• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Mutagenic said:
I wasn't sure if the dualcore setting was in reference to the GPU or CPU. Turning it on didn't seem to make much of a difference. I figured with a game that's been out for a couple years I'd get better performance.
You should, and everyone presumably thinks my 20-30 fps in large servers is bad for a 3 GHz core 2 duo processor and a 5850, in WINDOWED mode no less. Maybe fullscreen would be better for me.

At any rate, the dualcore setting is for the CPU, and I don't know how recent yours is...I'm really not familiar with AMD. You can try using the fps_max option to keep framerate more regular at least. I have mine set at fps_max 75 since I don't really care if the framerate goes higher than that.

*edit*

Okay, rage moment. Can anyone please explain why they just made a change that...prevents you from using 'e' as the spy disguise team change button while at the same time using it as the button to call for medic? It worked perfectly with the simple disguise menu, so you could use 123e to pick any disguise on either team, quickly. Now, they reset it back to '-' and you can't have them both do the same thing. I can't find ANY other key that would really work for it and I don't want to make it middle click. :(

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Okay, rage moment. Can anyone please explain why they just made a change that...prevents you from using 'e' as the spy disguise team change button while at the same time using it as the button to call for medic? It worked perfectly with the simple disguise menu, so you could use 123e to pick any disguise on either team, quickly. Now, they reset it back to '-' and you can't have them both do the same thing. I can't find ANY other key that would really work for it and I don't want to make it middle click. :(

August 17th Patch said:
Fixed "Hit '%disguiseteam%' to Toggle Team" string and code so they're not hard coded to 'e' and '-'.
It sounds like it was never supposed to be E and that was just a bug. I doubt they'll change it back.

Anyway, if you don't want to use Mouse3 you can set it to R and just turn auto-reload on.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
It sounds like it was never supposed to be E and that was just a bug. I doubt they'll change it back.

Anyway, if you don't want to use Mouse3 you can set it to R and just turn auto-reload on.
Well, it was a really useful and user-friendly bug. That sucks. I have auto-reload on, but I like to manually be able to hit reload as well...I feel like it makes it trigger very slightly faster or something.

Mutagenic said:
I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz, Radeon HD 5870 1GB, 8GB RAM, and I'm getting down in the 30fps range on maps like Gorge in the open areas with huge firefights. It starts to become unplayable.

Sometimes people have v-sync on and don't know that it limits the framerate.

Blizzard

Banned
esc said:
I assume if you bind it back to 'e' in your cfg you also call medic every time you change team disguise?
If you bind it to 'e' then you can't call medic with 'e' at all. It auto-unbinds 'e' from all other functions.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Lionheart1337 said:
Sometimes people have v-sync on and don't know that it limits the framerate.
Nah, I stated earlier that I've tried v-sync on and off. I'm thinking this game just might be unplayable for me, and I got my comp a month ago. =P

Mutagenic said:
Nah, I stated earlier that I've tried v-sync on and off. I'm thinking this game just might be unplayable for me, and I got my comp a month ago. =P

That's nonsense! Defeatist much? (A bit laughable, TBH)

Your CPU and card should be PLENTY for running this game. Obviously there's a glitch somewhere. Are you running the latest drivers? TF2 really is not very demanding on hardware.

Yeef

I thought maybe you could just make an alias that does both and then bind E to that, but for some reason disguiseteam is not a recognized command when you run it in an alias (even though if you bind it manually to 1 key through the console it works).

F might also be a better key to bind instead of reload. I don't know that anyone really uses inspect. I know I don't.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
perryfarrell said:
That's nonsense! Defeatist much? (A bit laughable, TBH)

Your CPU and card should be PLENTY for running this game. Obviously there's a glitch somewhere. Are you running the latest drivers? TF2 really is not very demanding on hardware.
It actually kind of is, more so than any other Source game as of yet.

Blizzard

Banned
Jangaroo said:
It actually kind of is, more so than any other Source game as of yet.
The only thing it's especially demanding on is CPU as far as I can tell. Explosions + fire + 32 players = 20-40 fps or less no matter what on a core 2 duo, in my experience. Maybe it'll be different if I move to Windows 7.

