• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss US version - What's the deal?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FateBreaker said:
you all treat square-enix pretty well on localizations, interestingly enough, in the same context of Namco (with bringing stuff over here, like Venus and Braves)

Because Front Mission 5 and Code Age Commanders got SUCH good localizations here :lol
yes because Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Destiny 2(japan) made it here... what's your point?

LegatoB said:
So what we've established from all this is that as long as you're not an RPG, Namco knows how to localize you. Great! But it doesn't solve the problem or excuse being lazy/cheap bastards when you're at work on RPGs.

I established that the actual translation/localization is great, I thought. The script for Legendia is top notch, the voice acting that is present is easily near the top of the barrel for American VA... the only problem (and it's a huge one) is the unacceptably low budget for voicing. If ToL had been voiced all the way through, it would've been one of the better localized RPGs this generation.

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about that. :lol And you people still defend Namco Hometek!

Look, I'm sick of the ZOMG ONE-SIDED VIEWPOINT LOLS attitude. I said that the localization team at Namco Hometek do a great job (which they do) but they're constrained by Namco Hometek corporate, who are huge dickholes and second only to SCEA in the "ruining my chances to enjoy Japanese gaming goodness" category. It actually annoys me more because the team can do a good job when funded properly.

It hasn't worked yet. Why would it work now?

Because as time goes on the pressure to localize games effectively gets higher as information gets better distributed and other companies raise the bar. Chopping out actual game content was SOP for almost every company in the PSX gen but now reviews are far more likely to call a game out for doing so. Chopping voice acting is the way to cut costs this generation but as voice acting becomes the standard that's also becoming harder to get away with.

Basically, at some point the option Hometek will have will be, actually fund a full localization of their RPGs (which'll be good, since the actual team does a great job), or just stop bringing them over. I'd prefer it if they see solid enough sales on the RPGs Namco Japan produces (which are pretty consistently good, IMO) that they make the first choice and not the second. How likely is that? Not very, maybe, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Namco just give up on Western releases of RPGs; but if I buy Abyss, I get to play it, and maybe see more RPGs later too; if I don't, I don't get to play it and also help guarantee that I won't get to play anything else Namco Japan puts out later on. The latter is, to me, a self-evidently dumb choice.

But the additions weren't a big deal and Kingdom Hearts sucks anyway. I don't see what we're missing! :lol

The additions in FFX were a huge deal. I would've dropped $20 without thinking twice for a second copy of FFX to play with the International Sphere Grid.

LevelNth

Banned
What people are failing to realize here is that this is a lose/lose situation, no matter how you look at it. You boycott and hold off on buying the game, Namco will cut back even further on localization budgets, or maybe even stop altogether. You suck it up and buy the game, being thankful we're just getting it at all, and you're rewarding them for their half-assed, subpar localizations, and likely helping to cement it as their prefered method of choice for each Tales game.

Unfortunately, there is only one way this cycle can break, and that's if a Tales game drastically exceeds sales expectations. Maybe, just maybe, that'll encourage Namco to spend a bit more, and possibly increase sales even further. And yes, this will never, ever happen.

So it becomes choosing the lesser of all evils, which is putting up with a subpar localization in favor of actually getting to enjoy a great game, and hopefully more in the future. Sure it sucks, but such is life.

Error

wont happen, ToS sold like 300k copies for the GC. surely that exceeded their expectations and I dont see the series getting a better treatment from Namco Hometek.

Tellaerin

Lain said:
You're right.
Removing blood from cutscenes in which it is obvious it should have been isn't obvious to who hasn't played the Japanese version.
Just as having half game with VA and half game without doesn't raise a concern that something is missing/got changed to someone who hasn't played the Japenese version, obviously.
I never got what he meant, i'll pay more attention next time.

Does the lack of voices make skits unwatchable? Is the dialogue they use to flesh out the characters rendered null and void just because the player had to read those lines instead of hearing them recited? (And it apparently wasn't obvious to everyone that the skits in the Tales games were originally voiced, because people in this thread have already said as much. Whether or not you think the people in question are 'not too bright' is irrelevant.)

Likewise, you're blowing the whole XS blood issue out of proportion. While people may realize that there's been a change, it doesn't destroy the story. For most people, it's not going to seriously hamper their ability to enjoy the game, especially if they haven't played the original. You don't seem to want to acknowledge this, but it's the truth.

