• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution PS3 Excusive Free To Play 6/11/13

How would people feel if Killer Instinct was F2P? I wonder...

dead on arrival.

Most people barely remember their mains and everyone is going to play significantly different than the original games anyway

Why would they pay for characters they dont want? Tekken and DOA work because they both had recent releases and people know mostly how everyone works.

To put this into context, that would be the equivalent of blindly buying characters for a F2P Rival schools. You would be crazy to do such a thing.

GrayFoxPL

Harada tweated many moons ago that so far Hadoukens didn't work in Tekken system and they'll have to develop a new one. This game clearly was pain in the ass for him.

Not long ago we had news TxSF is going through platform strategy fase, some shit, could mean they're redeveloping it for Next Gen, could be so nonsense PR strategy.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Huh... not too excited yet.

I wonder, besides free to play, what makes this different from Tag Tournament 2?

Manbig

Yeah, only thing you actually need to pay for are boost to get exp/points faster or costumes

I find combo string characters the best for beginners, characters that rely on heavy poking and footsies are a no no.

I'm pretty sure that wonkey meant to practice vs those characters since they have incredibly annoying gimmicks that newcomers have to learn to deal with.

Unless there's a retail version with everything unlocked.... No.
No offense but beu are already plagued with dlc charas approach, full f2p moba model (Lol proved just how profitable this shit can be for developer) is way, way too much for me to digest

Erasus

I have to say this is friggin awesome! Ill download it just to have it and check it out. Im fine with the F2P model if done right, look at LoL, DoTA2, Blacklight, Planetside 2, TERA and Aion.

I don't understand what this is.

Its F2P Tekken. I assume downloadable on PSN.

Skilletor

Dead or Alive 5 outsells Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in Japan

and Team Ninja was good with the sales of DOA5 unlike Namco with TTT2.

I liked both games but considering both didnt do as hot as the previous games means the next game can get another decrease on the sequels. I hope their sales pick up.

To be fair, I believe Tecmo expected DoA to sell half as much as Namco expected Tekken to sale.

Who cares about this fanboy bullshit, though. F2P opens these games up to an audience unwilling to spend 60 bucks to try out the game. This is potentially good news for everybody.

Is this a revision? I just watched the trailer and those hit effects are new.

Tekken and DOA work because they both had recent releases and people know mostly how everyone works.

To put this into context, that would be the equivalent of blindly buying characters for a F2P Rival schools. You would be crazy to do such a thing.

Which is why most people want everyone available in training mode, so there's no blind buying.

PS3 only? Why not PC too?

cropped-biblethump.jpg

EDIT: Probably a simplified Tekken using TTT2 assets and a limited starting roster, I'd bet.

Erasus

Im starting to think that sony is going to a 100% F2P model on PS4...E3 Megaton...believe

O___o

Nah they wont.

But they are betting on it and its the right thing imo. Its huge on PC some gaffers dont even friggin know. MMOs cant be P2P now, GW2 model or F2P or bust. SWTOR, Rift, TERA and Aion moved to F2P

PS4 gonna have Warframe (Only played a bit but its a fun co-op tps) and Blacklight (FPS, also good)

8byte

Banned
Best model IMO:

4 Starter Characters (You Chose)
2 Character in Rotation every 2 weeks (out of a 50 man roster, this is good).
All Characters playable in Training Mode
Story Mode costs extra
Costumes / Cosmetics are for Pay
Characters sold individually for .99 or in bundles of 4 (or something like that).

I don't like the idea of a fighting game having 4 characters at the start. DOA's model doesn't mesh well with me. Hopefully Tekken's is different.

branny

Totally confused.

edit:
Best model IMO:

Story Mode costs extra
Characters sold individually for .99 or in bundles of 4 (or something like that).
All characters playable in training mode seems more than enough, tbh. Being able to choose a starter, let alone four, would be awesome but crazy.

I doubt this is TTT2: Free2Play, because they'll never make any money off it if people can just buy TTT2 for the complete game.

This has to be a different game of some kind.

Best model IMO:

Story Mode costs extra

I agree with this, although I don't think you should be able to choose which four characters you want. Too many people would just choose their mains and never pay a cent.

If we're doing "Ideal F2P Fighting Game Models"
  • All characters available in training mode
  • Free weekly rotation of 5 characters (Out of your standard 25-30 fighting roster)
  • In game currency, gotten through wins and challenge stuff, that can buy anything that is for sale
Honestly, League does F2P fine. I have no problem with going into training, figuring out who I want to main, then playing someone else until I can buy them without paying. I also think the player should be rewarded for wins with the bonus/cosmetic stuff (at a slow rate).

kick51

Banned
All characters unlocked with just shitloads of cosmetic stuff to buy and some kind of meaningless XP bars or whatever for people to get hooked to, while keeping it competitively balanced.

Played by fans, subsidized by OCD weirdos.

Doomshine

Kind of crazy that this is coming out in 3 days.

I wonder if this will be 1 on 1 only to differentiate itself from Tag 2?

foogles

When was the last time there was a free to play Tekken?

F2P is a PC concept that's being imported to consoles. IMO it makes sense for this to be on PC as there's a proven market for F2P games there.

It's an online gaming concept. There is absolutely nothing about F2P that makes it unique or only doable on PCs. It doesn't matter where it came from originally.

Also, you may not be aware of this, but Japanese developers generally do not like putting their games on PC. They don't really consider it a legitimate gaming platform. They may be wrong, but it's their game and they can put it where they want.

Finally, fighting games generally also do not do well on PC. Tekken is a fighting game first, a F2P game second. F2P is not a genre. It's a business model, and it's only one relatively small part of how a game plays.

AAK

*phew* SAFE. Thankfully no TxSF was announced *phew*

I don't know what this is. All I hope is that it's just TTT2 with a F2P model the same way DOA5U works. Regardless what this is, I'm never letting go of TTT2.

This is great. This is GREAT. Fighting games going F2P model is possibly the best thing that will ever happen to them. All that new blood can only do us good.

Dahbomb

F2P fighting games makes sense from a business perspective, but I still don't want it to kill non-F2P ones.
In a perfect world we would have both.

A full retail version with everything unlocked at $60 and a F2P with limited content version that you have the option to either upgrading to the full version or paying for just the content you want.

Unfortunately one of these models will supersede the other one resulting in limited choices for all.

WanderingLibra

Neo Member
If it doesn't have new characters, new stages, tekken tunes, and better costumes than TTT2 than why bother? I don't understand why they are releasing a F2P tekken game that will probably have less content than TTT2.

Top Bottom