• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 Demo - LIVE now PS5, Steam, XBS

NT80

played maybe half an hour, thought it was great, plays a little bit different to tekken 7, felt more fluid to me, graphics are great. Would definitely be a day 1 buy if it wasnt so expensive. Never really played online on PC, how long do the games last before online play starts dwindling?
While there will be a drop off Tekken 7 still seems pretty active on PC and PS4 6 years after it came out. Updates and DLC seem to keep people coming back over time too.

So will this have full cross play on pc PS5 and series x ?
All fighting games should have full cross play by now where an Xbox guy can invite a pc or PS5 player and play with them , not just matchmaking

PaintTinJr

My PC outputs to an HDTV only capable of rendering 60fps (same as Series S). Beyond that, the reason for GPU handling it is because software v-sync introduces extra waiting periods for everything to sync. However, many things can work well asynchronously on PC.
I can see why you might think that, but a soft v-sync is actually designed to improve frame pacing, which if inconsistent can feel like lag, so a good software v-sync combined with powerful hardware to render above the frame-rat and, pre-rendered frames set to off in the graphics driver - so that double buffering is actual active in the game software and the GPU hardware - is the optimal solution for a fighting game. A PC allowing tearing and frame pre-rendering will have frame-pacing issues and lag spikes by comparison to a console using a software v-sync pacing the frames

killatopak

Nice very nice , I can 1v1 anyone on pc and PS5 from Xbox or is it like cross play with matchmaking only
Not sure since the game isn’t out yet and the demo features only just small selection of online modes but on the ones that do, you can play with other platforms.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
$100 for a fighting game still feels unreal even after owning many different entries over the years. I typically get the year one pass, but it’s getting harder and harder to justify that much day 1. I did it for GGS, MK1 and SF6. I feel like I’m just waiting for these unlocks and hopefully I still want to play the game by the time the character rolls out.

I’ve played the demo quite a bit. Juggling between each character. Paul is a lot of fun. His Phoenix smash after heat and all his juggles are making me want to get this. Jin is really good. Probably the best Jin in years.

ReBurn

Gold Member
$100 for a fighting game still feels unreal even after owning many different entries over the years. I typically get the year one pass, but it’s getting harder and harder to justify that much day 1. I did it for GGS, MK1 and SF6. I feel like I’m just waiting for these unlocks and hopefully I still want to play the game by the time the character rolls out.

I’ve played the demo quite a bit. Juggling between each character. Paul is a lot of fun. His Phoenix smash after heat and all his juggles are making me want to get this. Jin is really good. Probably the best Jin in years.
I don't like Jin in Tekken 7, but I am liking him in this demo.

Luipadre

After i played the demo on both PC and PS5, i think im going with the PC version. It felt much more responsive on a 240hz OLED monitor. They should make a 120hz container mode on console like SF6 did. It matters a lot

PC version looks really good and runs flawlessly. There is also crossplay now so doesnt matter if the bigger playerbase is on PS

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I thought the Jin and Kazuya battle was just silly. Wasn’t this supposed to be a fighting tournament way back the PS1 days?

It’s Devil Wing guy versus Angel Wing guy, with lightning around all their moves. I press a button and send my opponent down into the asphalt as chunks of it explode into the air. We zap each other with our laser beams. I grab him by the head in a big cinematic moment and run his face all the way up the side of a building.

Not a scratch on either of them. Their hair doesn’t even get messed up.
It’s like Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry.

Wasn’t this a regular fighting game at one point? How does a little Native American girl or Bruce Lee knockoff compete with Devil Kazuya?

Eh, I’ll try single player vs cpu. Nina looks better than ever, and I’ll take that fat boy. Wait…that’s Paul?? Paul aged, but Nina didn’t lol. Dig the water droplets on Nina’s skin. That was the best part of the game. Wait, no camera mode? Aw c’mon. Fighting was better than the Jin vs Kazuya superhero brawl.

Not really my thing anymore, so it’ll be a wait for Ultimate Edition is cheap type of thing.

Last edited:
Wasn’t this a regular fighting game at one point?
lolno
C7Hj6nyX4AABLFC.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

PaintTinJr

After i played the demo on both PC and PS5, i think im going with the PC version. It felt much more responsive on a 240hz OLED monitor. They should make a 120hz container mode on console like SF6 did. It matters a lot

PC version looks really good and runs flawlessly. There is also crossplay now so doesnt matter if the bigger playerbase is on PS
That's highly unlikely IMO.

Unless your graphics card can manage 240fps locked(v-synched) and only pre-rendering 1 extra frame at native resolution- i.e triple buffering, rather than than double buffering at 240fps - which is unlikely as this is a new game even to new GPUs like a RTX 4090, so DLSS, and prerendering 2 of more frames than 1 will likely be needed for efficiency to hit that frame-rate (if it can at all), and at 2 pre-rendered frames you are still getting identical 60fps double buffered latency like the console hardware - assuming screen latency is equal on both setups.

You are probably just feeling a difference in latency between your PS5 on TV - with latency between 5 and 45ms lag - and your monitor - with latency in the 2 - 5ms range.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well yeah, there was always weird characters.

I don’t even know what I’m trying to say here. I guess the story related Jin and Kazuya battle felt too over the top cinematic for me.
Tekken's story has been over the top for a long time. The Jin and Kazuya thing has been going on since Tekken 3.

Soltype

I thought the Jin and Kazuya battle was just silly. Wasn’t this supposed to be a fighting tournament way back the PS1 days?

It’s Devil Wing guy versus Angel Wing guy, with lightning around all their moves. I press a button and send my opponent down into the asphalt as chunks of it explode into the air. We zap each other with our laser beams. I grab him by the head in a big cinematic moment and run his face all the way up the side of a building.

Not a scratch on either of them. Their hair doesn’t even get messed up.
It’s like Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry.

Wasn’t this a regular fighting game at one point? How does a little Native American girl or Bruce Lee knockoff compete with Devil Kazuya?

Eh, I’ll try single player vs cpu. Nina looks better than ever, and I’ll take that fat boy. Wait…that’s Paul?? Paul aged, but Nina didn’t lol. Dig the water droplets on Nina’s skin. That was the best part of the game. Wait, no camera mode? Aw c’mon. Fighting was better than the Jin vs Kazuya superhero brawl.

Not really my thing anymore, so it’ll be a wait for Ultimate Edition is cheap type of thing.
Tekken wasn't ever super grounded outside of 4.The games have jumped the shark though even by Tekken standards.

Neolombax

I dont really like the character designs, they look somewhat too bulky. Weird gripe I know. Game plays great though. Stages look great.

took a quick look...

is it me or does the game look bad on PC? there is no HDR option?
I'm not sure if one of the scaling options is actually no scaling?
it just looks so dull and colorless and even if I run no vsync its always 60 fps during gameplay?
The game is set to run at 60fps since move speeds are synced to it. It has to run at 60fps with every player for it to stay in sync.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Rage was first introduced after Tekken 3 with Tekken Tag Tournament back in ’99.
I thought that was T6 with rage. Are you thinking of ki charge?

Last edited:

Soltype

Rage was first introduced after Tekken 3 with Tekken Tag Tournament back in ’99.
Are you talking about netsu? It was only in tag, and it wasn't in any of the 1v1 games until 6.

I thought that was T6 with rage. Are you thinking of ki charge?

I think he's talking about netsu.In Tekken Tag while you were getting beaten up , your tag partner's life bar might start flashing to indicate that they would be stronger if tagged in right now. How quickly your partner would respond to you getting beaten up would change depending on which characters you picked. None of the mainline games had anything similar up until 6.

Last edited:

P.Jack

Are you talking about netsu? It was only in tag, and it wasn't in any of the 1v1 games until 6.

I think he's talking about netsu.In Tekken Tag while you were getting beaten up , your tag partner's life bar might start flashing to indicate that they would be stronger if tagged in right now. How quickly your partner would respond to you getting beaten up would change depending on which characters you picked. None of the mainline games had anything similar up until 6.
Yeah that’s right, it wasn’t called rage, my bad.

In any case, I don’t think neither netsu or rage is all that bad. I think it was a bit too much in T6 but it worked well in T7. Rage arts on the other hand, not a big fan. I’m still undecided when it comes to heat, I think it should’ve been a part of rage, but we’ll see, might change my mind. But I do think it might hurt first impressions among casuals cause we all know everyone wants even longer juggles in Tekken, right?

I just can't wait until January 28. I just want the full package now! This and Street Fighter 6 will do more for me, than what MK1 (once my favorite fighting series) ever could. I hope Arcade Quest is beefy as hell.

Why are people so down on MK1?? I'd really like to know after buying it as a casual fan if fighting games, and thinking that it's more or less just as good as MK11 .. in some ways it's more fun actually, looks as good if not better, and seems to play a little faster ...

Ps- I'm ultra casual and hardly ever play online, though I know the basics of fg's, I'm not a total noob

splattered

Why are people so down on MK1?? I'd really like to know after buying it as a casual fan if fighting games, and thinking that it's more or less just as good as MK11 .. in some ways it's more fun actually, looks as good if not better, and seems to play a little faster ...

Ps- I'm ultra casual and hardly ever play online, though I know the basics of fg's, I'm not a total noob

It looks good to me too, I was tempted to pick up ultimate for $65 in current sale but spent money on Tekken and guilty gear instead for now. Next time it's on sale I will probably pick it up though.

I played the Series S version of this and was blown away by the cleanliness of the image. It turns out that on PC, Post Processing set to anything but Low really messes up the image quality. Really bizarre... I am genuinely curious how they fumbled so badly in this one regard as it messes up the antialiasing options.

The game is fun to play, but with my main Kazuya butchered and turned into Devil Hybrid I am left wanting a proper Mishima representative. Hopefully Heihachi is in that first DLC set. I don't think Azazel's Bitch Hybrid is going to be on par with Tekken Tag 2 Zafina either. I sincerely hope Lee Chaolan will be familiar as it is too much to hope for Baek coming back at this point.

P.S. Pretty damn clean with (Post Processing Low and) TSR:
2swYJEZ.jpg

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I played the Series S version of this and was blown away by the cleanliness of the image. It turns out that on PC, Post Processing set to anything but Low really messes up the image quality. Really bizarre... I am genuinely curious how they fumbled so badly in this one regard as it messes up the antialiasing options.

The game is fun to play, but with my main Kazuya butchered and turned into Devil Hybrid I am left wanting a proper Mishima representative. Hopefully Heihachi is in that first DLC set. I don't think Azazel's Bitch Hybrid is going to be on par with Tekken Tag 2 Zafina either. I sincerely hope Lee Chaolan will be familiar as it is too much to hope for Baek coming back at this point.

P.S. Pretty damn clean with (Post Processing Low and) TSR:
2swYJEZ.jpg
Don't wanna try Reina? Good to see you've 1080d on the game. Gives me hope I'm not wasting my money.

Don't wanna try Reina? Good to see you've 1080d on the game. Gives me hope I'm not wasting my money.
I have never mained new characters. I am not about to start now. Playing Nina is what really sold me on the new systems in this demo. They are well implemented unlike in Tekken 7. It also helps that it is the best looking fighting game on my PC currently (after some tweaking). :cool:

Calverz

I’m ultra casual in mk too. I recently bought mk 1. The deluxe version or something. I enjoyed playing through the story but tbh once I finished I sort of lost interest. It is absolutely unacceptable to me that they expect me to buy a main character who is pivotal to the events of the single player story, Shang tsung, as dlc. That has turned me off. Not to mention since I started the tekken 8 demo I am looking forward to it more and have pre ordered.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
There's absolutely no reason to get it on console if you have a capable pc, the game has full cross play.

Bigger TV, haptics, comfy couch.

I can’t do comfy couch with my pc. Wiring and set up won’t allow it.

Hence my temptation lol.

Giving this a try since Street Fighter was too much for my dusty fighting skills.

But why is this game $93 CAD for the standard edition? Most expensive game to date? Is it $75 USD?

Played the demo up through the tournament and some ghost battles. As someone who has played countless hours of Tekken 1/2/3, this game just seems so… bland.

The fighting feels good, but everything else just pales in comparison to Street Fighter 6, or even the older Tekken games. The backgrounds are boring. The music is just noise. All the characters look the same. Contrast this with Street Fighter 6 (or even Tekken 2), where every character looks like a character.

This game reminds me of how all the women in Uncharted 4 use the same model, just with different clothes and head.

Heat attack also seems completely out of place. (why the hell is Nina pulling out a gun during the match? it makes absolutely no sense.)

Played the demo up through the tournament and some ghost battles. As someone who has played countless hours of Tekken 1/2/3, this game just seems so… bland.

The fighting feels good, but everything else just pales in comparison to Street Fighter 6, or even the older Tekken games. The backgrounds are boring. The music is just noise. All the characters look the same. Contrast this with Street Fighter 6 (or even Tekken 2), where every character looks like a character.

This game reminds me of how all the women in Uncharted 4 use the same model, just with different clothes and head.

Heat attack also seems completely out of place. (why the hell is Nina pulling out a gun during the match? it makes absolutely no sense.)

SF6 was a letdown in the music, more than Tekken (which I don’t disagree is just noise, but it’s true to the series unlike SF6). There is something to appreciate in Tekken music, and just sadness with the SF6 soundtrack.

My problem with SF6 was how quickly the matchup strats surfaced and were really singular. Even as a scrub watching no other videos for tactics, I quickly figured out how to defend against everyone on the roster, and then it became execution city.

I have hopes Tekken remains a Wild West for longer, because it’s that discovery period for mid level players that is meaningful. Once it congeals, all that is left is daunting meta.

//DEVIL//

Looks like Namco are just being pricks then. Games are $90 here in Canada. They are charging $4 more for no good reason. It’s the same price on Steam as well.

any game I want to buy, Ill just go to https://gg.deals/ and find the cheapest store that sells it really.

some of the stores I have been dealing with for years like enaba, instant-gaming. cd keys. all legit with no problems whatsoever.
hell. even greenmangaming is selling it for 76$ Canadian.

Last edited:
Top Bottom