• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Numb

I'm cool with Law having low damage. But why is his 4,3 DSS f+4 combo ender so hard just for average dmg
full

GrayFoxPL

Why is the color edit so wonky? It's impossible to create some colors.

I wanted to make T5DR Kazuya.

x1AXxKr.png

You can't make this "wine red" shade. It's just not there. It's strange, they know that DR colors are fan favorites.

Aris has mentioned this. He said when you're near the wall and they do a rage art, as long as you aren't recovering from something and HAVE to hold back, just neutral guard. NG doesn't get fooled by camera shenanigans.

Good to know.

Onemic

What is considered high/average/low dmg for a characters average combo potential anyway?

70+ for high 60+ for average and 45+ for low?

Numb

What is considered high/average/low dmg for a characters average combo potential anyway?

Yup
50s for low
Since the scaling is so crazy the bigger combo dmg for characters with low combos start with their more riskier launchers. Josie gets some weak stuff but if you manage to land her CD 2 then you'll get a 75dmg combo
There a reason why Feng players always f+3,4 because he has weak combos otherwise

Astral

Nothing but the characters I struggle to beat with Ling on this morning, so I switch to Asuka, who everyone is dodging.

#struggle

Funny that we use the same characters with lol. Who do you struggle against with her? Eddie is kinda hard for me because of his obnoxious low stance. I feel like her medium pokes don't have too much range so it's hard to hit him. He's a lot easier to deal with when I use Asuka because of her ff+3.

Numb

Tekken Team forgot him.

Like everyone else...
If he is so boring then they should have atleast not nerfed him from the broken state he was before
I still wouldn't play him cos I'm not a tier whore like Sasuke But still

I'm online Gray come beat me up

Good normal combos are typically 55-65 depending on the character. 70+ you usually only get off specific strong launchers or situations (wall, rage, floor break, counterhit, what have you) even if you're a damage character, but some characters get there much easier than others. If you're only doing 45 your combo sucks, even low damage characters should get over 50.

Picked this up yesterday, finally. Where do I go to learn some Akuma shotgun combos?

I played with a friend last night and I guess there is no quick rematch option? What the hell where they thinking, that's so annoying.

Complaint #1. That loading between matches is unacceptable. I play a lot of player match with other people and the way it handles it is truly awful.

Made especially worse by how awesome the game is to play. Loving jack 7 now.

GrayFoxPL

If he is so boring then they should have atleast not nerfed him from the broken state he was before

That move when he kicks up opponent like a rag for a juggle is awesome and funny...other then that he's Mister Bland.

NEO0MJ

Good normal combos are typically 55-65 depending on the character. 70+ you usually only get off specific strong launchers or situations (wall, rage, floor break, counterhit, what have you) even if you're a damage character, but some characters get there much easier than others. If you're only doing 45 your combo sucks, even low damage characters should get over 50.

My Akuma combos are on the low side. Is it impossible to get over 60 without demon flips/FADC combos?

GrayFoxPL

My Akuma combos are on the low side. Is it impossible to get over 60 without demon flips/FADC combos?

If you combo into super you can, other then that yeah, his combos are hard and the flip cancel is a must.

I went into lab for few hours with Akuma and not only I was exhausted after all flip and fadc combos, I hated how stiff he is. Never picking him up. Kudos to those who play him.

All 5 of you.

wr7Rf2T.gif

Has there been any word on team battle possibly coming back? Really missing it.

Also, is there a ps4 tekken gaf community? Otherwise it would be cool to have. Would love to play some gaffers on occasion without having to add everyone to psn.

Check out my Punished Hwoarang

https://m.imgur.com/a/NXbqZ

Anyway. I'm not a big fan of adding a bunch of people from other fighting games. I'm sure it makes sense financially for them, but it feels like they are bending the game rules for them.

(I'm also not a huge fighting fan outside of tekken, so it'd be cool with someone recognizable for me).

Numb

Geese has to have some kind of weakness. Trailer's only highlight the strong suits, which for Geese, was everything. lol

He may be a little OP til the first balance patch after he's out.
Akuma needed several nerf patches
Wonder if Geese would be as OP lol

This new stick is opening up a whole new world. Might go with a more technical character so it forces me to learn movement faster.

Maybe I'll pick up Hei, Yoshi, and Raven. I think those are good selects.

His animations in trailer looked little "tanky".

Those 2D dudes need to learn how to crouch dash. Get on with the 3D times!

If they made his runspeed accurate and made hops as fast as they are in KOF, I'm pretty sure none of us would want to deal with that with 10 frame jabs. Though if he actually had hyperhops he would be so sick! And people thought demon flip was a pain in the ass to deal with.

LordKasual

Banned

About 55-60 damage is pretty good damage off a launcher, pretty much every character can easily achieve this.

65-70 is a hefty ass combo. You got hit with something bad.

Anything over 70 usually either involves a good wall carry or rage.

