• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 Demo - LIVE now PS5, Steam, XBS

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It looks amazing on my OLED monitor on PC. HDR off, because the game looked weird with HDR, not even sure if its supported officially
I too have a new fangled 48" oled LG monitor and it looks drab and colorless. no hdr option. its just so weird missing common options.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Also why does Paul now look like Daryl Hall?

AGM-001377-Daryl-Hall-400x500.jpg
xjy85vdz0kqa1.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Even those screenshots look drab and colorless. :messenger_crying:

The forest level is better, this is just a quick and dirty jpeg upload cause I just downloaded the demo on Xbox.

Will post pictures from the other locations later in the day too.

Calverz

I too have a new fangled 48" oled LG monitor and it looks drab and colorless. no hdr option. its just so weird missing common options.
That’s really disappointing to hear. I plan to try the steam demo tomorrow on my 42c2.

NT80

took a quick look...

is it me or does the game look bad on PC? there is no HDR option?
I'm not sure if one of the scaling options is actually no scaling?
it just looks so dull and colorless and even if I run no vsync its always 60 fps during gameplay?
There was a HDR setting in the beta a few months back and the settings in there could make a big difference to the look. It's not here in the demo for some reason but I would expect it in the final release.

Havent really played since T5. Played nina a bit durring lunch break. Feels like Tekken

But Holy shit those supers or rage arts or whatver REALLY disconnect your from the flow. Got hit with one and litterally picked my hands up from the stick and leaned back, pausing for an extended period of time like Wtf.....it wasnt the damage or properties or anything, but the shear abruptness and disengagement from the match.

#getoffmylawn_boomeralert

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Not sure I like the new stuff they are doing with tekken. Demo too limited. Doesn't have any of my go to characters so I'm not writing it off yet, but demo put sour taste in mouth.

Pressing L1, for the easy combos and whatnot is like anti tekken for me. See when full game is released tho. Still day one buy for me. Loved tekken since I was a kid. Was hooked to tekken 3
I haven't really played any Tekken since 3, and even then I was really still just a Tekken 2 player that never made the switch, so I was quite surprised that I got all the way to the penultimate difficulty mode without losing a match just using the Kazuya moves that were still available from 2 and apply the same range game and grappling mixups I always used in 2.

Like you I didn't like the new systems kicking in at all, or where they've made attacking from distance with running far less effective. And again, like you, without my preferred character to play - Lei Wulong probably edged out about six others from the TK2 roster as my main - meant that despite the familiarity of Kaz and Phoenix, although I hate the new phoenix character's personality, I couldn't tell if I loved the ultra responsive feel of the game with a TK2 basis enough to override all my other dislikes of them making system changes for change's sake.

I really just wanted this as a Tekken 2 remake to get back in, but it feels too much dumb dude bro hollow like Dead or Alive on original Xbox for my tastes with the system changes.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Awful business. Worse than Tekken 7 at railroading combos and breaking flow. And the input lag is unbearable. Does not even have a single decent antialiasing option and no brightness slider. I expected something like this, but I am still disappointed. The hell were they even thinking with the avatar garbage. Survival and Team Battle would have been far better additions than those obnoxious chibi fuckers.

At least I will always have Tekken 2 through Tekken Tag Tournament 2 to enjoy.
Which platform and how hot was the room in which hemisphere?

PaintTinJr

Awful business. Worse than Tekken 7 at railroading combos and breaking flow. And the input lag is unbearable. Does not even have a single decent antialiasing option and no brightness slider. I expected something like this, but I am still disappointed. The hell were they even thinking with the avatar garbage. Survival and Team Battle would have been far better additions than those obnoxious chibi fuckers.

At least I will always have Tekken 2 through Tekken Tag Tournament 2 to enjoy.
Tekken 2 is on PS5 to freely download if you bought it back on PS3, PSP, Vita, now, or you're subscribed to a PS+ sub with the free PS1 games. The ability to redownload it on PS5 from the old purchase was only added in the last few months IIRC, which was a brilliant turnaround for PS1 games, from the previous lost catalogue to old systems stance.

Which platform and how hot was the room in which hemisphere?
It was on Steam in the Northern hemisphere with a room temperature of ~20*C. I am not new to optimizing games, but the poorly implemented upscaling crutch is the worst I have seen in a long time even in indie games. Maybe there is a nonconfigurable depth of field effect screwing it up, but it is busted. Turning down settings also did not help input lag. It was jarring having just played Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the Series S.

