• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Ninja developing PS4 title

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Keep in mind that DOA is a multiplatform affair, so them making a solely PS4 exclusive title and that being DOA would splinter the fuck out of the playerbase; something that Ninja Dogs wouldn't want

Yeah, because they've never done that before.

Oh wait. DOA3.

Keep in mind that the PS3 version of DOA5U has enjoyed a lot of success with a proper, well-implemented FreeToPlay+Retail hybrid model. I imagine that they would continue that tradition with DOA6. I'm not 100% sure if both next gen consoles are equipped for that.

Yeah, I'm thankful they're not working on DMC either.

n501a053464eec.gif

yessss

Silky

Banned
lol.

Have fun playing the nothing Itagaki is putting out the past...6 years?

/me goes back to one of the best supported fighters this generation.

I wish I could play one of the best action games of this generation that's not Bayonetta.

Ninja Theory has royally fucked the Ninja Gaiden series/

Keep in mind that DOA is a multiplatform affair, so them making a solely PS4 exclusive title and that being DOA would splinter the fuck out of the playerbase; something that Ninja Dogs wouldn't want

With the exception of 2 and 5, every DOA game has always been a console exclusive for ones they were originally released on.

Mainline:-

DOA 1:- PSX
DOA 2:- DC, PS2, XBOX (DOA2:U)
DOA 3:- XBOX
DOA 4:- 360
DOA 5:- PS3/XBOX

Spinoffs:-

DOAXBV:- XBOX
DOAX 2:- 360
DOA P:- PSP
DOA D:- 3DS

EDIT:- And like some others have already mentioned, they often pushed the platform exclusive release to the limit. DOA: Paradise for example, is one of the best looking games on the PSP, with regards to the model complexity. It looks gorgeous even when uprendered on an emulator like PPSSPP.

Yeah, because they've never done that before.

Oh wait. DOA3.

Keep in mind that the PS3 version of DOA5U has enjoyed a lot of success with a proper, well-implemented FreeToPlay+Retail hybrid model. I imagine that they would continue that tradition with DOA6.

Console exclusives were Itagaki's doing though, weren't they? Because he loved pushing the most powerful hardware to its max.

Probably not going to happen again, which is kind of sad, actually

TnK

Is DoA5 being played in the fighting game scene? Haven't been following it for a long time now.

Also, DoA5 is amazing, won't lower my expectation, lol.

Silky

Banned
Damn I forgot all about Ni-Oh. We haven't heard from it since 2012...

Is DoA5 being played in the fighting game scene? Haven't been following it for a long time now.

Also, DoA5 is amazing, won't lower my expectation, lol.

It's here and there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Console exclusives were Itagaki's doing though, weren't they? Because he loved pushing the most powerful hardware to its max.

Probably not going to happen again, which is kind of sad, actually

Yeah, you're right. But it's not like there isn't precedent. I'm actually more curious if the Xbone would handle Core vs. Full version cross-compatibility.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Given their output, they should focus on DOA and give up on Ninja Gaiden.

Still have yet to see a DOA XBV3. Need to know the status of who directs that.

But Tecmo should fire Team Ninja Gaiden/Hayashit and keep Team DOA.

They should combine in to Team Ninja Theory and let the Ninja Theory people work on the presentation while Team Ninja people work on the gameplay. It'd be the ultimate third person action team that could potentially surpass platinum.

Edit: But Team Ninja should still work on the physics.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
With the exception of 2 and 5, every DOA game has always been a console exclusive for ones they were originally released on.

Mainline:-

DOA 1:- Saturn, PSX, XBOX (1:U/Saturn port)
DOA 2:- DC, PS2, XBOX (DOA2:U)
DOA 3:- XBOX
DOA 4:- 360
DOA 5:- PS3/XBOX

Spinoffs:-

DOAXBV:- XBOX
DOAX 2:- 360
DOA P:- PSP
DOA D:- 3DS

EDIT:- And like some others have already mentioned, they often pushed the platform exclusive release to the limit. DOA: Paradise for example, is one of the best looking games on the PSP, with regards to the model complexity. It looks gorgeous even when uprendered on an emulator like PPSSPP.

FTFY. 1 was included in Ultimate as well.

Yeah, you're right. But it's not like there isn't precedent. I'm actually more curious if the Xbone would handle Core vs. Full version cross-compatibility.

It's happened before, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Team Ninja's produced an amazing Ninja Gaiden before, but there's no reason to think that's going to happen again anytime soon.

Likewise, no reason to think they're going console exclusive. At least, not unless you're strictly looking at X1's adoption rate.

Does DOA sell a lot on Japanese Xboxes? I'd really love to see the next DOA be PS4 exclusive.

Griss

DoA5 is great. Wrong answer.

Hope this is DoA6.

Praying this is DoA6 as well. I love that series, and for me DoA5 is easily the best it's ever been, and it was an astonishingly successful aesthetic transformation for the series from ultra-saturated 'real-doll' look to something still stylised but far more realistic.

I do wish they'd reduce the silly bust sizes and de-emphasise that side of the game, but I got 200 hours or so out of DoA5 so whatever they do with the next one I'll be there day 1.

Just not Ninja Gaiden. That shit has been killed stone dead.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Team Ninja's produced an amazing Ninja Gaiden before, but there's no reason to think that's going to happen again anytime soon.

