• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 Demo - LIVE now PS5, Steam, XBS

NT80

Played the demo up through the tournament and some ghost battles. As someone who has played countless hours of Tekken 1/2/3, this game just seems so… bland.

The fighting feels good, but everything else just pales in comparison to Street Fighter 6, or even the older Tekken games. The backgrounds are boring. The music is just noise. All the characters look the same. Contrast this with Street Fighter 6 (or even Tekken 2), where every character looks like a character.

This game reminds me of how all the women in Uncharted 4 use the same model, just with different clothes and head.

Heat attack also seems completely out of place. (why the hell is Nina pulling out a gun during the match? it makes absolutely no sense.)
The Times Square stage looks great. It's one of the best looking stages in the series. The other 2 stages are quite bland but the full version has more fantastic looking backgrounds. SF6's demo only contained the 2 most boring looking stages of that game.

Reactions: Isa
Alright, nerds. I played the game this morning with fresh eyes, and I am sold. I completed everything there is to offer in the demo. The fun fighting and especially the story mode was the hook that got me.

I was all set to get it on PC. to avoid the Sony PlayStation Plus extortion... then I realized that I would be paying $100 for a digital game. I have only done this once, buying Baldur's Gate 3, and I regretted it four hours into the game. Never again. Hell, the PS5 disc is the expected $90 instead of the scummy $94 on digital stores. I can buy the PS5 disc and use that $4 toward a month of PS+ to try the online modes. It's a shame, as the PC version is the obvious choice otherwise.

PS: This game needs HDR. The current version's dynamic range is flat as a pancake.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

NT80

Alright, nerds. I played the game this morning with fresh eyes, and I am sold. I completed everything there is to offer in the demo. The fun fighting and especially the story mode was the hook that got me.

I was all set to get it on PC. to avoid the Sony PlayStation Plus extortion... then I realized that I would be paying $100 for a digital game. I have only done this once, buying Baldur's Gate 3, and I regretted it four hours into the game. Never again. Hell, the PS5 disc is the expected $90 instead of the scummy $94 on digital stores. I can buy the PS5 disc and use that $4 toward a month of PS+ to try the online modes. It's a shame, as the PC version is the obvious choice otherwise.

PS: This game needs HDR. The current version's dynamic range is flat as a pancake.
The closed beta had a HDR setting option that isn't in the demo. I would it to be there in the full version as it made quite a difference in the beta.

Luipadre

Someone said the beta had HDR but im pretty sure the demo didnt. Weird.

Top Bottom