• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Ninja developing PS4 title

mpgeist

You guys hype that guy up too much. He was good on NG:B and nothing more. He killed DOA, NG2 became spammy.

I agree mostly, after DOA3 and NG1 Itagaki lost it. I did not like the changes he made to DOA4. I still think NG is getting worse, but DOA5 was better off without Itagaki and is genuinely a great game. I hope the next game is a DOA, PS4 and XB1 need more fighters.

Dizzy

Banned
With the exception of 2 and 5, every DOA game has always been a console exclusive for ones they were originally released on.

Mainline:-

DOA 1:- PSX
DOA 2:- DC, PS2, XBOX (DOA2:U)
DOA 3:- XBOX
DOA 4:- 360
DOA 5:- PS3/XBOX

Spinoffs:-

DOAXBV:- XBOX
DOAX 2:- 360
DOA P:- PSP
DOA D:- 3DS

EDIT:- And like some others have already mentioned, they often pushed the platform exclusive release to the limit. DOA: Paradise for example, is one of the best looking games on the PSP, with regards to the model complexity. It looks gorgeous even when uprendered on an emulator like PPSSPP.
DOA1 was also on the Sega Saturn.

So really theres just that period where team ninja/Itagakis love affair with Microsoft kept the games exclusuve.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
japanese developers seem to be literally ignoring xbone

still though, losing a hayashi team ninja game is not really much of a loss

I want a Ninja Gaiden Xtreme Beach Volleyball !

image.php

kick51

Banned
You guys hype that guy up too much. He was good on NG:B and nothing more. He killed DOA, NG2 became spammy.

Yeah teamninja really improved after Itagaki left

His team didn't leave with him, proving he was just a figurehead or glorified PR guy

All their original fans love them even more now

The publisher they were under didn't get bought out by Koei after getting in hot water after trying to screw Itagaki out of his pay and not letting him delay NG2

Ninja Gaiden 3 didn't reflect a complete lack of competence in the remaining portion of their team

DOA5 became a respected fighting game that isn't just a slightly more balanced turd

Their games are not gigantic bombs that probably survive on a $100 DLC conversion rate for the pervs who buy them

And they didn't just upload a $25 bundle of videos (and JUST videos, no costumes or anything gameplay related) of the DOA girls dancing on the beach

er no wait, that's all the opposite of reality

RsCFEq9.jpg

So, they have another game aside from DoA XBV 3? Didn't they just say that the game had another delay? Can't they finish that one first?

Silky

Banned

His team didn't leave with him, proving he was just a figurehead or glorified PR guy

All their original fans love them even more now

The publisher they were under didn't get bought out by Koei after getting in hot water after trying to screw Itagaki out of his pay and not letting him delay NG2

Ninja Gaiden 3 didn't reflect a complete lack of competence in the remaining portion of their team

DOA5 became a respected fighting game that isn't just a slightly more balanced turd

Their games are not gigantic bombs that probably survive on a $100 DLC conversion rate for the pervs who buy them

And they didn't just upload a $25 bundle of videos (and JUST videos, no costumes or anything gameplay related) of the DOA girls dancing on the beach

er no wait, that's all the opposite of reality

RsCFEq9.jpg

BUT BUT ITAGAKI IS A HACK OBV ; A;

How was DOA5 an unbalanced piece of shit? Please enlighten me.

The creation of DoA5U just meant they had more stuff they wanted to do.

When you have characters like Kasumi and Ayane that have stellar speed and defense options (specifically Kasumi) and can still manage to have a decent amount of damage output that can get around matchups not in their favor, characters like Helena and Kokoro that can build up damage and essentially steamroll matchups in and out of their favor and win, and VF characters topping DOA characters for some /odd/ reason, and Alpha being more competent of a glass cannon than usual I begin to question a lot of the balancing decisions made by Tecmo Koei.

Then again this is me being relatively bitter that Mila--my main--isn't really that good. (At least in DOA5, haven't tried her in DOA5U.)

I think DOA5 is a great game, by the way. It's unbalanced as fuck, but DOA5U seems like a huge improvement.

fi1ip

Unfortunately a lot of people overlooked Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge. It actually fixed a lot of things and is in fact a real Ninja Gaiden game, unlike the abomination that was NG3. Some new gameplay elements NG3RE introduced are very good...