Yeah, it seems deliberate. Akuma was straight up broken so players could pick him up and have some broken fun. But the nerf stick had to hit.

Yep. buy our expansion pass and wreck with Goose!

...until the nerf stick slaps him hard a couple months after
unless he reverses it. xD

GrayFoxPL

If they made his runspeed accurate and made hops as fast as they are in KOF, I'm pretty sure none of us would want to deal with that with 10 frame jabs. Though if he actually had hyperhops he would be so sick! And people thought demon flip was a pain in the ass to deal with.

All possible with the right balance, eg. if hop was 17 frames until attack and he could be jabbed out of the air for a combo it wouldn't be that bad.

Kaxuya went to SF and wavedashed all the way there and beyond

Because he was born in 3D land.

Yep. buy our expansion pass and wreck with Goose!

...until the nerf stick slaps him hard a couple months after
unless he reverses it. xD

Haha. Predictabo!

Geese unnerfable, reverses program code.

Astral

What's everyone's highest damaging combo btw? I had a Shaheen take half my health bar with a single combo once and I don't think it involved Rage. It was all red so I don't think it was a reset.

The most I've done is 110 and that was with Asuka.

Funny that we use the same characters with lol. Who do you struggle against with her? Eddie is kinda hard for me because of his obnoxious low stance. I feel like her medium pokes don't have too much range so it's hard to hit him. He's a lot easier to deal with when I use Asuka because of her ff+3.

I have yet to beat an Eddie with any character, let alone Ling. I don't ever see *any* openings. The closest I've gotten to beating one is using ff+2+3 with Ling to jump on him while he is at rest. Dude wisened up eventually.

I used to play with Eddie too. Perhaps I should pick him up to see how other people play against him.

I struggle against anyone who has a knockdown sweep. For example, my Ling just got destroyed against a very mediocre Leo, but I ate his 2-hit sweep knockdown every time. If I were playing with Asuka, I don't have this problem.

There's nothing more frustrating than losing to someone who sucks (and you know they suck because you've played against people who play that character way better), because you don't know how to exploit the matchup.

I have yet to beat Eddie with anyone, but also can't beat Nina, King, and Law with Ling. I also just stopped trying against Josie.

Edit 2: The most frustrating thing about playing Ling is that I feel like I have to work 5x as hard to get a launch or CH, while most of the cast can just do their natural strings and get a launch or CH if you guess/press incorrectly.

LordKasual

Banned
Figher Rank on Lucky Chloe now. Maybe about 40-46 wins.

I'm starting to feel the pressure finally. People are actually starting to space up here.

I finally feel like i can finally learn to drop these bad habits.

Nothing but the characters I struggle to beat with Ling on this morning, so I switch to Asuka, who everyone is dodging.

#struggle

I have a friend who managed to get to Vindicator the other day playing Ling.

I would dodge Ling years before i dodge Asuka lol. Ling has alot of crazy, tricky shit. Embrace it and people will hate fighting you.

I have yet to beat an Eddie with any character, let alone Ling. I don't ever see *any* openings. The closest I've gotten to beating one is using ff+2+3 with Ling to jump on him while he is at rest. Dude wisened up eventually.

I used to play with Eddie too. Perhaps I should pick him up to see how other people play against him.

I struggle against anyone who has a knockdown sweep. For example, my Ling just got destroyed against a very mediocre Leo, but I ate his 2-hit sweep knockdown every time. If I were playing with Asuka, I don't have this problem.

There's nothing more frustrating than losing to someone who sucks (and you know they suck because you've played against people who play that character way better), because you don't know how to exploit the matchup.

I have yet to beat Eddie with anyone, but also can't beat Nina, King, and Law with Ling. I also just stopped trying against Josie.

Sweeps are aggravating, but they are never as good as they seem, once you realize that you're allowing people to hit you with them.

You can block+launch them, or you can low crush them, usually with a hopkick or (something worse if you know its coming, like Asuka's d+3+4) Try to feel out when people want to go for a sweep.

If you can't react to them (which is understandable during high pressure or characters you don't understand), then an easy way to discourage them is to get some good Mid pokes in your strings.

Most good jabs are high, so if you use alot of them, you're begging to get swept. I play Lili as well, and her sweep launcher is extremely tempting to use, but in most situations it will get shut down by people who know how to poke well.

All possible with the right balance, eg. if hop was 17 frames until attack and he could be jabbed out of the air for a combo it wouldn't be that bad.

I hope hops are in even if they are slowed down. The thing with the jumps in KOF is that they are a way of initiating an attack while having jump momentum move you, so Geese having such a tool will be pretty unique for Tekken. He also should have better air to ground normals than Eliza (well unless they do something bad to them), I'm disappointed that her air normals are stubby or aim mostly horizontal, which is not as useful since air to air isn't that big of a thing in this game.

Numb

What's everyone's highest damaging combo btw? I had a Shaheen take half my health bar with a single combo once and I don't think it involved Rage. It was all red so I don't think it was a reset.

