• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss US version - What's the deal?

jarrod

Banned
Viewtiful Darkness said:
It sold as bad as Tales of Legendia. Both games bombed badly.
Yep... everything but Symphonia's tanked here. I don't expect Abyss to be any different. Same for Tempest or Radiant Mythology should they make it.

Maybe Hometek'll rename the Wii spinoff to Sword of Symphonia. :p

SantaC said:
First I checked EBGames and they said it will be out October 10th, then I checked Videogameplus and they said December 1st. Anyone know the real date?

Well, the game is now on target for the 10th of October, was confirmed in the Tales of forum site recently.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48732

Packshot:
120840e.jpg

ethelred

pancakesandsex said:
that cover art is pretty awful compared to the original

I guess they are going directly for the OMG LOOK ANIME crowd.

Pretty awful? :lol No, it looks just fine, and there are hardly any differences between the two.

The Japanese cover is every bit as animetastic.

ethelred said:
Pretty awful? :lol No, it looks just fine, and there are hardly any differences between the two.

The Japanese cover is every bit as animetastic.

The Japanese cover uses the original Fujishima art while the American cover uses the anime-fied art. :p

ethelred said:
And yet... Fujishima's art is anime art.

True, but the anime features are less pronounced in the Japanese version, those aren't used in the anime cutscenes, the ones in the American packshot are the ones that are used, you can see that their eyes are larger, the expressions (see Luke's face) more exaggerated etc so that's why it's more OMG, LOOK ANIME! than the original, at least to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Viewtiful Darkness said:
It sold as bad as Tales of Legendia. Both games bombed badly.
ToP is a terrible TERRIBLE version of the game. Ugly visuals, low framerate battles, botched music, and missing features. It's terrible.

Legendia is simply not a very good game.

It could be worse, you know.

It could be directed to yaoi-eater female crowd. Like Lloyd X Zelos. Or yaoi-incest-eater female crowd. Like Lloyd X Kratos. Or yaoi-loli-eater female crowd. Like Lloyd X Genis. At least its not a Luke X Asch cover.

I first played Phantasia via fan-translated ROM, and I bought the GBA version... and, I can't even stand playing it because the battles are so slowed down. D:

I'm excited about Abyss though. I think the cover looks fine (but then again, I'm an anime fan).

dark10x said:
ToP is a terrible TERRIBLE version of the game. Ugly visuals, low framerate battles, botched music, and missing features. It's terrible.

Legendia is simply not a very good game.

ToP GBA US/Europe is not as bad as the Japanese version, the battle speed is considerably faster than the Japanese version and it has more features than the SFC original and has most of the PS1 features, with GBA exclusive extras too. I thought it was perfectly tolerable.

Twilight Dawn said:
I first played Phantasia via fan-translated ROM, and I bought the GBA version... and, I can't even stand playing it because the battles are so slowed down. D:

That's because the SFC battles are really fast, the PS1/GBA (even more so) battles are snooze worthy in comparison.

Firestorm

Attention Japan: Exposed male mid-riffs do not help in North America. You're thinking of female. That's the one you want. Thank you.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It could be worse, you know.

It could be directed to yaoi-eater female crowd. Like Lloyd X Zelos. Or yaoi-incest-eater female crowd. Like Lloyd X Kratos. Or yaoi-loli-eater female crowd. Like Lloyd X Genis. At least its not a Luke X Asch cover.

hahahah
yeah i guess that would be worse.

Joe Molotov

Firestorm said:
Attention Japan: Exposed male mid-riffs do not help in North America. You're thinking of female. That's the one you want. Thank you.

Most people will probably assume that it is a female, so crisis averted.

duckroll

pancakesandsex said:
and then get banned for it and we all laugh :p

I'm 100% sure she can post something that WILL scar your eyeballs, make all the mods laugh, and NOT get banned. The power is yaoi is not just in the nudity! :lol

Eiji

Shouta said:
Legendia rox!

Just had to chime in again!

Yeah, I liked it too but I was using Holy Bottles alot during most of the character quests and the missing VA in the CQs was a major bummer.

Junpei Heat

Power of Yaoi is too much,Im still haunted by seeing Naruto and Sasuke doing lewd acts in such a detailed way, sweat and hair folicals!!

Sagitario

Magicpaint said:
ToP GBA US/Europe is not as bad as the Japanese version, the battle speed is considerably faster than the Japanese version and it has more features than the SFC original and has most of the PS1 features, with GBA exclusive extras too. I thought it was perfectly tolerable.

Yep, I played it without much trouble...

Shouta said:
Legendia rox!

Just had to chime in again!

It gets too much hate :( ...

On-topic: I'm OK with the boxart, but it needs more Tear...

39.99$ in the end...should have been 29.99$.

Oh, prepared to be eaten ALIVE by Devil Summoner, Final Fantasy XII, .hack//G.U....

Can't wait for the October NPD :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
39.99$ in the end...should have been 29.99$.

Oh, prepared to be eaten ALIVE by Devil Summoner, Final Fantasy XII, .hack//G.U....

Can't wait for the October NPD :)

...just preorderd :D

Top Bottom