• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Dat season pass, though...

They've offered some clarification. It's not as bad as it would seem.

Harada explains why there's paid DLC.

9Wmy1Em.png

Sounds like if it's classic characters coming that'll be free and that's extra time dedicated to the game but with a Season Pass and paid DLC there's an extra year added to the game's cycle regardless. I heavily approve of this.

Although, if the two "not classic" characters included in the season pass are "new" the way that Josie and Master Raven are (ie, a few moves shy of classic character palette swaps), then maybe it is as bad as it would seem. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Velikost

Having Eliza as a preorder bonus isn't really that bad, since it's a code packed in with "Day One" editions of the game, which usually last well after launch, but if you were planning to get it on PC or digital, you'll probably have to pay for her if you don't get her along with a preorder, which blows.

Well she WOULD BE over 40 if they hadn't decided for that "don't age for 20 years" plot in T3.

Same as Ripley would be in her 80s in Aliens. Sigourney Weaver definitely didn't play a geriatric in that film, though.

The Nina/Steve story seemed really interesting in T4. I wonder why they never continued it.

Too cheap to hire a professional writer again? Maybe. Probably not. Most likely Harada got so burned by the negative reception towards TK4 he can't or won't see the superior art and story direction past the game's many failings.

Strange, barely remember this one. Figured her Track suit costume was far more used and iconic from T4.

Tekken 4 had some fun costumes for prettymuch everyone. It's a shame they reverted from that to just keeping the sameold costumes for most characters from there to eternity :(

Renekton

Maybe I should get PS4 version instead of PC.

Bamco's PC specs listed only Nvidia cards, which could mean trouble for my PC.

Creaking

Tekken 4 had some fun costumes for prettymuch everyone. It's a shame they reverted from that to just keeping the sameold costumes for most characters from there to eternity :(

It was the Tekken 5 costumes we got stuck with, actually. But they seem to finally have come around in Tekken 7 FR (at least for the most part; sorry Law and Jack. And King-- although it is a bad-ass cape, really just got a cape stuck onto his Tekken 5 costume). Mixed results, but we can't always be Fundoshi Heihachi.

Playsage

It was the Tekken 5 costumes we got stuck with, actually. But they seem to finally have come around in Tekken 7 FR (at least for the most part; sorry Law and Jack. And King-- although it is a bad-ass cape, really just got a cape stuck onto his Tekken 5 costume). Mixed results, but we can't always be Fundoshi Heihachi.
King got vindicated with that crazy NJPW outfit. That thing is the right kind of over-the-top.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That actually looks closer to a normal Chinese girl lol (minus the glassy eyes).

Does she canonically still have a crush on Jin?

She's in love with the guy by this point. They are probably gonna get married at the end of T7. Harada has been implying it for a while now actually

_Rob_

She's in love with the guy by this point. They are probably gonna get married at the end of T7. Harada has been implying it for a while now actually

Well if they ever go the MK route of ageing everyone up and having their kids as playable characters, Jin and Xiaoyu's offspring will have some very interesting moves!

I keep hoping for Kazuya's purple tux to make a comeback, but it's not to be :-( (except in Tag).

Happy that Jin's hoody is getting some love at least :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well if they ever go the MK route of ageing everyone up and having their kids as playable characters, Jin and Xiaoyu's offspring will have some very interesting moves!

In a survey they did a while ago about 'the future of the tekken franchise', they polled a few different options, one of them being a timeskip with new characters and asked questions about whether the ratio of characters they should keep, whether it should be a lot of old a few new, a lot of new a few old, a split, a specific ratio ect

Pachimari

If they do a timeskip for the next game, then they better not replace the new fighters we got in Tekken 7. Nobody's gonna take my Josie away from me.

SUPARSTARX

Forget the story. After Tekken 7 and whatever new expansion names they come up with post-console launch year, get working on that Tekken Tag Tournament 3 to run native 4k 60FPS on the PS4 Pro / PC. :)

Pachimari

I would prefer we get a lot of new characters in Tekken 8, before we get them all back together for Tekken Tag Tournament 3.

Creaking

Forget the story. After Tekken 7 and whatever new expansion names they come up with post-console launch year, get working on that Tekken Tag Tournament 3 to run native 4k 60FPS on the PS4 Pro / PC. :)

If we want to go by history, we've got two more mainline Tekken games after 7 before we're due for a Tag Tournament 3. (T1 T2 T3 --> Tag Tournament... T4 T5 T6 --> Tag Tournament 2... T7 --> Tag Tournament 3? ERR ERR ERR BONK BONK DOINK)

Even then, I don't think Tag 3 is going to happen the same way Tag 2 did. Between the further increased roster size and the increasing game development costs, it'll get pulled apart.

Mokujin

Harada explains why there's paid DLC.

9Wmy1Em.png

Sounds like if it's classic characters coming that'll be free and that's extra time dedicated to the game but with a Season Pass and paid DLC there's an extra year added to the game's cycle regardless. I heavily approve of this.

I totally don't mind paying a season pass for extended support, it has always bothered me that Tekken releases were left as is for their whole lifespan while Street Fighter kept getting upgrades, and while SF4 model was not ideal, their SFV approach seems really well thought.

I really hope that no character is kept behind a paid wall though, I don't mind other contents being only accesible via paid dlc, but characters should be accesible for everyone, time releases and in game money purchases could be used to balance against paid dlc options.

Mokujin

You guys think this game will do well after the SFV debacle?

A lot is going to be said about Season Pass and dlcs, but you can be sure that T7 is going to be finished, polished and packed with content from the start which were the main faults of SFV.

Playsage

You guys think this game will do well after the SFV debacle?
Not necessarily. The shit thrown at that game also came from consistent number of people that was never interested in the game in the first place.

I think T7 will do relative well (probably 2nd best selling japanese fighting game of the gen, imo) but it will barely Namco's sales expectations (not necessarily Harada's)

This is fucking crazy! Look at how much the game is being split up, Season Passes, Exclusive Pre-Order Character, Exclusive Content on one platform, etc. Tekken was always the one fighting game that at least was released complete and had all the content in game to either earn, unlock, etc from actually PLAYING the game.
perhaps I'm biased because i've always played tekken on playstation (but then again, so did everyone pre-tekken 6) but i'm looking forward to the exclusive content that's on Ps4. it's been known ever since the game was announced for Ps4 that there'd be exclusive content, we just didn't know what it'd be but it's fitting since - it's been said several times in this thread - that the vast majority of sales will be on Ps4 anyway, and the franchise itself is still very closely associated with the playstation brand

i agree with you on everything else though.

Top Bottom