I expect a decent NG4 game for PS4.

Skilletor

Unfortunately a lot of people overlooked Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge. It actually fixed a lot of things and is in fact a real Ninja Gaiden game, unlike the abomination that was NG3. Some new gameplay elements NG3RE introduced are very good...

That's because it was like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. Yeah, it was better, but it would've been hard not to be.

How is the performance in the ps3 version of RE? Wii U was terribad. I want to play Kasumi, but I don't want to put up with the horrible framerate.

Actually more people are playing DoA5 than ever before. It's had consistent turnouts at majors from what I know. Nothing huge, but if we're going to go by what people accept or "respect" then VF isn't getting numbers and by that logic is also a shitty fighter.

I don't see how you can say DoA5 is a gigantic bomb. It has had more post content support than any fighter this side of SF. That includes balance patches and updates. I wish SoulCalibur 5 was as much of a bomb as DoA5. So what if it's surviving with DLC? That's what the fanbase wants and if it's making them money, so what?

Couldn't really care less about the bundle of videos. /shrug

You also forget that, on top of supporting their fighter very well for the past 2 years, they also released a f2p version with one of the fairest price schemes I've ever seen. DoA5 has an arcade release for the first time since DoA2. We're going to get a patch adding the arcade contents to the console release. They use the console to advertise streams and majors for the FGC.

Oh, yeah, and the game is super good. So...yeah, good riddance to itagaki and his idea of what DoA should've been. I don't think he's a hack, but since I care more about DoA than NG, I'm glad he's gone.

But, again, to the itagaki lovers: have fun playing all those games he's putting out. <3

mpgeist

Then again this is me being relatively bitter that Mila--my main--isn't really that good. (At least in DOA5, haven't tried her in DOA5U.)

I think DOA5 is a great game, by the way. It's unbalanced as fuck, but DOA5U seems like a huge improvement.

Mila is my main too. I think she is really under-rated. Despite TN's best efforts to nerf her out of existence, she can still put a hurt on. Sure, it can be hard to get in with her sometimes, but once you get into her juggles she is among the most damaging characters in the game. You should give her another shot in DOA5U!

We'll at least it's not that other dev with ninja in their name, but that's not saying much. These pack of dogs couldn't design a good game if lives depended on it.

Endo Punk

I honestly want NG4, it deserves to end on a high note. I think this time they wont fuck up the core appeal of the franchise and hopefully will elevate the combat and encounters. And if it isn't too much to ask I'd like a new IP from TN, they have become a little too dependant on the usual suspects.

kick51

Banned
That's because it was like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. Yeah, it was better, but it would've been hard not to be.

How is the performance in the ps3 version of RE? Wii U was terribad. I want to play Kasumi, but I don't want to put up with the horrible framerate.

Actually more people are playing DoA5 than ever before. It's had consistent turnouts at majors from what I know. Nothing huge, but if we're going to go by what people accept or "respect" then VF isn't getting numbers and by that logic is also a shitty fighter.

I don't see how you can say DoA5 is a gigantic bomb. It has had more post content support than any fighter this side of SF. That includes balance patches and updates. I wish SoulCalibur 5 was as much of a bomb as DoA5. So what if it's surviving with DLC? That's what the fanbase wants and if it's making them money, so what?

Couldn't really care less about the bundle of videos. /shrug

You also forget that, on top of supporting their fighter very well for the past 2 years, they also released a f2p version with one of the fairest price schemes I've ever seen. DoA5 has an arcade release for the first time since DoA2. We're going to get a patch adding the arcade contents to the console release. They use the console to advertise streams and majors for the FGC.

Oh, yeah, and the game is super good. So...yeah, good riddance to itagaki and his idea of what DoA should've been. I don't think he's a hack, but since I care more about DoA than NG, I'm glad he's gone.

I care about gameplay and DOA5 is better than 4, but still firmly at the bottom of the 3D fighter pit.

I guess boobs dlc is a sign of success...