English-speaking RPG fans who followed your suggestions wouldn't be doing themselves any favors - a serious boycott would probably just kill any chance of future Namco RPG's being localized for english-speaking audiences, rather than improving matters. Yet you'll sit there and insult those people because they're not descending on Namco Hometek with torches and pitchforks. They seem to comprehend the true nature of the situation, while you obviously don't. That makes it pretty obvious that you really don't have a clue, and shouldn't be insulting other peoples' intelligence.

Lain

Tellaerin said:
Does the lack of voices make skits unwatchable? Is the dialogue they use to flesh out the characters rendered null and void just because the player had to read those lines instead of hearing them recited? (And it apparently wasn't obvious to everyone that the skits in the Tales games were originally voiced, because people in this thread have already said as much. Whether or not you think the people in question are 'not too bright' is irrelevant.)

Likewise, you're blowing the whole XS blood issue out of proportion. While people may realize that there's been a change, it doesn't destroy the story. For most people, it's not going to seriously hamper their ability to enjoy the game, especially if they haven't played the original. You don't seem to want to acknowledge this, but it's the truth.

English-speaking RPG fans who followed your suggestions wouldn't be doing themselves any favors - a serious boycott would probably just kill any chance of future Namco RPG's being localized for english-speaking audiences, rather than improving matters. Yet you'll sit there and insult those people because they're not descending on Namco Hometek with torches and pitchforks. They seem to comprehend the true nature of the situation, while you obviously don't. That makes it pretty obvious that you really don't have a clue, and shouldn't be insulting other peoples' intelligence.

It's not me that is insulting other people's intelligence.
It's people who thinks that bending over for fear to never get a game anymore even when the publisher does a cheap localization job over and over that are insulting their own intelligence.
Sure the changes this time aren't THAT big, but they still are a detriment to the enjoyment of the games.
And most of the people who buy those games are the people that are fans of those franchises. So the insult from Namco Hometek to their supporters is even bigger.

But it's ok.

If the "rpg fans" are happy with cheap localization jobs because at least they get the game, well... more power to them. Who settle for less deserves less.

Tellaerin

Lain said:
It's not me that is insulting other people's intelligence.
It's people who thinks that bending over for fear to never get a game anymore even when the publisher does a cheap localization job over and over that are insulting their own intelligence.
Sure the changes this time aren't THAT big, but they still are a detriment to the enjoyment of the games.
And most of the people who buy those games are the people that are fans of those franchises. So the insult from Namco Hometek to their supporters is even bigger.

But it's ok.

If the "rpg fans" are happy with cheap localization jobs because at least they get the game, well... more power to them. Who settle for less deserves less.

Point blank: Tell me why getting no games at all is supposed to be better than having to 'settle for less' on a localization. You can't get much less of a game than one that's not localized at all. And while you're at it, tell me why this 'fear' is a baseless one, and why you assume that Namco-Bandai would commit even more money to localizing these games if sales were to drop sharply. They're not willing to allocate more money to localize them as it is, so obviously it's not a priority. If they stop making a profit on them, do you honestly think that they're going to bother trying harder? Hell no, they'll cut their losses.

The thing that's most annoying about your attitude is that from what I understand, none of this would affect you one way or another - you're playing the Japanese versions, aren't you? Yet you'll tell people who can't speak the language and won't be able to play them if they don't get localized that they ought to boycott them and make a stand. It's easy to tell others that they should make sacrifices on principle when you're not the one giving up anything. But hey, feel free to keep sneering at those 'RPG fans' (I love the way you put that in quotes, as if to imply that they're somehow not real RPG fans if they don't want to participate in your little boycott) whose main concern is actually playing the games, and are actually capable of enjoying them even without ZOMG VOICE-ACTED SKITS!

Tellaerin

Magicpaint said:
Pretty much.

Then why don't you tell them how to demand what they deserve from Namco-Bandai without screwing themselves, o wise one? A boycott? It'd probably just kill the chances of any future Tales games being brought over. A letter-writing campaign? We all know how well those work. An online petition? Those have even less of an impact than the letter-writing campaigns do.

Tellaerin said:
Then why don't you tell them how to demand what they deserve from Namco-Bandai without screwing themselves, o wise one? A boycott? It'd probably just kill the chances of any future Tales games being brought over. A letter-writing campaign? We all know how well those work. An online petition? Those have even less of an impact than the letter-writing campaigns do.