Also, 'f' is inspect? I thought it was the quick weapon change, which I only recently learned about (i.e. if I press it with the minigun out, it lets me quickly change between natascha and the minigun loadout without going to my backpack screen). It's not as convenient as 'e' but I might be convinced to ditch it and just use the loadout screen instead.

Sorry to complain so much, I just hate regression. :lol

Jangaroo

Blizzard said:
The only thing it's especially demanding on is CPU as far as I can tell. Explosions + fire + 32 players = 20-40 fps or less no matter what on a core 2 duo, in my experience. Maybe it'll be different if I move to Windows 7.

Also, 'f' is inspect? I thought it was the quick weapon change, which I only recently learned about (i.e. if I press it with the minigun out, it lets me quickly change between natascha and the minigun loadout without going to my backpack screen). It's not as convenient as 'e' but I might be convinced to ditch it and just use the loadout screen instead.

Windows 7 won't really help with much. Only way to get better performance is to get a better CPU.

Yeef

Blizzard said:

Maybe it is. I use / as quick equip. Not sure what the default key was, but I'm pretty sure F is inspect by default.

corn_fest said:
What? You can do this?
It doesn't change your weapon on the fly. The next time you respawn or hit a resupply locker your equipment is changed.

corn_fest

Yeef said:
It doesn't change your weapon on the fly. The next time you respawn or hit a resupply locker your equipment is changed.
That's pretty awesome. The comma loadout menu takes a bit too long to use when you're not respawning.

Boonoo

Mutagenic said:

One thing you'll want to check is whether or not it's cpu or gpu constrained. See if resolution or AA makes a difference.

Also, for now I'd test everything in full screen, not sure if your using windowed no border mode for ease of alt tab, but some people experience performance loss from this (I don't).

Check the multicore enabled feature. With this off I struggle to hit 60 with drops into the 40s. With it on I go from 80-100.

You'll also want to be sure to use something like cpuz and gpuz to make sure everything is firing on all cylinders. Sometimes my graphics card forgets to jump back out of low power mode, and I have trouble hitting 60. Now and then my MB drops my overclock, and there's a pretty drastic reduction in performance.

As far as choppiness goes, are you watching your fps to see if it's actual fps drop? Someone was experiencing stuttering even with high fps, and it turned out to be the triple buffering that he was forcing.

With your gear I imagine that you should be able to max things out and not drop below 60.

On the extreme side of things I have heard reports of installs simply going bad that seemed to be cured upon reinstall. Hopefully it won't come to that.

AcciDante

I've been meaning to ask a control question for awhile. I used to play the 360 version when the orange box launched to change weapon, you used the bumpers. Left bumper for previous weapon, right for next. You can set up keys on PC to switch between next and previous, but you always have to click to confirm your selection. Is there a way to make it so that when you hit next weapon, you actually take out your next weapon and don't have to click to confirm?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
AcciDante said:
I've been meaning to ask a control question for awhile. I used to play the 360 version when the orange box launched to change weapon, you used the bumpers. Left bumper for previous weapon, right for next. You can set up keys on PC to switch between next and previous, but you always have to click to confirm your selection. Is there a way to make it so that when you hit next weapon, you actually take out your next weapon and don't have to click to confirm?
Just hit Q to quickswitch.

Boonoo

AcciDante said:

advanced keyboard options, enable quick switch.

Mutagenic said:
But I have a 6-core CPU. 30fps is not playable when it gets that choppy.

I'd give up PC gaming altogether. Not for you. QQ

davis2.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I would love to get drops in the 30s, I'm usually rolling in to big fights with about 8.

Jangaroo

AcciDante said:
That just does it between your last 2 used weapons though :(
Someone already mentioned how to fix this above in the options menu. You can also just type in hud_fastswitch 1 in the developers console.

Borgnine said:
I would love to get drops in the 30s, I'm usually rolling in to big fights with about 8.
Is this the secret to your soldier skills?

AcciDante

Jangaroo said:
Someone already mentioned how to fix this above in the options menu. You can also just type in hud_fastswitch 1 in the developers console.

Oh, duh! I somehow overlooked it, thanks!

Boonoo said:
advanced keyboard options, enable quick switch.

Thank you!