But, again, to the itagaki lovers: have fun playing all those games he's putting out. <3

See, that's just ignoring history. when it comes out, it'll probably be amazing, as his games have traditionally been when they're allowed to ship when actually finished.

or it'll be F2P monstrosity and we'll always have Ninja Gaiden, the DoA games I played as a teen/early 20 something, and the funny interviews. Hard saying these days, hoping the Devil's Third rumors are true (that the game is shaping up to be awesome and is getting ready for a publicity push.)

Skilletor

I care about gameplay and DOA5 is better than 4, but still firmly at the bottom of the 3D fighter pit.

I guess boobs dlc is a sign of success...

I guess an huge update is a sign of success. I guess 1 million downloads on core fighters is a sign of success. I guess constant balance patches is a sign of success. I guess a new arcade release is a sign of success. I guess promise of arcade content coming to consoles is a sign of success. And yes, I guess a steady flow of new (boob) dlc is a sign of success. Mostly because companies don't tend to support things on which they're making not money.

I don't have the same sterling faith that others have in Itagaki.

Amir0x

Banned
I think the Xbox exclusivity was always an Itagaki thing. Once Itagaki left, their games went completely multiplatform.

Well, with the exception of games published by another company like Metroid Other M.

I am pretty sure Itagaki always spoke up the platforms he felt were most powerful and versatile. He decided that was the case for 360 and Xbox.

Itagaki said:
Do you prefer to develop on the Xbox 360, rather than the other consoles?

Yes. In my opinion it is the most powerful hardware.

I'd wager if he was still at Team Ninja and he did have that sort of influence, his preference might now be the PS4. But who the hell knows really

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

No. It is not a real Ninja Gaiden game.

It's significantly, significantly better than NG3 because they basically undid all the changes to the system that they made in trying to casualize/westernize the series, but it still has huge problems with pacing, worst bosses, Ryu's moveset/movement, the inherently flawed SOB mechanic, etc.

There are no new gameplay elements introduced in NG3 that were actually good. I enjoyed playing as the kunoichi, but they were playable in the previous Sigma titles with the exception of Kasumi. Co-op was in previous entries as well.

I'm not writing them off just yet. I think they realize that they fucked up, and NG3 really just wasn't salvagable on many levels. Starting from scratch, back to the drawing board, they might be able to come up with something that feels right. We'll see.

Biker19

Banned
I agree mostly, after DOA3 and NG1 Itagaki lost it. I did not like the changes he made to DOA4. I still think NG is getting worse, but DOA5 was better off without Itagaki and is genuinely a great game. I hope the next game is a DOA, PS4 and XB1 need more fighters.

I agree. I would rather have Virtua Fighter 6 for Arcades & for PS4 from Sega (between DOA & VF, VF has the better gameplay, etc. IMO).

ShinMaruku

If you have not tried the other version don't comment on it. Mila is good. she's great in DOA5u but there is a issue with how the game is played that some characters are under played in tournies because the players at the tournies suffer from Modok syndrome (Aka I want somebody else to show me the good stuf, fuck learning it myself)

I you heard some of the shit he did and said regarding doa from 3-4 you would not be calling him so good. From the DOA perspective TI was a bell end. Yes he made a great action game but when looking at fighters he was terrible. Don't put the decency of DOA on him. DOA3 was a fluke. DOA4 was his vision.

Yes NG:B was very goood but people forget that the head of 'team ninja dog' was the director Itagaki was just producer he made Hayashi actually do the directing work to groom him. But the next NG by him has projectile spam and one of the most stupid bosses known to man (But I'll be honest 90% of NG3 had shit bosses too)

So TI like many other devs can be hit and miss. He's no legend of gaming he made too few games to be considered that.

You guys blow up game devs too much they are people they fuck up.

ShinMaruku

No. It is not a real Ninja Gaiden game.

It's significantly, significantly better than NG3 because they basically undid all the changes to the system that they made in trying to casualize/westernize the series, but it still has huge problems with pacing, worst bosses, Ryu's moveset/movement, the inherently flawed SOB mechanic, etc.

There are no new gameplay elements introduced in NG3 that were actually good. I enjoyed playing as the kunoichi, but they were playable in the previous Sigma titles with the exception of Kasumi. Co-op was in previous entries as well.