I simply buy the Japanese version and don't support the incomplete versions -- yeah I'd say the letter writing thing is a good idea too! It lets them know that their half-assed efforts are NOT appreciated, while doing nothing gives them the exact opposite impression.

Tellaerin

Magicpaint said:
I simply buy the Japanese version and don't support the incomplete versions -- yeah I'd say the letter writing thing is a good idea too! It lets them know that their half-assed efforts are NOT appreciated, while doing nothing gives them the exact opposite impression.

And what about the people who don't speak Japanese and want to play the game in a language they understand? What are they supposed to do? 'Simply buy the Japanese version' really isn't an option in that case - if it was, none of this would be an issue.

Tellaerin said:
And what about the people who don't speak Japanese and want to play the game in a language they understand? What are they supposed to do? 'Simply buy the Japanese version' really isn't an option in that case - if it was, none of this would be an issue.

Translation guides ftw! A lot of people have been able to play Tales of the Abyss because there is a word for word translation for it; Unfortunately, the skits aren't translated, but at least, you would be sending a message to Namco while at the same time still enjoying their game! Maybe that would make them sit up and be competent like the rest.

Then there's always the letters...

MrDaravon

Magicpaint said:
Translation guides ftw! A lot of people have been able to play Tales of the Abyss because there is a word for word translation for it; Unfortunately, the skits aren't translated, but at least, you would be sending a message to Namco while at the same time still enjoying their game! Maybe that would make them sit up and be competent like the rest.

Dude, what the **** is wrong with you? You're seriously suggesting that people buy a JP PS2/Swap disk/mod, import the JP version then play the game with a translation online.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

SailorDaravon said:
Dude, what the **** is wrong with you? You're seriously suggesting that people buy a JP PS2/Swap disk/mod, import the JP version then play the game with a translation online.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Well, desperate situations lead to desperate measures. I'm simply suggesting this for people who DON'T want future content cut and who want to DO something about it. If you're fine by this, then carry on. Why should I care.

MrDaravon

Magicpaint said:
Well, desperate situations lead to desperate measures. I'm simply suggesting this for people who DON'T want future content cut and who want to DO something about it. If you're fine by this, then carry on. Why should I care.

:lol :lol :lol

They just cut some voice acting out. Half of you are acting like Namco raped your mom.

SailorDaravon said:

They just cut some voice acting out. Half of you are acting like Namco raped your mom.

Well, maybe I'm the only one in this world that thinks skits are a fundamental part of a Tales game and are stripped of their luster when not voiced. *shrugs*

MrDaravon

Magicpaint said:
Well, maybe I'm the only one in this world that thinks skits are a fundamental part of a Tales game and are stripped of their luster when not voiced. *shrugs*

Disappointing yes. Worth getting an import system/mod, importing the game, and playing with an online translation? Uh, no.

SailorDaravon said:
Disappointing yes. Worth getting an import system/mod, importing the game, and playing with an online translation? Uh, no.

What if by doing that it actually sends a message to Namco that people don't want half-assed effort? Wouldn't that "sacrifice" be worth it if future Tales games are properly localised? Or you'd simply prefer to keep getting incomplete versions time after time? Why should they spend more on localisation when their core audience is approving of their half-assed work?

Eitherway, I've already said my piece. If you don't do something about it, then you'll continually be disappointed.

MrDaravon

Magicpaint said:
What if by doing that it actually sends a message to Namco that people don't want half-assed effort? Wouldn't that "sacrifice" be worth it if future Tales games are properly localised? Or you'd simply prefer to keep getting incomplete versions time after time? Why should they spend more on localisation when their core audience is approving of their half-assed work?

Eitherway, I've already said my piece. If you don't do something about it, then you'll continually be disappointed.

Did you read the like 15 replies in this thread that pointed out that if people boycott the games, Namco will simply stop releasing them here period? If Namco's giving TotA a limited budget, and then the game bombs, why on earth do you think they'd give a bigger budget to the next game?

SailorDaravon said:
If Namco's giving TotA a limited budget, and then the game bombs, why on earth do you think they'd give a bigger budget to the next game?

Well, the bombia sales should send a message to them. People do not want half-assed efforts! It's either they then take things seriously or they simply stop bringing Tales games over. The latter will be unfortunate, but they'd be silly to think it's anything other than their damn fault.

Seriously, it pains me that even after the success of ToS, they can't see potential in promoting and localsing subsequent Tales game properly.

Beezy said:
Didn't Tales of Legendia bomb hard enough?

But that also bombed in Japan, relatively speaking. :p

I bet they gave Abyss a chance because it's closer to Symphonia style Tales than Legendia ever was, so greater chance of success maybe? Plus the amount of content cut in ToL was plain ridiculous, so it deserved to bomb IMO. I bought the Japanese version, so I played a role there; couldn't justify paying full price for a game that was stripped of VA in the second half.

Tellaerin

Magicpaint said:
Well, the bombia sales should send a message to them. People do not want half-assed efforts! It's either they then take things seriously or they simply stop bringing Tales games over. The latter will be unfortunate, but they'd be silly to think it's anything other than their damn fault.

The latter is the far more likely scenario. And while you might be content to write it off as 'unfortunate' and keep right on importing, I doubt gamers relying on the localized releases for their Tales fix would be quite so blase about it. Like I said before, it's easy to make grandiose statements about 'sending a message' when somebody else is making all the sacrifices. Try looking at things from the other point of view.

Well, it really depends on how much the cuts bother you. I'm fortunate to have the ability to read some Japanese, but even if I didn't there are plenty of games out there that could keep me occupied in the main time (or the translation guides:p), than say an incomplete localised game. If you can manage, then more power to you.

I love Tales, but I also hate lazy efforts.

Error

SailorDaravon said:

what's so funny about that? I would be SERIOUSLY pissed if Atlus went censoring happy and start censoring stuff from SMT:N or DDS or any of their SMT games I would be pissed like you wouldnt believe.

when I buy a game... I want the full game as it was intended by the game designer himself with all the VA and stuff uncensored and unedited in a language I can understand. what's so hard to understand about that? but any tales fans like I said are ****ed because of the sorry excuse of a company that is Namco Hometek.

Tellaerin

Error2k4 said:
what's so funny about that? I would be SERIOUSLY pissed if Atlus went censoring happy and start censoring stuff from SMT:N or DDS or any of their SMT games I would be pissed like you wouldnt believe.

when I buy a game... I want the full game as it was intended by the game designer himself with all the VA and stuff uncensored and unedited in a language I can understand. what's so hard to understand about that? but any tales fans like I said are ****ed because of the sorry excuse of a company that is Namco Hometek.

I think he's laughing because there's a world of difference between N-B removing the skits entirely and just not having them voiced. For many people, the latter is really not that big a deal, and all the righteous indignation over it comes off as much ado about nothing. (I feel that if they're not going to dub them, they ought to let the player advance through them like they would any other text, but even that's a minor nitpick.) To listen to some of the people in this thread, you'd think that N-B was committing unspeakable crimes against humanity instead of failing to include some voice-acting.

Magicpaint said:

Apparently you don't really think that, if you're telling people to play the game with a translation guide that doesn't even include the skits!

charlequin said:
Apparently you don't really think that, if you're telling people to play the game with a translation guide that doesn't even include the skits!

There are numerous subbed skit translations online, just not included in the translation guide that has been written for the game.

Magicpaint said:
There are numerous subbed skit translations online, just not included in the translation guide that has been written for the game.

What if, insteand of hunting around google for translation guides of dubious utility and then doubling my playtime of the game as I cross-reference every line of dialogue with a thick, small-font printout, I don't act like a crazy person and I just play the game in English? And what if, in unison, you and the rest of the ZOMG I SPEAK JPNEZ SUX TO B U brigade got over it and stopped giving people dumb advice?

I'll simply just quote what I previously said:

I'm simply suggesting this for people who DON'T want future content cut and who want to DO something about it. If you're fine by this, then carry on. Why should I care.

Sallokin

Magicpaint said:

Seriously, it pains me that even after the success of ToS, they can't see potential in promoting and localsing subsequent Tales game properly.

Just peeked in, but I just had to say that ToL didn't bomb because of anything Namco USA did, it bombed because it was a shit game. Seriously I don't see why "we don't have the money to voice the skits" isn't good enough. The skits WILL STILL be in the game you just have to, you know, read them.

Magicpaint said:

LOL, you ARE serious. :lol

What a ridiculous (and nerdy) suggestion, not to mention that it wouldn´t do anything to fix the "problem".

