• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 5: DR ONLINE - Available NOW!

Proc

Dr. Zoidberg said:
If you're going to charge at least have it include some other new content

Maybe you didn't catch the article, maybe you did, just in case you didn't, it also includes:

# Online VS Mode Play Added
# Online Rankings Added
# Practice Mode Added
# Survival Mode Added

Mmmkay

Kind of ironic that I'll be paying a little bit more to feel like I got my money's worth with Tekken 5:DR. Can't say I really felt all that pleased with my initial purchase, but these additions sound like they'll make it much more worthwhile.

Anyanka

ThePeter said:
I just screamed repeatedly, holy hell OMFG this is the beginning of the end. i don't give a crap if this somehow means that the PS3 version of Tekken 6 comes out Q1 2008 or whatever or if Lili won't get patched HOLY HELL WHERE IS MY GOD NOW?!

Why would Lili be patched?

It's funny how people are going on about finding good competition when the thread starter has played some of the best in the world. Even if you have good competition this is still super exciting!

womfalcs3

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I have T5 : DR and I enjoy it, however...

I can't believe more people aren't pissed off that they are charging money for a ****ing patch!? That's some serious bullshit, there. It should be $5 MAX. If you're going to charge at least have it include some other new content like a stage or character or ....

Namco, why don't you add the rest of the character endings for DL? Why the **** not? Why have 3 endings and none of the others?

Sorry. I like the game but some things about it piss me off.

They're dedicating servers for this. It's also a pretty major patch that adds a whole new functionality to the game.

I agree about the endings.

looks like Namco is smartening up! All they need to do now is announce Ace Combat for PS3 and one for Wii as well. I want to play an AC game with waggle controls

Proc

So are the hori sticks the only real options for ps3? I'm having a hard time tracking one down in Canada and will I be missing out on much if I go with the cheaper model?

Brofist

Mmmkay said:
Kind of ironic that I'll be paying a little bit more to feel like I got my money's worth with Tekken 5:DR. Can't say I really felt all that pleased with my initial purchase, but these additions sound like they'll make it much more worthwhile.

I feel exactly the same way. Bought but played very little of Tekken 5 DR. Now there is a reason to practice again.

I still don't understand why fighting gamers have this oh noes it's on the internet it will lag and it's a totally different game. Doesn't online FPS require the same amount of precision where milliseconds would mean the difference between life and death. If it's any fault of fighting games, it's the network code that the devs write not the genre.

I think FPS's just allow for better predicting. There's not all that much back and forth interaction, at least not anything beyond sending projectiles at each other. A lot of the strategy involves being in the right location and having the right weapons. If you get the jump on someone, they're pretty much dead. Yeah, there's the twitchiness of aiming involved, but good players already predict and lead anyway. Very good players will take lag into account with this leading and can adjust accordingly.

Fighting games like Tekken require a lot more back and forth interaction with millisecond timing. Things like breaking throws requires that you react and respond in a very short amount of time. Your opponent has to initiate a throw, you have to see it and react to it, and the response has to be sent back to your opponent. The amount of time you have to do this can be shorter than your lag, and you really can't predict the outcome. Same with juggle combos and just frames.

I still think it's great that the game is going online though. It won't be the same game as 2 player offline, but it's better than nothing.

Barakov

Proc said:
So are the hori sticks the only real options for ps3? I'm having a hard time tracking one down in Canada and will I be missing out on much if I go with the cheaper model?

Not really. I have a lower end one and it's worked great with VF5 and this game.

I can't believe more people aren't pissed off that they are charging money for a ****ing patch!? That's some serious bullshit, there. It should be $5 MAX. If you're going to charge at least have it include some other new content like a stage or character or ....

The thing is, you happily bought the original Tekken DR as an offline game. You knew the features and that's what you paid for. If they claimed online play as a feature back then, that's something else. This is something new on top of what was already there. It's still Tekken 5 with online play for around $30, which I think is cheaper than the PSP game.

mintylurb

about damn time namco. finally a good reason to buy T5. So besides markman and jolly anybody else with a ps3 getting this onrine version?

Sho_Nuff82 said:
You can always tell from threads like these that no one ever plays SF: AC online. :(

If Street Fighter 3 works online, why not Tekken and Virtua Fighter?