I'm not writing them off just yet. I think they realize that they fucked up, and NG3 really just wasn't salvagable on many levels. Starting from scratch, back to the drawing board, they might be able to come up with something that feels right. We'll see.
I think outside for the stupid new boss fights NG3:RE has the best fighting system. SOB needed some tweaking but the combat of fighting mooks and some bosses was quite solid. The story was all sorts of bullshit 90% of the bosses were shit but combat wise, it's quite good. Only Hurrican mode is better. Hayashi should change SOB to work like intercept.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think outside for the stupid new boss fights NG3:RE has the best fighting system. SOB needed some tweaking but the combat of fighting mooks and some bosses was quite solid. The story was all sorts of bullshit 90% of the bosses were shit but combat wise, it's quite good. Only Hurrican mode is better. Hayashi should change SOB to work like intercept.

I disagree.

NG3:RE feels bad. Ryu feels bad. Ayane, Kasumi, and Momiji feel pretty good because they were added to NG3:RE (and part of why I have faith that they can do somewhat competent combat), but Ryu is marred from having been a part of the original release. He feels sluggish and automated with a lot of weapons.

DOA5U is pretty great. NG3:RE is an attempt to salvage a piece of shit. None of the bosses were any good with the possible exception of the Regent of the Mask... and for all the potential he had, he turned out to be a pretty uninteresting character.

WaltJay

I went from "Oh cool. Maybe Heavenly Sword 2!" to "Wrong developer..well Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 were cool...." to "Damn it, that's right Itagaki's gone..."

Hype=deceased.

Robot Pants

You don't know anything, you Ninja Dog.

And this right here proves it.

Squire

Banned
Like I said: Itagaki doesn't have shit to show for.

He has yet to prove he's worth anything outside of TN as he has yet to release anything outside of TN.

Devil's Third had a pretty OK trailer though!

Silky

Banned
If you have not tried the other version don't comment on it. Mila is good. she's great in DOA5u but there is a issue with how the game is played that some characters are under played in tournies because the players at the tournies suffer from Modok syndrome (Aka I want somebody else to show me the good stuf, fuck learning it myself)

I've played DOA5U. The core fighters version. It's free to play. I've tried every character that's went through the rotation so far, other than Mila and a few other people.

If I ever buy DOA5U in it's full capacity, I'm going to main Mila. For now I'm dissappointed at how they handled her in DOA5

ShinMaruku

I found her pretty decent in 5 vanilla but I feel she's in much better shape in ultimate with bounds and such, and some of the character changes that have come into it. She's not my main but I use her in tag.

I thin NG:RE will suffer from people not giving it a good shit because of the stigma of the older version. Or maybe I just find it ok because I sat with some people who really got into the game and found the goodies like Ayane's sick invulnerability frames making some of the bullshit they try to get you with miss and you execute your attack.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I thin NG:RE will suffer from people not giving it a good shit because of the stigma of the older version. Or maybe I just find it ok because I sat with some people who really got into the game and found the goodies like Ayane's sick invulnerability frames making some of the bullshit they try to get you with miss and you execute your attack.

I think you'll see a lot of that, but I've also played both NG3 and NG3:RE to completion. I'm not a newbie to Ninja Gaiden or action games. I gave it a chance. The game has problems. They did an admirable attempt at trying to salvage what they could, but it's very obviously a patchwork job.

ShinMaruku

Moreover the cnages show that they seen where they went wrong. Because it's obvious from Sigma and Sigma 2 they can make good games

kick51

Banned
Moreover the cnages show that they seen where they went wrong. Because it's obvious from Sigma and Sigma 2 they can make good games

So, we can't be invested in the potential of a guy who made good Ninja Gaiden games, but we can be invested in the one who added playable bouncy girls and downgraded the gameplay of both games significantly.

ShinMaruku

So, we can't be invested in the potential of a guy who made good Ninja Gaiden games, but we can be invested in the one who added playable bouncy girls and downgraded the gameplay of both games significantly.

Hayashi made Ninja Gaiden as well. He was the ai programmer. You guys are too hard up on Itagaki like he as a more sterling thing than Hayashi if you ask me they can both be hit and miss with their ideas. Until the Devil's third comes out you are only as good as your last work. And we have that to rate both on.

Top Bottom