Honestly,

in regards to Tales of Symphonia, I didn't know about the whole Skit thing, but reading them didn't bother me. What did bother me was the poor excuse of narrative that went on and on needlessly for 50+ hours. I was good when things were going, but when there was downtime with the main plot, which would easily last for 5 hours or more in some instances, it hurt the game for me. I still love alot of its music and its battle system was ace. I just wish its length didn't feel sooo padded.

I don't have much experience with Tales franchise outside of Symphonia, so I really don't have an established opinion yet on Namco's localization efforts =/

Logan Cano said:
LOL, you ARE serious. :lol

What a ridiculous (and nerdy) suggestion, not to mention that it wouldn´t do anything to fix the "problem".

A lot of people have played and enjoyed TotA using that exact same method, many actually did that after hearing about the lack of voiced skits. Again, I already said it depends on how much the cuts bother you. If it bothers you so much that you want to do something about it, then this is the closest thing to playing the game while not offering your cash to a company known for historically cutting content.

I fully know that Bandai Namco is a company capable of provided a 100% complete localisation, when they find out that people would rather look elsewhere and won't approve of their crappy efforts, maybe that will make them sit up and actually for once provide a competent Tales localisation.

Now....IF it doesn't bother you much, then PLAY THE DAMN ENGLISH RELEASE, MORE POWER TO YOU! Just don't expect things to change anytime soon.

Magicpaint said:
A lot of people have played and enjoyed TotA using that exact same method, many actually did that after hearing about the lack of voiced skits. Again, I already said it depends on how much the cuts bother you. If it bothers you so much that you want to do something about it, then this is the closest thing to playing the game while not offering your cash to a company known for historically cutting content.

I fully know that Bandai Namco is a company capable of provided a 100% complete localisation, when they find out that people would rather look elsewhere and won't approve of their crappy efforts, maybe that will make them sit up and actually for once provide a competent Tales localisation.

Now....IF it doesn't bother you much, then PLAY THE DAMN ENGLISH RELEASE, MORE POWER TO YOU! Just don't expect things to change anytime soon.

I appreciatte the spirit of what you propose, but answer me this. Given that Tales games obviously are not important enough for Namco in NA to give them a bigger translation budget, what makes you think that reduced sales would result in a better localization?

Error

people are actually defending this type of bullshit from companies? I mean what the ****?

enjoy your shitty ass translations and localization then.

I appreciatte the spirit of what you propose, but answer me this. Given that Tales games obviously are not important enough for Namco in NA to give them a bigger translation budget, what makes you think that reduced sales would result in a better localization?
this is so bullshit, it's not about game sales. it's about respecting your fans, cutting and censoring stuff is NOT respecting your fans.

ethelred

charlequin said:
What if, insteand of hunting around google for translation guides of dubious utility and then doubling my playtime of the game as I cross-reference every line of dialogue with a thick, small-font printout, I don't act like a crazy person and I just play the game in English? And what if, in unison, you and the rest of the ZOMG I SPEAK JPNEZ SUX TO B U brigade got over it and stopped giving people dumb advice?

You're the man.

Logan Cano said:

Reduced sales should be an indication that the market simply doesn't encourage half-assed efforts. If they're cutting content in the game, then they're also doing a pretty piss poor job of marketing and promoting the games... where are the previews? media? ads for TotA? release date? Doesn't this reek of lack of effort in localisation?

RPGs in general sell pretty well over here. Especially those with complete localisation and effort put into them, sometimes with extras to boot. Maybe Bandai Namco will sit up and realise that there is competition out there and that they have to step things up a notch or two to get the kind of sales the series deserves in the West.

I can't see how they wouldn't be able to realise that it's their own damn fault that most of the Tales games haven't sold well in the past. Competition is offering better effort out there. Look at DQVIII recently, Namco Hometek should take notes on how the game was marketed and localised, maybe they can finally break through on a more competitive platform if they actually take their work seriously... like in Japan.

Error2k4 said:
people are actually defending this type of bullshit from companies?

Can you explain to me why saying "I am going to buy the game" is defending it? I'm probably the most vocal person in this thread on the "gonna buy it anyway" side, and I'm pretty sure I threw around words like "unacceptable," "bullshit," etc. etc.

enjoy your shitty ass translations and localization then.