SF: AC is an unplayable mess, and it was impossible for me to do anything in that game and it wouldn't let me do my daigo vs. chun li supr parriez just like offline therefore it sucked

that's sarcasm also

Proc said:
Maybe you didn't catch the article, maybe you did, just in case you didn't, it also includes:

# Online VS Mode Play Added
# Online Rankings Added
# Practice Mode Added
# Survival Mode Added

IMO, If they were going to have these things then they should have been in there day one so I don't think charging extra for them is necessarily something I should smile about.

Should we start expecting games to arrive in parts and pay for features piecemeal from here on out? Not just maps and characters, but actual game features? I don't think that's a good thing.

Look, I realize some of you are really excited about the online play and the cost is inconsequential to you. I'm just sharing my feelings on the matter. Just give me the rest of the endings and I'll be happy, Namco.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There is /no way/ this cannot be a stealth public beta for online play in Soul Calibur 4 and Tekken 6.

I approve.

I think though at this point the pressure is going to be on VF - if Tekken and SC go online, VF is going to be the last major holdout. No offense to hardcore VF players, but a lotta them may increasingly begin to look like crazy coot hermits in the hills (more than they do already? ;) I kid, I kid, with love) for griping that online play isn't "real".

Kittonwy

Banned
Big-E said:
Great news. I must now practice my ewgf.

I'm just going to say that I'm going to try to be teh cheapest player online.
Indifferent2.gif

LJ11

Shane was right after all.

It shouldn't cost extra, but I'll buy it anyway. Hopefully this out in a month or so.

Brofist

Kaijima said:
There is /no way/ this cannot be a stealth public beta for online play in Soul Calibur 4 and Tekken 6.

I approve.

I think though at this point the pressure is going to be on VF - if Tekken and SC go online, VF is going to be the last major holdout. No offense to hardcore VF players, but a lotta them may increasingly begin to look like crazy coot hermits in the hills (more than they do already? ;) I kid, I kid, with love) for griping that online play isn't "real".

Actually you make a good point. This really does give hope that Namco's fighters will be online.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
It's going to be interesting seeing everyone in GAF's tricked out Tekken characters online. That was one of the main reasons i persevered Ghost Mode, is to see the hilarious costumes. :lol

You will all bow down to me ^^
imagem0306197.jpg

imagem028c284.jpg

Unless it plays like DoA4 online :p

Btw, pardon the really really crappy quality lol. I really need to buy a new Cellphone.

hyp

this is fantastic. let's just hope the online implementation goes smooth. we all know how fighters play online *ahemDOA4*.

I have to say the negativity in this thread is comedic gold all and all.
They could have very easily released a "Director's Cut" with the online and the other added things and charged the full price or more again and alot of people would have grabbed it but instead it is a cheap update.
Anyway, this is awesome news and I can not wait for it to hit the US, and hopefully it won't take as long as the game itself took to hit the us psn.

tanod

when is my burrito
Sho Nuff said:
No, NO!!! Lag absolutely DESTROYS the fragile balance of the game. I would rather not have any form of online play for anybody instead of something that was the slightest bit imperfect.

(btw this is sarcasm)

That would require Tekken to be balanced in the first place. ZING!

Post disclaimer: I've been burnt out on Tekken since TTT because I have nobody to play with. I recently discovered VF (VF4) though and I've found that is a lot of fun, even when I'm playing by myself. If VF5 had online, I'd buy that shit right now!

you know its funny how many fighting game fans suddenly are getting so excited about online when yesterday it was impossible and would ruin the game:lol

Kabuki Waq said:
you know its funny how many fighting game fans suddenly are getting so excited about online when yesterday it was impossible and would ruin the game:lol

According to the game's devs it was, now according to them it is not impossible.
I am sure those that are happy are deeply sorry that their excitement vexes you to the point where you need to point out such things instead of just being happy that we are getting Tekken online.

OokieSpookie said:
According to the game's devs it was, now according to them it is not impossible.
I am sure those that are happy are deeply sorry that their excitement vexes you to the point where you need to point out such things instead of just being happy that we are getting Tekken online.

did i sound Vexxed? you got the wrong impression my friend. I am really happy that if the online for this turns out to be half way decent i get to laugh at all those VF5 sega Jizz jockeys who said it could not be done.

Top Bottom