a weekend and dub an entire game :)

LegatoB

FateBreaker said:
An insult? God, you guys go to the extreme.
Are you new here? :lol

It sucks, but it's OK, especially for a 40-dollar price tag. Aren't we happy this is coming here in the first place?
I've been spoiled by companies like Atlus, Nippon Ichi, Square-Enix, and in fact most other RPG publishers who manage to dub all the content in the game that originally had voice acting. :lol

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
An insult? God, you guys go to the extreme. It sucks, but it's OK, especially for a 40-dollar price tag. Aren't we happy this is coming here in the first place?

And this, is why Namco can get away with doing it everytime. "Even if we spend no effort and no budget while charging full price, Fatebreaker will buy it!" :lol

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
geez guys give fatebreaker a break.

He's the ultimate apologist. He defends Namco for censoring Xenosaga games, he defends Namco for cutting out everything they can from Tales games, and backs them up like it's acceptable given the quality of localizations nowadays. Why should anyone give him a break for supporting mediocricy? If anything by taking this attitude he is just as guity as Namco Hometek for the quality of their localizations. No supply without the demand!

And no, no one is "lucky" to have these games in the first place. There are MANY companies who would be more than willing to localize these titles with far better standards, except Namco Hometek willfully blocks them so they can gut the games themselves. Everyone knows this. Continuing to support this bullshit is just retarded.

I find it hilarious that Fatebreaker will go to such lengths to defend Namco Hometek because of the supposed quality of all these games whenever word gets out that something is removed or censored, when he himself hasn't even played any of them. He's just a stupid bandwagoner based on impressions of others. That just makes it all the sadder. He's a delusion fanboy with no quality values. LAME.

duckroll said:
He's the ultimate apologist. He defends Namco for censoring Xenosaga games, he defends Namco for cutting out everything they can from Tales games, and backs them up like it's acceptable given the quality of localizations nowadays. Why should anyone give him a break for supporting mediocricy? If anything by taking this attitude he is just as guity as Namco Hometek for the quality of their localizations. No supply without the demand!

And no, no one is "lucky" to have these games in the first place. There are MANY companies who would be more than willing to localize these titles with far better standards, except Namco Hometek willfully blocks them so they can gut the games themselves. Everyone knows this. Continuing to support this bullshit is just retarded.

I find it hilarious that Fatebreaker will go to such lengths to defend Namco Hometek because of the supposed quality of all these games whenever word gets out that something is removed or censored, when he himself hasn't even played any of them. He's just a stupid bandwagoner based on impressions of others. That just makes it all the sadder. He's a delusion fanboy with no quality values. LAME.

fanboy? o_O

I play all of these games. From all the companies. Your thinking is off. I'm not a bandwagoner, I pretty much buy every big game that comes out or is recommended by neoGAF, and give a lot of games a chance if received well.

My whole point is yes, I frankly don't care about AN AMAZING ORGASMIC localization as much as I care about getting the game, period. I don't like Namco Hometek; I never said I did. I'm plenty sure that Atlus would translate it 100 times better. But Namco doesn't let others publish this series, so I have to..I suppose..compromise?

I like Namco's RPG's a lot -- Tales in particular. But that doesn't mean I like the US branch's localization. But since I can't read Japanese, why can't I be excited for the US version --crappy localization or not-- coming here?

No quality values? What, do you mean by that? I don't support the translation, I just support us getting these damn games. And I don't defend Namco with cersoring their stuff, I just don't go to the extreme; I mean, other than censoring blood, they didn't do too bad just with localizing xeno ep 3 ... did they?

duckroll

SailorDaravon said:
Unless Duckroll is coming to my house to translate the JP version while I play it, I'm buying the US version.

I'll do that right after you provide me with an uncensored God of War that'll work on a NTSC/J system. :/

FateBreaker said:
My whole point is yes, I frankly don't care about AN AMAZING ORGASMIC localization as much as I care about getting the game, period. I don't like Namco Hometek; I never said I did. I'm plenty sure that Atlus would translate it 100 times better. But Namco doesn't let others publish this series, so I have to..I suppose..compromise?

I like Namco's RPG's a lot -- Tales in particular. But that doesn't mean I like the US branch's localization. But since I can't read Japanese, why can't I be excited for the US version --crappy localization or not-- coming here?

No quality values? What, do you mean by that? I don't support the translation, I just support us getting these damn games. And I don't defend Namco with cersoring their stuff, I just don't go to the extreme; I mean, other than censoring blood, they didn't do too bad just with localizing xeno ep 3 ... did they?

You gotta fight the bullshit, man. Why should you be happy with their poor localization when you have to PAY for the game?

DarknessTear said:
You gotta fight the bullshit, man. Why should you be happy with their poor localization when you have to PAY for the game?

because if the game itself is good, and is only offered in English by Hometek, what other option do I have? I don't have time to learn Japanese =\

duckroll

SailorDaravon said:
God of War was censored in Japan?

Yeah, it was published by Capcom too. I had a thread some time back about how CERO doesn't seem to let Capcom get a break. Their own titles (RE4, Shadow of Rome, Dead Rising) all seem to have to undo the axe before getting a CERO rating, and even their US licensed titles like God of War get censored. Basically under CERO guidelines you can't have nudity, or certain realistic decapitations/multilations of human enemies. Capcom also publishes the GTA and True Crime games in Japan too, so I think they just have a negative image as far as violence and stuff goes. Sad. :(

LegatoB said:
At this point it's more of an insult to the US consumers than anything else. If you're too lazy to dub the entire game,
It has nothing to do with laziness. It has to do with the budget, as the localization staff has said repeatedly.

LegatoB said:
sell your soul to Satan so SCEA will let you leave in the Japanese voice acting (or at least make the skits regular button-advanced dialog sequences).

I doubt there's enough room on the disc to allow for both languages, given the amount of spoken dialogue in the game. And if you're talking about leaving in only Japanese, then forget it. SCEA won't allow it.

LegatoB said:
If Japan's CERO, one of the most whiny ratings boards out there, will allow a given amount of blood, surely you can get aim for the matching ESRB rating.

You can't compare CERO to ESRB. The matching ESRB rating for Tales of the Abyss would be "E." The ESRB would never rate a game with Abyss' content "E." Ever.

Alex

It's video game voice acting... Does anyone honestly care? Given the going rate of video game voice overs is a Z- quality dub, or an overacted, mega shrill, ear bleeding JP track every so often, I think I'll live.

duckroll

LoathsomeCorpse said:
You can't compare CERO to ESRB. The matching ESRB rating for Tales of the Abyss would be "E." The ESRB would never rate a game with Abyss' content "E." Ever.

Who the hell is talking about Tales of the Abyss here? The CERO rating for Xenosaga Ep1 and Ep3 are 15+. :p

Joe Molotov

DarknessTear said:

Because the game's still fun? Not that this would factor into GAF's OMGWTF Overreaction Rating.

LegatoB

LoathsomeCorpse said:
It has nothing to do with laziness. It has to do with the budget, as the localization staff has said repeatedly.
In effect, it's the same thing. Namco Hometek's management won't spent the resources to get it done right.

I doubt there's enough room on the disc to allow for both languages, given the amount of spoken dialogue in the game. And if you're talking about leaving in only Japanese, then forget it. SCEA won't allow it.
Oh no, it's quite clear SCEA will allow it if you're in good with them. Or are them. And I've seen nothing to indicate they've ever tried to get it in there in Japanese. Or tried just dubbing all the damn dialog.

I can and will compare them all I like! If an E is not enough for the game, give it an E10+ or a Teen (which is what most RPGs get ANYWAY). Hell, if a game's really got that much violent content, M will easily cover it (and no one is buying Xenosaga anyway, so who cares if it's M? :D)

Alex said:
It's video game voice acting... Does anyone honestly care?

No, honestly no.

The people that honestly care are the ones that know how awesome it is in the Japanese version; spoiled, perhaps. It'd be NICE to have it and no censoring of blood and crap, but I'm not basing the purchase of a potentially awesome game on that. I'm thankful for what I get -- even with their cheap-ass budget Namco has.

duckroll

Hey, I just realized....... if Abyss is actually coming out in October..... there's still one more big title from last Dec in Japan left! In Dec 2005, Ryu ga Gotoku, Kingdom Hearts 2, Tales of the Abyss and Rogue Galaxy were released....... By Dec 2006, all the titles except Rogue Galaxy will have been released in the US! What's going on Sony! :lol

FateBreaker said:
No, honestly no.

The people that honestly care are the ones that know how awesome it is in the Japanese version; spoiled, perhaps. It'd be NICE to have it and no censoring of blood and crap, but I'm not basing the purchase of a potentially awesome game on that. I'm thankful for what I get -- even with their cheap-ass budget Namco has.

See here's the biggest problem I have with people like you. By NOT caring about the quality of a localization, and saying you're happy to have it in the first place, you're doing a HUGE injustice to people that actually put good time, effort and money into making a good localization. Are you saying that Atlus, Square Enix, and even Capcom these day, are totally WASTING THEIR TIME putting in more effort into localizations? I mean since you don't care at all, they must be!

duckroll said:
Hey, I just realized....... if Abyss is actually coming out in October..... there's still one more big title from last Dec in Japan left! In Dec 2005, Ryu ga Gotoku, Kingdom Hearts 2, Tales of the Abyss and Rogue Galaxy were released....... By Dec 2006, all the titles except Rogue Galaxy will have been released in the US! What's going on Sony! :lol

Yeah...strangely delayed; 1/30 now.

Top Bottom