Everything about the Namco localizations, except the parts they're forced to cut due to corporate underfunding, is great. It's not like I'm looking at an FF VII situation here (which is something I actually would not buy a game for.) I'm looking at a game with a great English script that happens to have less voice than the JPN version. The decision not to fund a full voicing is bullshit and retarded, but calling the actual localization "shitty" on any objective level is just ridiculous, screechy hyperbole.

this is so bullshit, it's not about game sales. it's about respecting your fans, cutting and censoring stuff is NOT respecting your fans.

Sure. Fine. Whatever. You're right! Whoever is in charge of the purse strings at NH is a huge dickcheese and they should give more money to the guy they have in charge of RPG localization. But here in the world of reality it's moderately concievable that the company might improve its attitude with time (if, say, they get a new President or whatever) if the games sell well, while it's absolutely, 100%, clad-in-stone certain that the localizations will remain shitty (and, in all likelihood, stop being done altogether) if the games sell poorly. Since buying the game is what lets me play it instead of spiting myself over a dumb nerd principle, and coincidentally is the only route that could -- probably won't, but at least could -- wind up leading to better localizations in the future, it seems like the only reasonable choice here.

NotMSRP

Leave JP voices in. Works best for Namco. Low localization costs. Low expected sales anyways even when catering to EN voice fans. Namco might make even more money this way.

Magicpaint said:
they're also doing a pretty piss poor job of marketing and promoting the games... where are the previews? media? ads for TotA? release date? Doesn't this reek of lack of effort in localisation?

By and large I agree with this. I feel like Legendia got a decent push -- I saw a lot of banner ads for it, website previews, etc. but Abyss is not getting a lot of attention.

RPGs in general sell pretty well over here.

I don't think this is actually true right now. I feel like most of the B-list RPGs on PS2 have done quite poorly in the last year or two -- Grandia III and Shadow Hearts 3 are two good examples of games that did disappointingly poorly compared to earlier installments (and Grandia III was even an S-E game with a large marketing push.) Most of the RPGs that have done well, I think, are riding a big brand name, with DQ8 being the one big exception (and that game was pushed really hard and got to ride out a holiday season.)

Look at DQVIII recently, Namco Hometek should take notes on how the game was marketed and localised, maybe they can finally break through on a more competitive platform if they actually take their work seriously... like in Japan.

I can't really argue here. Namco could've built a solid fanbase for Tales here in the US by bringing over the series earlier, by advertising them better, and (most importantly) by providing a good value proposition for the US customer (cool bonuses, full VA, and added content.) Symphonia had by far the best localization of a Namco RPG yet and got a huge marketing push from Nintendo, both of which I think at least contributed to the game selling so well, and I think with better management they could accomplish at least a smaller version of that on the PS2 Tales, even in a more crowded marketplace.

Link1110

SailorDaravon said:

Jesus ****ing Christ.

You forgot the best part, you don't get the skits at all that way. :lol

mission-accomplished.jpg

I can't really argue here. Namco could've built a solid fanbase for Tales here in the US by bringing over the series earlier, by advertising them better, and (most importantly) by providing a good value proposition for the US customer (cool bonuses, full VA, and added content.) Symphonia had by far the best localization of a Namco RPG yet and got a huge marketing push from Nintendo, both of which I think at least contributed to the game selling so well, and I think with better management they could accomplish at least a smaller version of that on the PS2 Tales, even in a more crowded marketplace.

A second GC Tales game in the US would probably have sold pretty well...

Man this thread went straight to hell.

If you don't mind no voices, buy it.
If you're looking forward to it and don't like the skit shit...buy it anyway!
And if you don't want to at all because you're so disgusted with Hometek, don't buy it. Make some letters if you want to; see if that helps.

We're all saying the same thing, somewhat

But 1.2+ million worldwide sales << 600k Japan-only sales in Namco-math.

Of course! But third parties are not known for making the best business decisions... particularly, of course, Namco, Sega, and Capcom... it's always really weird when this stuff happens though. Resident Evil on DS and Mega Man on PSP? Wouldn't they both sell better the other way around? (not that it's bad that there are some M-rated games on the DS, but looking at it from a purely sales standpoint...)

Nintendo definitely pushed Symphonia hard, and attracted a lot of interest in it, and it seems like (outside of Japan) not much of that carried over to the PS2 games. Namco just doesn't seem to care... I know I wanted another one on GC. Oh well...

On that note, I wonder how ToP-GBA sold in the US...

Top Bottom