Tekken 2 is on PS5 to freely download if you bought it back on PS3, PSP, Vita, now, or you're subscribed to a PS+ sub with the free PS1 games. The ability to redownload it on PS5 from the old purchase was only added in the last few months IIRC, which was a brilliant turnaround for PS1 games, from the previous lost catalogue to old systems stance.
I just play my PS1 disc on my PS2 or if I am feeling a bit lazy the Arcade version in Tekken 5.

Erebus

For those playing on PC, is there something I overlooked, or is it just not possible to disable upscaling entirely? It defaults to FSR 1.0 and there is no "off" setting.

sinnergy

Doesn't look amazing next-gen in my opinion. MK1 looks better. Don't know how SF6 looks. Hairs look dated with the card based technology.

Last edited:
lol but why?

Also, what the hell is the Catmull-Rom Bicubic option? I guess DLSS is the way to go if you're on nVidia GPU?
It is an algorithm often used for upscaling and smoothing out textures. I suppose DLSS is the only option worth a damn due to lack of other options. Would have prefered FAA+TAA or XeSS. I think there might be something wrong with the visual input data as the resulting visuals have artifacts and fail to smooth out geometry.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
For those playing on PC, is there something I overlooked, or is it just not possible to disable upscaling entirely? It defaults to FSR 1.0 and there is no "off" setting.
Nope no off setting, and hair looks like shit even at 4k.

splattered

So what's the consensus for those that regularly play Tekken? I'm still wondering if i should bother to preorder or wait for a sale like i am with MK.

So what's the consensus for those that regularly play Tekken? I'm still wondering if i should bother to preorder or wait for a sale like i am with MK.
If you liked Tekken 7 this is a better version of it. If you did not like it then skip.

P.S. I was a bit overdramatic with input lag being unbearable. It is probably only a frame or two more than Tekken Tag Tournament 2. If you do not play them back to back it is not noticeable. Also FSR2 Quality on PC for reference:

c6u4CaD.jpg

Last edited:

Edmund

It's really good. I loved tekken 7 and I'll love tekken 8 even more. I can tell lots of love and heart were put into tekken 8 just by playing the demo. I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of ghost battles, the story mode, and the improved netcode is gonna make online play a blast.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Played the demo no PS5, doesn't look all that hot to me, expected more from a "next gen" only title with two characters on display.

NT80

If you liked Tekken 7 this is a better version of it. If you did not like it then skip.

P.S. I was a bit overdramatic with input lag being unbearable. It is probably only a frame or two more than Tekken Tag Tournament 2. If you do not play them back to back it is not noticeable. Also FSR2 Quality on PC for reference:

c6u4CaD.jpg
What input lag? I haven't noticed it at least with V sync off and don't see any of the top competitive players mentioning it as an issue for either format. The last time I played Tag 2 on PS3 that had noticeable input lag compared to Tekken 7 PC.

What input lag? I haven't noticed it at least with V sync off and don't see any of the top competitive players mentioning it as an issue for either format. The last time I played Tag 2 on PS3 that had noticeable input lag compared to Tekken 7 PC.
I had V-sync off, but we are comparing apples to oranges here with you bringing Tekken 7 into the discussion. Also, PS3 version of TTT2 runs pretty poorly relative to the Series S version and I do not have the means to make input delay measurements. I can only summize that Tekken Tag 2 on the Series S is more responsive than Tekken 8 on PC.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I had V-sync off, but we are comparing apples to oranges here with you bringing Tekken 7 into the discussion. Also, PS3 version of TTT2 runs pretty poorly relative to the Series S version and I do not have the means to make input delay measurements. I can only summize that Tekken Tag 2 on the Series S is more responsive than Tekken 8 on PC.
Playing a fighting game with vsync off is a huge mistake IMO, as the simulation can desync and create combos that aren't valid or repeatable, much like playing fighting games online.

V-sync off was the problem with the Xbox 360 Virtua Fighter 5 version C on 360 - compared to PS3 version B - because when the screen tore it de-syncs the physics allowing for slower simulation and combo juggles that aren't possible in properly v-synced versions like the PS3 and arcade versions.

The Final Showdown arcade update was rendered closer than VF5 allowing more planar polygons on 360 port to replace higher polygon meshes to offset the 360 having closer to half the polygon throughput of the arcade board and PS3 hardware which are very similar - other than the Cell SPUs - allowing all versions to be v-synched.

Last edited:
Playing a fighting game with vsync off is a huge mistake IMO, as the simulation can desync and create combos that aren't valid or repeatable, much like playing fighting games online.

V-sync off was the problem with the Xbox 360 Virtua Fighter 5 version C on 360 - compared to PS3 version B - because when the screen tore it de-syncs the physics allowing for slower simulation and combo juggles that aren't possible in properly v-synced versions like the PS3 and arcade versions.

The Final Showdown arcade update was rendered closer than VF5 allowing more planar polygons on 360 port to replace higher polygon meshes to offset the 360 having closer to half the polygon throughput of the arcade board and PS3 hardware which are very similar - other than the Cell SPUs - allowing all versions to be v-synched.
On PCs the implementation of V-sync can add input lag and framerate inconsistencies. It is generally recommended that graphics card does the V-syncing if it is done at all.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just can't wait until January 28. I just want the full package now! This and Street Fighter 6 will do more for me, than what MK1 (once my favorite fighting series) ever could. I hope Arcade Quest is beefy as hell.

Calverz

I just can't wait until January 28. I just want the full package now! This and Street Fighter 6 will do more for me, than what MK1 (once my favorite fighting series) ever could. I hope Arcade Quest is beefy as hell.
Really? Can you explain why? I liked all 3 and used to adore street fighter but the demo completely put me off and I have been waiting for mk1 to drop in price as I enjoy playing through the single player campaign.

yansolo

played maybe half an hour, thought it was great, plays a little bit different to tekken 7, felt more fluid to me, graphics are great. Would definitely be a day 1 buy if it wasnt so expensive. Never really played online on PC, how long do the games last before online play starts dwindling?

runs good for me, I think the benchmark gave me "900 points" whatever that means; every thing ultra, catmull upscaling (felt the most smooth), no VRS (caused hair/shadow artifacts), UHD 80%.

Might actually jump in at launch

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Really? Can you explain why? I liked all 3 and used to adore street fighter but the demo completely put me off and I have been waiting for mk1 to drop in price as I enjoy playing through the single player campaign.
MK1 is ass. The story is garbage, the characters are more poorly animated than MK9, it's really stiff, the core gameplay is a major step back from MK11, the Kameo system is a big drag and the single player content is a massive grind. It's IMO far more disappointing as a game than Starfield and should have copped more heat for being a complete step back for Mortal Kombat. It just is not good.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
MK1 is ass. The story is garbage, the characters are more poorly animated than MK9, it's really stiff, the core gameplay is a major step back from MK11, the Kameo system is a big drag and the single player content is a massive grind. It's IMO far more disappointing as a game than Starfield and should have copped more heat for being a complete step back for Mortal Kombat. It just is not good.
what!? MK1 is waaayyyyyy better than other fighters released recently.. yes including SF6.

PaintTinJr

On PCs the implementation of V-sync can add input lag and framerate inconsistencies. It is generally recommended that graphics card does the V-syncing if it is done at all.
Anecdotally that might be the case, but I'd bet that's because the GPU drivers by default - particularly on Nvidia - is pre-rendering more frames to artificially show greater performance. which introduces the lag, because the card can't actually achieve that performance efficiency when doing standard double buffering with v-sync on - which is exactly what a software soft vsync does - in a fighting game, In a simple triple buffer - where only one frame is being pre-rendered - the player would need to be running a monitor at a locked 120Hz refresh and maintain a locked 120fps just to match the latency of playing at locked 60fps with software/hardware vsync on.

Anecdotally that might be the case, but I'd bet that's because the GPU drivers by default - particularly on Nvidia - is pre-rendering more frames to artificially show greater performance. which introduces the lag, because the card can't actually achieve that performance efficiency when doing standard double buffering with v-sync on - which is exactly what a software soft vsync does - in a fighting game, In a simple triple buffer - where only one frame is being pre-rendered - the player would need to be running a monitor at a locked 120Hz refresh and maintain a locked 120fps just to match the latency of playing at locked 60fps with software/hardware vsync on.
My PC outputs to an HDTV only capable of rendering 60fps (same as Series S). Beyond that, the reason for GPU handling it is because software v-sync introduces extra waiting periods for everything to sync. However, many things can work well asynchronously on PC.

Edmund

played maybe half an hour, thought it was great, plays a little bit different to tekken 7, felt more fluid to me, graphics are great. Would definitely be a day 1 buy if it wasnt so expensive. Never really played online on PC, how long do the games last before online play starts dwindling?

Online play will not dwindle thanks to the battle hub. There will people to play with 24/7.

Ultra artifacts. Try TAAU.
I did, but it looks even worse. I can see the polygons with it. At least FSR2 Quality masks them.

P.S. Really digging the Tekken 8 version of Nina. Kazuya is unfortunately borderline unplayable for me with all the changes. I hope Heihachi comes back.

Top Bottom