Likewise, no reason to think they're going console exclusive. At least, not unless you're strictly looking at X1's adoption rate.

Does DOA sell a lot on Japanese Xboxes? I'd really love to see the next DOA be PS4 exclusive.

What Japanese Xboxes?

But seriously, I'm sure that DOA5U (and its DLC) is selling better on the PS3. The fact that it has a f2p model means that anyone can download, play online, and buy characters/costumes. I'm not sure what arrangement would create a PS4-exclusive DOA, but that's certainly more likely than a Microsoft exclusive DOA.

Skilletor

I'd guess sales worldwide are more important. If it's exclusive, it could just be that TN is looking at a core fighters type of thing and maybe MS' policies get in the way.

I doubt they'd make it exclusive. I hate speculation when we don't even know what the game is, haha.

What Japanese Xboxes?

But seriously, I'm sure that DOA5U (and its DLC) is selling better on the PS3. The fact that it has a f2p model means that anyone can download, play online, and buy characters/costumes. I'm not sure what arrangement would create a PS4-exclusive DOA, but that's certainly more likely than a Microsoft exclusive DOA.

I'd guess sales worldwide are more important. If it's exclusive, it could just be that TN is looking at a core fighters type of thing and maybe MS' policies get in the way.

I doubt they'd make it exclusive. I hate speculation when we don't even know what the game is, haha.

Yea, Xbox and Japan, what was I thinking

Whatever this is, it's probably not going to be PS4 exclusive. Maybe the next game after this will be though

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Motherfuckin DOA:5:HardCore - in my godamned veins. Nao. Or 6.

Still waiting for my fighting game where you look beat to shit and the cafe you started the fight in is practically falling off it's foundations.

Griss

Team Ninja really missed a trick by not having a PS4 version of DoA5: Core Fighters ready at or near launch.

In this dark age of free to play and microtransactions I really feel like Team Ninja have done the AAA console FTP experience better than almost anyone else with the Core Fighters game, and they deserve praise for that considering how badly everyone else has been fucking up.

No cooldowns or tokens to fight, all modes bar story available for free, rotating free characters so you can try before you buy, and the vast majority of the paid content is costumes that don't affect the game, and yet that's where they make their money.

It's entirely possible to download the game, pay 8 bucks for your favourite two characters (with the 4 ninjas permanently free), have 10-12 free costumes for them, and then play without any nagging or issues at all for months on end. It's really a brilliant system, and they're one of the only companies I'm willing to buy DLC from because of that. Well, they would be if that shit was priced fairly. Which it isn't. But you can't win 'em all, and the fact that the FTP structure is good is far more important than the fact that the costumes are overpriced.

Skilletor

Team Ninja really missed a trick by not having a PS4 version of DoA5: Core Fighters ready at or near launch.

In this dark age of free to play and microtransactions I really feel like Team Ninja have done the AAA console FTP experience better than almost anyone else with the Core Fighters game, and they deserve praise for that considering how badly everyone else has been fucking up.

No cooldowns or tokens to fight, all modes bar story available for free, rotating free characters so you can try before you buy, and the vast majority of the paid content is costumes that don't affect the game, and yet that's where they make their money.

It's entirely possible to download the game, pay 8 bucks for your favourite two characters (with the 4 ninjas permanently free), have 10-12 free costumes for them, and then play without any nagging or issues at all for months on end. It's really a brilliant system, and they're one of the only companies I'm willing to buy DLC from because of that. Well, they would be if that shit was priced fairly. Which it isn't. But you can't win 'em all, and the fact that the FTP structure is good is far more important than the fact that the costumes are overpriced.

Yup. If fighters are going to do the f2p model, I hope they do it like TN.

I don't see why it would be. There would be significant crossover between Killer Instinct players and potential sales of this game.
Because Xbox is (and always has been dead) in Japan and Japanese titles typically don't do well on the Xbox in the US. It would seem to me that making something exclusive for PS4 might be the most financially viable option.

Aspiring

Thanks for the correction. I was unaware of the Saturn port for the first game.

Didn't the game first come out on the Saturn in Japan and later ported to PS1? So the PS1 version being the port? A least thats what i remember reading in SSM all those years ago.

Because Xbox is (and always has been dead) in Japan and Japanese titles typically don't do well on the Xbox in the US. It would seem to me that making something exclusive for PS4 might be the most financially viable option.
There are Team Ninja games that are million sellers on Xbox platforms. DOA was practically exclusive to Xbox platforms for a decade. Sony and MS's hardware are more similar than ever meaning porting the game shouldn't be a big deal. Exclusivity doesn't make any sense unless Sony is buying that exclusivity.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To me Team Ninja has lost very little with the departure of Itagaki. Despite determined hatred for it, they did a heroic job fixing NG3 as much as feasible with the RE version. They know what they fucked up there. I want to see what they do for Ninja Gaiden 4.

And DOA5 is a straight up great game.

HYDE

Banned
Ninja Gaiden reboot I hope with tight gameplay like I and II, forget III and Other M happened then create a perfect Ninja game.

Get rid of the outdated trash resolution ocean to mountain Team Ninja opening scene.

Borrow ideas from Bayonetta I/II, DMC 3/4, and NG I/II to make the perfect action game.

Top Bottom