• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the first M rated game you've ever played?

Nukedisk

Neo Member
Probably Quake or maybe Grand Theft Auto. I'm Swedish and remember seeing both the BBFC and ELSPA rating system before PEGI was introduced.

Phase

s-l1200.jpg
What is this in english? I tried quickly going through atlus games on wiki to no avail.

edit: found it by the code lol. SMT 2.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

GTA 3 maybe,I played MK2 earlier but it was the NES version or sth...so not violent at all,I don't remember MK2 NES even being 18 but GTA 3,man,seeing the squirts of blood as the pedestrians run around like headless chicken for a few secs after you gun them down with a headshot was disturbing and awesome at the same time for a 10 year old (Played it in 2003)

Last edited:

Sojiro

Mortal Kombat 1, though I think that was before ESRB. I'm counting it though.
Exactly the same answer for me. Although I did get a chance to play the arcade cabinet a few times before the console releases, well, when the asshole older kids would let a middle schooler on the game lol.

Shwing

A few over the many years gaming.
I always remember hearing about the Atari VCS game Custer's Revenge back in the day (never 'played' it though).
Another notable title was Night Trap on the Mega CD (Sega CD). I did buy this one, but only because it had multiple FMV sequences on a single disc, which was new at the time (grainy
as fek though).

6YYHfAx.jpg
UyRUiT9.jpg

Stitch

Gold Member
We didn't have age ratings when I started playing :D One of the earliest brutal games that I remember playing as a kid is Commando Libya

Last edited:

Yerd

Probably Doom, I don't remember when I first played it. Could be Mortal Kombat in the arcades. I don't remember which I played first.

Leisure Suit Larry 6 I remember playing, but I'm pretty sure the others were before that.

Yerd

We didn't have age ratings and when I started playing :D One of the earliest brutal games that I remember playing as a kid is Commando Libya

THE LIBYANS!!!!!

Never heard of this game, that's crazy, the beheading as name entry. Jesus, a firing wall too. Never had a commodore. I had an old IBM monochrome pc with cubic tic tac toe, spiderman text game(with some visuals!), and hitchikers guide to the galaxy game.

I remember an uncle in the family had a computer that ran a couple games with a tape deck. I don't remember what that machine was. The couple games he had were like a racing game and some kind of space shooter thing, I think. Same house had some Penthouse magazines in a basket, hidden. That was the game I eventually played........

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Resident Evil 1 back in 1996

Last edited:
One of the first games I remember playing was wolfenstein. My dad would let me play on his work laptop if I got up early (he didn't know much about computers but the IT guy must have installed it and showed all the boys how to boot it up)

The game I first remember thinking I had stumbled into something too mature was a demo for the blizzard sidescroller blackthorne. The death animations were gruesome and it was just so dark and oppressive in tone.

Codes 208

Castlevania 64

I still remember the damn chainsaw man and his dogs that chase you through the garden

Edit: HOW WAS THIS GAME ALLOWED TO BE T

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I was playing games long before ESRB ratings, but the first that would be M today... Maybe Leisure Suit Larry... Also Mortal Kombat 1 (arcade) and Wolfenstein 3-D

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Carmageddon on PC or Resident Evil 1, also on PC. I'm not sure which was first because while RE came out first, I didn't necessarily play them at launch, both were pirated versions from a neighbour.

RE was far too scary and I don't think I beat it until a few years later, but I played Carmageddon for hours on end.

peronmls

I think either Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct for the SNES or Conker for N64. I really don’t remember my first M game.

First "violent" game was Wolfenstein 3D. Followed by DOOM. But nothing was like Mortal Kombat, especially then. I mean, the ESRB was constructed not long after as a result, lol.
Mortal Kombat for me as well.
But USK or PEGI instead of ESRB. I still don't know what is official here or if nothing is really official. Since Austria is listed for using PEGI but official government websites also link to USK since we are often lazy and follow and copy our german brothers' laws and actions in some cases. So I have no idea what is important for sellers. I guess the idea is parents are advised to know both logos and sellers can actually also sell either, since we kinda use PEGI, but get german localised products with the same german texts and logos as them.
The original MK was removed from the german index for banned titles only 2020. The whole rating system got a bit more chill and reasonable lately.

JaksGhost

Mortal Kombat and that's only after someone brought the Genesis version to our community center. They couldn't buy it for the center because it was M rated but the SNES version was T so they had that one on deck.

Last edited:
My brother and I had just gotten the Dreamcast for Christmas when our family's "computer guy" gifted Blue Stinger to us. Shat my pants after encountering my first mutated zombie and handed the controller to my brother to play the rest of the game:

bluestinger-1652467157974.jpg

Recently read an old interview with the developers that explains a lot of the thought process behind the game. Super interesting and takes about 5-10 minute to read: https://shmuplations.com/bluestinger/

Fredrik

I know the ESRB was not around back then but it was considered a mature game by my parents when they found out. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Heh yeah my parents never found out, fortunately, would’ve likely thrown the computer in the trash 😬

I had my first experience in how to pleasure a woman as a 10yo playing a ”game” called Girls Only Want To Have Fun, where you moved a hand slowly and then faster between her legs with the joystick 🕹️

There was the Barbarian game too… 1on1 fighting game with a headchop move. I used to draw games and had made a drawing in school from the game showing that specific move. Wasn’t popular… Had to talk about my apparently sick and violent mind with teachers etc 🫣

Ah those were the days 🙃

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

I remember having nightmares/daymares after playing Vice City. I was around 11 or so and I distinctly remember the headshot effect in Vice City, it would spew a fountain of blood vertically. I remember walking around and seeing people without their heads and blood spewing out in that cartoony fountain way.

Top Bottom