Boonoo

Jangaroo said:

Also note that if you haven't already enabled the developer console you can do so in the advanced keyboard options.

Borgnine said:

Sounds like you need an fps config!

Here's one that was posted in the SA thread a while ago.
http://pastebin.com/spam.php?i=zdhP7xVL put this in a cfg file named like "fps.cfg," then bind a key to exec it, then exec it when you start your game. If you put it in your autoexec, then it will exec every time you spawn and make things choppy.

30hv6g3.jpg

1zp4q6b.jpg

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Update: enabling multicore processing has (so far) netted me around 20-30 more frames. Now to find a guide that will teach me all the nuances of the gameplay...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Mutagenic said:
Update: enabling multicore processing has (so far) netted me around 20-30 more frames. Now to find a guide that will teach me all the nuances of the gameplay...

Soooooo...when you constantly crash and have other weird ass errors, be sure to remember this post and blame your multicore processing

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Soooooo...when you constantly crash and have other weird ass errors, be sure to remember this post and blame your multicore processing

I never crash or have weird errors with multicore enabled. It just makes everything smooth as butter.

corn_fest

Mutagenic said:
wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page
and for strategy specifically: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Strategy

That can be overwhelming if you haven't played a bit first. You'll pick up on things pretty naturally just by playing.

Have I added you on Steam? Steam ID is corn_fest if you're interested.

Boonoo

Borgnine said:
But... look at how ugly and horrifying your game is. :(

It's like your avatar in game form.

Ha, I don't actually play like that (everything maxed!), but I would if I wasn't smooth otherwise. Nothing uglier than choppy frames.

And really, after testing it out for a bit you get used to it. I'd say it's worth a try, at least.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
I never crash or have weird errors with multicore enabled. It just makes everything smooth as butter.
Yeah same.

If I have problems, they're always entirely unrelated to multicore. Valve fixed this problem ages ago (for most people).

New patch!
Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2)
Fixed a crash on startup with some video drivers
Fixed a bug where the speaker config would be lost on Windows Vista / 7
Fixed a case where alt-tab would stop rendering models
Made the ‘X’ that closes the achievements screen visible by default in 1280x720 resolution
Made disconnect messages wrap so they don’t get truncated
Made kick / disconnect messages more legible

Team Fortress 2
Fixed a bug in the Steamworks stats reporting
Fixed the new Worms gear not playing the correct sound during the Equalizer taunt
Fixed map cycling so that the cycle now starts from the map selected by the user instead of going back to the first map
Fixed a memory leak in the dedicated server

Have they finally fixed the Alt-Tab/Windows key ghosts for us fools who run Fullscreen?

Jangaroo

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see there. But it looks amazing. <3 Nighttime.

Clever addition, I like it. Map looks nice in that shot, I just hope things aren't too dark in the places that matter. I've played a couple of maps where the screen's practically black, which is unfortunately made worse by my LCD. I think there's even a spot in Junction like that, coming from C up that stairway on the left, unless they've fixed it since.

Jangaroo said:
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see there. But it looks amazing. <3 Nighttime.
Think Builders League United.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So I recently found out, I get negative performance for having Multicore enabled.

Why is this?

Athlon 7850 Dual-core 2.80ghz

Without it on I get a 10fps boost.

Jangaroo

OHHHHH now I see it. Very subtle :lol
I kept looking at the stuff all the way far back in the background.

Twig

Banned
Plywood said:
So I recently found out, I get negative performance for having Multicore enabled.

Why is this?

Athlon 7850 Dual-core 2.80ghz

Without it on I get a 10fps boost.
Twig said:
Yeah same.

If I have problems, they're always entirely unrelated to multicore. Valve fixed this problem ages ago (for most people).
Some people for some inexplicable reason still have problems with multicore. It is befuddling.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Confidence Man said:
Added a little something for gaf in my map. A subtle reference, but I wanted to keep it in line with the TF2 world and aesthetic.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2zfin3o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Your map is looking awesome dude, where can I find more pictures of this map/how much longer till I can play it?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Twig said:
Some people for some inexplicable reason still have problems with multicore. It is befuddling.
Has Valve said anything about it? Or are we(the few) just screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom