• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

ZeroX03

Banned
perhaps I'm biased because i've always played tekken on playstation (but then again, so did everyone pre-tekken 6) but i'm looking forward to the exclusive content that's on Ps4. it's been known ever since the game was announced for Ps4 that there'd be exclusive content, we just didn't know what it'd be but it's fitting since - it's been said several times in this thread - that the vast majority of sales will be on Ps4 anyway, and the franchise itself is still very closely associated with the playstation brand

i agree with you on everything else though.

Arcades, dummy.

ZeroX03

Banned
hey dummy...what were those arcade machines made out of? :p

Not actual PlayStations. They were arcade boards based on the hardware.

I will concede that Tekken 6 did actually boot PS3 software briefly on launch, but it's not something the player would ever have a reason to see and there's no UI or anything.

I will concede that Tekken 6 did actually boot PS3 software briefly on launch, but it's not something the player would ever have a reason to see and there's no UI or anything.
even if they weren't actual playstations, the fact that it was playstation hardware adds to its identity with the brand. and regardless of arcades, pre-tekken 6 if you ever wanted to play the full retail major installment of the game in the comfort of your home, you needed a playstation. and even as an exclusive franchise before going multiplatform, it still ended up being one of the best selling game franchises and the best selling fighting game franchise which is definitely an impressive feat.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What people need to understand is that the season pass content is not started yet. What is on the disc at launch IS the content complete version of the game which has always been an expanded version of the Arcade release

Playsage

They were? Aren't all the boards significantly better performing than the original home ports? (Tekken 7 excluded at the moment)

ZeroX03

Banned
even if they weren't actual playstations, the fact that it was playstation hardware adds to its identity with the brand. and regardless of arcades, pre-tekken 6 if you ever wanted to play the full retail major installment of the game in the comfort of your home, you needed a playstation. and even as an exclusive franchise before going multiplatform, it still ended up being one of the best selling game franchises and the best selling fighting game franchise which is definitely an impressive feat.

No it doesn't add identity with the brand at fucking all. Nobody except a few hardware nerds know they share hardware. Thousands of people aren't playing at the arcade going "oh I'm here playing on PlayStation hardware, wow I love the PlayStation brand and will forever link the PlayStation brand with the Tekken brand in my head!". Nobody who plays in the arcade gives a fuck about Tekken 7 being based on PC hardware and UE4. You're the only person who kept bringing it up after it was revealed and cared. What do sales have to do with it? Nothing.

Quit with the fanboy shtick. Exclusive content isn't good, it doesn't make the game better, and you shouldn't want to deprive others of content.

No it doesn't add identity with the brand at fucking all. Nobody except a few hardware nerds know they share hardware. Thousands of people aren't playing at the arcade going "oh I'm here playing on PlayStation hardware, wow I love the PlayStation brand and will forever link the PlayStation brand with the Tekken brand in my head!". Nobody who plays in the arcade gives a fuck about Tekken 7 being based on PC hardware and UE4. You're the only person who kept bringing it up after it was revealed and cared. What do sales have to do with it? Nothing.

Quit with the fanboy shtick. Exclusive content isn't good, it doesn't make the game better, and you shouldn't want to deprive others of content.
Exclusive content aside, you are understating the fact that most Tekken fans back in the day knew about the arcade versions being basically PlayStation hardware. It was all over the magazine articles when a new Tekken was announced.

How old are you? You're acting silly.

Edit: and it WAS synonymous with PlayStation.

alright i'm not gonna respond to this. as far as i'm concerned, calling me a fanboy groups into the same category as people like crapgamer and if that's the way you're going to talk to me then it's not worth having this discussion

ZeroX03

Banned
Exclusive content aside, you are understating the fact that most Tekken fans back in the day knew about the arcade versions being basically PlayStation hardware. It was all over the magazine articles when a new Tekken was announced.

How old are you? You're acting silly.

Been playing arcade since T3. Nobody cared back then.

Are you seriously trying to say because the arcade hardware was based off PS hardware that arcade players grew deep connections between the PlayStation brand and Tekken brand? No.

I agree that Tekken and PlayStation are pretty synonymous for console players. But I don't think arcade has anything to do with it. And obviously I don't think it justifies exclusive content (I also don't think the exclusive content is that big of a deal).

alright i'm not gonna respond to this. as far as i'm concerned, calling me a fanboy groups into the same category as people like crapgamer and if that's the way you're going to talk to me then it's not worth having this discussion

You are a fanboy. You think PlayStation exclusive content is a good thing. That's exactly what a fanboy would say. Your justification is "I have deep connections between the PlayStation brand and Tekken". You even said you're biased!

joeblow

They were? Aren't all the boards significantly better performing than the original home ports? (Tekken 7 excluded at the moment)

Arcade units back in the day had beefed up Playstation hardware, so almost all the home ports were a few notches below in quality.

Tekken Tag Tournament was the exception (which looked fantastic on the PS2) because the arcade version was still based on PSOne tech.

You are a fanboy. You think PlayStation exclusive content is a good thing. That's exactly what a fanboy would say. Your justification is "I have deep connections between the PlayStation brand and Tekken".
and you're grouping me with crapgamer, so I have nothing more to say to you

Been playing arcade since T3. Nobody cared back then.

Are you seriously trying to say because the arcade hardware was based off PS hardware that arcade players grew deep connections between the PlayStation brand and Tekken brand? No.
That's not even what the person you're arguing with is saying. Tekken was a PlayStation brand to a lot of people and even though it was in arcades first, everyone knew where it was going come home release. Simple as that.

ZeroX03

Banned
and you're grouping me with crapgamer, so I have nothing more to say to you

I don't even know who you're talking about.

That's not even what the person you're arguing with is saying. Tekken was a PlayStation brand to a lot of people and even though it was in arcades first, everyone knew where it was going come home release. Simple as that.

Tekken was a PlayStation brand to console players. Arcade players, less so.

And yes, he was saying because there the arcade hardware was based of PS hardware it led to more PS/Tekken brand connection. He's talked about this before.

perhaps I'm biased because i've always played tekken on playstation (but then again, so did everyone pre-tekken 6) but i'm looking forward to the exclusive content that's on Ps4. it's been known ever since the game was announced for Ps4 that there'd be exclusive content, we just didn't know what it'd be but it's fitting since - it's been said several times in this thread - that the vast majority of sales will be on Ps4 anyway, and the franchise itself is still very closely associated with the playstation brand

i agree with you on everything else though.
"Perhaps I'm biased" was ignored by Zero

I don't even know who you're talking about.
doesn't matter. if there can't a mutual respect, this conversation is over
indeed it was, and I already admitted several pages back that my perspective on things is different; if Mass Effect 4 had exclusive content on xbone, hell if the game itself was exclusive to xbone, I would not take issue with it. This is coming from someone who loved Me2, and who's never owned an xbox.

ZeroX03

Banned

You even said you're biased!

No, it wasn't.

doesn't matter. if there can't a mutual respect, this conversation is over

Cool. You're definitely a fanboy. Exclusive content is not good.

If you have a problem with the term fanboy, let me say: "you're biased toward a platform/brand and that leads you to take irrational, emotionally driven stances."
(Which is a fanboy)

No, it wasn't.

Cool. You're definitely a fanboy. Exclusive content is not good.

If you have a problem with the term fanboy, let me say: "you're biased toward a platform/brand and that leads you to take irrational, emotionally driven stances."
(Which is a fanboy)

IuvTXwN.gif

ZeroX03

Banned

You know what, you're right. I know your posting history, I know the general level of quality of your posts, I'm aware of how much knowledge you have, I know your preferences and biases and I shouldn't have misled you into believing there was any respect there. I won't talk to you again.

So exactly how many characters will be in the game at launch, not counting Eliza?

Currently 34, counting Kuma/Panda and Lee/Violet together, and not counting Eliza.

However, all the marketing stuff says 'more than thirty characters' instead of nailing a number and the Tekken twitter has hinted there will be more character reveals before release.

Currently 34, counting Kuma/Panda and Lee/Violet together, and not counting Eliza.

However, all the marketing stuff says 'more than thirty characters' instead of nailing a number and the Tekken twitter has hinted there will be more character reveals before release.
I thought Kuma and Panda were separate characters this time around, or are they still just a palette swap?

Also it'd be fantastic if there are even more characters showing up for the console release.

I thought Kuma and Panda were separate characters this time around, or are they still just a palette swap?

They have at least different rage arts, and they -are- listed separately by Namco. So 35 if you buy into that.

I'm just kinda not convinced until i see some evidence of actually different movelists, aha. =D

(Also one bear + palette swap is kinda enough for me. Too much perhaps. Don't like bears. Two whole characters, really?)

Nuszka

So 35 in total , maybe 2 more announced and 2 dlc , 39 - I'm fine with it, hope thats it for now. If they release another view like a year from release like sf5 is doing id be down for it.

You know what, you're right. I know your posting history, I know the general level of quality of your posts, I'm aware of how much knowledge you have, I know your preferences and biases and I shouldn't have misled you into believing there was any respect there. I won't talk to you again.
you've got quite the ego then, don't you

They have at least different rage arts, and they -are- listed separately by Namco. So 35 if you buy into that.

I'm just kinda not convinced until i see some evidence of actually different movelists, aha. =D

(Also one bear + palette swap is enough for me. Too much perhaps. Don't like bears.)
Fair enough lol, not a fan of bears either but there seems to be a fanbase for them.

Really excited cause this is my first Tekken since Tekken 3 and I plan on putting a lot of time into it. The furthest I ever got in Tekken 3 in terms of skill was being able to do one of King's tougher combos (which I still remember to this day.)

ZeroX03

Banned
For such an arcade snob, he sure is concerned about the X one version of this game.

There's been other people in the thread concerned about content on PC (which gets nothing exclusive). I also said I don't think the exclusive content is that big of a deal, just that it shouldn't be labeled a good thing.

Interesting that you tried to say I was ignoring things, when it seems you're doing a better job at reading into posts rather than actually just reading them.

There's been other people in the thread concerned about content on PC (which gets nothing exclusive). I also said I don't think the exclusive content is that big of a deal, just that it shouldn't be labeled a good thing.

Interesting that you tried to say I was ignoring things, when it seems you're doing a better job at reading into posts rather than actually just reading them.
They'll be released across all platforms eventually.

ZeroX03

Banned
They'll be released across all platforms eventually.

I agree that's likely the case (PS VR content I'm iffy about, but if XB1 doesn't get VR support that's fine, PC should get it). But that's besides the point. Exclusive content is not good. I don't think it's a big deal, but I'm also not going to say it's a good thing because PS and Tekken and brand loyalty or whatever.

Why don't you guys just do what Namco did to Lei and hit that ignore button?

Oh believe me I did

The PC version does also get a reduced price at 50$ for the game instead of 60$.

That is something to keep in mind I think.

Yep actually brought that up when people weren't happy about the PC version lacking content.

XB1 giving away T6 is fine, because realistically they couldn't do that on other platforms. It's also old content related to a game that was released on PS3 as well, not new content for the new game.

Not necessarily. The shit thrown at that game also came from consistent number of people that was never interested in the game in the first place.

Or by people who were so interested in it that they bought it and and then found out it was an unfinished product that was rushed to market with missing features and garbage online that wouldn't be fixed for months.

BadWolf

Not necessarily. The shit thrown at that game also came from consistent number of people that was never interested in the game in the first place.

The hate it received for the state it launched in was very much deserved.

It also seems to be acting as a lesson for other devs on how not to launch their games, which is a nice plus.

Playsage

The hate it received for the state it launched in was very much deserved.

It also seems to be acting as a lesson for other devs on how not to launch their games, which is a nice plus.
I am not discrediting the actual criticism to the game here. It's just that I think that Namco is not going to sell the game to a significant part of the SFV detractors by addressing one of the most criticized aspect of that game.

I already tried to defend the defendable at the launch of the game. I'm through with that.

it wasn't but it's the most likely scenario. batman arkham night's dlc was timed exclusive and so was destiny's.
Good to know!

Why don't we all just play the game please? I'm sorry if you don't agree on PlayStation exclusives or which person played which game first. But it's happening. It also doesn't really matter if you played the first Tekken game on arcade in Japan eons ago when we were all young and innocent, we've progressed to where we are now. Just agree to disagree and move on. It's taking the majority of the page.

Anyways, I'm sure the season pass DLC hasn't begun yet but I'm still sad that the NA CE won't get it included. Was there ever a reason explained for this?

Do people spouting nonsense about the game being 2+ years old not realize the version releasing to consoles will be less than a year old once it hits consoles?

We're getting Fated Retribution; not vanilla Tekken 7. The same way the console release of tekken 6 was bloodline rebellion.

*shrugs*
Either way, in for a deluxe version on pc. Can't wait.
Is that supposed to make anyone feel better? Tekken 7, in some form, has been out elsewhere for two years. The bar for entry in fighting games is high enough already without giving other people a two year head-start. Not to mention the game feels dated at this point... I guess I can wait even longer for a decent Steam sale.

Why don't we all just play the game please? I'm sorry if you don't agree on PlayStation exclusives or which person played which game first. But it's happening. It also doesn't really matter if you played the first Tekken game on arcade in Japan eons ago when we were all young and innocent, we've progressed to where we are now. Just agree to disagree and move on. It's taking the majority of the page.

Anyways, I'm sure the season pass DLC hasn't begun yet but I'm still sad that the NA CE won't get it included. Was there ever a reason explained for this?
i'm willing to put disagreements aside to continue the general discussion in this thread, but i didn't initiate the conflict. as for the season pass dlc, I asked about it earlier in this thread and MoonsaultSlayer suggested:

Market research probably showed NA users are more likely to buy season passes in addition to the CE...

Regular for me. I want that cover art.

But I probably would have gone CE if it included the season pass. Better value. I hope others realize this and cancel theirs with hopes Namco comes to their senses.

When was this stated?
Unless Sony paid Namco and came up with this idea (I doubt it), this initiative was probably one of a few options they gave Sony to choose from as an exclusive for a period of time that acts as a sort of advertisement of what else may be in store.

I didn't take Art as saying this exclusivity was good. More like saying he doesn't care and it makes sense in the same way a MS deal with Mass Effect to release legacy skins because of a past partnership. No biggie.

Unless Sony paid Namco and came up with this idea (I doubt it), this initiative was probably one of a few options they gave Sony to choose from as an exclusive for a period of time that acts as a sort of advertisement of what else may be in store.

I didn't take Art as saying this exclusivity was good. More like saying he doesn't care and it makes sense in the same way a MS deal with Mass Effect to release legacy skins because of a past partnership. No biggie.
lemme put it this way: if I had an xbone instead of a Ps4, I wouldn't complain about tekken 7 getting exclusive content on Ps4 because it makes sense, all things considered. Likewise how I said earlier if the same thing happened with Me4, I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with it, I would think it is justified. It depends on the franchise and it depends on the reasons. That's my perspective on exclusivity

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I am not discrediting the actual criticism to the game here. It's just that I think that Namco is not going to sell the game to a significant part of the SFV detractors by addressing one of the most criticized aspect of that game.

I already tried to defend the defendable at the launch of the game. I'm through with that.

Don't forget that Namco led the trend on minimal content backlash with Soulcalibur V. That game plays great but it got torn apart in reviews due to the minimal single player content.

Top Bottom