Floor break with Katarina and ragedrive
Around 130

Astral

This is definitely the most matchup heavy game I've played. I'd say most of my losses come down to not understanding how to fight the other character. I learn eventually but it takes a lot of matches and sometimes a lot of losses. I've been fortunate enough not to face a single Josie so far.

I think i can do around 90 with Leo from round start if i hit with db3 or bok 2. On a wall stage.

Sweeps are aggravating, but they are never as good as they seem, once you realize that you're allowing people to hit you with them.

You can block+launch them, or you can low crush them, usually with a hopkick or (something worse if you know its coming, like Asuka's d+3+4) Try to feel out when people want to go for a sweep.

If you can't react to them (which is understandable during high pressure or characters you don't understand), then an easy way to discourage them is to get some good Mid pokes in your strings.

Most good jabs are high, so if you use alot of them, you're begging to get swept. I play Lili as well, and her sweep launcher is extremely tempting to use, but in most situations it will get shut down by people who know how to poke well.

I'm blocking or back dashing when they do these sweeps. For example, I just lost to a Carlos who does his hand sweep. I can't think of at time when I'm getting swept because I'm getting low crushed.

This is definitely the most matchup heavy game I've played. I'd say most of my losses come down to not understanding how to fight the other character. I learn eventually but it takes a lot of matches and sometimes a lot of losses. I've been fortunate enough not to face a single Josie so far.

The learning curve for matchups is vast. Something like 65% of the people I play on the "higher" ranks (Marauder and above) are content to chip damage and then run, daring you to figure out how to approach and hit them. Additionally, they will exploit the same roughly 5 moves.

Like his ****y Brawler Katarina who just jails me with these mid jabs and then swaps between sweeps does her hopkick. The only way I can block the sweep is if I commit to blocking to it if she does anything besides the jab. So I either eat one or the other, and all I have to punish if I block the sweep is ws+4 b+4,4 if I block the hopkick.

Her punishments on the other hand, is the hopkick and sweep, both of which combo. Ling's punishments do not combo. A LOT of the roster has punishment combos that Ling does not.

Claudio is another example of a **** character who gets frame advantage from his charging punch. You have to guard against his ridiculous hopkick, so you end up eating some pokes. And he can seemingly keep that up forever until he eventually launches you to get starburst. I literally don't now what to do against that stupid punch because it catches me even when I sidestep, so I have to wait until he gets close enough so that he would be uncomfortable using it.

Alica is another retarded character with outrageous frame advantages when she charges in putting you on the defensive. She also has a low sweep that, if Alica players wanted, could do seemingly forever, because you really can't tell the difference between her windup for the low sweep knockdown and her mid knockdown.

Leo is another character who seemingly can do mixups forever. Looks like a 1,2 3 launch or something, or 1,2 low kick. Now the low kick does almost no damage, but it does give frame advantage on hit, allowing Leo to try another string. Or, as the Leo who beat me and caused me to post the first time, she can switch that two-hit knockdown sweep. And now my opponent is safely across the screen with HP advantage and is content to wait for a time over, and I have to figure out a way to get in there without getting punished.

sasuke_91

Funny thing is, there was a time when I wanted to learn Dragunov in TTT2. Seems like I have a knack for choosing characters.

I can get 80 damage with Hwoarang. No rage, no walls. There's probably some combos with higher damage that I haven't discovered yet.

Finally got to play against a Lucky Chloe 6 straight rounds, 4 perfects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbj6Mmn6LM

Please.

Edit: looks like I've reached my skill ceiling for the day. Too many characters in my bracket whom I have very little playtime against, like Feng, Paul, Carlos.

BTW **** Paul and his outrageous stunlock and knockback. TF is that **** when you block his low that launches and it knocks you a screen away???

Edit 2: I refresh and I see Feng, K-Bob, Lili, Leo, Paul.

zzz

Astral

I just sacrificed several matches just to study Lilli. 10f punishable after one of her stupid flips, launch punishable after her slow motion sweep. Lots of losses but they were worth the knowledge and I did wreck her after a while. Of course then I fight another Lilli that played weird as fuck with moves I've never seen her do and kicks my ass. Not even good, I was just unprepared and took too long to adapt. And of course he doesn't accept the rematch. I hate people who leave after a close match. I feel like it's BECAUSE it was close and they don't wanna risk losing.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm blocking or back dashing when they do these sweeps. For example, I just lost to a Carlos who does his hand sweep. I can't think of at time when I'm getting swept because I'm getting low crushed.

Oh, yeah i'd say most of the time I'm getting swept is because I think i'm out of range but i'm not.

Most of the times I LAND sweeps on people though, i'm low crushing them.

If i'm particularly nervous and aren't confident that i'll be able to see it coming...i just hopkick lol. Worse case scenario i'll get jabbed and they'll confirm into a combo, but that's almost always better than getting sweeped :V

Top Bottom