• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the first M rated game you've ever played?

shamoomoo

I can't remember that far but it might be MK2.
giphy.webp

Last edited:
It was either Prince of Persia Warrior Within, or Resident Evil 4. I know I was an early teen when RE4 came out and I begged my mom to let me play it because I read about it in all the magazines.

JCK75

When I had my TRS 80 back in the '80s.. I had. A game called Konky Dong which just had Mario jumping over giant sperm as donkey Kong masturbated at the top of the map... Roughly the same time. I also had leisure suit Larry and the land of the lounge lizards and some random strip poker game.

Mr Hyde

Played some MK1 in the arcades, but I consider my first real M rated game to be Resident Evil. I remember being so excited for it, not only for the pre-rendered graphics which looked stunning for its time, but the notion of it being really gory, with heads exploding and body parts flying when you shot up zombies. You didn't see that level of gore in console games at the time. I was also a big fan of gory zombie movies, like Braindead and Day of the Dead, so playing Resident Evil in 96 was just too fucking awesome.

MarkMe2525

My mom wasn't paying much attention when I checked out at the video rental store. I got home and popped Slaughterhouse 3 into my Genesis and got after it. Lasted for about 30 minutes until my mom walked into my room. Needless to say, my mother learned a lesson that day and made me ask her for approval everytime I rented a game after that.

Shifty1897

Resident Evil. I was like 10, I walked quickly past windows at night FOR YEARS out of fear that a zombie German Shepherd would leap through the glass and kill me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember I came across a strip poker game for PC in the mid 80's (dad's stash of floppy disk). Kids today would not understand.

strip-poker-a-sizzling-game-of-chance_8.gif
For me, it was probably French Postcards on Apple II. I dont think it even qualifies as a game. There were maybe 4-5 scenes where I think you click a few screens leading up to the moneyshot pic. And it would be a pic of someone sucking a tit or jamming a bottle up their ass.

MiguelItUp

First "violent" game was Wolfenstein 3D. Followed by DOOM. But nothing was like Mortal Kombat, especially then. I mean, the ESRB was constructed not long after as a result, lol.

drotahorror

MK2 on Genesis was probably the first game I owned that was Mature. I remember going to pick it up on launch date with my mom at walmart. I would have been 8 at the time. Mom didn't care about violence for some reason, only cursing and nudity. It was quite the spectacle, Walmart had a booth right in the front where you could play it on SNES and tons of people were crowded around it like it was an arcade. 90's was the shit for video game culture (amongst a lot of other things). I miss it.

Davesky

I think either Grand Theft Auto or Mortal Kombat Trilogy on PS1. Both games were great. I miss that era of gaming just being able to pick up a game to play something moderately challenging, but eqully fun and not having to care about any sort of permanant save feature.

Edit: Actually it was Die Hard Trilogy which was one of the games I got along with the PS1. Some great memories with the light gun.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Mortal Kombat 1 for the Genesis. A very important moment for me. It was totally awesome, for multiple reasons. I really liked the gameplay and the visuals.

Last edited:

Aenima

A portuguese game for ZX Spectrum called Paradise Cafe, there was sex and you could buy heavy drugs. Most videogame stores could not sell this game because of the adult themes, so it became the most pirated game ever for Spectrum in Portugal. Pretty much everyone i knew had a copy of this game.

PC03.png

Another one was Barbarian, also played it on my Spectrum, not sure the age rating but there was decapitations and one of the best covers ever.
pezla4fwebn41.jpg

Last edited:
Splatterhouse (1988) but that came out before the ratings even existed. After ratings were introduced it was probably the original Mortal Kombat.

simpatico

There weren't really ratings back then, but I'd say

Mortal Kombat (Arcade)
Splatterhouse (TurboGrax16)
Wolf3D(PC)
Leisure Suite Larry (PC)

Last edited:
Not sure the first I played, would’ve been earlier at a friends house, but the first my parents allowed me to own was Twisted Metal Black.

Played Doom on the Snes out of a rental store so it was likely that since that’s apparently the first since the ratings system came in to play. But Mortal Kombat 2 on the Gameboy was supposedly the other M rated game right after Doom…thing is I don’t see any labels:
dh1WMoL.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom